AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: AFL Season 2014

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Huge. What club wouldn't welcome Sam Mitchell. Congrats, WCE.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Has anyone checked on Darwi to make sure he's OK?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Ambrose Burnside

Essentially for pick 88 too. Jesus :up:

Now there's rumours that we're into Todd Goldstein (!!!) and Marcus Adams from the Doggies :shock:

I don't think we'll make a play for Goldstein, but Adams would be very handy. Put him in the backline, throw Gov forward, release Darling as third tall :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Ambrose Burnside

And now Lewis is a Demon.

Hawthorn's top 2 players from this year both gone.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

WTF Geelong.......Caddy to Richmond for pick 24 and 64?????
Ambrose Burnside

Nathan Vardy from Geelong for Pick 72.

So it looks like we end Trade Week with picks 12, 34 and 54 (Jake Waterman f/s) plus Vardy and Mitchell. Solid effort. Plugged some holes in the list without spending anything, and still have picks in the first couple of rounds of the draft :up:

Jake Waterman U18 highlights:
He was BOG in a Colts Premiership this year, and made his League debut kicking 5 goals for Claremont against eventual Premiers Peel too ... Before being hidden away in the Colts again :wink:

Jake Waterman stars in WAFL league debut
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Have a cry crows.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I suspect Bryce is crying with them.
Ambrose Burnside

Carlton should have jumped on the offer of first round pick + sweetener.

He'll only decrease in value from here on in (and he's not even that good to begin with) and nek minnit Adelaide will get him for pick 88 Sam Mitchell style.

I'm staggered at how many bargains were had this trade period to be honest. Like this one:
Lyons and the Crows’ No. 71 draft pick have been handed to the Suns in return for Gold Coast’s calls at Nos. 43 and 67 in next month’s AFL national draft in Sydney.
20 games this year, over 21 possessions per game, 15 goals. 24 years old so will get better. I would have taken him plus Adelaide's first rounder in a heartbeat for Gibbs.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

This Jobe Brownlow affair is a pretty gut wrenching story. So many arsehole players running around and we have one of if not the AFL's most controversial act imposed upon one of its least controversial players. I suspect he will be counselled through his current anxiety. He's fit to play and it seems impossible he'd not put some good football between this and the eventual end of his playing career.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:This Jobe Brownlow affair is a pretty gut wrenching story. So many arsehole players running around and we have one of if not the AFL's most controversial act imposed upon one of its least controversial players. I suspect he will be counselled through his current anxiety. He's fit to play and it seems impossible he'd not put some good football between this and the eventual end of his playing career.
Honestly, I feel so conflicted over this whole saga. For 1 I feel like the players shouldn't been so easily accepting of an extremely suspect injection program. Then again, they were following orders and were told it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately it's stopped many quality players in the peak of their careers and even ended some on a sour note (Fletcher springs to mind)...
The Jobe situation is all together sad. The guy just wouldn't knowingly cheat. Yet he's been found guilty of taking illegal substances in the year he won the most prestigious player award our game delivers. He had no choice but to give back the Brownlow. The guy has been through a fair bit of hell all because a club took it upon themselves to try get an unfair advantage over the competition. You really hope he has a stellar 2017 but I just don't know what the effects of this will have on him on field. I certainly wish him the best of luck.

Speaking of off field issues, a potential super star in Chris Yarran walks away from the game. At his best he was so electrifying to watch. His run off the half back line was stunning to see and always lifted the crowd. Another squandered talent...
Ambrose Burnside

On the plus side though, the Eagles now have two Brownlow Medallists in their midfield :up:

Draft Haul:

13. Daniel Venables
Possessing pace, agility, power and toughness, Venables has an exciting combination of skills for a midfielder. He also has the height and shape to be used at half-forward or half-back, and has shown his natural ability around goal. Injuries in 2016 have limited his exposure, but he has the raw ability to match it with the best his age. He continues to gain game awareness.
37. Josh Rotham
Rotham excites with his speed and athleticism out of defence. When playing with confidence the West Australian enjoys grabbing the ball, seeing some space and going for a run out of the back half. He can jump for his marks, too, and uses the ball well by foot. At 192cm, Rotham is tall enough to play as a second or third tall defender, but in time some clubs see the confident 18-year-old moving up the ground to a wing role.
52. Willie Rioli
Losing an incredible 16kg in the 2015-16 off-season allowed the 21-year-old to have a brilliant season for Glenelg in the SANFL. Previously a dangerous small forward, Rioli's increased fitness allowed him to be a menace through the midfield and get closer to his full potential. Has wonderful AFL family pedigree as a cousin of Hawthorn superstar Cyril. Starred with four goals for South Australia in the state league game against Victoria.
77. Jake Waterman (F/S)
Waterman is the son of two-time premiership Eagle Chris, which gave West Coast first rights. Waterman captained Western Australia at the 2016 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, showing his growth in leadership and maturity. He's a hard working half-forward who reads the play well, and is generally a good shot at goal, although his conversion was wayward at times during the national carnival, where he booted 4.8. He kicked four goals in Claremont's WAFL Colts Grand Final triumph. He will play as a third tall at the next level, and he's the type to complement some bigger targets around him.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Loved how the Hawks picked up a kid called Mitchell Lewis in the draft. :lol:

Still not over the loss of Jordan and Sam... even though I understand fully why they (and the Club) have headed down that path.

Sux even more that we will never see Sam in Hawk's colours and his Brownlow. :(

Looking forward to next year. Knee deep in the rebuild. Have flights booked for Round 1 in Melbourne with the Poker boys... five games in four days...
Ambrose Burnside

Rookies were Thomas Gorter (tall defender), Fraser McInnes (after having been delisted from the main list) and &#(%$& DREW $*$#(#& PETRIE :finalpost:

Two 34 year olds in Mitchell and Petrie is an interesting strategy. On the plus side I'm no longer older than every Eagle :up:

On the plus side, we've drafted a couple of our next-gen academy players as Cat-B rookies: Tarir Bayok and Francis Watson. I didn't even realise the academy was up and running yet :lol:

Watson:

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video ... cis-watson

Bayok:
Bayok seems to take a lot of risks while Watson looks bloody exciting! 21 years old so ineligible for the U18 carnival, but played the season for Claremont (seniors) in the WAFL. Not bad for free :up:
Ambrose Burnside

Preseason training reports coming out suggest Mitchell is taking the younger mids like Liam Duggan under his wing:
This is fast becoming a post training ritual - Mitchell tutoring Duggan. This time it was marking, turning and passing to a leading forward off one step which explains Darling being there.

He really is taking the young fella under his wing

<3
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Well we are just over a month away and footy is officially back! Jump the tennis hurdle and all sports media will focus on AFL! So, what are your predictions for the year? I know it's real early but premiership (grand finalists maybe), Brownlow, wooden spoon etc...?

I think it'll be swans vs hawks in the gf with the swans winning. Brownlow I'm undecided as of yet. Wooden spoon I think will either be lions or blues.

I'm just really pumped for this year. I know the blues won't get close to finals but it's great seeing the young kids come through. Any and all the experience they can get is a bonus for the next phase of their development. I'm intrigued to see how the dons* travel this year. The Hawks interest he absolute shit out of me with their line up changes. And GWS could go all the way this year, and I'm really looking forward to see how they cope with the immense expectations. Plus seeing if the doggies can back up their premiership from 2016... it's really going to be a great year! Go Blues!!!
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Can't see the Hawks pushing too hard this year.

O'Meara and Roughead are coming from a long way back fitness wise.

Brand new midfield... based around Tom Mitchell and O'Meara... will take some time to come together. Just getting used to no Sam Mitchell and Lewis will take a bit.

And then there is the holding the ball rule. The AFL clearly changed their interpretation late in 2016... to where the ball carrier can literally drop (slash throw) the ball forward from the tackle. I have no doubt this was done to suit GWS... but it backfired somewhat as the Dogs were the side best positioned to exploit it. Geelong adapted well. Sydney ok-ish... but the Hawks were shite at it.

Mostly because we had adopted a midfield tactic of minimal pressure on the ball carrier... instead focusing on the ball recievers (slow up movement and force disposal errors for the turnover). We were forced into this because of the lack of leg speed (Mitchell, Lewis, etc)... but did ok... until the interpretation change. Once the ball carrier could simply drop the ball to the advantage of his team-mates we couldn't control how the ball was cleared and this put enormous pressure on our defenders.

Happy to back Clarkson to re-construct a midfield that can turn things to our advantage... but it will take a season or two.
Ambrose Burnside

I have no idea what to expect from the Eagles. 2016 was such a frustrating year after the incredible ride that was 2015. We beat GWS and Adelaide away to throw off the flat track bully label in the second half of the year, but we also lost to Collingwood :| We were by far the form team of the competition heading into the finals, then we lose at home to be knocked out in Week 1. Although that isn't as embarrassing now as it was when it first happened. Fucking Dogs. Fucking bye.

The club (coaches and players) have said all the right things since. I thought Simpson was going to murder someone during his awards night speech :up: Whether they can back up those words with action is another matter.

We lost no one of note during the off-season. Our list is actually pretty good in the sense that going through it, there's now no dead wood that I can say "that player will be gone at the end of the year". It's the first time in a long time I can say that. There will be retirements for sure, but no outright spuds clogging the list. Our ruck stocks are decimated though. Nic Nat will miss the whole year with an ACL, Lycett will miss the start of the year with a PCL.

Our fit ruckmen at the start of the year will be Giles, Petrie and Vardy. And I'm not sure if you can ever be confident calling Vardy "fit" :run:

Our midfield is always criticised but on paper it does look good. Especially if the recent acquisitions can play to their potential and fit into the gameplan: Mitchell, Jetta, Redden. Preseason training reports have been positive. Redden has been beating Shuey when they've lined up on each other.

No Nic Nat means the midfield will actually have to work hard. I am confident Mitchell won't let any of them slack off.

Eliot Yeo needs to stop being such a tease.

Of the rookies, I reckon Rioli will be the first to debut. We have no crumbing forward, so if he performs well for East Perth (and continues to shed the puppy fat), there's a spot for him in the Eagles lineup.
Ambrose Burnside

Roughy to captain the Hawks? :shock:

Unsure if he should be going from battling cancer and being out of the game for 12 months to captain but Hawthorn know best I guess.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-02-01/ ... ium-update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Perth stadium looking awesome. Didn't know they where this far along.

I guess the footy starts this week....The Girls. Last years game againt Doggies and Demons was a cracker. Reports the practise matches so far have been a crowded and low scoring, hopefully things improve.
Ambrose Burnside

A stunning stadium in a stunning location. Perth has never made good use of its river, which baffles me cos it shits all over the Yarra etc, but that's starting to change with Perth Stadium on the eastern end, Elizabeth Quay front and centre and Kings Park (the only original!) overlooking the western end. Beautiful. Changes to licensing laws have dragged Perth out of the 1950s as well, small bars popping up everywhere, and the Fringe World Festival is on at the moment too.

Artist's impression of the finished Quay. The inlet (which takes the river back to its original, pre-colonial shoreline), island, bridge, new ferry docks etc are all there, there are restaurants etc but the bigger apartment buildings/hotels etc (which are see-through in the render) are still under construction. There are plans for a cable car linking the Quay to King's Park. To the left of the Quay is a train station and convention centre, to the right (surrounded by gardens) is the Supreme Court. Elizabeth Quay (aka Betty's Jetty) copped a lot of flack for years (#Perth) but since it opened I haven't heard any complaints really. Just classic Perth really:

Kings Park is stunning, everyone that comes to Perth goes there, and I don't think it's possible to take a bad photo there. If you don't have wedding photos there, then you're not from Perth :lol:

And of course Perth Stadium, on the opposite side of the city to King's Park (and Subiaco Oval for that matter, may that shithole RIP), just on the other side of the river from the WACA:

Again, connecting the city to the Swan River. As the city should have been designed originally!
Seriously excited. The Quay and the Stadium have been on the drawing boards for DECADES. So pumped that's it's all FINALLY happening!
Ambrose Burnside

And I didn't mention the Northbridge Link project either which has the new Perth Arena (Perth Wildcats homeground, Hopman Cup venue, amazing concert venue etc) at one end, the sinking of the railway line and development of Yagan Square, new city busport etc on the reclaimed land, cultural centre at the other end (museum, art gallery etc. The new museum will be bold as fuck: http://museum.wa.gov.au/newmuseum) etc to connect the city and Northbridge, the traditional night time entertainment precinct of Perth. It's harder to find decent before and after shots of this but it's arguably the most important change in terms of uniting the city and making Northbridge far less of a cesspool of Ben Cousins clones at night:
All of this, The Quay, the Stadium, Northbridge Link, it's all happening now and the Perth I grew up in is becoming unrecognisable. Forrest Chase, the main shopping precinct in the city, where Myer, David Jones etc is, just approved a $100 million dollar redevelopment too, that's going to be stunning. The Premier calls all this change a 1 in 100 year event and he's not wrong.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Dons and Gatto........I thought this shit was over.....
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

guttermouth wrote:Dons and Gatto........I thought this shit was over.....
It's the story that keeps on giving......... but I just want it to be over with! They copped their whack. They've been down. Now give them a chance to play footy and let us all enjoy talking footy once again.
Ambrose Burnside

Friday morning I was at the intersection waiting to cross the road with the Melbourne Demons after their loss to the Eagles. I was wearing an Eagles polo shirt.

Wanted to take a trollerific selfie but Max Gawn is scary looking.