AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

I think the Ashes have sent you mad.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

westical wrote:I think the Ashes have sent you barmy.
Fixed :P
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Channel Ten will telecast the 2007 AFL Grand Final after defeating the Seven Network in a coin toss for the right to screen what is Australia's most popular annual TV sports event.

Ten and Seven agreed to two grand finals each as part of their successful bid for the AFL's TV rights for five years from 2007, but the first grand final of the new agreement was always going to be decided by the coin toss.

More than 4.10 million people watched the 2006 AFL Grand Final.

Seven gets a fairly decent consolation prize, including next year's Brownlow Medal count, the NAB Cup grand final and the first choice finals in the weeks leading up to the Grand Final.

Next year's Grand Final will the sixth consecutive premiership decider to be broadcast by Ten, which first began AFL broadcasting in 2002, in partnership with Nine Network and Foxtel.

Ten's coin toss victory came amid confirmation that all eight AFL games each week in 2007 will be telecast on free-to-air TV. Negotiations between Ten and Seven to sell up to four games each week to Foxtel broke down once and for all earlier this week.

Seven and Ten will each televise four games each weekend. Seven will show one game on a Friday night, two on a Saturday and one on a Sunday afternoon, while Ten will have two Saturday games and two Sunday games – the 1pm game and the new twilight fixture.

The networks will reportedly negotiate with the AFL shortly to stagger the starting times throughout the weekend in order to reduce the amount of concurrent matches on each station, while Seven is still keen to off-load Friday night matches to community broadcaster Channel 31 in Sydney and Brisbane to ensure that they are shown live into the key developing markets, as stipulated in the broadcast agreement with the AFL.

Televised football returns on Friday February 23 with the first round of the 2007 NAB Cup.

Dennis Cometti returns to the Seven fold after five years at Nine to call Friday Night Football on Seven alongside Bruce McAvaney, while triple Brisbane Lions premiership skipper Michael Voss will be a new addition to the Ten broadcasting team in 2007.
I've highlighted the most important parts. Thank God we don't lose Dennis to whatever crappy "sports" Nine has next winter :up:

Source

Because Seven will host the Grand Final in 2008, Dennis will commentate the Eagles third premiership in a row. Awesome :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

RICHMOND AFL footballer Andrew Krakouer has been charged with assault after an incident in Western Australia.

The 23-year-old was charged on Sunday by police with assault causing grievous bodily harm, over an incident in Fremantle - Perth's port suburb - on Friday night.

Justin Martin, 24, sustained head injuries in the incident and was in Perth's Charles Gairdner Hospital hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Krakouer was believed to be in Perth to celebrate Christmas with family members. Police said they were also making inquiries in regard to a second man, not an AFL footballer, who is alleged to have been involved in the attack.

The Tigers said in a statement that Krakouer had been co-operating fully with police and would defend himself against the charge. He is due to face court in Fremantle on Thursday.
I blame the Eagles. Although I do appreciate the ever so subtle dig at Freo :up:

Source
Ambrose Burnside

Daniel Kerr and his dad Roger have been charged with assault. At a party at Kerr's younger brother's house, Kerr's younger sister accused some teenager of touching her inappropriately so Kerr and his dad broke the little punk's nose and chipped his tooth :lol: :up:

Big season coming up for the Eagles if last season's off-field dramas + premiership combo is anything to go by :up:
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

what is going on with AFL players?, assaults and alcohol.....I'm sure the AFL are loving all of this publicity about its players, great publicity. Surely something has got to be done.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Ambrose Burnside

The AFL's most improved player and the sole reason why the Eagles are the reigning premiers has taken the next logical step towards world domination and has become a food critic:

Mussel Bar (Fremantle)

Quinten Lynch wrote:If there is one thing I am good at in this life, it’s definitely eating. I love eating fresh, well prepared produce with good wine and great company; Mussel Bar in Fremantle didn’t disappoint.

After relaxing with a glass of red, chosen from the comprehensive wine list, we soaked in some of the million dollar view that the Mussel Bar has to offer. The old rusty boats on the harbour and calm ocean waters add for great character. I was impressed with the impeccable service of the staff, being super friendly and incredibly efficient, even though I was in Dockers territory.

To start we tested the tasting plate which had something to please every palate. It was a nice warmup for what was to come. I was pleasantly surprised to see a great balance of choice on the menu of seafood and non seafood options. There was an interesting array of mussels ranging from Thai green curry to Dijon and horseradish cream. It was a tough decision in what to get for main but I was glad with my choice of the whole baby snapper. Although there was a battle with the bones, the fish was cooked perfectly and it was served on fresh crunchy greens, satisfying the taste buds. My girlfriend ordered the lamb with cous cous. She loved the meal and even had to fight me off; it was delicious. The presentation of all the meals was pretty special and the aromas would make any man lick his lips. I couldn’t say a bad word about this place; even the bread was great, served warm and crunchy.
Quinten Lynch wrote:The stomach lining was stretched but I couldn’t resist dessert. The hot choc brownie was deliciously sinful, I might have to do a few extra laps at training but it was most definitely worth it.

Lads if you need to impress the ladies, this place is for you. It’s romantic without even trying. The soft candle light and live music was a great touch, my Mrs was quite impressed.

Not the cheapest of places but most certainly not overpriced, it was fresh produce and big meals. I am a fan and will definitely be back.

Quinten Lynch
Mille Cafe (Inglewood)
Quinten Lynch wrote:On Thursday night we decided to head north to the Mille Café for dinner with some friends.

When walking into this place it gives a great vibe. The staff are extremely friendly and the smell of the food made my tummy rumble.

Word of advice when eating at Mille, go easy on the entrées as the mains are huge! We thought it would be a good idea to order some entrées to share so we ordered the three dips plate, cracked sea salt and lemon pepper calamari AND grilled cacciatore sausage. All extremely nice, but we may of over ordered just a little!

Our mains came within minutes after the entrée plates were cleared. I had an old time favourite of mine the Parmesan Crumbed Chicken Parmigiana with creamy mashed potato. It was awesome; the actual chicken took up my whole plate. My girlfriend ordered the Cacciuco which was a seafood stew. It was on the entrée menu but don’t let that fool you into meaning small, even she couldn’t get through it.
Quinten Lynch wrote:We brought our own wine but there was no need. The list had a great variety from Western Australia, the Barossa and New Zealand.

I hate to decline dessert especially when they looked so tempting but there was no room in my belly.

Just to wrap it up: If you are on a diet and into portion control you may want to consider else where but the Mille Café is my kinda place. The service was excellent; our waitress was very helpful and never missed a beat making sure our glasses were filled, bottles replaced and food delivered at the appropriate times. The dining atmosphere was relaxed and casual. I don’t have kids but it is very much a family friendly restaurant, according to the little tackers behind us.

The food was priced exceptionally well, definitely value for money without a doubt. I will be back, even though the owner is a Collingwood supporter!
Quinten Lynch wrote:Happy eating,
Quinten Lynch
Michael Braun (who also missed the 2005 Grand Final before helping the team to success in 2006. Coincidence? I think not!) has joined The Big Unit in his mission:
Michael Braun wrote:One of my favourite past-times is to eat out. When I found out that Quinten Lynch and his girlfriend Daneka had been approached by eatingwa.com.au to review restaurants, I knew that I had to put my name out there to be included in this great concept.

Michael Braun visits Sorrento and Michael Braun visits Cafe Ventura

:dblthumbs:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Looks like the rules committee has just put the game in the coffin, I have no doubt next year they'll add the nails, what disgraceful decisions they make. What other sport changes the rules every season for no reason at all? NONE.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Froggy wrote:Looks like the rules committee has just put the game in the coffin, I have no doubt next year they'll add the nails, what disgraceful decisions they make. What other sport changes the rules every season for no reason at all? NONE.
I watched the 1992 Grand Final earlier today. It's amazing how much the game has changed, so many calls of play-on would have resulted in suspensions, 50m penalties and free kicks today. Gary Ablett's off-the-ball, elbow-to-the-head K-O of Don Pyke leaps immediately to mind, but there was a lot of much less obvious stuff as well.

The game always felt like it was on the verge of exploding into an all-out brawl.

With the game so sanitised these days, I wonder how dominant a player like Peter Matera would be today? :run:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

It's just a disgrace that effectively we have about 5 or 6 people making decisions about the game and new rules to what they think will make it better. They are essentially changing the rules for no reason just because they can, there should be a 5 year ban on new rules and any stupid ones that have been made revoked ie the no hands in the back one, if you play footy you know that this is just stupid, it's a part of standing your ground and is not an illegal action. The whole decision that the bump on Kosichski would now be a report and probably a 3 week suspension is just ludicris, I mean where does it stop!? Now they are patrolling accidental contact, it's a 100% contact sport from all directions of course there is going to be accidental contact ffs. I am so dissillutioned right now.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
hosko

Post by hosko »

Can't wait for round one to come along. Being at the G on grand final day was such sweet revenge. Especially considering I was there the previous year as well.

Round one I'll be at Telstra Stadium to watch Judd and Cous dominate, and witness the big unit giving the swans another bath. Somebody stop him for god sakes. Hopefully Hall will choke agian like he did in the GF.

Anyway can't wait till I get home afterwards to relive the match in HD glory, god I love you channel 10. Ok maybe not the ten commentary team. Your effort at the GF was some of the most biased comments I have ever seen. Wallsey has no idea.
Ambrose Burnside

Nobody can stop Lynch. The only full back who has a slight chance is his All-Australian team mate Darren Glass :lol: :up:
*LiNNYroX*

Post by *LiNNYroX* »

Go Lynchy, you awesome big unit.

WEST COAST EAGLES - Back to back 2007 Premiers. You saw it first here on Games Ranch.
www.iplcricketnews.com - #1 Site for all things IPL!
Ambrose Burnside

*LiNNYroX* wrote:Go Lynchy, you awesome big unit.

WEST COAST EAGLES - Back to back 2007 Premiers. You saw it first here on Games Ranch.
Damn straight :up:
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

You better watch out. St.Kilda has a coach now.
Ambrose Burnside

Scullibundo wrote:You better watch out. St.Kilda has a coach now.
But no players :oops:
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
XBL ID: Juzbuffa1

Post by Juzbuffa »

More off field trouble for the Weagles, just saw this on AFL.com:
West Coast Eagles midfielder Daniel Kerr has been arrested and charged hours before the club's NAB Cup opener against Fremantle.

West Australian police have released a statement saying the 23-year old from Kardinya was involved in an incident in the car park of Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital around 11.30pm on Saturday night.

The statement said it would be alleged Kerr inflicted damage to a taxi outside the hospital, then allegedly argued with the taxi driver before leaving. Police later arrested him in nearby Nedlands.

He has been charged with disorderly behaviour in public, and will appear in the Perth Magistrates court on March 1.

Kerr has developed into one of the finest players in the AFL in recent seasons.

The midfielder finished second in the Brownlow Medal count in 2005 and third last year despite being ineligible for the award due to suspension.

He was one of West Coast's best players in last year's premiership victory over Sydney.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen through your eyes...

edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Another AFL player in trouble again??...geez what a suprise.

Kerr again eh....so when's the trading season commence??
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Watched Ess v Car last night. Some promising running play from the Bombers has me a bit enthused about the upcoming season now.
Ambrose Burnside

More trouble with the law? Eagles 2007 Premiers confirmed! :up:
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

I thought rugby league players were meant to be the thugs?

Glad to see the AFL is proving otherwise.
Ambrose Burnside

The all-conquering West Coast will ask the AFL for an extra salary-cap allowance in recognition of the continuing Perth property boom.

The Eagles already have inquired about their chances of having the city's rising cost of living reflected in their total player payment fund, as it has been in Sydney for many years.

Property prices in Perth have almost doubled since 2003, with the cost of buying or renting second only to Sydney, where the Swans last year were able to pay their players an AFL-funded $460,000 (or 7 per cent) over the salary cap.

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett said the Eagles, who have asked AFL investigator Ken Wood "tongue in cheek" for more money, said there was now a "big imbalance" between what the grand finalists were able to pay their players.

"We asked for a compensation package for our players and I don't think we got a great response, but the cost of living in Perth is equivalent to that of Sydney these days. What's good for one city has got to be good for the other," Nisbett said. "Sydney have had it for the right reasons. The cost of living up there has been horrific, but when other cities have caught up, such as we have at this stage, it's a bit of a concern and something we think should be considered.

"We've raised it briefly with Ken Wood, but we haven't put anything official in yet. It's probably too late to get something done for this year, but that won't stop us putting a submission in."

Nisbett said the club found it difficult to find appropriately priced rental properties for recruits and that with prices tipped to increase by another 20 per cent in the next year, the problem would not go away.

"I don't know how much sympathy we'd get from the Melbourne-based clubs, and others. There hasn't been much sympathy for Sydney's position over the past last few years, but it's a real issue."

An AFL spokesman said the Perth clubs' plight had not been discussed, while Nisbett's Fremantle counterpart, Cameron Schwab, said the Dockers had not considered forming a similar proposal.
I can't wait to hear the response of the AFL and Sydney. Hopefully they'll admit publicly that "living expenses" has nothing to do with Sydney's salary cap being $460,000 more than any other team. :wanker:

Source
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Watched Ess v Car last night. Some promising running play from the Bombers has me a bit enthused about the upcoming season now.
:lol:

I didn't see it but read the report. I'm the complete opposite. WOW we beat the bomber .... just. Considering how hopeless both teams were last year I can take nothing good away from that result.

:(
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

General Chaos wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote:Watched Ess v Car last night. Some promising running play from the Bombers has me a bit enthused about the upcoming season now.

I didn't see it but read the report. I'm the complete opposite. WOW we beat the bomber .... just. Considering how hopeless both teams were last year I can take nothing good away from that result.

Haha, the Bombers played absolutely woefully in the first half and still left a lot to be desired overall apart from some nice passages as Pep said. I was happy to come out of it with only a 4 point loss, the amount of turnovers we made was amazing. Forward line was obviously rusty and not used to playing with each other, defense looked good (apart from the free kicks they gave up), midfield still needs some work but there's definitely some pace there.

I just hope Monfries can keep pulling off performances like that one, he's a damn star. Davey was very good also.
Ambrose Burnside

TonyT wrote:
General Chaos wrote:

Haha, the Bombers played absolutely woefully in the first half and still left a lot to be desired overall apart from some nice passages as Pep said. I was happy to come out of it with only a 4 point loss, the amount of turnovers we made was amazing. Forward line was obviously rusty and not used to playing with each other, defense looked good (apart from the free kicks they gave up), midfield still needs some work but there's definitely some pace there.

I just hope Monfries can keep pulling off performances like that one, he's a damn star. Davey was very good also.
Essendon's defence was fine, it was the dodgy new rules that suck :down: