Now this is quad racing!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Now this is quad racing!

Post by Burnzoire »

I've been on the verge of getting into RC flying for a long time but this could possibly be what makes me jump in head first:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-11/t ... ng/6532896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the days of VR Gaming, this might be a step backwards as the goggles are usually low field of view, but the idea is for low latency wireless FPV piloting which isn't quite do-able with the Oculus Rift...

I can see this being a ton of fun!
Tested on a ready-to-fly racing mini quad:
Tested showing a custom build:
Last edited by Burnzoire on 10 Nov 2015 06:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Game of Drones [FPV Racing]

Post by Cletus »

Looks ace! I've avoided quads in my R.C journey. First vid is ace. I could get into that. My DX6i isn't super compatible with quad racers I've just read, but it can work initially. Very interesting.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Yeah looks bloody fun.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

A couple more nice examples of FPV flying:
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

It has begun! Ordered this little ripper last night:
http://www.getfpv.com/frsky-taranis-x9d ... ode-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$311 for radio with aluminium case, inc. FedEx Priority from the US.

My second choice was the Spektrum DX9 but I couldn't justify spending $550 on my first radio. This FrSky is a good unit though. Packed with features, good build quality and has been disappearing from shelves everywhere (hence ordering from overseas).
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Nice! If I do wade into these waters I'll stick with Spektrum because almost everything I have is with them. Might sell off my modded DX6i for an upgrade to a DX9...maybe.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

So my eventual build is looking like this:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty big buy-in, starting without any gear at all :/
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Burnzoire wrote:but I couldn't justify spending $550 on my first radio.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

i spent $50 on my first quad, if that's what you're getting at
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I meant that 2 days after questioning the value of an extra $200 on radio equipment, you're looking at a spend of $2,000 on a drone.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

My RX is capable...not for the super high end but a Blade quad witha lipo and brushless motor upgrades should be on target. the Horizon FPV kit has me interested in looking into that for my planes. I was always trying to fit spy cameras to the helis.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Hercy wrote:I meant that 2 days after questioning the value of an extra $200 on radio equipment, you're looking at a spend of $2,000 on a drone.
Nah I was well aware of the cost of the drone before I bought the radio, which is why I needed to save that $200 ;) Besides, the radio I chose certainly isn't lacking anything.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Update time. Still hooked, but not without incident!

First thing I bought was a little nano quad that I've been practicing with regularly from the comfort of my couch:

I then upgraded to a nano with FPV, in order to practice FPV before going to a full size quad:

I couldn't really test it inside as you need a little more room - It's really hard to judge where walls are beside you when looking at the screen. I eventually took it for a spin in a friend's (small) backyard. Big mistake. I lifted off and quickly found myself above roof level - no problem, except I quickly became disoriented as every fucking rooftop looked the same. By the time I looked away from the screen to fly it line of site, I couldn't tell which way the drone was facing. It quickly ended up hovering over the neighbors yard and as I was attempting to determine how to orient it back to me my screen flickered black and I lost complete signal and control of the drone. It flew away from me and UP fucking high until it finally fell out of the sky over a house in the next street. Fuck. I left my transmitter on and jumped in the car, drove around to the next block to where I thought it had landed. I walked back and forth with my eyes glued to the transmitter's screen, hoping to regain signal. I walked up someone's driveway and got a flicker of video feed for an instant. The fucking thing is still alive... and.. was that a tv aerial? lol. Long story short, I recovered my drone from the roof the next block over, still intact and working. Pro tip - don't fly anything in suburbia above roof level, even a nano quad.

Not to be dissuaded, I've started to buy bits and pieces for my first 250mm quad. I'm a little freaked out by the expense but fuck I'm looking forward to building it! It's not the most expensive hobby around but it's still a big money sink. About $1000 for the drone, another $1000 for supporting gear (transmitter, FPV goggles, batteries etc), plus a bit more for electronics tools. Then there's the spare parts...

I'm pretty much following this guy's super-clean build, down to his custom 3d printed parts which are on order:
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I think the holy grail of this would be a gimble that tracks head movement while wearing an oculus rift. Imagine that, it would be like flying, that would be so trippy.

Do these guys just view it on a monitor or what?

EDIT: Oh the screen is on the controller... Interesting.
-------------------------------------
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

No no that's only for the nano. It's just a trainer drone. Quad racers are controlled via video goggles, the most common are by FatShark.

You pretty much look like a mong in them

They tend to be far lower quality due to the need for the analogue signal to be transmitted across the air to the goggles. Oculus like resolution would require a high powered video transmitter which means more power draw from the battery. Bigger battery means more weight... Also quad racers use security cameras for their small size, low latency and ability to handle changes in brightness well. I'm sure it's doable if weight isn't an issue, though the oculus itself isn't even wireless anyway.
This video shows you what to expect from a camera like this:
Pretty low res but it's fine for getting about. Most people also mount a go-pro or equivalent to the top of the drone for recording HD footage.

Head tracking is already a thing though and supported by many fpv goggles. Add gimbled servos to your camera and your head movements can be mapped to your camera :) It's more popular in fixed wing fpv since drones can already spin around as though you're looking anyway.
Note this vid is from 2012
Last edited by Burnzoire on 25 Aug 2015 07:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

That's unreal, I might have to get into this when I get some money together.

I see what you mean about drones being able to turn on a dime, but if you're not racing and you're just exploring it might be super trippy to use head tracking while just scoping around.
-------------------------------------
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Yeah there actually are drones out there that can use an oculus, if you're willing to carry battery packs or a laptop around with you. The Parrot 3.0 Bebop drone will do it off the shelf, and has software head tracking by panning around the view of an ultra-wide lens. Tech is moving pretty fast so it'll get there.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

This one's for Cletus:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I just need to buy myself a Fat Shark set up and put it on one of my micros. And a stack of batteries...mine would all be dead. The planes alone would keep me entertained for ages.

Fucken ace videos
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

3D printed parts from FPV Flight Club have arrived, plus the Flight Controller & ESCs. I have the frame, motors and OSD ordered also. Can't wait to start building!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Time to start building...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Burnzoire on 18 Oct 2015 04:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Powered it on for the first time - no white smoke! That's a big relief. Now to configure it before its first LOS flight.
Last edited by Burnzoire on 18 Oct 2015 06:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well done. it's really hard to get the white smoke back in once you've let it out.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

drum roll please...
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

:dblthumbs: And I found a couple of spare bags of white and black smoke just in case