NRL 2K16 - season over thank fuck

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: NRL 2K16 - penalty to Melbourne

Post by Candy Arse »

The Grand Final was last week, it was won on the back of a dodgy sin-binning.

Tomorrow is an exhibition game between two teams no one gives a fuck about.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:lol: Penriff
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

pilonv1 wrote::lol: Penriff
When do Eels play?

Panthers were missing about 8 players from our streak early on this year including both halves.

I didnt expect us to even feature today with the way our team was ripped apart. Yet even with pretty much our SG Ball team we were the second best under 20s team. At one stage they looked to have it won. But in classic under 20s fashion defence was non existent.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Cmon Sharks. Not going to get another chance anytime soon. Blow this and it could be 10+ years before you get another shot.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Fuck this game
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Shit game played by two teams who are lucky to be there.
mxlegend99

Re: NRL 2K16 - season over thank fuck

Post by mxlegend99 »

I thought it was a good game and was happy the Sharks won that. Sharks came good when they needed to. Happy they won a premiership. I just hope its 50 years before it happens again
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Can there be a worse end to the season than Fifita scoring the GF winning try?
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Megaman wrote:Can there be a worse end to the season than Fifita scoring the GF winning try?
Broncos winning.
Storm winning.

2006 was about as terrible as it could get.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Up the mighty sharks! :nana:

Great time to be in the shire. :up:

Haters gonna hate, but you gotta give it to the sharks, they played their hearts out and beat the fucking storm, newscorp funded mega cheating super star team.

I only wish my father was still alive to see the day, he was a big supporter and it's sad he wasn't able to see it. :(

50 fucking years, crazy weekend of football in the afl/nrl, massive droughts broken in both codes, foreign major city team am cry.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat aren't you a Roosters fan?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I only managed to catch the last 10 mins after me and the missus got home from dinner. I heard a bit on the radio as we got in the the car and couldn't believe it was 8-4 or something with 25 mins to go. Anyway, it was great the Sharks won, whether you love 'em or hate 'em, Storm has won it enough and despite an exciting last 10 mins that I saw, the Melbums couldn't quite break through when they needed to. A 50 year drought come to an end also gives hope for Warriors fans. ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Congrats Sharks. They set it up with that first half. I was getting tired watching it. Super fast and Melbourne would've spent a tonne of energy keeping it to 0-8. I thought it was all over but Melbourne got their shit together in the second half. Can't believe Fifita got his arm over with four or five Storm players on top of him. Great game.

That first half Cronulla try. Such an advantage getting a scrum feed so close to your line. The feed + try was over before Melbourne players were able to stand back up let alone defend. So I guess scrums aren't just about the advantage of retaining possession but also the advantage of having half the opposition defensive line literally bending over. Fucking scrums.

Cameron Smith set a new record for gracious concession speeches.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

lestat wrote:newscorp funded mega cheating super star team.
Broncos are the last of the News Ltd subsidaries. Melbourne was sold to a consortium of very rich men in 2013.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

There's not a lot mega or super about the Storm other than Smith, Slater and Cronk. There's a lot to admire about the storm in the way they go about building a team rather than buying a team. They're a far more admirable bunch of blokes than the 17 that represented Cronulla last night, even if most of us hate the way they try to control the ruck.

Nice to see Smith stick around for the speeches, unlike his opposing skipper in Origin.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

mxlegend99 wrote:
Megaman wrote:Can there be a worse end to the season than Fifita scoring the GF winning try?
Broncos winning.
Storm winning.

2006 was about as terrible as it could get.
I love this. Continually validating my point that your hatred for the Broncos is so high that it consumes you.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

When have I ever denied hating the Broncos? Everyone hates them... it doesn't consume people. It unites fans of other clubs.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Cameron Smith's speech last night was the best I've ever seen from anyone in a GF loss, just fantastic and why he's a future Immortal.

Had Melbourne pulled out the win (and they really had their chances), it would have been the best defensive effort ever in a winning GF, it was absolutely brilliant.

Will Chambers will be kicking himself for a long time after missing Cronk on the inside, the premiership was right there.

That grub shitcunt Fifita deserved Clive Churchill, but I'm glad he didn't get it.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

mxlegend99 wrote:When have I ever denied hating the Broncos? Everyone hates them... it doesn't consume people. It unites fans of other clubs.
Oh yeah, hating the Broncos is not exactly rare, but it's to the level of a mental issue for you. It's been weeks since the Broncos were knocked out and here we are still talking about them. :up:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Candy Arse wrote:The Grand Final was last week, it was won on the back of a dodgy sin-binning.
Can't believe no one picked up Candy Arse on this. How dare they apply the correct rules to the Raiders! It'd be akin to me complaining that the refs pulled up Gillett on a tripping charge where more obvious ones (Reynolds) went unpunished earlier in the year.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The rule was applied correctly, it's just been applied inconsistently. I've seen that shit get let go in the regular season...then in the finals someone gets binned while on the other side Josh Hodgson gets put in a crusher tackle, the refs WATCH IT ON THE FUCKING REPLAY SCREEN and still let it go!

Fuck Melbourne, fuck Cronulla and fuck the standard of officiating in the game that has gone backwards since adding a 2nd ref on the field.

P.S you should complain about that! No issues with rules being applied correctly...major issue with stupid inconsistencies.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

He threw his leg out at Thurston - it's indefensible, really. I did complain about the Josh Reynolds incident earlier in the year, that's where they got it wrong and not in the Broncos/Cowboys game. If I'm going to complain about anything it's how they put the whistle away in the last 10 minutes unless the home team is behind, as the case for the Cowboys. Then Broncos not getting the penalty before full time. That's what shits me.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Contrast this with the Swans. After Cameron Smith's nationally lauded concession speech the Storm came back to Melbourne and fronted a fan event where they warmly interacted with Storm fans. Craig Bellamy gave a speech saying how proud he is of his players. The Swans had an event scheduled but cancelled it. This is why the Storm earn this kind of publicity:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/o ... 63fe090d73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRL Grand Final 2016: Melbourne Storm the No 1 sporting club

BRENT READ
Senior sports writerSydney
@brentread_7

Bear with me on this. Yes that includes you, AFL fans. Seven years removed from a salary cap scandal that would have decimated most, Melbourne Storm are the No 1 sporting club in the country.

The Storm, who once lost in the vicinity of $7 million, are on the verge of returning a profit, a rarity in a sport where red ink runs rampant. They have spent the past six seasons in the top eight, this year qualifying for their second grand final in that time.

Their coach is in his 14th season and their captain may be the most respected leader in the country, despite what Sydney media would have you believe.

Their culture, that mysterious elixir that tends to define football teams, is held up as the blueprint for all others to follow. They have done all this in foreign territory, all the while surrounded by AFL clubs who for a long time would have happily swallowed them up.

They have become the standard-bearer in Australian sport. The prototype for others to follow. No doubt, there will be howls of protest from Hawthorn and Geelong. Perhaps even Collingwood and Sydney, where the Swans have carved a niche for themselves that is now under threat from Greater Western Sydney.

Rugby league types will point to Brisbane, a club that regularly returns multi-million dollar profits and boasts the wily Wayne Bennett as coach. Yet hear me out. Melbourne have taken up the running and show no signs of slowing down under an ownership structure that ranks among the canniest in the country, pieced together by businessman Bart Campbell when former owners News Corp Australia were looking for a buyer.

Campbell, once the manager of All Black icons Dan Carter and Richie McCaw, has interests that stretch across numerous continents. Among other things, he is the man responsible for bringing the likes of Manchester City and Real Madrid to these shores.

His interest in buying the Storm came from left field. A long-term friendship with Melbourne head of football Frank Ponissi prompted the pair to catch up during the Melbourne Cup carnival four years ago.

Ponissi parked his car at AAMI Park and offered to show Campbell the facilities while they were in the area. Campbell’s interest was piqued. The pair went to dinner, Campbell gave it some thought and decided he fancied a challenge. He fastidiously formed a consortium involving long-time Storm supporter Gerry Ryan, CrownBet chief executive Matthew Tripp and New Zealand philanthropist Michael Watt.

Their passion for the club remains undimmed, their business savvy prompting the Storm to invest in a way that has meant they could be one of only a handful of teams to finish this year in the black, all the while keeping an eye out for opportunities to broaden their horizons.

They have branched out into netball, buying a franchise in the new professional league and tapping into a female supporter base.

Their slower climb towards profitability has been done with minimal impact on their football department. They remain in the top five clubs in the NRL in football department spending, furnishing coach Craig Bellamy with the funding to maintain their high standards.

Bellamy is arguably the finest coach in Australian sport. On his watch, the club has missed the finals just once — the year they were docked points due to the salary cap scandal.

He takes average players and makes them good. Each year, rugby league’s great unwanted arrive on the Storm’s doorstep and grow wings. Cheyse Blair will play in Sunday night’s grand final. He is at his third club and paid a pittance by NRL standards. Yet he has been a revelation this year.

Bellamy isn’t solely responsible. The club has a core of senior figures who demand the highest of standards, headlined by captain Cameron Smith. There are those who question his tactics when it comes to opposition and officials, but his leadership is without fault.

When Cameron Munster stepped out of line while on Queensland duties earlier this year, it was Smith’s words that resonated the most. When the club’s younger players needed a rev in the pre-season, Smith and the other leaders helped deliver the message.

Rugby league has spent recent decades playing catch-up with the AFL. The sport has fallen behind on major issues such as expansion. It is slowly closing the gap on broadcasting dollars.

Its clubs have lagged behind as well. The Storm are the exception. They now lead the way.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Nice fluff article that glosses over the fact that their finals and grand final records are tainted as is the sport itself. They're the biggest cheats in the history of the sport in this country :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Parramatta's breaches were of similar amounts over a longer period. They didn't have titles to lose though. The administration that penalised Storm not the one who penalised Parra so it was interesting to see hindsight come into play when they decided playing for no points is too steep a penalty.