Top Albums of 2015

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Top Albums of 2015

Post by emptyvessel »

Seeing as nobody posted one of these threads last year, and there hasn't been one made so far, I thought I'd start things off with my rundown of the best albums of 2015. It's been such a good year for the music I enjoy (pretty much Proggy Metal and its variants), I've actually got enough for a Top 10 plus a fair bit of change.

So without further ado.....

1. Between The Buried And Me - Coma Ecliptic

Years ago, I took a random punt and bought Alaska by BTBAM after hearing good things about it. I gave it a couple of listens and then completely shelved it (and BTBAM) because of the presense of only harsh vocals. With Coma Ecliptic about to come out, I gave a listen to their most recent albums and although they've evolved, I still couldn't get into it. Then the preview songs for Coma Ecliptic came out and I enjoyed them enough to put down my cash for the full album. So, how did it become my favourite album of the year? Simply, BTBAM has kept their technicality and aggression and added in a greater sense of melody (particularly vocally), apparently by listening to an arseload of Queen recently. Brilliant brilliant album.

2. Chaos Divine - Colliding Skies

David Fucking Anderton. Amongst all the amazing vocalists in the bands I love (I'm a vocals whore), this guy sits alongside Jim Grey as a vocalist whose tone makes me rather moist. A natural baritone who works mainly in the higher part of his range, Chaos Divine's debut album showed how good he was, but the rest of the band and the songwriting hadn't caught up. They definitely have now, producing a fantastically written and performed rock album with a slight metal flavour.

3. Eidola - Degeneraterra

I have no idea how I arrived at Eidola, as they're usually associated with yelly Post-Hardcore bands which I mostly don't give a shit about. However I'm exceptionally glad that I found them, as they've produced an album which is fresh, heavy, catchy and exceptionally well written. Lyrics and vocal melodies work brilliantly, and the band is flexible enough to shift from Post-Hardcore riffs to noodly progressions to country tinged acoustic with no sign of diminishing skill or quality.

4. Leprous - The Congregation

It took me a bit to become convinced to jump on board with Leprous, given their rigidly staccato style of progressive metal can seem a bit simplistic on first listen. Underneath that though, there's a complexity that shines through after repeated listens and a precise craftsmanship that doesn't allow the progressive bent to detract from creating catchy songs. And the vocals are amazing as well. Definitely a grower, but extremely worth persisting with.

5. Caligula's Horse - Bloom

I mentioned Jim Grey in regards to pants-burstingly amazing vocal tone before, and as per usual he delivers (although I think he performed better this year on Known/Learned by Arcane). Admittedly this one took me a bit of time to really enjoy. Caligula's Horse are usually on the more delicate side of heavy, but this time they passed up the cold undertones of the previous album to add a sunnier tone in across a lot of the songs. I'm not sure whether they were attempting to lighten things a bit to attempt a crossover into the mainstream, but this albums has shown that they can do that without losing what makes them great.

6. Periphery - Juggernaut Alpha/Juggernaut Omega

Two albums worth of everything you'd expect from Periphery: Triple-barrelled guitar riffage, drums which seem simplistic but hide a massive technical skill, and Spencer Sotello either melting faces or sounding like a nasally pop punk singer. Djent as a "genre" has gone from being hot to being a bit of a mockery in the space of three years, and 2015 had new albums from two of the progenitors (Periphery and Tesseract) to try and show that there is more depth to be found. Out of the two, I think only Periphery has bettered their prior output, producing a fantastic mix of everything that makes them good with some real evolution in their songwriting, if not their sound.

7. Good Tiger - A Head Full Of Moonlight

What is it about Ex-Tessaract vocalists and new bands this year? This time it's Elliot Coleman. Combined with the remains of The Safety Fire, they created a band, crowdfunded an album and produced something which is slightly progressive, with good chunks of Safety Fire style fretboard fiddling, but is mostly riffy rock driven by Coleman's high register vocals and a tight sense of melody and hook.

8. Tesseract - Polaris

Yes, this made my top 10. Yes, I was exceptionally disappointed when it was released. Yes, in my opinion Ashe O'Hara was the perfect vocallist for Tesseract, and whilst not as technically good as Dan Tompkins he has proven to be far superior in terms of crafting vocal melodies and his higher range cut through the djent mud a bit. Yes, even the music seems to be going through the motions a bit. This isn't a patch on Altered State, which stands as one of my favourite albums. What it is, however, is a riffy, groovy, sinuous album which I finally managed to appreciate for what it is.

9. Wild Throne - Harvest of Darkness

Somewhere between the shouty freak-outs of At The Drive In and the progressive noodling of The Mars Volta, we have Wild Throne existing in the chaos zone of wailing shriek and pounding riff. This album is actually exhausting to listen to because there are very few let-ups and points where it eases off the assault. That doesn't diminish from the fact that it's a hugely enjoyable slice of primal crazy that deserves a bit of love.

10. VOLA - Inmazes

In browsing through some websites I started seeing reviews of this album which described it as a mix between Prog/Djent music and Depeche Mode vocals and keys. Given I fucking hate that type of 80's new romantic styling, I immediately filed it under "GTFO". Then I kept seeing buzz about it, so started listening to a few songs and got immediately turned off by the 80's styling. Then I saw it start popping up at the top of "Best of 2015" lists so I decided once and for all to give it a go. And you know what? It's a fucking great album, even for someone who would rather gargle bleach than listen to new romantic stuff. It's just so fucking heavy that eventually I got over myself and embraced it and the odor of synthesizer and permed mullet that hangs off it.

To add some context, here are the rest of the albums I listened to this year..

Arcane - Known/Learned: Almost almost made it, primarily because Jim Grey sings on it and he's amazing. A double album that loses freshness over its excessive length, but the best parts are amazing.
Voices From The Fuselage - Odyssey the Destroyer of Worlds: Another one that almost made it purely on the strength of the vocalist, being Ashe O'Hara (ex-Tesseract). Gorgeous vocal performance and enjoyable songs, but the lack of technical quality in the music leaves it a bit lacking.
Breaking Orbit - Transcension: Their previous album was a big favourite of mine, and this is solid, but it's not a world beater. Maybe because Matt Quayle's vocals are sounding even more bored than usual.
Shattered Skies - The World We Used To Know: This came out really early in the year after a long gestation, and I was very disappointed. Subsequent playings have me enjoying it more, as the songs are catchy as hell, but it's all hook and precious little substance unfortunately.
Native Construct - Quiet World: Every Prog Metal reviewer has been creaming themselves over this one, but this baby Between The Buried And Me (BBTBAM?) has tipped over onto the wanky side of Prog a bit too much for me.
Rishloo - Living As Ghosts With Buildings As Teeth: When Rishloo got back together after a nasty breakup, I was super excited for this one. A very good album, but the declining relationships in the band seem to have diminished some of what made them special in the first place.
Teramaze - Her Halo: Good riffage? Check. Impressive vocalist? Check. Then why am I not entertained? Maybe I've been listening to too much proggy stuff and their song structures are a bit too conventional for my tastes this year. I dunno, didn't dig it.
Kingcrow - Eidos: Leprous-esque with a bit more conventiality thrown in. Solid but not spectacular.
Novallo - Novallo II EP: I generally don't buy EPs but these guys put out a good slice of bouncy lighter-shade metal that is good fun, but as an EP it doesn't have much time to explore their sound.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Re: Top Albums of 2015

Post by stanard »

In no real order.

Blur - Magic Whip
So good to have these guys back again, although I don't think it lasted, damned egos. Sure it's nothing on the genius of 13, but it definitely ranks up there with their others.
Tame Impala - Currents
Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
Floating Points - Elaenia
LANKS - Banquet EP
Grimes - Art Angels
And while he didn't have an album in 2015, Kirin J Callinan had the song of the year:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I haven't listened to a lot of new music this year, but these two I've enjoyed a lot.

The Slaves. Are you satisfied?
Can't find the full album on YT, but this single is amazing:

Earl Sweatshirt. I don't like shit, I don't go ouside.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

1. Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
2. TesseracT - Polaris
They're the only new albums I've really listened to.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Veruca Salt - Ghost Notes
It's the only music I bought that was released last year. Chick rock at its finest. I don't even care that 'chick rock' is a vaguely sexist term either, so suck it whoever gets upset about that term. If it gets young girls believing that they can make good music by themselves without being a popstar diva, then I'm all for it.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Speaking of chicks kicking ass on guitar i recently started listening to Orianthi! She fucken shreds!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Music Complete by New Order is a cracker. NO are back.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Did hear a New Order song on the radio recently, sounded just like New Order should.

In no order:

Failure - The Heart is a Monster

Their first album in 19 years, a solid album that never reaches dizzying heights. Very much 90s style alternate rock/grunge, it hits a spot that most 20 year olds don't know. This album did put me onto their older stuff, and any fan of A Perfect Circle will know that The Nurse Who Loved Me is a cover of a Failure song - the original of course being the best version!

Chris Cornell - Higher Truth

He's gone down the folk path as expected, which is good. A good album that can meander along a bit.

Ghost - Meliora

Their best effort, but they still can't nail that perfect album.

Faith No More

Half the board has probably heard it. Great return, sounds like Faith No More whilst still sounding new.

2016 looks to be a cracker.