AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: AFL Season 2018

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Umpiring was bad, bending over for a 40 point turnaround was worse. It's becoming a Carlton speciality. As is the Eagles conceding a 3-4 goal lead and coming back strongly. We've now done it three weeks in a row, I felt that burst in the third was always coming. We flogged Collingwood by something like 11 goals, but even in that game they led by about 4 goals at one stage

And I can pull up incidents where it went the other way too. The SPS one stands out as the worst, but Yeo was pinged HTB in very similar circumstances in the first. I'll give you the Flyin' Ryan one too, I was at the game and I do remember thinking "fuck me he's lucky". I blame Alistair Clarkson and the AFL willingness to bend over for him every time he whinges to deflect.

Nic Nat giving Shuey, Kelly and Yeo silver service was the difference.

Also, Sheed >>>>> Cripps :)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

As a Port supporter, I'm enjoying the SANFL reserves level Crows almost as much as us being top. Unless you're from WA no one in Victoria can understand the utter hell you're going through if you're that shit, your cross town rivals are top and your club administration piled into them when they were shit but now you're 10x worse than they ever got to. All managed with one of the biggest budgets and state of the art facilities going around lol.

I'm not sold on Hinkley at all and we are likely to implode in the finals but I'm starting to trust the team again which I haven't for years.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

The whole point of complaining about the umpiring on the weekend was that the free kicks given resulted directly in so many goals. It was, quite frankly pathetic. YES, the turnaround is becoming a big worry at my club but the free kick NOT paid to De Koning against Nic Nat in the 3rd quarter 10 meters out from our goal which, you would assume would've turned into a goal, would've put us 25 points up. Now, you take away the 2 pathetic free kicks against SPS and things MIGHT have turned out differently. Unfortunately there were so many missed free kicks for us that I have no idea about the score in the end.

Funny now how the media is turning on us for not playing our kids when on the weekend we had 8 guys playing that were 22 years of age or younger! The media is saying that we had the 4th oldest playing list this week, which is fair enough BUT, if Simpson wasn't playing and a young guy took over from him we go from the 4th oldest PLAYING list to the 2nd youngest playing list! Does anyone but me see how poor the average age is in comparing teams? You remove 1 guy from the team and our list age drastically changes... It could happen with any club. Plus, the article yesterday from the "great" John Ralph questioning us not playing youth failed to mention that Ben Silvagni (a backman) couldn't get in the team now as we can't really repplace him with anyone. Fisher hadn't come in before last week due to injury. Same with Jack Silvagni (injured), Paddy Dow (injured) and Marchbank (injured). Surely these reporters know how to research before they write this click bait crap?!?
Ambrose Burnside

Heh, at least the reporters and commentators actually know the player's names.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Ambrose Burnside

Well I hope that dodgy af umpiring decision makes it up for you Vince holy shit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freo fans in absolute meltdown tonight :lol: :lol: :lol:
Froggy wrote: Unless you're from WA no one in Victoria can understand the utter hell you're going through
This week is going to be GLORIOUS :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Well I hope that dodgy af umpiring decision makes it up for you Vince holy shit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freo fans in absolute meltdown tonight :lol: :lol: :lol:
Froggy wrote: Unless you're from WA no one in Victoria can understand the utter hell you're going through
This week is going to be GLORIOUS :lol: :lol: :lol:
Probably owed a few after the 1st quarter. 2 of 3 goals from completely wrong decisions. Still, I think we deserved the win. After quarter time we outplayed them. Just couldn’t fucking score... until Newnes kicks it completely out of his arse!
Ambrose Burnside

7 in a row, building nicely :up:

I hope Sicily didn't do his knee in the last couple of minutes :cry:
Ambrose Burnside

Paying the price though. Yeo a late withdrawal with suspected OP. Could be out until the finals. That's massive :( Redden injured during the game and sat out the second half. In the scratch match Vardy ended up in hospital with compartment syndrome.

Heading into the compressed fixtures and our biggest weakness could be exposed: zero midfield depth (and an inability to play in slippery conditions :( ).
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Good god Essendon were terrible.
Ambrose Burnside

St Kilda couldn't beat the most injury-ravaged West Coast team I can ever recall (no Yeo, Shuey, Redden, Sheed, Hutchings aka the entire 2018 Premiership midfield, no Jetta, and McGovern went down in the second quarter. That was seriously one of the Eagles' best home and away wins) then they smash the shit out of GWS to end GWS's season and lock in their own finals spot for the first time since 2011.

Thoughts

GWS should never have extended Leon Cameron's contract. He's ... not that good. The quality on that list ffs.
The Victorian vultures will be swarming their Sydney-based development squad again. Aiden Corr is already out the door. GWS people keep talking about the great culture they're building as first rounders walk out the door every year and they drop their captain :?
Carlton should never have sacked Brett Ratten. Dude's a great coach.
Ambrose Burnside

Qualifying Final One
Port Adelaide v Geelong @ Adelaide Oval

Qualifying Final Two
Brisbane v Richmond @ GABBA

Elimination Final One
West Coast v Collingwood @ Optus Stadium

Elimination Final Two
St Kilda v Western Bulldogs @ GABBA

At least I get the opportunity to see the boys one last time in 2020, but if we win I can't see us progressing beyond Week 2.

We've actually never won a Semi Final after winning an Elimination Final.

Richmond to go back-to-back :(
Ambrose Burnside

Tickets go on sale today and I am going to be my least productive self from 9am WA time until I get tickets :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

Logged in at 9am, and there was already over 8500 people ahead of me in the queue. Damn. Later found out Ticketmaster changed things so that you could join the queue before 9am. I didn't realise that so expected the usual crush at 9am. Was panicking somewhat but managed to get seats in the nosebleeds.

I wasn't the only one caught out by the changed procedure. Well done Ticketmaster.

PUMPED!!!
Ambrose Burnside

You on board the Hinkley Express yet Froggy? :nana:
Ambrose Burnside

Suck shit Richmond.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Suck shit West Coast.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:You on board the Hinkley Express yet Froggy? :nana:
:D I am now going with the line that I still want to sack him if he doesn't win but yeah I'm all aboard TOOT TOOT!!

Got a tough run from here, either Richmond or St Kilda then most likely Brisbane in Brisbane.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Candy Arse wrote:Suck shit West Coast.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Raven

Post by Raven »

Saints were beaten by a better side last night. But it doesn't matter, because they've exceeded all expectations this year. Making finals and winning one seemed extremely unlikely this time last year, so I'll take it.

We've got a young, talented list and I can't wait to see everyone improve in 2021. The future looks bright!
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Doesn't get any better than slaughtering the Pies in the finals. If only we had kept them to 1 goal.
Ambrose Burnside

That was seriously impressive by Geelong. Collingwood blew their load last week :(

Should be a cracking couple of prelims.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Got my prelim tickets, $187 seems rich given the game is 3/4 length. It does feel short at the ground too, it's all in all weird this year.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Froggy wrote:Got my prelim tickets, $187 seems rich given the game is 3/4 length. It does feel short at the ground too, it's all in all weird this year.
Awesome :up:

I hope Port smash Richmond into next year.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Geelong so good again. Hopefully they can beat the Tigers next, awesome way to send Ablett off. Would prefer to be playing Port than Richmond.

Will be the first Geelong GF I haven't attend since 89'.
Ambrose Burnside

I must say Geelong have been the team to impress me the most this year. They had to hub in Perth, they improved despite losing Tim Kelly (while the Eagles went backwards despite gaining Kelly :run: ), and they didn't get a golden run like Brisbane (or even Richmond. Despite everything those pricks still got longer breaks between games than anyone else).

On the Geelong bandwagon. Just wish Geelong could win it but Dangerflog somehow misses out.