AFL Season 2018

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: AFL Season 2014

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

The Dons/Gatto story was a pretty lame reboot attempt. Unfortunately a reminder of how far Dean Wallis and the club have fallen out.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

It's OK, Cuz is overdue, it's been about a week since he was in the news.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Poor, poor Cuz. :(
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:The Dons/Gatto story was a pretty lame reboot attempt. Unfortunately a reminder of how far Dean Wallis and the club have fallen out.
Nothing surprises anymore coming from that sad time and, to be brutally honest, I don't think many care anymore. It's done and dusted. Players have copped their suspensions. Pretty much everyone behind the scenes (I believe apart from Dr Reid) is gone. It's a new hierarchy wanting to move on. Let them all move on so we can all enjoy just watching the footy again.

Speaking of which- 3 days to go! Very excited to see the blues inject more youth into the team. Hoping we can cause an upset (round 1 generally brings unexpected results) as I can't see too many wins for us this year.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

There you are, Ambrose. Back in the news again.
Ambrose Burnside

Like clockwork.

I've downloaded the Gillard Report. Can't believe it took this long to come out. Glad it has.

Also, Eagles vs Norf at 10am Sunday morning. Fuck off :down:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

So yet more columns and debate as to whether the banned stims Gardiner, Kerr and Cuz were using/dealing weekly are performance enhancing. The empirical evidence says yes hence their inclusion on WADA's banned list but given any further investigation was shut down by the AFL it's all pointless chat now. I suspect if they were properly investigated PEDs would've been uncovered anyway. Their bikie mates at the time deal them, it's not likely their personal integrity prevented them from including them in the mix given they were stealing scripts from club doctors to score prescription drugs. Cuz's physique certainly looked enhanced. Win a premiership by a point. Swans fans still seething.
Ambrose Burnside

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Swans fans still seething.
So are Essendon fans :lol: :up:
Former ASADA boss Richard Ings has weighed into the debate surrounding West Coast's 2006 premiership win.

Ings, who was the ASADA chief from 2005-2010, told Melbourne radio station 3AW that no Eagles players returned positive match-day tests during that season and insists the grand final was the most tested game of the year.

He also added that players were regularly tested for recreational drugs as well as performance-enhancing substances.

"There would have been a significant number of tests conducted on both teams after that grand final and there were no players who were tested who returned positive tests for any banned substance," Ings said.

"It would have been a full screen in-competition test, which means it's not just for steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs but also for a range of illicit drugs including methamphetamine, cocaine and even heroin."

He said ASADA also conducted "target testing" during the home-and-away season and the finals.

"There was a lot of target testing of the Eagles," he said.

"There was a lot of intelligence coming in from various sources that suggested this was a club where some testing should take place and target testing did indeed take place of players at that club during that period.

"Well, there were no positives that came through. There were no match-day positives for illicit drugs."
Source
Peppermint Lounge
The End

AFL Season 2014

What've no positive match test results got to do with it? Didn't help Essendon. There are many techniques for masking PED use, especially when all they're taking is urine. It's pretty naive to think they didn't dabble.
Ambrose Burnside

You can say that about any club ever.
Ambrose Burnside

Chris Judd has given Kevin Bartlett a huge whack over Bartlett's suggestion there should be a black line through West Coast's 2006 premiership.

Judd captained the Eagles to their 2006 premiership, but recent reports highlighting their drug problems during the era have raised eyebrows.

One of them came from Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett, who said there was no longer an asterisk, but a "black line" through their 2006 premiership after the report.

Judd fired back - and he came in off the long run.

"Kevin's got a long personal history of struggling to come to terms with things, and struggling to move on," Judd said on Triple M's Friday Huddle.

"It took him two decades to work out he was going bald and finally get rid of the world's rudest combover. He was sacked as coach and it took him 16 years before he went to another club function after he threw his toys out of the cot.

"I guess by Kevin's timelines, a decade on he's probably not ready to process it and move on."

"Another 10 years and he'll be over it and he'll be ready to move on!"
Source

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Ambrose Burnside wrote:You can say that about any club ever.
Not wrong but few instances of prolonged illicit or PED use among players coincide so line-ball with a prolonged era of success for those players and their club.
Ambrose Burnside

Will always take a win in Victoria :up:

It's even better when it's by 7 goals against a 2016 finalist and your ruckmen are your 4th and 5th best choices due to injury. And then one of them breaks his hand in the opening minutes.

We pulled Giles (who has no match fitness after an injured preseason) out of the WAFL yesterday so as to not risk him now that Petrie needs surgery. Not sure what we've done to offend Polly the Ruck God but I hope my prayers work. I can't believe our ruck combo in Round 1 was Vardy + Petrie (elevated off the "rookie" list) and will most likely be Vardy + Giles next week :shock:
Ambrose Burnside

Cousins will spend the next 12 months in prison.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

AFL Season 2014

Sad for Cuz. Hopefully prison will eradicate the drugs from his life completely. They're the start and end of his undoing.

Round 1 was illuminating. Not surprised Essendon won. We've been tipping that outcome all preseason. Surprised the Hawks didn't come back after Essendon overtook them in the third though.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Hope the high scoring continues throughout the season...
Ambrose Burnside

Especially if it means Freo and Ross Lyon continue to suffer.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Strong of Cloke to get straight back up after that high bump from Zak Jones and kick the goal.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Paging Vince. Greg Williams in red and black.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017- ... omes-a-don" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This Sunday, Williams will be a keen observer as the next chapter in the Essendon-Carlton rivalry is written.

“It’ll be a big game, I’m sure there will be a huge crowd and ‘our boys’ the Bombers … it’s hard to say I’m a Bomber but I really am committed here and I really hope the Bombers kick their arse,” he said.
:shock:
Ambrose Burnside

Doesn't Williams have Alzheimer's some other sort of neurological issue?

EDIT:
In February 2013 it was reported that Williams was among a group of seven former AFL and NRL players who were tested by researchers at Deakin University and found to have symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative condition which has affected some athletes who have had a history of severe concussions and other head traumas. It was reported that Williams was suffering memory loss, including that he no longer recalls many specific details about some of his greatest football achievements, such as Carlton's 1995 premiership game
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Paging Vince. Greg Williams in red and black.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017- ... omes-a-don" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This Sunday, Williams will be a keen observer as the next chapter in the Essendon-Carlton rivalry is written.

“It’ll be a big game, I’m sure there will be a huge crowd and ‘our boys’ the Bombers … it’s hard to say I’m a Bomber but I really am committed here and I really hope the Bombers kick their arse,” he said.
:shock:
Yeah I read that the other day. Not too happy with Mr Williams I must say. I mean, it's one thing to work for your new club and take pride wanting the team to win. But saying he hopes they "kick their arse" is not a good look. Lost a fair bit of love and (what little) respect I once had. I will say, I've never heard Brett Ratten publicly criticise the blues (I've spoken to him and his heart is still all blues but he's hurt by what they did to him so there's a tonne of anger there)... and he has every right to put us down!
Anyway, I'll preemptively give you a congrats for the win tomorrow Pep. Our boys will be no match for your mob. I know it's a cliche though, but playing the kids and exposing them to the colours of senior footy is all we want at this point in time. I mean yes, I'd love wins, but they'll come. For the first time in my clubs life they need to be patient. Weather the storms. Endure the heavy defeats and blood the kids cause I can see that we are building a real quality outfit that are learning a great style of play. In a couple of years all the pain will disappear as finals reappear!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Lol at that deliberate out of bounds free against Essendon. Jesus. Blues were tough though, Vince. Deserved winners. You'll be pleased with that. I like the Blueout jumper.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Lol at that deliberate out of bounds free against Essendon. Jesus. Blues were tough though, Vince. Deserved winners. You'll be pleased with that. I like the Blueout jumper.
The deliberate out of bounds was a farce, but the way BT went on about it was worse! It wasn't the worst deliberate call I've seen, although it's up there.
As for my boys, I tipped a win but was not confident at all. I possibly overrated the dons and underrated our list and coach. I have no doubt we are playing beyond where we should be (we are 25 or so games into a 66 game rebuild). Most teams in our position would be getting smashed week by week. So far (last year and 3 games into this year) I think our biggest loss was by about 70 points. I'm happy and actually surprised at how well some of our younger guys are playing (Williamson playing his first game yesterday was great) and the combination of Plowman and Marchbank in defence is nothing short of genius recruiting on SOS' behalf.
Needless to say I'm stocked to beat the dons. They touched us up last round 2016 with most of their quality players out. They were all back yesterday. Proud to say we had 5 or 6 teenagers playing and 10 guys under 50 games. We haven't been so inexperienced in a very long while. It's still a long journey but the road ahead looks very good!

Darwi, the Hawks? What the hell is going on? I never predicted this. Granted, the swans are also 0-3 but they're actually playing some decent footy. Take out the first half against the crows though and the ha is really look slow, lost and disinterested.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Hawks lol.

Dons will be competitive this year but I do think people are over rating them. Jobe is playing very well which is a great thing. Dons have Adelaide in Adelaide before ye olde Anzac Day blockbuster. Not the easiest couple of weeks.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Hawks lol.

Dons will be competitive this year but I do think people are over rating them. Jobe is playing very well which is a great thing. Dons have Adelaide in Adelaide before ye olde Anzac Day blockbuster. Not the easiest couple of weeks.
A week ago I'd have penciled the dons to win the annual Anzac game, no problems. But pies looked good against the swans (who admittedly aren't looking great).
Hawks really need to make a statement next week against the cats and really show they can win, or else they will miss finals for the first time since 2009 I believe. They've had a super run though. 4 flags in 8 years is a monster effort that I don't know if will ever see again. Circumstances helped out a fair bit to keep them up their but they did very very well. I'd take 4 wins this year and they got 4 flags!