AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: AFL Season 2014

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Didn't hurt long. Can't fault EFC's direction this season and they have an easier draw ahead.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Western Australia lol.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Freo always so desperate to prove anything we can do they can do "better" :lol:

Oliver's a dick though.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

So, Oliver is a diving prick and Melbourne are dodgy as fuck for presenting a medical report full of fake news.

The rest of the footy-loving public should thank the Eagles for challenging that bullshit.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

The tribunal is so fucken joke, Where is the consistency? Two strikes to the head and two weak outcomes. Fucken character references now?? But lets pick out a random jumper punch to make a statement.
Ambrose Burnside

I can't believe they trotted out Waleed Aly.

And if Schofield had lost his case against the Diving Ranga, he and Houli would have copped the same 2 weeks suspension. Absolute madness.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Woffling Waleed Aly
Ambrose Burnside

Well, it was ridiculous and convoluted but sanity eventually prevailed.

Will Schofield walked free. Which means Clayton Oliver took a dive and Melbourne presented fake news in their medical report.
Bachar Houli had his sentence increased from a ridiculous 2 weeks (which would have been the same sentence as Schofield had he failed his appeal!) to 4 weeks. Which is still the minimum sentence for what he did, but at least it makes sense.

The final twist may be the best though. Schofield was dropped from the team to face to Doggies :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Dogs v Eagles should be good. Tipping Dogs will prevail because if they don't it's all over for the premiers.
Ambrose Burnside

Doggies by 100.

I barely recognise this Eagles line-up.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Was so comfortable we'd win I was merely checking in on scores. 20 plus points up 10 mins into last quarter. All good. Push alert telling me Brisbane won by 8. Gtfo.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

In your own backyard as well!

Go Lions!
Ambrose Burnside

Meanwhile those unrecognisable Eagles rolled the reigning premiers in Melbourne while missing half the team:

Naitanui
Kennedy
Priddis
LeCras
Hurn
Hill
Lycett

Both our first choice ruckmen, the Coleman Medallist from the last two seasons (and was leading the race this year until he got injured), a Brownlow Medallist, the club captain and a couple of other forwards who have kicked 17 and 16 goals this year. And Wellingham and Butler were injured during the third quarter so we were down two players in the last quarter when Vardy put on his best Dean Cox impersonation and won us the game. This is missing the two match-saving marks in defence afterwards, but the music makes up for it :lol: :
COME ON VARDY, LET'S GO PARTY!!!

But yes, it was the Bulldogs so that's looking less and less meritorious as the season rolls on :lol:

Simpson gets criticised for not playing the kids but a few embarrassing losses (hi Essendon!) has sparked a bit of a change with Karpany (3 goals vs the Doggies!) and Cole getting games, Sheed starting in the guts more often (and at Priddis's expense!), Duggan's taking the game on more (his second half in the win vs Geelong was particularly good but I don't think he will be an AFL-level midfielder unfortunately. Another half-back flanker to add to the collection).

Still unsure what Partington has to do in the WAFL to get a game, and Venables was all but certain to get a game before he got injured.

The Venables over Sam Pepper-Powell debate will go on for quite some time.

It's a ridiculously close season (had the Eagles kicked a goal or two more vs Gold Coast, GWS and Melbourne, we'd be on top of the ladder despite them injuries) but even so I can't see the Eagles coming close to pulling off what the Doggies did last year. Still, Lycett, LeCras, Hurn and Priddis are back tomorrow, Kennedy will be back next week, so who knows what will happen?

Oh wait, I do, it will be an Adelaide vs GWS Grand Final.
Ambrose Burnside

I hate this season.

Still, it's no 1993 in terms of ridiculous evenness. Top 6 in those days, Essendon finished on top with 13 wins, Geelong missed the finals on 12 wins and a percentage of over 111%, St Kilda finished bottom 4 on 10 wins :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I loved last night's game. Fuck that Brisbane loss though.

Ambrose my most hated/feared side in the 90s was the Eagles. McKenna, McIntosh, Lewis, Brennan, Worsfold, Matera, Kemp, Sumich and on and on. Knew them as well as my own team back then. So funny now then to see Worsfold and McKenna in EFC colours. I liked Guy McKenna back then. Ashley McIntosh too. Hated Worsfold but.
Ambrose Burnside

It was one hell of a team. Glad you mentioned McIntosh, doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Freakish athlete, he wasn't able to demonstrate that because of Malthouse's gameplan, but he was the fastest at the club back in the day (state hurdling champion over 200m and 400m), strong as an ox (pretty sure held the club bench press record until Fraser Gehrig came along), and could play forward and back (though most of his career he was full back).

And he had the nickname Milli (as in Milli Vanilli) cos he never spoke :lol:

I did say to my wife when that buffoon Brian Taylor was wandering around the Essendon rooms how weird it was seeing Woosha and Bluey there. Didn't seem right. Like Brandon Matera playing for Gold Coast, but 100 times worse.

Essendon is the Eagles' original rival, well before Freo. A lot of that was because of Sheedy, but still. Always enjoy knocking them off ;) Still need to make up for Windy Hill in '89 :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

AFL Season 2014

Lol. I was at that game.
Ambrose Burnside

It has begun.

Matt Priddis announced his retirement today despite earning a new contract for next year earlier this year, and Sam Mitchell's biographer has pulled a bit of a dick move by announcing this will be Mitchell's last year as well.

Reading between the lines over the last month or so, and especially after the Collingwood fuck up, there's been a bit of a civil war within the Eagles. It looks like the rebuilders have won.

Petrie, Butler, LeCras (and/or Hill), Giles, Wellingham ... It could get very bloody.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

If only LeCras could play against Port every week he'd be a superstar. Eagles fucked me over last week in my tipping was not happy cost me the round prize and a 2 point lead overall. Priddis fucked if I know how he won a brownlow, he's been a great player but never a superstar. The list I don't think is that bad, you get rid of those guys but you don't want to be wasting the next 3 - 4 prime years of Kennedy and Darling. You also are a completely different team with Nic Nat in the ruck, yeah he's completely useless around the ground most weeks but his presence in the ruck changes everything so if he can get up for the last few rounds then u never know. Now that Priddis is retiring it could go either way though, everyone could drop their heads or group together to get him to the finals and have a crack for him.

I'm waiting on Port to move on Hinkley as it's pretty clear he doesn't have the game day nouse to get over the next hump, it's infuriating to watch the same shit for near on 3 seasons now. Pretty clear the game day stuff in his first couple of years were ideas from Walsh and Richo.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

LeCras has had a good career. 190 games and 400 goals. 2010 Club Champion and All-Australian. The record for the most goals in a single game at Etihad (12 vs Essendon). It's a shame he did his knee when he was at his peak (missed all of 2012), would have then played over 200 games and have kicked around 450 goals (he averaged 56 goals a year across the three seasons before his knee injury).
Ambrose Burnside

Also this:
Priddis was a more deserving recipient of the Brownlow in 2014 than Bartel was in 2007 or Judd in 2010.

2014 - Priddis 28.5 disposals, 15.0 contested, 6.7 clearances, 7.3 tackles
2007 - Bartel 27.3 disposals, 9.6 contested, 3.9 clearances, 5.3 tackles
2010 - Judd 26.8 disposals, 13.7 contested, 6.4 clearances, 5.3 tackles

The shit-hanging on Priddis just reflects people's preference for style over substance. He looked ungainly and had weird hair. He wasn't flashy and wasn't a smooth mover like Judd. He was just a humble, durable, tough, hard-working, ultra-consistent midfielder who was the AFL's most prolific contested ball-winner & tackler over the last 10 years.

1 x Brownlow (2014), runner up (2015)
1 x All Australian (2015)
1 x Best & Fairest (2013)
4 x Best & Fairest runner up (2010, 2011, 2014, 2015), 4th in 2006, 2016, 5th in 2008

He extracted every last drop from his god-given ability. Well-played, I say. Underrated.

Career averages:
Joel Selwood - 244 games, 25.6 disposals, 11.6 contested, 5.3 clearances, 5.3 tackles
Matt Priddis - 233 games, 26.3 disposals, 13.3 contested, 6.1 clearances, 6.8 tackles
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Never in doubt. ;)
Ambrose Burnside

Much like the Eagles coughing up another last quarter lead :up:

Lost track of the number of games this year we've led by ~4 goals only to lose. Time in lead stat we must be top 2 :down:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I know we are still a fair ways off the pace, but 6 times this year we've led in last quarters to then go on and lose. I know the wheel will turn, but damn it's so frustrating. Bombers* did well though and in the end get the 4 points. Really see so much more upside in the blues though.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

AFL Season 2014

Orazio gawn for 5-6 weeks. :(