Thread for exploring retardation of retarded progressives

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Thread for exploring retardation of retarded progressive

Post by itch »

Oh I see yeah.

Personally I don't mind if a movie is re-written with feminist ideals as long as it's GOOD so I will reserve judgement.

But the female element has definitely been pumped up to suit modern ideals.

Another example of this is the new Star Wars film which (my prediction) will be a hotbed of racial themes.

Black stormtrooper? Black guy in a white stormtrooper outfit? Possibly a good guy storm trooper who has been sublimated into an evil (white) system, and has a romance with a white girl?

Surely, this being Disney, it's an effort to head off any accusations of a racist starwars off at the pass.

(ie: no more 'Jar Jar binks is a house nigger' accusations)

Do I care?

Not if it's good.

Chances are you won't see me complaining about well written stories about women or black people.
-------------------------------------
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
Madmya wrote:To comment on your last article itch, the whole white male thing has become ridiculous. It's funny that the hate for white males generally comes from a group that is fighting for equal rights of some kind. So in fighting for equal rights, they are actually oppressing others. Of course, white males aren't allowed to complain about this and run the risk of being labelled any kind of -ist in doing so. When will people learn that people are shit, not just white males.
But white males are allowed to complain about it and they often do. Why does it bother them? They're white fucking males, man. They won the conception lottery. What is this urge many comfortable white males have to push back on feminists? I don't understand it. So what if a feminist might cite men collectively when describing 'rape culture'. I find these 'men's rights' guys like the one linked in the OP hilarious. They're unintentionally endorsing a lot of what feminists write about the frailty of men and power.
Let's keep feminism out of this, but why do you have to be racist about it? This is what I don't understand. You're going to have to explain to me what the "conception lottery" is because I don't know what you mean. Is it that the world's ideals are based around white men? But then lottery doesn't fit with that at all so I'm lost again.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

So when you were distinguishing between hate for white males vs groups fighting for equal rights of some kind and in the process of doing so 'are actually oppressing others', presumably white males, I was mistaken to cite feminism and white males in my reply?

Conception lottery: First born Australian son to affluent parents - winner. Eighth born Nigerian daughter to poor parents - runner up.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

You weren't mistaken at all but I'm not interested in arguing about feminism because it's irrelevant. It goes further than feminism and the article itch posted shows that. You don't think it's hypocritical and an offensive, gross stereotype?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

This thread is all about how itch hates feminism because of a small section of the group which doesn't actually represent feminism.

FEMINISM
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

But he has specified "retarded progressives" and not all progressive thought...to be fair.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I think it's also fair to say that due to how random life is, the "conception lottery" isn't a guarantee of an outcome at either end. People rise above and people fall. It's not completely ignorant to be suspicious of extreme views...even if they don't represent the majority. These voices often scream loudest and sometimes cause change that isn't in the interest of those they represent. I thought this thread was looking at extreme views. Ones that any real progressive would shudder at due to its ability to cause people to stop listening altogether. A magnifying glass on self righteous indignation.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Madmya wrote:You weren't mistaken at all but I'm not interested in arguing about feminism because it's irrelevant. It goes further than feminism and the article itch posted shows that. You don't think it's hypocritical and an offensive, gross stereotype?
Sorry, what specifically is hypocritical and an offensive, gross stereotype?
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

So back to this white woman who has a found a loophole for being endorsed by a university for being racist and sexist (for equality)

Sargon of Akkad again, what a champ.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

GreyWizzard wrote:This thread is all about how itch hates feminism because of a small section of the group which doesn't actually represent feminism.

FEMINISM
Grey Wizzard, you're not a feminist you're an eagle librarian who wants to freeze a peach and no self respecting feminist would have anything to do with you.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

...just the same as no self-respecting progressive would want to be associated with what your idea of a progressive is, I guess.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Oh yeah, outside of universities, newspapers, media and politicians, no progressive wants any part of it.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Recently the feminist slang and non-word 'Mansplain' was elected the best word of the year by the Macquarie dictionary
Mansplain chosen as Macquarie Dictionary's 2014 word of the year

Macquarie Dictionary has announced "mansplain" as 2014 word of the year, and "share plate" as the people's choice.

Both winning words were chosen from the list of every new word included in the annual update of the Macquarie Dictionary online.

Mansplain is a verb - a man explaining something to a woman, in a way that is patronising because it assumes that a woman will be ignorant of the subject matter (Man + [ex]plain with "s" inserted to create a pronunciation link with explain).

The committee said they felt mansplain was a much-needed word and that it was clever, neatly capturing "the concept of the patronising explanation offered only too frequently by some men to women".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-05/m ... ar/6073620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Straight off the pages of tumblr.

You may remember the woman responsible for this choice, she's Sue Butler

The woman who changed the definition of misogyny from 'hatred of women' to 'kind of prejudiced against women sometimes.' Basically it's the same word as sexist now (because sexism cannot be displayed by females anyway).

Gillard's speech prompts misogyny definition rethink

Prime Minister Julia Gillard's speech in Parliament on misogyny has prompted the Macquarie Dictionary to broaden its definition of the word.

Ms Gillard made headlines around the world last week after she used a 15-minute speech in Parliament to accuse Opposition Leader Tony Abbott of being a misogynist.

The current edition of the dictionary defines misogyny as "hatred of women".

But the dictionary's editor, Sue Butler, says the definition will now be broadened to include "entrenched prejudice against women".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-17/m ... ch/4317468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a habit of cheapening words until they mean nearly nothing. Being raped really just means, something I didn't enjoy happened to me.

The prime minister can accuse her opponents of having a pahtological and mentally deranged hatred of all women, and when that doesn't work the feminist who runs the dictionary will just change the definition for her.

It's some patriarchy we live in huh?
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Cletus wrote:I think it's also fair to say that due to how random life is, the "conception lottery" isn't a guarantee of an outcome at either end. People rise above and people fall. It's not completely ignorant to be suspicious of extreme views...even if they don't represent the majority. These voices often scream loudest and sometimes cause change that isn't in the interest of those they represent. I thought this thread was looking at extreme views. Ones that any real progressive would shudder at due to its ability to cause people to stop listening altogether. A magnifying glass on self righteous indignation.
Well said.

*jazz hands*
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

:lol:
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Must watch:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gavin McInnes (ex-editor of Vice magazine) and lovely Katherine Timpf shoot the shit about the retardation of retarded progressives for an hour.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Scratch that. This episode is so much better, check this out.

It's everything you'd want to expect from a debate between an on point conservative and a retarded progressive.

This guy's my new hero.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Let's see what what 'videogaming feminists' Anita Sarkesian and Johnathan McIntosh have to say about Doom 4 and Fallout 4 at E3

Feminist Frequency ‏@femfreq Jun 14
This level of extreme violence shouldn’t be considered normal. It's not an excuse to say it’s expected because DOOM. That’s the problem #BE3

It’s really troubling (and depressing) that the #BE3 audience is enthusiastically cheering for bodies being ripped apart.
The outrage! The separation between feminism in video games and christian conservatives is barely existant.

The #Fallout4 crafting system is cool. Imagine how much cooler it could be if it wasn’t SO focused on building stuff to kill other stuff.
Isn't that nice? Wouldn't it be SO much better if Fallout 4 was much more centred around constructing teddy bears for disaffected transgendered youths?

A bit sad that #Dishonored2 didn’t make the leap to an exclusively female lead but really pleased they're using Emily in marketing! #BE3
You know what, exclusively female leads is equality. Equally male/female leads is just sad! #equality
Jonathan McIntosh ‏@radicalbytes Jun 15
Bethesda #E3 press conference.

Violence focused trailers: 5
Non-Violence focused trailers: 0
Oh cry me a fucking river.
Jonathan McIntosh ‏@radicalbytes Jun 14
One of the core messages in many video games is “kill or be killed.” That is a VERY political message with deep ideological underpinnings.
Sigh. :roll:

Honestly these people are puritans, not progressives.

Anti-gamer-gate people always say 'Gamer Gate isn't about ethics in journalism it's about misogyny.' Which is wrong, but it's partially right because gamer gate is no longer just about disclosing conflict of interest in reviews. It's now also about calling out these phony 'gamers' and their meddling attempts to neuter art and expression.

I mean, do you think if these people existed in the 70's they'd be like 'Taxi Driver is a terrible misogynistic movie that depicts women as simultaneously prostitutes and damsels in distress. Also, the underage casting of Jodie Foster is promoting pedophilia and this movie should be banned.'

I think they would.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yep, Anita is a shitcunt. Some of those comments are unbelievably retarded.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

pretty sure Sarkesian hates gaming. "Sarkesian" sounds like some kind of psychological event or perspective. Perhaps "Sarkesian" should come to mean "disguising your hatred of a broadly popular thing as constructive commentary on how to better that thing while simultaneously doing your best to make it unenjoyable for everyone but you"

Thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I like it.

lestat and Jizz are trying to Sarkesian Shenmue 3.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

There are a lot of feminists who work in the gaming industry who don't agree with Anita. She's just a loud voice. Like someone who blows themself and others up and people say it's every person of that race or religion.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Madmya wrote:I like it.

lestat and Jizz are trying to Sarkesian Shenmue 3.
ROFL. So true.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

GreyWizzard wrote:There are a lot of feminists who work in the gaming industry who don't agree with Anita. She's just a loud voice. Like someone who blows themself and others up and people say it's every person of that race or religion.
Just like the mysterious unknown religion that just by coincidence each suicide bomber comes from the rest of these mysterious gaming feminists are quite silent in their disagreement.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

GreyWizzard wrote:There are a lot of feminists who work in the gaming industry who don't agree with Anita. She's just a loud voice. Like someone who blows themself and others up and people say it's every person of that race or religion.
The thing is GreyWizzard, believing feminism is just about equality isn't enough. Everyone believes in equality, so how does feminism distinguish itself?

Leading Guardian feminist Jessica Valenti on this issue:
In some ways, feminism’s current popularity is a dream come true: Feminists, myself included, have been working for a long time to convince people – younger women, especially – that they are, in fact, feminists. Believe in gender equality? we asked. Congratulations, you’re a feminist!

But in our haste to convince the world that feminism is a simple, shared value, it may be that we didn’t draw clear enough boundaries. Because if everyone is a feminist, is anyone?
Because believing in equality (being an egalitarian, which they ridicule) just isn't enough.

But because of the confusion around what a feminist is, people who would normally and understandably be seen as foes of feminism are calling themselves and being accepted as feminists.
That means you, GreyWizzard.

Oh, and these people.
For instance, Christina Hoff Sommers, who has found her calling in defending GamerGate misogynists, calls herself the “factual feminist”; Julie Bindel, who recently claimed that feminists focus too much on “the vilification of individuals”, has no problem suggesting that feminists need to oppose the very existence of trans individuals; and even Sarah Palin, who would deny women reproductive rights and cut funding to a shelter for teen moms, laid claim to the word “feminist”.
You know, as you say, reasonable feminists in gaming who aren't 'members of a religion' being trash talked by Jessica Valenti in the guardian.
It’s true: feminist can be a label, a practice and a lens by which we view the world.

But maybe doing the work of feminism is more important than identifying as a feminist. After all, word isn’t just an identity – it’s a movement. It’s something that you do.

Without some boundaries for claiming the word feminist, it becomes meaningless. So once and for all: Can you be an anti-choice feminist? No. A Republican feminist? Unlikely. A feminist who thinks that the issues of importance to women of color or gay women or trans women or disabled women aren’t “feminist issues”? To quote Flavia Dzodan, “My feminism will be intersectional, or it will be bullshit” – and I’m not interested in bullshit.

Feminism is a movement for gender justice – for social, political and economic equality of all women – and one that recognizes the complexity of women’s identities and the intersection of oppressions. It can’t be negotiated otherwise.

I am thrilled that more people are thinking about, looking into, and calling themselves feminists. That is a good place to start. But the ubiquity of the word in popular culture, all the people identifying as feminist – that doesn’t guarantee progress on the ground.

A word doesn’t will a movement into being. Action does.

Jessica Valenti, the self described 'Pope of feminism' setting the record straight.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... a-feminist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guarantee - if you're too sensible, feminists will reject you.