Windows 10

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Windows 10

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Because after the Xbox, 360 and One we all know Microsoft can't count.

So it seems that the One Windows for everything idea is finally coming to fruition:

Would certainly make Windows Phone more attractive if it's running the exact same OS as my desktop and tablet and HTPC. I guess the Xbox One will receive a pretty big Windows 10 update too? Might sway a few who have yet to commit to the next gen (like me).

And the Start Menu finally returns:

The user interface feels familiar yet modern. The "dual mode" - which aimed to satisfy tablet and PC users, but alienated both - has been replaced with a dynamically-adjusting interface and behaviour, determined by whether you are using a keyboard/mouse, or touch.
Which is what everyone said they should have done with Windows 8 :|

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29431412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: Windows 10

Post by Madmya »

Do we know why it's Windows 10 and not 9?

Other than that it sounds good to me.
Ambrose Burnside

Marketing gobbledegook - "We made so many changes we had to skip 9 and go straight to 10!!!"
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

:mooreon:
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Windows 10 to mark the leap towards unifying all devices. They were considering Windows One but decided against it as the name had already been used.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

They should be doing it. Universal apps across Home, Tablet & Phone would very appealing for me.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So basically, Windows 10 is what 8 should have been. I'm OK with that.
Somebody on The Verge opined that it looks like it should be called Windows 7+ and that's not a good thing. Given the debacle that the Start Screen is/was, this is a good thing, ffs.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

They should get rid of the bright spark who got rid of the Start Menu, and give everyone who's currently on Windows 8/8.1 a free upgrade.

Also, how about bring back DVD and BluRay playback! FFS, get rid of the eeediot who thinks it was a good idea to remove it in Windows8/8.1.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

My advice to others has always to skip every second version of Windows. You keep compatibility and seem to miss the crap. Windows 2000, skip ME, XP, skip Vista, 7, skip 8 and now Windows 10.

I am weary of the one store Apple style bullshit and I hate the coloured squares and rectangles that I still see in screenshots of 10.

Most importantly for my desktop PC is the ability to arrange / organise my installed programs the way I want to on the start menu. I have been doing this for years and its quicker for me than typing in a search field. It was a lot harder to do in 7, but could get it done. This is what I mean:

:rock:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

If it's anything like the App Store on OSX, you're still free to get software from elsewhere.

I wonder if apps will be required to support all devices? Sounds like a pain in the bum for developers.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

On OSX I'm running snow leopard (mid 2010 MBP) and I'm finding lots of software not being compatible with it lately since it's "old". But on Windows with winxp/vista it's a different story, there's still software available for it and it's much older.

I know mavericks is freely available on the App Store but I've read those user reviews and decided against it.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I laughed when I read they called it Windows 10. I seriously thought it was a joke. What has been shown so far really only seems to be windows 8.2. They first announced the new start menu as coming in a windows 8 update. So now it's in a new operating system. The universal os does sound good and is worthy of a new moniker though. From what I read they didn't show much if anything of the touch experience saying that won't be shown till next year. Not sure what is going to be in the preview then.

1, 2 skip a few, 7, 8, Windows 10!
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

This looks awesome. I wish I still had a windows pc, maybe if I ever get a bigger place. Windows 8 was a dog but this actually looks decent.

It's funny working in the US - was busy bagging Windows 8 yesterday and it turned out the QA manager who sits next to me did QA on it. Hah.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

My PC is ready, so is my tablet, phone and console. :D

They didn't confirm it's a free update for 8.1 users? I saw rumors about it but didn't see anything in official PR yesterday.
Ambrose Burnside

Gamma wrote:If it's anything like the App Store on OSX, you're still free to get software from elsewhere.

I wonder if apps will be required to support all devices? Sounds like a pain in the bum for developers.
I thought developers would love it? They only need to write one app instead of one for Windows, one for Windows RT ( :lol: ), one for Windows Phone and one for Xbox.

The next Nexus phone was the front runner to replace my HTC 8X. Now I will wait to see if Google and Microsoft will kiss and make up and all the Google apps come to Windows 10. That will probably be enough to sway me.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

This could potentially be awesome for the bone?
mech

Post by mech »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Gamma wrote:If it's anything like the App Store on OSX, you're still free to get software from elsewhere.

I thought developers would love it? They only need to write one app instead of one for Windows, one for Windows RT ( :lol: ), one for Windows Phone and one for Xbox.

The next Nexus phone was the front runner to replace my HTC 8X. Now I will wait to see if Google and Microsoft will kiss and make up and all the Google apps come to Windows 10. That will probably be enough to sway me.
Yes, just 'one' app, that has to support all those different sizes and inputs. Should be easy.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

lestat wrote:My PC is ready, so is my tablet, phone and console. :D

They didn't confirm it's a free update for 8.1 users? I saw rumors about it but didn't see anything in official PR yesterday.
It farken better be a free upgrade for poor 8.1 users like myself :x
Ambrose Burnside

Misread the post. Thought you meant is it possible not will you be forced to. No, you wont be forced to, that's been confirmed.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Just played with it in VirtualBox. So far, it's really nice. The best bits of Windows 7 and Windows 8 put together is a perfectly apt description.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

With my 8.1 pie-rat activation playing up I might just buy a proper windows 10.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

so my initial impressions of it running in a VM were so good, I went and installed it on real hardware. So far, it's very very nice. Its performance is being severely limited by the hard drive I put it on though, but it's still good.

The biggest annoyance so far is the Metro apps deciding to run fullscreen by default. Makes sense on a smaller screen, but surely MS can tell I have a 30" monitor. I like the way the window titlebars change colour to match the background image, but I'd really like my 'glass' transparencies back.

I miss Sidebar Gadgets. I know they've been gone since Windows 8, but there are some very handy ones out there - the Daemon Tools one in particular has been very useful, IMO. So far, I've not been able to replicate the functionality of the Sidebar with Apps. In fact, as far as I can tell, Apps from the store are buggy as all hell.

In the entire time I've been a PC geek, I've only ever been excited about one Windows release - Windows 7. Windows 10 comes pretty close, though.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

My understanding regarding the name situation is code-related - with Win95a, 95b, 98 and 98SE all built on most of the same framework, a lot of programmers got lazy when it came to getting their programs to check OS compatability, by writing code along the lines of "if name of OS starts with 'Windows 9', then run in mode <blah>".

That could be garbage, though. Maybe there's no windows 9 because 7 8 it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

You should have said "maybe they went straight to 10 because 7 8 9"

I had heard about the OS check thing but I'd say it's BS. Why release something close to OSX and call it 9. X is like 1 better. But then use 10 not like that old timey Roman bullshit, we use real numbers!
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

flipswitch wrote:On OSX I'm running snow leopard (mid 2010 MBP) and I'm finding lots of software not being compatible with it lately since it's "old". But on Windows with winxp/vista it's a different story, there's still software available for it and it's much older.
A much higher percentage of OSX users run the latest version than do Windows users, which is likely a factor. I guess it depends what you're using it for, I've always gotten a really good run out of my MBs and MBPs. I'm also using Snow Leopard (though I'm stuck on it due to hardware, no option to upgrade further), and it runs the latest version of Lightwave 3D. I was astonished, my MacBook is eight years old. The only trouble I've run into was a C obfuscator that required 10.9, though admittedly it's been a while since I've updated any of my audio software.

My main point was that Misly doesn't have to be wary of "one store Apple style bullshit", since Apple style bullshit doesn't lock you into one store in the first place, and I'd be very surprised if MS didn't take the same approach with Win10.

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Misread the post. Thought you meant is it possible not will you be forced to. No, you wont be forced to, that's been confirmed.
So apps might be universal or might not? I'm not seeing how this is substantially different from having separate OS families. I guess it gives the outward appearance of a single unified OS, but does that really help anyone other than the MS marketing team?

K.T.Shoe[BMs] wrote:
lestat wrote:My PC is ready, so is my tablet, phone and console. :D

It farken better be a free upgrade for poor 8.1 users like myself :x
Free upgrade for all Windows 9 users.