AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

I'm happy... the Hawks came from nowhere to beat the Dees.

Only pre-season I know... but now they play round 2 in Launceston... and I can watch them live.

Hopefully Buddy Franklin can switch it on like he did in the last quarter on Sunday. That was insane.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Angus Monfries - the next AFL Superstar. Us Bomber fans have known it for awhile, now the rest of you will by the end of this season...
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Juzbuffa wrote:More off field trouble for the Weagles
Fuck, they really are a bunch of scumbags, aren't they...
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Darwi wrote:I'm happy... the Hawks came from nowhere to beat the Dees.

Only pre-season I know... but now they play round 2 in Launceston... and I can watch them live.

Hopefully Buddy Franklin can switch it on like he did in the last quarter on Sunday. That was insane.
Are you old enough to recall the Ess v Haw rivalry back in the 80s, Darwi? I'm reading The Jigsaw Man by Tim Watson at the moment which basically chronicles significant moments during Kevin Sheedy's time as Essendon coach via submissions from various football people who experienced it at the time. It's been great to revisit that rivarly and hear it first hand from players, rival coaches and Sheedy himself.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Pep...How good is that book?!?!! I have a lot more respect for the mad old bastard after reading that. and Timmy, too.
Loved the smelling salts story
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Yeah it's been an awesome insight into how a footy club works for better or worse. The smelling salts story is a beauty. As is the dropping of Derek Kickett from the 93 GF after he played every game that season. Rather the story is a bit sad but it's interesting to read the justifications and to hear from his team mates. Also being reminded about Terry Daniher copping 12 for the 1990 GF brawl. Seeing he retired on 294 games it was a very expensive suspension. Yep it's a great read.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Darwi wrote:I'm happy... the Hawks came from nowhere to beat the Dees.

Are you old enough to recall the Ess v Haw rivalry back in the 80s, Darwi?
Oh yeah.

Still HATE Essendon with a vengeance (for '84 and '85). And it hasn't helped that we have also been their whipping boys for the best part of the last six or seven years.

And then we have the brawl of 2004...
Texas

Post by Texas »

...and your captain is a thug...
Gr8ness

*LiNNYroX*

Post by *LiNNYroX* »

Texas - Monfries is a HACK. No talent midfielder. As a Bombers fan you will no doubt remember when he sprayed an open shot at goal last season. Could have won you a game. God, what a loser.
www.iplcricketnews.com - #1 Site for all things IPL!
Texas

Post by Texas »

Um... miskicked a snap in the wet, not sprayed it. Yes, he did have the time to steady, but he has been forgiven by all and sundry.
Yeah, he's such a loser. And he is a forward pocket player, not a dedicated midfielder, which shows how much you know
Gr8ness

Texas

Post by Texas »

And as for the Eagles... DOUBLE STANDARDS. All I am gonna say
Gr8ness

Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Texas wrote:...and your captain is a thug...
Nah... one indiscretion doesn't make you a thug.

Essendon had it coming...

It was time for the Hawks to make a stand against a side that had it over them for too long. Ok, they went a little too far - and got belted on the scoreboard - but from that day Essendon has not been able to physically intimidate Hawthorn... or pretty much anyone for that matter.

The tide has since turned.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Texas wrote:And as for the Eagles... DOUBLE STANDARDS. All I am gonna say
Reigning Premiers is all I'm going to say :lol: :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
*LiNNYroX*

Post by *LiNNYroX* »

Texas - I couldn't give 2 shits where Monfries plays whether it be in the forward line or midfield. The fact that he plays for Essendon is enough for me. Just remember where Essendon finished last year. Write that down.

Like Ambrose - all i can say is Reigning Premiers.

Ambrose - anyone that wants to have a go at WCE, bring it on. I got your back mate.
www.iplcricketnews.com - #1 Site for all things IPL!
Texas

Post by Texas »

...just as I couldnt give a flying fuck about the eagles. Except when they have such massive double standards about player behavior.
And I can safely say right now that you won't be premiers this year. Write that down.
Gr8ness

jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

No, they will be premiers. Premiers of the Perth Magistrates Court.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

*LiNNYroX* wrote:Ambrose - anyone that wants to have a go at WCE, bring it on. I got your back mate.
I don't think someone as one eyed / blinkered as Ambrose needs anyone to watch his back.
Texas

Post by Texas »

They all have to watch each others backs, so they don't get too badly ass-raped in jail...
Gr8ness

Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

West Coast is an interesting one.

Arguably the best side in the competition (yes Ambrose, they have weaknesses, even if you don't want to talk about it) - they have probably the worst off-field record in recent times.

Certainly a discipline issue - which is surprising given the nature of Worsfold et al.

While it won't affect their win-loss ratio of the next year or so, it will be interesting to see how it affects the next generation coming through. Club culture is quick to fall backwards, but it takes years to resurrect it.

I'm surprised that the Club didn't make an example of Kerr. They could have easily suspended him for a month or so and it wouldn't have dented the score board. A fine is a slap on the back of the hand for these guys.

Bet they are wishing they had of traded him for a decent forward now.
Texas

Post by Texas »

They have a double standard when it comes to player behavior. Simple as that. And things like double standards cause more trouble to a club long term than getting rid of the troublemaker. (Hello Collingwood!)
Gr8ness

Ambrose Burnside

Texas is like a mini-Sheedy, willing to talk about everyone and everything except the overwhelmingly craptacular performances of his own basket-case of a team. I hope all your bitching and whining about a couple of players from a team on the other side of the country makes what's going to be a loooooooooong season more enjoyable for you. I know I get a kick out of it, and it must be better than sweating on whether or not your team is going to take out the wooden spoon :lol:

And Darwi, there is no "arguably" about it. We are the best. :smoking:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Texas

Post by Texas »

Hey, I am freely going to admit that we had a crap first half against the Scum, but there were enough signs in the second half to make me feel slightly more positive than last year.
Do I think we can win the flag? NO.
Do I think we can make the 8? Yes. First round fodder, but we can do it.
And as for you enjoying our average performances over the past few years, Ambrose, enjoy it while you can, cause the kids we have and our strength off-field means that we won't be mediocre for long. You dont win 16 flags by being crap mate.
And as for the best? I rate you in 3rd right now. All it would take is an injury to a key player or 2 and you will struggle. Or internal turmoil amongst the players arising from Double Standards.
Incidentaly, who here is a paid-up member? I am, and have been for 13 years now.
Gr8ness

Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Texas wrote:Incidentaly, who here is a paid-up member? I am, and have been for 13 years now.
I've been a member for 12 years.

I now pay for a family social club membership ($700)... just to ensure that I am at the front line for grand final tickets in 2009.

Pity about those level 2 seats going empty at the mcg...
Ambrose Burnside

:lol: @ empty seats.

I need to wait until family members die so I can inherit their membership.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Texas wrote:Hey, I am freely going to admit that we had a crap first half against the Scum, but there were enough signs in the second half to make me feel slightly more positive than last year.
Do I think we can win the flag? NO.
Do I think we can make the 8? Yes. First round fodder, but we can do it.
And as for you enjoying our average performances over the past few years, Ambrose, enjoy it while you can, cause the kids we have and our strength off-field means that we won't be mediocre for long. You dont win 16 flags by being crap mate.
And as for the best? I rate you in 3rd right now. All it would take is an injury to a key player or 2 and you will struggle. Or internal turmoil amongst the players arising from Double Standards.
Incidentaly, who here is a paid-up member? I am, and have been for 13 years now.
Bombers right?

Could go either way... all hinges on a) Lloyds recovery from a pretty serious hamstring... and b) Mal Michael's contribution.

Diver Lloyd is a 100 goal kicker... which will lift any level of mediocre to the final eight. It remains to be seen if he is back to 100%. And even so, it will surely take him 6 - 8 weeks to find his feet... and by then it could be too late.

Michael is essential as I'm not sure Fletcher is suited to the new rules (in terms of playing a full back anyway). But there are huge questions over his desire / committment.

Other than that the Bombers will struggle with their lack of pace and intensity... and they have a long way to go in their rebuild. I was thinking bottom four.