AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: AFL Season 2014

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Kudos to the AFL for booking The Killers, btw. They were awesome. Forgotten Years cover - :up: Post match set - :up: :up:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Raven wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote: The Eagles have lost a shitload of experience so far:

OUT: Priddis, Mitchell, Butler, Giles, Petrie (r), Tunbridge (r), Brophy (r)

Free agents LeCras and Mackenzie signed one-year extensions.

Biggest question marks I guess are over Josh Hill, Sharrod Wellingham and Chris Masten heading into trade week. And it seems we're into Fasolo from Collingwood and Ah Chee from Port, but unsure how legit those whispers are. Can't see how either will contribute to the gaping hole in our midfield either. I don't really want to see another year where Simpson all but concedes the space between the 50m arcs and has a gameplan based on counterattacking after intercept marks in defence (Gov, Yeo, Barrass, Hurn).
What are your thoughts on potentially losing Gaff?
Well the Eagles have released a statement to say he's not up for trade:

Eagles shut down Gaff trade talk

He was Club Champion in 2015 but he hasn't seemed the same since he was knocked out with an elbow to the head by that thug Jonas from Port last year. He's also an outside mid in a team that gets smashed in the clearances each and every week. No idea what he would be worth as a trade.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

If it wasn't for Port, would anything even be happening this Trade Week?

Anyway, Brandon Ah Chee and Port's future 4th rounder to the Eagles, for our future 3rd rounder.

On paper Ah Chee fills a need but he hasn't done much for Port. Or cost us much. So who knows?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

2 weeks is too long, trade week should be 5 days.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Arch is solid but just struggled with the transition to AFL from SANFL. His first instinct is to handball all the time and defer which I think is mainly the issue and he has been behind Wines, SPP and Boak for a spot in the team, with Rockliff coming in he was looking less likely to get any game time this year. If he can make the adjustment and not be so passive in a new environment then he will be a solid player, maybe not always in the first 22 but someone you can depend on when they are in the team has a great leap one of the deadliest and best handballs I've seen and a good size body.

We dominated this trade period though got in Rockliff, Watts and Motlop and were able to trade out all our spuds and get Young and Ah Chee a fresh start where they wanted to go. I reckon we must have a couple of DFA's on the go to as we have traded and lost through retirement a lot of players.

Also agree, a 2 week trade period is useless in the AFL because the team's don't do anything until they are forced to on the last 2 days anyway.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

We've lost two Brownlow medallists and have five picks in the top 40 (13, 21, 26, 32, 37), plus Ah Chee.

The last time that happened was 2007. Although back then we then traded 30 and 35 for 22 so we ended up with 4 picks in the top 22. Three of them are still playing, although Scott Selwood and Brad Ebert are now with the clubs they were always destined to play for :arsekick: Hopefully we get at least three 10+ year players with this haul too (but who want to stay).

The rebuild is on :(
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Total posts 427802 | Total topics 10235 | Total members 362 | Our newest member RFCPREMIERS2017
Ambrose Burnside

Lurking since 1980!
Ambrose Burnside

WEST Coast has shed more experience by delisting former star defender Sharrod Wellingham and goalsneak Josh Hill ahead of next month's crucial NAB AFL Draft.

Tom Lamb, who played one game in 2015, and rookies Tom Gorter and Jordan Snadden have also been cut.

West Coast has now made 12 list changes as the club embarks on an aggressive turnover of what was the AFL's oldest playing group this year.
Source

:shock: 12 changes ... When the Eagles usually make the bare minimum. Not too upset, a bit of a statement to the under-performers that somehow still have contracts (for some reason Masten has another two years to go???). Hoping this means there's been a bit of a culture shift at a club that has been too soft for too long.

Bring back the ruthless streak saw us sack our first coach after one year and an 11-11 win-loss record. The same club who dropped the greatest Eagle to have ever pull on the jumper for a cut throat final even though he was captain.
Ambrose Burnside

So ... what the fuck are Port doing?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Getting better? Look at who we've turfed then compare with who we have brought in, been the greatest trade period in history in terms of turning over nearly all of the deadwood on your list and improving with everything you brought back in. Jack Trengove was always on the cards, the Adelaide corporation was never gonna touch him and can't afford to add much anyway so I thought it was a given we'd take him although I thought we'd rookie list him. Got a SA guy, worked his way back to AFL footy and still young and you know his upside, u take that punt. Our main plan could just be to relocate all of Melbourne's list though over a 3 year period lol
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Three U18 All-Australians including the Larke Medallist and the best clearance player in the championships (Brander, Allen and Ainsworth), the WAFL's leading goalkicker (Ryan) and the fastest player in the draft (Petruccelle). Plus a Brayshaw. On reflection, pretty happy with that!

I'm still a bit surprised we went tall with out first two picks, but I'm finding hard to argue against the picks considering who was already gone. And you can't say we haven't addressed needs too with Ainsworth and Petruccelle providing the ability to win clearances and line-breaking speed respectively. And we nabbed a genuine small forward too!

Ryan and Rioli at the feet (or on the head) of Kennedy is going to be so fun to watch. Can't wait! In the two years since coming to Perth from Geraldton, Ryan has played 4 reserves games for 11 goals, and 39 league games for 113 goals and was the WAFL's leading goalkicker this year. And he had something like four out of the five mark of the year contenders this year (following on from two last year!) :lol: :up:
Ambrose Burnside

Peppermint Lounge
The End

AFL Season 2014

Onya, Cuz. :thumbsup:
Ambrose Burnside

Flanked by Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan, two players I cannot wait to see :up:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

2 more days boys and the big league starts! Got my tix for the big Tigers vs Blues season opener! Cannot wait to see the start of another huge year of AFL. Hopefully the blues do a little better this year, but i'm not expecting much. Just got to get more game time into the kids and we will be fine.
I've tipped the Tigers to beat us by around 6 goals. In fact, i've tipped all home teams for round 1. Bring it on I say! Greatest sport in the world begins in just over 48 hours!!! Go the mighty BLUES!!! :D
Ambrose Burnside

Despite the new stadium the Eagles still have a ridiculous waiting list for membership, but I'm inching closer, I was offered (and have accepted) two 5 game memberships (as full season memberships have already sold out) and I'll have the chance to upgrade to full memberships at the end of the year if I'm at the head of the queue. Excited and frustrated :|

I've been to the new stadium once (the Big Bash semi the Scorchers choked in) and it is phenomenal :up:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

You’d have better access to Eagles games if you moved to Melbourne and bought a membership here. :D
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Hanging to see our Ablett/Selwood/Danger combo. Rekon our backline wilk be our biggest issue tgis year. Liked the look of our new blokes during the pre-season, especially the mature aged player Kelly we scored from W.A. Looks ready for senior selection this week
Ambrose Burnside

Peppermint Lounge wrote:You’d have better access to Eagles games if you moved to Melbourne and bought a membership here. :D
Correct :(

I have no idea how the Eagles will go this year

Positives

Nic Nat is back. Instantly makes our midfield more competitive

Forward line looks more dynamic with the likes of Ryan and Rioli

With older, slower mids retiring we'll hopefully see less 4th quarter fadeouts where the opposition get a run on and you can't even see Priddis or Mitchell chasing cos they've fallen so far behind, leaving it up to the likes of Gaff and Shuey to do all of the two way running, exhausting them. Cascade effect.

Negatives

We suck at contested football and those old slow retired mids were our best contested ball winners. Our gameplan has been to basically concede the ground between the 50m arcs and launch attacks from half back via interceptions by the likes of McGovern and Yeo to get the ball to Kennedy. We earn a pathetic number of inside 50s but are incredibly efficient once we do get in there because Kennedy. Can the likes of Redden, Sheed and Ah Chee lift in the guts?

We have an over-reliance on Kennedy and he will miss the first month (I'm being pessimistic because our medical team is shit).

Injuries in general. Nic Nat is back about 18 months after doing his knee but has played one WAFL practice match all preseason. Vardy hurt is groin in the preseason, Ah Chee was injured in the preseason, Rioli rolled an ankle. Mackenzie is out until the bye.

Unknowns

At least three will debut in round one: Ryan, Venables and Waterman. Six gamer Cole will also play. Rioli would have too if he hadn't rolled his ankle in the last presason game. I expect we will see quite a few debutants this year and that is the big unknown. On paper they make the team more dynamic and unpredictable, but they're kids. We've gone from the oldest team to one of the youngest and while we do have A grade talent (Kennedy, McGovern, a fit Nic Nat) and guys pushing to that level (Yeo, Shuey) I'm worried it will drop after that because we simply don't know how they will perform now that they're the main men. Guys like Darling, Redden, Sheed, Jetta (fuck me he is frustrating. Match winner one game, missing the next four). And who knows how the kids will go now that they will finally get their chance.

And who knows what effect playing at the new stadium, which is much closer to the MCG dimensions than Subi's, will have on the team.
guttermouth wrote:Hanging to see our Ablett/Selwood/Danger combo. Rekon our backline wilk be our biggest issue tgis year. Liked the look of our new blokes during the pre-season, especially the mature aged player Kelly we scored from W.A. Looks ready for senior selection this week
Lots of peeps say the Eagles had Kelly pencilled in with either picks 21 or 26. When pick 21 came up and Oscar Allen was still available (Larke Medallist as best player in U18 champs) we pounced despite holes in the midfield. Nek minnut Geelong grabs Kelly with 24 and the story is the Eagles then panicked and grabbed Ryan with 26 when the plan was to grab him later because we didn't want to lose both mature-aged WAFL players we'd earmarked.

I'm not sure how accurate that is though. I think Ryan is a great pick with 26 when you look at his record. But I think Kelly is a great pick.

I will still be watching Allen and Kelly with interest. Similar to how the Eagles picked Venables ahead of Powell-Pepper and Venables has yet to debut (though he should this week).
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Dons were cooked at three quarter time, so we all thought. Great win. :up:
Ambrose Burnside

We lost and often looked lost going forward with Kennedy out of the side, but there were still quite a few positives I thought.

Nic Nat is still our most important player.
Ambrose Burnside

That was bloody exciting! :D

No Kennedy and we kicked the highest score of the round (with one game to go).

In their second career game, Ryan kicked 3.3 (plus took a big pack mark), Venables 3.1 and Waterman 2.0.

Willie Rioli emerged unscathed after his first game. Needs to build a tank.

Nic Nat is building and took a big mark on Darling's head. Speaking of Darling, he kicked 4.0.

Younger, faster team so we didn't suffer the "4 goal lead then stop" BS that marred 2017 when the oldies would tire and the two-way running was left to too few.

Once the new-look midfield gels with Nic Nat's ruck domination ... We will hopefully surprise a few this year :D
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Bloody Hell another heart stopper on Easter Monday....
Ambrose Burnside

So the "greatest midfield of all time" kinda sucks :lol: