South Park are relentless...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

South Park are relentless...

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tv--radio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 00530.html
Steve Irwin visits South Park

October 27, 2006 - 3:46PM

The creators of the South Park cartoon series are unrepentant about a new episode that shows Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin attending a party in Hell with a stingray barb protruding from his chest.

Irwin died just eight weeks ago when a stingray barb pierced his heart as he was filming off the north Queensland coast.

The South Park episode, which had been scheduled for broadcast in the US on Wednesday, is expected to upset Irwin fans and his family - wife Terri and children Bindi and Bob.

But the show's creators say it's not the first time their work has created waves.

"We have offended people in the past and probably will again," a South Park spokesman a London newspaper.

"We know that regular watchers will not be shocked."

In the episode, Satan hosts a fancy dress party attended by Irwin, Princess Diana, Adolf Hitler and other famous dead people.

But Irwin is kicked out by the Devil because he's not in costume.

Britain's media watchdog has labelled the episode distasteful.

"This is such bad taste and the makers of South Park should review their decision to show it," watchdog John Beyer said.

"Steve's family are still grieving.

"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive."

AAP
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

No surprises here.

Nor do I think it's as offensive as the media will blow this out to be.
I actually find it more offensive that people think there should be a world wide never ending grieving process for fallen celebrities.

If you're in the public eye,you're public property pure and simple.You can't be a major public figure and be immune to jibes and pisstakes.

Nothing is ever too soon.Nobody is going to force Irwin's family or fans to watch South Park.They have a choice to avoid it.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

:down: not cool at all. It doesn't even sound funny at all, just offensive and in poor taste.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I watched the episode, they even point out that it's too early for the joke. There's a halloween party for Satan and they get all pissed off when they think somebody dressed up as Steve Irwin, when it's actually him.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I watched the ep today and its not really that bad.

A dude walks up to the devil and says that someone is dressed as the crocodile hunter and that guests at the Halloween party find it offensive. The devil goes up to the guy dressed as the Croc Hunter and says that its just too soon to be dressed like that and asks him to leave. Irwin says that its really him and not someone dressed as him, the devil pauses for a second and asks him to leave because he's not in fancy dress.

That is all.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 28,00.html
SOUTH Park's creators have made a cartoon poking fun at Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin's death as his daughter Bindi prepares to launch a fitness DVD "taking the bite out of obesity".
South Park has revealed an episode in which Irwin attends a fancy dress party in hell with a stingray sticking out of his chest.

Irwin died on September 4 when a stingray barb pierced his chest while diving on the Great Barrier Reef.

"We have offended people in the past and probably will again,'' a South Park spokesman told a London newspaper.

The episode had been scheduled to air in the US on Wednesday (Oct 25).

The timing could not be worse after Mr Irwin's eight-year-old daughter today announced she would launch her first DVD Bindi Kidfitness which features her famous father.

Available from November 25, the DVD will "fight fat with fun''.

It includes nine animal-inspired songs and routines performed by Bindi and her all-singing, all-dancing sidekicks the Crocmen.

Bindi also whips up fat-free treats with her father in a segment called "Steve's Cooking School''.

Irwin features throughout the DVD as he dances, plays instruments and - in a scene that may raise questions about its suitability - swims with his daughter.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

South Park rude and offensive??.......noooooooo...its what they do.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

edgecrusher wrote:...its what they do.
Exactly! The World needs people like this to take the piss and offend people.

IMO? This doesn't affect me directly in any way, therefore I find it amusing. However on the other side of the table, a take on such a recent event will anger off a lot of people :x

Oh yea...
Steve's family are still grieving...
...and still making $$$
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

What's so bad about a DVD showing Steve swimming with his kid?

It's just like after September 11, suddenly old images of the tower were taboo, like we should be ashamed of them.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

The Doug Anthony All Stars would have had jokes written about Steve before he hit the ground.

:)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Cletus wrote:I actually find it more offensive that people think there should be a world wide never ending grieving process for fallen celebrities.
QFT
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Darwi wrote:The Doug Anthony All Stars would have had jokes written about Steve before he hit the ground.

:)
Oh my god they need to bring back Good News Week.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

or DAAS Kapital
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

DAAS KAPITAL!!!...at least on dvd anyway
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I watched it, I found it pretty timid overall. The only time I laughed was the scene of the Catholic priests with naked children on leashes.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Tame. Very tame. The episode sucked anyway.
ruslah

Post by ruslah »

selfish wrote:or DAAS Kapital
I'm not having a dig, but has anyone else noticed that alot of the shows/games etc that Selfish mentions are kinda before his time? Maybe it's just me...
Mum, the meatloaf... We want it now!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

well yeah that one's before my time - i have memories of watching it when i was little, and revisted them thanks to the miracle of a video cassette recorder - but what else is too old for me?

i'm just under a month away from my 22nd birthday - i'm curious as to what else i've mentioned that comes from before i was really coherent. just wondering.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

ruslah wrote:
selfish wrote:or DAAS Kapital
I'm not having a dig, but has anyone else noticed that alot of the shows/games etc that Selfish mentions are kinda before his time? Maybe it's just me...
I talk a lot about things that are "before my time" with friends. When I was growing up I listed to lots of CDs, watched a lot of bratpack movies and generally immersed myself in the popular culture of the time.