AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: AFL Season 2018

Post by Froggy »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 31 Aug 2021 09:35 am Carlton's inability to learn from the past is just mindblowing.
Malthouse, who coached the Blues in 54 games from 2013 to 2015, said a key difference he noticed when arriving at the club after stints at the Bulldogs, West Coast and Collingwood was a lack of “forward thinking” and communication.

“I was staggered, and I still am, at the Carlton board’s preoccupation with past players and past premierships. It drags its VFL success around like a ball and chain,” the triple-premiership winning coach wrote in the Herald Sun.

“I was reminded in one (regular) board meeting that the Blues had won 16 premiership cups. I quickly informed them that they had in fact won just a single AFL premiership (1995) which put the club in the low range for number of flags won since the AFL announced itself in 1990.
Teague's a good coach. Would love him back at the Eagles. He spent three years here before leaving when Simpson was appointed.

But we seem to have targeted Jarrod Schofield from Port and Robert Harvey from Collingwood. Excellent decisions I think.

Hickmott has left to join Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn, and there are rumours that Jaymie Graham is heading off to boost his CV elsewhere after apparently coming close but missing out on the Collingwood job.

Massive offseason for a lot of underperforming clubs.
Felt like the players quit on Simpson and well pretty obviously looking liked it too. I give him mid next year before he's out the door if they land Schofield or Harvey who will then become coach. He's done his job and maybe he's run with them is naturally over now with the list looking like it's close to a semi refresh.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Simpson has to develop a new gameplan. He's done it twice already. We lost our two first choice key defenders in Eric Mackenzie (reigning Club Champion) and Mitch Brown before the end of Round 1 in 2015 (his second year). He then turned to a fat backup forward named Jeremy McGovern to play down back and came up with the Weagles Web that made Subi a nightmare for opponents and took us to the Grand Final. But the gameplan was shown up at wider grounds like the G, so after a couple of years of patching holes (ie drafting Drew Petrie and Sam Mitchell), we cut real deep. I mean look at the players we cut at the end of 2017 (players in bold were best 22):

Paddy Brophy (retired)
Sam Butler (retired)
Sam Mitchell (retired)
Drew Petrie (retired)
Matt Priddis (retired)

Jonathan Giles (retired)
Simon Tunbridge (delisted)
Tom Gorter (delisted)
Josh Hill (delisted)
Tom Lamb (delisted)
Jordan Snadden (delisted)
Sharrod Wellingham (delisted)

We hit the draft hard, played the kids (off the top of my head Ryan, Rioli, Waterman, Allen all debuted in 2018, plus a few others like Brander and Ainsworth that haven't come on), and our new kick-mark style took us to a premiership. Was built on intercept marks down back, elite vision and footskills from the likes of Jetta and Hurn, and insane forward half efficiency. Kennedy, Darling, LeCras, Ryan and Rioli was the best forward line we've ever had.

So I want to see a deep cut like in 2017, we're already seeing coaching changes, and a new gameplan that actually takes advantage of 6-6-6 and new man on mark rules etc. And fuck it, just chuck it around like the Bulldogs.

If we don't see that I want Simpson gone at the end of 2022.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Toby Greene gawn for three.
Ambrose Burnside

Peppermint Lounge wrote: 31 Aug 2021 01:20 pm Toby Greene gawn for three.
He is by far the dumbest player in the AFL.

On BigFooty I said I wouldn't like Yeo as captain as he is too undisciplined and lets his aggression get the better of him (yelling at Gov in the middle of a game, regardless of who was doing the right thing in terms of manning up etc, is a terrible look) blah blah blah and someone implied GWS wouldn't feel the same as Greene is a great (acting) captain and leader. Took the idiot less than a week after that comment to be rubbed out for the entire finals series.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I'm quite happy that Sayers has come in, ordered an external review and is starting to clean up the place. Financially we are as strong as ever. Breaking membership numbers. Sponsors jumping on board BUT, we are a footy club and all we supporters want to see is WINS! Teague wasn't delivering so he really had to go. Now they have set up a group of highly qualified individuals to appoint our next coach so it is quite exciting as a blues supporter at the moment. Big changes off field hopefully reaps rewards on field next year as we have been a basket case and the worst performing team for the last 19 years...
Ambrose Burnside

Vince wrote: 02 Sep 2021 07:24 am I'm quite happy that Sayers has come in, ordered an external review and is starting to clean up the place. Financially we are as strong as ever. Breaking membership numbers. Sponsors jumping on board BUT, we are a footy club and all we supporters want to see is WINS! Teague wasn't delivering so he really had to go. Now they have set up a group of highly qualified individuals to appoint our next coach so it is quite exciting as a blues supporter at the moment. Big changes off field hopefully reaps rewards on field next year as we have been a basket case and the worst performing team for the last 19 years...
It's just members from the board that's failed miserably over the years, plus some more Carlton people for good measure. Not sure I'd be all that excited at the thought of more of the same:
David Parkin, the three-time Blues premiership coach and one of six on the sub-committee, has already tapped into his vast network of contacts and will play a key role in the process. Football director and dual Brownlow medallist Greg Williams, fellow board members Tim Lincoln and Patty Kinnersly, football department head Brad Lloyd and Liddle are also on the panel.
Ambrose Burnside

GUESS WHO'S GOING TO HIS FIRST GRAND FINAL???

:nana:
Ambrose Burnside

Sit next to a Port supporter at work. He's 60 and has never been to a Grand Final either. He is riding all sorts of emotional waves.

Minimum of 10k general admission tickets will be available. Didn't realise that a big fat zero are available for MCG Grand Finals. WA's internet connection will die the second they are made available next Thursday.

I didn't want to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity so splurged on a hospitality package as soon as I got the email to let me know they were available. Worth it.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Congrats. The last GF I attended was 1993. A good day.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah gratz AB.
Closest I got was '98. Picked the wrong year to be in Melbourne.
I got in the lineup for last minute tickets early. Not early enough though. Was about 20 people from the ticket booth when they closed shop. :(
Meh. They did me a favour anyways. Spent the miserable day at Arden St. Fucking Crows. Then spent the evening avoiding Crows fans.

96 on the other hand, my sister and I spent the glorious day at the Bears club at the Gabba winding up the Swans fans there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

1992 was at my uncle's place. Don't actually remember where I watched 1994. 2006 was at my parent's place. 2018 I hosted it at my place.

Have hosted the Grand Final every year since 2014 (the year we moved into our current house).

But not this year :D

Hoping for a Port vs Melbourne Grand Final. Will back Port in that scenario. If the Free Kick Doggies throw their way past Port, I'll be backing the Dees.

Would love for Neale Daniher to see a Melbourne premiership. But geez, Clayton Oliver is so fucking unlikeable. My dream scenario would have been for Oliver to have been suspended and Nathan Jones take his place. Then I would have been all over the Dees.

When I called up to confirm my payment had gone through, the AFL lady laughed at my excitement, and assured me I will have a great time :redface:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

My pref an all Vic GF obviously, with the Dogs to pip the toffee private school boys club.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 11 Sep 2021 09:34 am
Would love for Neale Daniher to see a Melbourne premiership. But geez, Clayton Oliver is so fucking unlikeable. My dream scenario would have been for Oliver to have been suspended and Nathan Jones take his place. Then I would have been all over the Dees.
Haha, what's wrong with poor old Clarry? He'll probably win the Charlie in a week's time. Not sure what's so unlikeable about him.

I've been to three GFs, none of them with a good outcome, for me at least.

2009 I was in the front row on the wing; it rained most of the match and I was too stubborn to get a poncho. Harry Taylor took the match saving mark almost right in front of me, and my heart broke.

2010: the draw was one of the most stressful days of my life. The emotional rollercoaster that day, I'm not sure I'll ever experience something like it again. When Goddard took that mark I was convinced we'd win it. Then when the siren blew, it was such a strange feeling. Nobody around me in the crowd knew what was going to happen, we weren't aware of the rules and thought maybe there'd be extra time. Lenny Hayes won the Norm Smith and I won around $500.

2010 part two: that was a pretty awful day, for obvious reasons. Then it was capped off with seeing an older man have a heart attack on one of the platforms of Richmond station on the way home. I found out later he'd died shortly afterwards. It was only a few minutes earlier he'd been optimistically talking about the Saints' prospects next year.
Ambrose Burnside

Raven wrote: 13 Sep 2021 12:54 pm
Haha, what's wrong with poor old Clarry? He'll probably win the Charlie in a week's time. Not sure what's so unlikeable about him.
Haha well when you don't support either team you have to work out who to support, and the reasoning can get a bit convoluted.

1) He's ugly af
2) He's not Nathan Jones
3) I admit I don't watch Melbourne every single week, but whenever I do he is constantly whinging to the umpires about something
4) He took a dive:
The Eagles took it to the Tribunal and the Tribunal agreed.

Having said that, I'll still be backing Melbourne.

1) Neale Daniher. Not only for all the work he's done for MND, but he was appointed General Manager - Football Operations at the Eagles in 2008 during our Cousins-inspired implosion, before resigning at the end of 2013 because of ill health. We didn't know it was because of MND until a year later. So he has a special place in the hearts of Eagles fans for contributing massively to the overhaul of the club during that time, and the rebound from last in 2010 to top 4 in 2011.

2) Max Gawn is a fucking beast

3) Longest Premiership drought.

4) A Melbourne premiership will move Freo into second on the premiership drought ladder :lol:

Reasons against backing Melbourne (other than Oliver's smashed crab of a face):

1) They are literally cheats but that was over a decade ago and they blew their draft picks anyway :lol:

Reasons against backing the Doggies (just as important when you don't support either team):

1) They throw the ball and get away with it
2) Free kick Bulldogs
3) Danny Southern almost killed Peter Sumich on the field back in 1994
4) Tony Liberatore was an absolute cunt on the field. Don't mind his son though (except when he throws it)

So yeah, weighing it all up I'm on the Dees bandwagon. Aaron Naughton did go to my old high school though...

The midfield battle alone should be one for the ages. Optus is a magnificent stadium. Can't wait!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 10 Sep 2021 02:19 pm Sit next to a Port supporter at work. He's 60 and has never been to a Grand Final either. He is riding all sorts of emotional waves.

Minimum of 10k general admission tickets will be available. Didn't realise that a big fat zero are available for MCG Grand Finals. WA's internet connection will die the second they are made available next Thursday.

I didn't want to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity so splurged on a hospitality package as soon as I got the email to let me know they were available. Worth it.
Is he a Port supporter that supports Hinkley? Coz I was proven right in a big way that he's a fraud. Can't believe they want to keep him on, he should have been sacked today. Years of this shit.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Froggy wrote: 13 Sep 2021 08:50 pm
Ambrose Burnside wrote: 10 Sep 2021 02:19 pm Sit next to a Port supporter at work. He's 60 and has never been to a Grand Final either. He is riding all sorts of emotional waves.

Is he a Port supporter that supports Hinkley? Coz I was proven right in a big way that he's a fraud. Can't believe they want to keep him on, he should have been sacked today. Years of this shit.
He wasn't in on Monday the poor bastard. Waited for him to mention the game yesterday. When I queried him on his thoughts on Hinkley he really just said he thinks he's too soft.
Ambrose Burnside

Well we shattered Ticketmaster records yesterday when the 10k general admission tickets went up for sale. Sold out in between 7 and 9 minutes, depending on which news article you read, with a massive online queue. I'm often critical of Ticketmaster, but the site held up.

Even though I have tickets, I jumped on to help out as many mates as I could. My office simply stopped working during this time too :lol: And every single one of us who logged in and joined the queue (queue opened at 9:30 before tickets became available at 10am) missed out. One mate was literally next in line, then they sold out. Spewing!

I only know of one person who managed to get anything, the team's EA managed to snag a couple of restricted viewing seats. Chatted with her after the madness died down, and she said she had a look on the virtual stadium thingy and the "restricted viewing" ... is the goal post. There are no bad seats at Optus.

I was a bit nervous that I spent too much when Port choked and two Melbourne teams made it given travel restrictions etc, but when their allocations both sold out I felt a bit better, and then yeah. Had I held off and not splurged on a package, I would have missed out.

Some of the peeps I've spoken to who held off and held off and held off are now regretting not splurging earlier. Like Homer missing out on meeting Mr T.
Ambrose Burnside

Starting to get real now. Got an email with all the Grand Final Eve dinner info (will be at Crown's Grand Ballroom), and tomorrow I'll be sent my Grand Final Tickets.

Pumped!
Ambrose Burnside

Goosebumps. Magnificent stadium.
Ambrose Burnside

The whole Grand Final experience was magnificent.

Share it around more often you pricks :up:
Ambrose Burnside

The collective brain aneurysm in the Vic footy media over the Willie Rioli tribunal case has been quite something :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 13 Sep 2021 04:21 pm
Raven wrote: 13 Sep 2021 12:54 pm
Haha well when you don't support either team you have to work out who to support, and the reasoning can get a bit convoluted.

1) He's ugly af
2) He's not Nathan Jones
3) I admit I don't watch Melbourne every single week, but whenever I do he is constantly whinging to the umpires about something
4) He took a dive:
The Eagles took it to the Tribunal and the Tribunal agreed.
It's 2022 and the orange prick is still up to his old tricks:

Video

The Saints player should have wiped that "I'm a diving cunt and the umpires fell for it again" smirk right off his face.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

How you holding up watching this season Ambrose? :D To think that Simpson is gonna be gone before Hinkley just does my head in, one can't coach for shit and the other has had a shit ton of success but here we are.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

In case you're still reading, Ambrose. Josh Kennedy - class act.
Ambrose Burnside

The AFL? Is that thing still around? :emo: