Music dupe software

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Music dupe software

Post by F for Fake »

Can anyone recommend a good program to identify and remove duplicate music files? Since my father discovered mp3s he's just leeched with wild abandon and has ended up with a mess of a library, then complains to me about it -_-

There's several free trials but if someone has one they swear by let me know (though I assume most here wouldn't let their library get into such a state...)
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Re: Music dupe software

Post by Lepo5 »

I'm pretty sure iTunes has an option somewhere that IDs duplicate songs.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

iTunes > View > Show Duplicate Items. iTunes will speed things along if the filenames and/or ID3 tags make any kind of sense, but I'm guessing yours don't, and it's still a lot of manual work anyway.

I just conducted a little experiment and copied Immigrant Song from iTunes to the desktop, opened it in VLC and stripped all metadata, then imported it into iTunes. Sure enough, all "Show Duplicate Items" produced was a list of studio and live tracks of the same name, the duplicate file was nowhere to be seen. Which is what I expected- it's a fairly difficult problem, not one I'd expect iTunes to handle.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Yah. I had heard itunes does it but assumed it would be useless unless the songs have the exact same metadata.