NRL 2015 - Cleary gone! Mx tears ensue

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Re: NRL 2015 - Cleary gone! Mx tears ensue

Post by mxlegend99 »

I like the time slots for viewing on TV. But not for attending the games. It's a bit hard on people with jobs trying to make it to games after work and with work the following day. If they cared about crowds at all they would be trying to make the games more friendly to attend.

If they cared about crowds we would eliminate Monday and Thursday night games altogether unless they fall on or before a public holiday. Have 2x Friday, 3x Saturday and 3x Sunday games during daylight savings, then move the second Friday game to Sunday after daylight savings. Making use of different time zones you can have far more crowd family times and still have every game live on TV.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Did Ben Hunt put this deal together? Because the ball has really been dropped on this one.

Friday at 6pm is fucking retarded
Thursday night is fucking retarded
Monday night has always been fucking retarded

mx is spot - this is shit for crowds. I guarantee crowd numbers will continue to drop. This is going to keep the movement towards killing off the idea and appeal of seeing games live.

On top of that, playing games 5 days a week will continue to erode the quality of games as teams get less recovery time and preparation time, much like how the Thursday night NFL games are pure dog shit.

NRL coverage continues to degrade...
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

At least it's only for one season

Thursday-Sunday is much better than Friday-Monday
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

So the Titans have fucked up majorly and it has cost them James Roberts.

Apparently the Broncos are favorites to sign him at the moment. The year is nearly over and there's a lot of players futures yet to be decided:

Peta Hiku - Attracting heavy interest from Panthers, Eels and Dragons apparently. I would imagine Titans will come in with an offer now too.
Dylan Walker - Was all but signed to Manly, but James Roberts availability could change that. My guess is he will be at the Sea Eagles though
Tim Lafai - Apparently Titans are interested in him now, and Panthers, Eels, Dragons and Sharks have expressed interest also.
James Roberts - Every club is interested. But Broncos are the favorites. It's just up the road for him, they have a good coach and are a strong and regularly successful club. Would probably take twice as much from another club to get him.

Chris McQueen is being shopped around.
Tim Grant is being shopped around.
Chris Grevsmuhl could end up at Panthers early if the above two can't be sold.

Honestly it's hard to name a line-up for many teams in Round 1 with all the players on the market and teams trying to sign them and then get rid of other players to do so.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Would loooooooooove James Roberts. That bloke has a massive future.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Absolute rort if the Broncos get him
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Remember that bloke Justin Hodges? He hasn't been replaced yet. Surely will have cap space.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

You just made a grand final and the cheaper guys in your roster will be looking at upgraded contracts. hodges money would have already been spent.

If you land him you will supposedly be offloading a few guys to do so and making the offseason even crazier.

Personally i don't want Panthers to get anyone except Chris Grevsmuhl. Our backline has 4 of 5 positions set in stone and we have 4 promising young players fighting for the last spot. Fuck wasting cap space on a solid player like Hiku or Lafai when we have players who could be better one day if given the chance. With 4 guys and one spot the odds are in our favor that atleast one guy steps up.

Edit
1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Whare
4 or 5. DWZ

George Jennings for wing if DWZ plays centre
Robert Jennings for centre
Waqa Blake for centre
Will Smith for centre

Rather any of those over Hiku or Lafai
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Panthers signed Peta Hiku
That frees space for Sea Eagles to sign Dylan Walker.

I'm more pissed off about this then losing Cleary or Idris. I was cool with losing Idris as we have some insane talent in reserve grade and the jersey up for grabs was great incentive and reward for the likes of George Jennings, Robert Jennings, Waqa Blake and Will Smith to fight for a first grade spot.

Now there's no spot available. The backline is set in stone barring injury and those 4 players are going to be looking elsewhere. I think atleast 2 of them will be better than Peta Hiku, and could even see all 4 being better than him. I really don't rate Hiku that highly. He's a solid and reliable first grader. He has been lucky enough to have a lot of injuries ahead of him for New Zealand to be a solid test player also. But he's not a special talent or close to superstar material. Robert Jennings and Waqa Blake could be. George Jennings and Will Smith could be solid first grade players also at a far lower price.

edit
So the two players left on the market are James Roberts and Tim Lafai.

Last reports are that James Roberts is going to either Broncos or Rabbitohs.
Tim Lafai is supposedly getting a big offer from Titans.

Eels and Dragons are chasing both players (and Walker) heavily but don't seem to be a realistic chance. I suppose Dylan Walker could end up elsewhere also, but the purpose of offloading Hiku was to sign Dylan Walker. So I'm confident he is a Sea Eagle.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Titans have to go for Lafai. The only other option is Dylan Walker but he's strongly linked to Manly.

The Broncos will run into the the upgraded contracts problem but that doesn't happen until their contracts are up. I'm not too fussed on James Roberts. Would love to have him as he's a weapon, but we got to the GF without him.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Official:
Peta Hiku - Panthers
Tim Lafai - Dragons
Will Hopoate - Bulldogs (Letting Lafai go to sign him. :lol: )

Almost certain:
Dylan Walker - Sea Eagles

This leaves James Roberts as the only star centre without a new club. South Sydney and Brisbane are the two clubs he is linked most heavily to at the moment. But I expect the above players having committed elsewhere to mean that other clubs might have a crack at James Roberts to atleast push up his price for those teams, or maybe even be willing to get rid of some players to bring him in.

Surely Tigers would have a lot of cap space left? They released Martin Taupau early and at the moment Brooks and Moses are refusing to commit. So they would be in a great position to offer him big money atleast for years 2 and onward.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I reckon Souths will land Roberts.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Meanwhile the Eels will land no one
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Eels have already signed:

Michael Gordon
Beau Scott
Keiran Foran
Mitch Cornish
Clint Gutherson
Keiran Moss
James Hasson
Cameron King
Rory O'Brien
Kelepi Tanginoa
Matthew Woods
Scott Shulte

Some big name players. Some promising young players and solid fringe players. Not sure how much money they could possibly have left after Scott and Foran ontop of Watmough last year. But they still were suppsedly right in there to sign Hiku and Lafai, and are right in there to sign Roberts also.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I just meant lately, let Hopoate go but no outside backs to replace him
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

So it looks as though Roberts has signed with the Broncos and for fuck all money under the salary cap in 2016. Will be getting a bit of a pay rise in 2017 and 2018, but still on massive unders compared to what other clubs were prepared to pay under the salary cap. Meanwhile he will probably walk away with a lot more money through their dodgy third party deals.

That said I am glad he has gone to a decent club with a decent coach. The guy is probably the biggest freak in the NRL and Wayne Bennett will help him become a superstar. Not sure he can do it in his first season, but I think by 2017 he will be an Origin representative and possibly even Australian player.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

This looks to be the best outcome for rugby league.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Madmya wrote:This looks to be the best outcome for rugby league.

thread deleted
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

The only good outcome is for NSW. If he develops under Wayne Bennett as I expect, I would love him playing right centre with Blake Ferguson on the wing outside of him. They would be an insanely damaging right hand combination. Would be pretty exciting seeing them up against the Queensland left edge of Inglis and Boyd.

Wayne Bennett might finally develop a player that can beat Greg Inglis head to head more than once in a series. A guy with the pace and acceleration of James Roberts would be an absolute nightmare to defend. Even the slightest bit of hesitation in making a defensive read and he will beat you. He and Anthony Milford are going to be on highlight reels every week IMO.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Almost time for a 2016 thread
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

What a season of league. This is probably my favourite moment:
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Nope. Best moment was Ben Hunt handing the Cowboys their first ever Grand Final victory. That moment was so epic people have nearly entirely forgotten about SKD doing the dumbest fucking thing ever.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

The biggest moment of the season was the grand final finish. I believe you misread me when I said "my favourite moment".
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I don't understand why the GF finish wasn't your fav moment as well given how good it was for the sport and how it cemented that game as an all-time great match.

From a Games-Ranch perspective it was also the moment that sent testical fleeing into self-imposed exile.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

A sensational game that epitomised the sport. The entire day was great, but the manner in how we lost it will always taint it for me. But that's okay, I have many Cowboys fans and they cherish it. I'd be a mess had it been against a team I hated, or had the entire day been spiteful. It's actually crazy to think the Broncos and Cowboys played each other 4 times this year. Three of those games were belters, absolute gems. We finish 2-all, unfortunately Cowboys winning the important one in extra time.

What do you reckon Candy, try of the year?