NRL 2015 - Cleary gone! Mx tears ensue

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Re: NRL 2015 - Cleary gone! Mx tears ensue

Post by mxlegend99 »

Madmya wrote:Talk of Soward leaving, now this. Something is not right at Penrith.
Cleary was sacked because Gus believed he looked tired and couldn't improve for 2016.

Gus had a similar conversation with Soward and offered him a coaching role if he wasn't motivated to play.

Not upset at Cleary leaving. I don't think we can win a premiership with him. But if we sign Griffin it just resets our progress and I don't think there's a premiership on the cards with him either.

Should be going after Toovey or promoting Brennan from reserve grade on 1 year deals with options in our favour. Meanwhile throw everything we can at Bellamy for when his contract expires.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I'd personally much rather Hook than Tooves. Hook with Gould will be good, Tooves is too matey with the players I reckon. Plus, I think this is one of those times where you just have to think Gus knows what he's doing.

But I don't buy the story Gus put out. Something happened.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

http://www.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/n ... 7580743646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Madmya wrote:I'd personally much rather Hook than Tooves. Hook with Gould will be good, Tooves is too matey with the players I reckon. Plus, I think this is one of those times where you just have to think Gus knows what he's doing.

But I don't buy the story Gus put out. Something happened.
Paul Kent thinks Gus has handled the situation well and that it's his reaction to Ivan Cleary heading back to the Warriors in 2017, if not earlier. There were rumours circulating a few months ago that we would be releasing him for him to coach at the Warriors in 2016. But both clubs and Ivan denied them back then.

Not really upset at losing Ivan. He's a good coach, but he's still a bit stubborn and really the only thing he has done well is get the team to perform well even with injuries. He hasn't made the call to drop players, injury has hit shit players and he had no other choice but to debut players when it happened.

ie. 2013, Dean Whare was our first choice fullback. Wes Naiqama was one of our centres. Both players sucked in their positions and so he just swapped them around. Dean Whare was an absolute gun at centre. But Wes Naiqama was still shit. He was then injured and Matt Moylan was called up into first grade. Prior to that he was told he wasn't likely to feature in the team. He kills it and suddenly we realise we need to keep him, but he wasn't even in our top 25 and couldn't be picked when Naiqama was fit.

Cleary also let Blake Austin go after sticking by Burns and Walsh in the halves. If Hook comes in and moves Moylan to the halves, drops Wallace from the team altogether and maybe uses Te Maire Martin on the bench like he did Hunt at first I will be stoked.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Thought I'd put this here instead of the Buy Sell forum. Got this brand new sealed jersey for sale, official merch. Size medium, $40.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Sold! To Madmya!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

A Canadian theatre critic has bizarrely broken a massive league story – that Tigers forward Marty Taupau has signed a huge four year deal with Manly starting next season.

J Kelly Nestruck is a journalist with a Canadian newspaper and amazingly, was sent Taupau’s contract instead of it going to his namesake Joe Kelly, the Manly chief executive.

Nestruck, who has over 7000 twitter followers, posted the news of the signing on the social media website after being emailed the contract by Taupe’s management.

“Anyone cover the New Zealand rugby league and want the contract of a player called Martin Taupau that was just emailed to me by accident?” a bemused Nestruck told his followers.

“Breaking: Martin Taupau signs three-year deal with Manly–Warringah Sea Eagles, 2016 – 2019.

“Apparently, a guy named Joe Kelly is the CEO of the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles rugby team… and I get his emails.”
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/taupaus-c ... -revealed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

So what the fuck happened to the Sea Eagles salary cap?

DCE has signed a $10m contract over the next 6 years.
Lewis Brown signed for decent money (more than Panthers could/would offer)
Api Korisau signed a deal that was worth more than his $250k deal that he would have had at the Panthers in 2016.
Nate Myles signed for decent money.
The Tbojevic brothers have been re-signed for what you would imagine are upgraded contracts.

Guys like Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Jamie Lyon etc. would be on massive contracts. How the fuck could they land a player like Taupau? He would surely be on $500k+ a season. He's an absolute beast and would have been in high demand.

Oh well. For all the good they have done in the roster. They sacked Geoff Toovey and replaced him with Trent Barrett. Fringe top 8 side at best IMO. Unless he has improved out of sight since taking the Panthers Under 20's to 10th place in 2014 while the coaches before and after him won the Grand Final.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

mxlegend99 wrote:Guys like Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Jamie Lyon etc. would be on massive contracts. How the fuck could they land a player like Taupau? He would surely be on $500k+ a season.
He turned down $1.1m over two years from the Tigers, so yep.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Can't believe I can't watch the NZ/England game on TV here legally this weekend :down:
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Jarryd Hayne's agent says 'no chance' on NRL great returning to rugby league
Is he a great now?
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

49ers have Reggie Bush and Mike Davis go down and it's a strong chance they will need to recall Hayne. But with any luck another team picks him up first. Or 49ers are too stubborn to recall him this quickly and he sits in practice squads being ignored. IMO the worst possible outcome is him ending up back on their 53 man roster. They suck and he will never improve in that environment.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Correction: The worst possible outcome is he joins my Seattle Seahawks.

And Jamal Idris is gone! Panthers falling apart. What's the real reason mx? Gus is telling porkies again.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Jamal Idris said he was happy at the club and the club was happy to have him, but Gus said that it was on certain provisions which clearly Jamal Idris wasn't willing to meet.

I think under Ivan Cleary the players were shown a bit of leniency. Idris didn't have a diet or make any attempts to keep his weight under control. He has gotten even fatter since doing his ACL. For Jamal Idris Rugby League was just a job, and he wasn't willing to do any of those extra things to be a better player or less of a liability. He was injury prone I think as a result of the extra weight he carried around. His joints were under a lot more pressure than probably any other centre. Not a good position to be that heavy in. So many direction changes and having to move at pace.

With a new coach all teams tend to make cuts to players. When Cleary arrived he cleared out the likes of Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis, Petero Civoniceva, Lachlan Coote etc. This time around the only player to leave so far is Jamal Idris... and we're honestly in a lot better position to cover him than we were with Michael Jennings. We have young guys Waqa Blake, Robert Jennings, George Jennings and Will Smith all sitting in reserve grade waiting for a spot to open up and now those blokes will be fighting for it.

The Cleary sacking and hiring of Griffin was indeed strange. But nothing since then is. I expect we will see a few guys kicked out or deciding to leave. Hopefully Wallace is next. I want to see Te Marie Martin and Matt Moylan both developed as halves in 2016 (with Soward being our #7) and in 2017 having that be our halves pairing. Or atleast by the end of 2017 work toward that. Happy for Te Marie Martin to be a benchie up until then.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

For the money Idris would have been on he's better gone. Says a lot if he's gone because Gus loved him
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Panthers have extended DWZs contract for the 2017 season. Great news as there was rumour he was not going to be able to play again or might go on his mormon mission.

Even more amazing... Gus has re-signed Nathan Cleary for a further 3 years only weeks after sacking his dad. Managed to hold onto both Robert and George Jennings after sacking their brother aswell.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Don't think we have a Union thread on here, so this is probably the best place to post it. But Jonah Lomu has passed away earlier today at only 40 years of age. Never been a Union fan and mostly only known him from having his own video games and a ridiculous reputation as being a beast player. But it's still incredibly sad to think that such an amazing athlete has passed away at such a young age.

Was a good reason to look up some highlight clips of him on Youtube. The guy was an absolute freak. A player so big and fast, with ridiculous balance and determination. Any run where he actually got tackled was surprising. He was definitely in a class of his own.

RIP.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:suicide: Madmya :suicide:
:suicide: testical who is still MIA :suicide:
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Dylan Walker released (probably off to those cunts at Manly)

New TV deal announced tomorrow (apparently)
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

NRL broadcast rights deal announced

Rugby League will reach more fans than ever before – both in Australia and globally – under a massive new NRL broadcast deal unveiled today.

The ARL Commission, Nine Network, News Corp Australia, FOX SPORTS, and Telstra have formed a partnership to provide free to air television, pay television and mobile coverage of Rugby League for five years from 2018.

The deal is worth $1.8 billion to the NRL – 70 per cent higher than the existing rights.

With the sale of international and radio rights to come, it is anticipated that the total value of the final package will exceed $1.9 billion.

Under the agreement, many of the changes to improve the schedule of games will start from 2016 - two years early.

Under the new package:

• Telstra Premiership matches will be held five days a week in 2016 – from Thursday to Monday inclusive – before reverting to four days a week (Thursday to Sunday) in 2017

• From 2017 the Monday night game will be moved to Friday at 6pm

• Nine Network will telecast games live and free to air on Thursday and Friday nights and Sunday afternoon in 2016

• FOX SPORTS will show all eight games every weekend – including five exclusive telecasts each weekend.Super Saturday, featuring three live games, will be retained by FOX SPORTS.

• The last five Saturday night games of each season will be telecast on free to air television in the build up to the Finals series

• From 2017 FOX SPORTS will run a dedicated Rugby League channel – giving the game more exposure than any time in the game's history

• News Corp Australia will use its local media and newspaper resources to promote the game wherever it is played

• And it will use its worldwide resources to take NRL on to the global stage where we believe over time its incredible appeal will see an army of new fans emerge

• Telstra will remain the naming rights partner of the NRL and will telecast the game digitally on its mobile network as well as replays and highlights on its new Telstra TV platform in 2016.

Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman, John Grant said the package was a win for all the game's stakeholders and especially its fans.

"We have delivered the very best outcome for the game as a whole," he said.

"In revisiting the number of free to air games in this agreement, we were responding to the value both Nine and News Corp Australia saw in the Saturday game. Compared to our current schedule, this result still means more games live and free for our fans and gives grass roots and elite clubs and organisations immense financial benefits," he said.

"The ARL Commission has been working on a revised schedule to incorporate the 18 Thursday night games in 2016 in conjunction with the television rights negotiations without increasing the number of 5 day turn-arounds for players. This will be released this afternoon," he said.

Hugh Marks, CEO of Nine Entertainment Co. said "This is an outstanding result for the game with more live and free coverage for NRL fans from 2016.

"Nine has always placed enormous value on its strong media partnership with Rugby League and that will only grow over the next seven years. Our quality coverage of NRL games will this year be complemented by the NRL Rookie - just one of many ways we seek to expand and enrich our fans' experience on free to air."

News Corp Australia chief executive Peter Tonagh said "This is a truly outstanding deal that will, for the first time in the history of the game, give fans live coverage of every game each round.

"It's a big win for the fans and a big win for the clubs, and News is delighted to be a part of it."

Andrew Penn, Telstra Chief Executive Officer, said the new agreement reaffirms Telstra's leadership in giving Australians access to world class mobile sporting experiences.

"Only Telstra can bring the sport experience and technology together using Australia's largest mobile network and we are very excited to give fans digital access to NRL action," Mr Penn said.

FOX SPORTS CEO, Patrick Delany, said: "This is the best deal for the game, for the fans and for Foxtel subscribers.

"This breakthrough deal will ensure fans get to see their NRL team live in action every week up to the Grand Final on FOX SPORTS without ad-breaks during play and in high definition.

"In another huge win for the sport, FOX SPORTS will launch a dedicated 24/7 Rugby League channel in 2017, giving fans what they have been asking for.

"This new deal would not have been possible without the support of Channel Nine and the ARLC. And together, with our digital partner Telstra, we will deliver the most dynamic NRL coverage to fans than ever before," Mr Delany said.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Friday 6pm is the dumbest fucking thing ever
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Agreed. Horrendous. As are Thursday games. Ugh!