Windows 10

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Windows 10

Post by Cletus »

Just updated the Vita to Windows 10.

Next up, the oven.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Hahahah fuck you.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I'm not trawling through the thread, so are you saying you can't update your Surface or a desktop or both?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Just Surface. The one you'd think would be the easiest.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Is there any way you can hook up an external DVD drive and do the install from that?
-------------------------------------
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

For my desktop, I did the change settings to US method and downloaded it using the update tool thing rather than Windows Update which failed about 10 times. The installation was sitting on 91% complete forever, thought it had hung but now it's up to 95% and sitting there forever. Hopefully it works...
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I haven't tried that itch and the only way I could is by purchasing an external DVD drive. I probably would do that if it meant I could install it but I'm doubtful it'd make a difference. I have used methods other than the USB being an external drive - the media creation tool that ambrose mentions above is entirely on your hdd and works from there. I get the exact same error.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah, that is strange for the Surface. I wouldn't have expected that. Very annoying.

I just checked my H.O.T.A.S and that's all sweet, head tracking is fine.

Main pc boots in around 6.5 seconds. Surface Pro boots about the same but seems faster because there's no bios screen first. Laptop is definitely faster but I'm not timing it...I'd guess it's around thirty to forty seconds over the odd minute it used to take.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Madmya: If you could borrow one of someone might be worth a try?

Cletus: Any idea if it's possible to turn off password login? I'd prefer not to have to do that on my desktop.
-------------------------------------
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Set a pin or picture password?

Or set it to auto login?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/wind ... atic-logon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yep, I set a 4 digit pin ages ago. Signing in once for me is fine...bash the same number key four times (five if you count lifting the first screen).

My whole issue a while ago was that I couldn't figure out why I had to sign in every time the screen went to sleep after ten minutes but it's an admin setting and easily turned off (once you find it).
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/ ... r-old-pcs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :up:
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Got mine working, enjoying it so far.

Only issue is my sound card software isn't showing up, but the card itself works.
Ambrose Burnside

It took pretty much all of yesterday to get Windows 10 on my desktop. Just the installation process took that long. One it was installed I had to re-install my Nvidia drivers, but it all seems to be running well now.

Today, I'll be attempting a clean install :run:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I can't find anything that won't upgrade. I just installed Windows 10 to a banana smoothie.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yup. Even my cats are running Windows 10 now.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

"Even my dick is running Windows 10."
Ambrose Burnside

Full install worked well :D
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I can't even reinstall Windows 8.1

Time to format.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

All I had to do was add the AllowOSUpgrade key. It then allowed me to force the upgrade. Apparently MS isn't allowing some PCs to upgrade until they are 100% sure it will work.

Had no problems.

Remote access wouldn't work though which turned out to be that network discovery had been turned off in the upgrade. Kinda odd that remote access doesn't work without that on.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

dunno if anybody else has experienced this, but MS seems to dick around with mouse sensitivity with each new version of Windows. This time around, I've had to delve into my mouse's hardware settings (ie not drivers) to get things back to where I like them - even at max sensitivity in the Windows settings, while 'enhance pointer precision' is turned on, it's too slow, compared to Win7.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

i can't even start the install.. the product key I have for my laptop is for Windows 7.. and i have upgraded to 8 and then 8.1... I went and got the product key showing in System.. and it has zeros and ones in it and apparently they are not valid keys. WTF.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well I've just started an install on a W7 laptop so we'll see if that's a thing for me too.

EDIT: How far into the process did you get? I just did the same method on Nicole's old W7 laptop and it's installing now. I've had to force start 4 installs and each one has gone through. Are you blokes doing the second option? I'm just going with Upgrade. 5 fresh installs is too much to deal with for me right now.

unfnknblvbl wrote:dunno if anybody else has experienced this, but MS seems to dick around with mouse sensitivity with each new version of Windows. This time around, I've had to delve into my mouse's hardware settings (ie not drivers) to get things back to where I like them - even at max sensitivity in the Windows settings, while 'enhance pointer precision' is turned on, it's too slow, compared to Win7.
The Surface had to be readjusted in mouse settings as it had also been set back at a slower speed. The desktop is running a G series Logitech mouse and its software which seemed to have the priority settings.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I can't even get to that point as it seems as though the product key my version of windows is running does not compute.

I've tried the Windows 7 product key.
I've tried the Windows 8 product key that came on the email when I bought it.
I've tried the one currently loaded in my system that has characters that the Windows 10 installer says is invalid.

On a weird note.. I have had a look and it seems as though my PC has tried to install WIN 10 for a few days now.. and it keeps failing with an error that - when you click on it.. sends you to a generic help section of MS that does NOTHING to explain the fucking error.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

:nana:
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote: i can't even start the install.. the product key I have for my laptop is for Windows 7.. and i have upgraded to 8 and then 8.1... I went and got the product key showing in System.. and it has zeros and ones in it and apparently they are not valid keys. WTF.
Madmya wrote: Sounds plausible. In any case, I found my product key and it is not the Product ID. Trying a clean install. I'm a bit worried.
I'm assuming you've since tried legit keys though? I've heard some people say that their legit keys are being rejected, but later on it just magically works again as if the Windows servers may have been getting flooded at the time.

I had to format, install Windows 8.1, then install Windows 10 to get it to work. As a side note for those with surfaces: When the Surface is off, holding volume down+turning the surface back on will allow the surface to boot from a USB stick.