Windows 10

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Windows 10

Post by lestat »

You had to completely wipe nvidia software from your win8 install for the win10 drivers to install.

Stupid nvidia should have updated their installer to do this for you.

I have noticed a few bugs too, so win10 nvidia drivers still need some polish.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

so my desktop has win 7 ultimate and its not genuine but its says i can update for free

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Windows 10 now running on my PC and Surface. Over the weekend I'll see how the games run on this.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I'm still to tinker with GTAV and Elite Dangerous to see if I'm getting better fps.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

ObSoLeTe wrote:so my desktop has win 7 ultimate and its not genuine but its says i can update for free
I'm curious to see if it works!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Is there a trick to cast media from my laptop to my smart tv now? I right click on cast to device and it shows the tv but does nothing!
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Never mind it just needed a simple restart all fixed.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

a simple restart seems a bit complicated for the Qlders. :P
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Windows 10 has shitcanned Outlook? Fuck.....
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

lestat wrote:You had to completely wipe nvidia software from your win8 install for the win10 drivers to install.

Stupid nvidia should have updated their installer to do this for you.

I have noticed a few bugs too, so win10 nvidia drivers still need some polish.
I have just updated my only computer that doesn't have an Nvidia graphics card, and the upgrade has gone smoothly :)

So what you are saying is... uninstall Nvidia Experience and any other Nvidia software on my Win8.1/Win7 computers before I do the Windows 10 update? Because at the moment I have 4 x computers with Nvidia cards, and this is making me a bit nervous.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I never install GeForce Experience, and I had zero issues with upgrading from 8.1 w/ drivers installed to 10. I just had to re-install the W10 drivers.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

After installing Windows 10 and having a few issues I had to disable the graphics card in device manager and managed to get the proper Nvidia drivers installed.

Might be safer/easier to uninstall everything Nvidia first though.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:After installing Windows 10 and having a few issues I had to disable the graphics card in device manager and managed to get the proper Nvidia drivers installed.

Might be safer/easier to uninstall everything Nvidia first though.
I have just updated the first of my 4 computers with the Nvidia Graphics card... Windows 10 installed okay, but it doesn't seem to like the Nvidia GeForce Experience and it's drivers, and I have uninstall them first before I proceed with the Windows 10 update.

Problem is, once I uninstall all the Nvidia software, Windows 8 was too being too clever and reinstall them again for me, sigh :down:

At the moment, I seem to be reinstalling the Nvidia drivers over and over again WTF!!!

You know, you would think that with something as big as Windows10, these sort of stuff would have been tested properly before hand.

Anyway, I'm holding off upgrading the other computers until Nvidia / Microsoft fixes this problem.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

I was definitely on an old technical build. I reinstalled my win7 just to get my free upgrade. Besides having to wade through win 7 updates, the install for 10 was easy. Work laptop already updated from 8.1 no problem as well. Holding off on my workstation in case it fucks up virtualbox like the technical preview did.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

I'm scratching my head... I reinstalled the Nvidia driver again and it worked - it took ages for the system to load all the files after I restarted the computer.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Just finished downloading it and it's verifying, hopefully this doesn't take too long as I'd like to start the install before I head to bed.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Windows 10 installed, totally painless and all files and folders intact. Surprised that a lot of my Win7 apps work too. :up:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Installing and upgrading now. Fingers crossed no dramas
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

So, nil issues installing Win 10. Everything is running fine with exception of my keyboard. It's a known issue with the Logitech G510 but whenever I use the volume jogger the screen flickers and there is a beeping noise. Highly annoying but something that is affecting everyone. Hopefully MS or Logitech issue a patch soon. Otherwise, clean and easy install. Very happy MS are going the Apple route of updating their OS.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Don't download Windows 10 if you do any photo work with Fuji or Nikon, compatibility is broken.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I came across an issue over the weekend that was really frustrating, the bug was causing runtimebroker.exe to consume a single core spinning 100%. Was hard to find the root cause but enough searching the web I found a fix that worked.

In notifications turning off show windows tips solves the issue, I had this issue occur on 2 machines. So be aware of it folks.

The laptop I built for my mother also developed a weird issue where windows store apps stopped updating, fixing that involved booting the machine in safe mode, using a powershell script to reinstall all stock apps.

All these issues revolve around modern apps, so there are still lots of bugs to be resolved imo in the modern framework. Everything else win32 related on all my PCs has worked great though.

In other news I was able to boost my overclock back to 4.6ghz from 4.5ghz and not have hibernate issues, windows 10 seems to play much nicer with power saving and my desktop bios, I've noticed it's better on my transformer tablet too.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

If you have Minecraft, you can get the free W10 version (it's called Beta so maybe they're being dicks) by signing into Mojang.com and linking your old Minecraft i.d. You'll get the W10 MC Beta redeem code.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition is basically just Pocket Edition running on PC. You can't multiplayer with other people running the normal client, and there's no Realms support.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

New Nvidia drivers today. They fixed my BF4 crashing.
-------------------------------------
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

itch wrote:New Nvidia drivers today. They fixed my BF4 crashing.
Good for you... but now my GeForce Experience doesn't know how to optimise my Dota2 and Heroes of the Storm settings :roll: