Netflix in oz

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Netflix in oz

Post by Cletus »

:up: Choice
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

:rollin:
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

So I signed up for getflix.com.au and I am very impressed so far. Sure, I could have used a VPN, but this is more tailored towards these kind of streaming services. You can manage which country you want to appear as for each individual service. All you have to do is set your router's DNS settings to the closest servers and it works right away. Alternatively, you can leave your connection to use your ISPs DNS as per normal and set up your devices individually to point to getflix's DNS.

So I've quickly tested it on an AppleTV. For those interested, there's an extra step needed to make it work on this - go to your iTunes Store settings and change it to United States. You'll then see your dashboard fill with a plethora of US content (this img may be old, click for list):
And it all works! I doubt I'll be able to see new Game of Thrones episodes quickly though since they are releasing a subscription based app called HBO NOW this month, so I wont' get my hopes up. All the network apps have live options that require some code to prove your cable subscription so unless you have a workaround you're "limited" to on-demand stuff. Netflix indeed has a shit ton more content now. Some apps seem to be a bit slow on loading pages, but the shows themselves buffer quickly and without interruption. I know what I'm doing over Easter now
:popcorn:

I'll have to watch my quota now though... not sure if using US netflix will be covered by internode or not...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I jumped on to the Getflix deal too, was watching US netflix through the bone last night, very easy to setup just change DNS settings, Agents of Shield in 5.1 HD was great. :up:

Looks like the 40% applies for sub renewals too.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Another site listing daily updates on Aussie Netflix

http://aus.whatsnewonnetflix.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Signed up to netflix. The codec is far superior to Steve's.

The interface is way better. Selection is marginally less appealing, but there are some kooky Netflix only programs that I'm enjoying and I think it actually balances out.

Thoroughly intrigued by the US netflix workaround.
-------------------------------------
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

unfnknblvbl wrote:Stan.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where they decided on that name.

"Oh shit, we're launching tomorrow and we haven't come up with a name yet!"
"Ohshitohshitohshit!"
"Quick, Gladys! What's our top shareholder's name?"

*type type type* "It appears to be some bloke called Adolf"

"...nah, that doesn't sound Aussie enough. I know, what's his son's name?"

"Hmmmm" *type type type* "Kevin."
"...Kevin. Hmm... bit too political, People might think we charge $900 for the service or something. Does he have any brothers or sons?"

*type type type*
"Dammit, Gladys! TYPE FASTER!"
"Fuck you, Barry" *type type type* "He has a younger brother called Stanley."

"Fuck! Still not Aussie enough!"
"fuckfuckfuuuuuuuIIIIII know! How about 'Stan'?"
"WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN MOTHERFUCKING DINNER! 'STAN' IT IS!"
Should've been called 'Bruce'.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I seem to spend more time browsing titles than watching them.

While watching a movie, anyone notice during panning shots there's some mild stuttering? Can become annoying sometimes. Maybe they should lock the frame rate ;). But it could be the codec they're using and I remember seeing this on the U.S. Netflix too. Picture quality is still really good.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Just bought a chromecast, tried Stan, app doesn't support my htc.

Used the iPad, watched some young Einstein with the kids, paused every now and then, will try some HD shit next time.

Come give presto a bag next.

I really hope they do apps for the Xbox.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

flipswitch wrote:I seem to spend more time browsing titles than watching them.

While watching a movie, anyone notice during panning shots there's some mild stuttering? Can become annoying sometimes. Maybe they should lock the frame rate ;). But it could be the codec they're using and I remember seeing this on the U.S. Netflix too. Picture quality is still really good.
Yes I have noticed this in some titles, looks like content is encoded @30fps and hence you get 3:2 judder effect for 24fps content. No option to output 24fps video natively to avoid that judder.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Daredevil Season 1 will be up on US Netflix approx 5:01pm AEST. I expect this will be on AU Netflix as well as it's original content.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Can't wait until everyone's free trial is up and I can get some decent download speeds in the evening again.
The real reason iiNet customers are facing internet speed slowdowns after Netflix's arrival

Man, shitty time to be an iinet customer.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

How's it faring in the evening, are you able to get HD?
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

I'm with iinet and have not had a single issue. On 100mb cable plan. Always HD and not a single hiccup while watching.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

We were using the Netflix app on a phone and then pushing it to the set top box. Uncertain if that was adding extra stress to the data connection because occasional in a movie it buffered.

Watched an ep of something straight from the box and it was fine...

Seriously, this is the correct step for tv. They want us to pay for tv, this is what I am happy to pay. Foxtel has been a complete joke from day 1. They increased piracy in Australia last week and then blamed the Australian public. Fuck off and die!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

So my parents, my sister, and a few workmates have all jumped on board too. I know one person with Stan, and that was just the free trial so they could watch Better Call Saul. The Netflix brand recognition is just too strong, and when people see how easy it all is, and how many devices are supported, they're hooked.
GreyWizzard wrote:Seriously, this is the correct step for tv. They want us to pay for tv, this is what I am happy to pay. Foxtel has been a complete joke from day 1. They increased piracy in Australia last week and then blamed the Australian public. Fuck off and die!
Agreed.

Now if only a Netflix-style revolution would come to live sport and I will be 100% happy.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Hell yeah, give me FoxSports on a Netflix style thing and Foxtel will be gone from my house immediately.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Loving Netflix. It doesn't have everything but what I can't get on it there is always the Interweb. Like it so much I cancelled my Foxtel On Demand subscription. Telstra bumped me to 500 gigs a month so it doesn't much if the content is metred or not.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

F for Fake wrote:Can't wait until everyone's free trial is up and I can get some decent download speeds in the evening again.
The real reason iiNet customers are facing internet speed slowdowns after Netflix's arrival

Man, shitty time to be an iinet customer.
Yep, this blows. Forget "decent download speeds", I'm lucky if I can browse the web some afternoons. Online gaming is generally out of the question, and when opportunities to play are as rare as they are for me it's really infuriating. I'm going to see what happens after the trial period is up, if it's still fucked I'll look for an ISP that doesn't offer unmetered streaming (who'd have thought that would ever be a selling point?). It'll be hard to let go of the super-cheap plan I'm on, but I'd rather pay more for something that works.

Best thing to come out of Netflix launching here is that Nitflux video.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Hemlock Grove bitches!
-------------------------------------
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Foxtel must really be coping some damage. Mate cancelled foxtel last week, after been stuck on the phone for 20 minutes and given multiple cheap deals. Foxtel offered him a plan for 10 bucks a month, yes 10 bucks a month. That's not actually the craziest thing about the deal. The deal for 10 bucks meant he could keep his IQ box so he could watch and record free to air TV......WTF!!!!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

For years people have been complaining about subscription costs and nothing was done, now look, clambering for people's money. $10 a month, lol, either they're desperate for some income from consumers or that's enough to cover it. Bet there will be a few people laid off soon.
GreyWizzard wrote:We were using the Netflix app on a phone and then pushing it to the set top box. Uncertain if that was adding extra stress to the data connection because occasional in a movie it buffered.

Watched an ep of something straight from the box and it was fine...
Probably more to do with your phone streaming to the box than an issue with TPG.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Foxtel are shitcunts. They've been too greedy for too long and had to run ads through most of what they screen which means you're paying to watch those commercials. If they'd run sub fees much lower for their whole plan from the start they'd have had everyone on board and never needed to resort to advertising dollars. I'll sign up for cheap Foxtel when they've nearly bled out and their full package is a couple of dollars a month.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

just signed up for netflix. Looking good already.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

My free trial expires today. I'm not much of a tv person really so I wont re-join but perhaps sometime in the near future. I've got my eye on allflix.net.