Dick Smith - The Greatest Private Equity Heist of All Time

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Dick Smith - The Greatest Private Equity Heist of All Time

Post by t0mby »

Want to know how to turn $10m in to $520m in less than two years? Just ask Anchorage Capital. The private equity group has pulled off one of the great heists of all time, using all the tricks in the book, to turn Dick Smith from a $10m piece of mutton into a $520m lamb.

Having spent the morning poking through the accounts, we’re going to show you how it all happened.

Firstly, Anchorage set up a holding company called Dick Smith Sub-holdings that they used to acquire the Dick Smith business from Woolworths. They say they paid $115m, but the notes to the 2014 accounts show that only $20m in cash was initially paid by the holding company.
An interesting read, more here.

https://foragerfunds.com/bristlemouth/d ... e/?repost=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"shhh"
Last edited by t0mby on 10 Jan 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Dick Smith - The Greatest Private Equity Heist of All Ti

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I don't understand why people would have invested in Dick Smith when it was floated. I mean all the dodginess going on may have made things look good on paper but anyone walking into an actual Dick Smith store would walk out again after a couple of minutes to wander over to the nearest JB.

The place has been rubbish for years.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

As soon as they moved away from a hobbyist type store to JB hifi but mainly private label they were doomed
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Yup, pretty much Pilon. I used to buy all my little electronic plugs and stuff from there, now Jaycar has my custom.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I bought my recent tv from Dick Smith, great quality featureless cheapie tv.

But I'd never have looked at them if I wasn't after a cheap tv.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Shame what happened to Dick Smith. I used to like the feel of their old stores before they went mainstream. Ended up being more like electronics version of Overflow
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well they opened a new store at Epping plaza a few months back. It was winter and I had a $100 gift voucher. As I said it was winter. I was wearing a beanie and fingerless gloves because it was so cold. Earlier that day I'd bought a memory stick at the post office. So when I walked into the new DS store, I beeped on entry and nobody took notice. But this arogant fucktard followed me around the store practically demanding I tell him what I was looking for. When I told him I was looking around he followed me and stood less than a metre from me. Icracked it in the end and told him he had a problem. When I walked out the security beeped. I ignored it and kept walking. Fucktard chased me even though I was walking and accused me of stealing. Yold him it beeped when I came into the store and fucktard says "no it didn't". I returned to the store and they demanded I empty my pockets. Then they literally went through my wallet. I was flabbergasted. Then the memory stick turns up, with the receipt from Auspos and they conceded I hadn't stolen anything.

I'll be going back in on Monday just to gloat.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I'm not surprised they treated you like that only wearing a beanie and fingerless gloves. I don't even want to know where you were storing that mem stick.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

One advantage of being bald and rocking a full beard is everybody assumes you're a hard cunt and leaves you alone.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

No one put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to invest in Dick Smith though which I think is the key point to this for anyone losing money on the sharemarket collapse of DSE.

Cletus, u should have just gone full homeless crazy man on them it would have fit with the outfit. Fuck I hate that being followed around a shop when you know someone is doing it and for some reason they've summed you up as a certified shoplifter. I have to say one of major issues with going to JB is that they do this as well as treat you like a criminal whenever you try and leave even with a purchase, I have had them take shopping out of my bags and go through the receipt and check each item and it is stupid when I have bought games which they don't even have in their case on the shelves anyway lol
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I had one of the HN staff scrunch up my money as I payed to test whether or not the notes were real or fake. It was quite embarrassing actually, won't go back there with my hard earned money.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

You guys must be really dodgy looking eh? Either that or you act suspicious down the aisles. I've never had staff request to look in any bags, shopping or otherwise. Then again the Kiwi accent throws them. Weren't your ancestors dodgy? ;)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

You can't go to JB and not have a bag checked if you have one they are like bag checking Nazi's.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25/d ... er/7200006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dick Smith closes down after 48 years.

They have two months to close all stores, lots of job gone. Expect Wii U-like fire sales.
Dick Smith stores across Australia and New Zealand are expected to close over the next eight weeks after its receivers were unable to find a suitable buyer for the company.

The remaining 301 stores in Australia and 62 in New Zealand will close, resulting in the loss of 2,460 staff in Australia, and 430 in New Zealand.

In a statement to the Australian Securities Exchange, receivers Ferrier Hodgson said it was a disappointing outcome.

"While we received a significant number of expressions of interest from local and overseas parties, unfortunately the sale process has not resulted in any acceptable offers for the group as a whole or for Australia or New Zealand as standalone businesses," receiver James Stewart said.

"The offers were either significantly below liquidation values or highly conditional or both."

The receivers said all Australian employee entitlements would rank as priority and are expected to be paid in full.

Last month the electronics retailer went into receivership after sales and cash generation were below expectations in the key December trading period.

Dick Smith said at the time the directors were unable to secure support from the company's bankers to provide finance for restocking to see it through the next month to six weeks.

That prompted them to appoint McGrathNicol as administrators to run the firm while restructuring or sale options were explored.

However, after the appointment of administrators, Dick Smith's lenders appointed receivers, Ferrier Hodgson, to run the firm and protect their financial interests.

Earlier this month the Fair Work Ombudsman launched an investigation after evidence emerged the failed chain might have underpaid its employees.

Ferrier Hodgson discovered the discrepancies, worth as much as $2 million.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:bow: fire sale :bow:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Most of the stores near me have been looted of all the stuff I want. Can see a lot of DSE brand TVs up for grabs though.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I wouldn't mind a new Logitech keyboard.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Might check it tomorrow. Saw a mechanical keyboard there the other day. Expect the staff to take first dibs though
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Rorschach wrote:Might check it tomorrow. Saw a mechanical keyboard there the other day. Expect the staff to take first dibs though
Do they even have enough pay to buy anything? :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

We're going to buy a house full of appliances for the joint we're renovating/rebuilding - TV, sound, kitchen - the lot. Thinking whether the bargains I might find here are worth chasing given the discounts we can push for when buying the lot in one transaction.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:We're going to buy a house full of appliances for the joint we're renovating/rebuilding - TV, sound, kitchen - the lot. Thinking whether the bargains I might find here are worth chasing given the discounts we can push for when buying the lot in one transaction.
I doubt it, nothing outstanding, you'll need to cross check everything as it might be just down to what u can get it to normally from somewhere else. Went today, was shit.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Going in tomorrow. Honestly don't expect to find much but would love that mechanical keyboard.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just be careful if you buy any dse branded stuff. If it fails you won't be able to get it repaired or replaced and you won't have anyone to ask for a refund on.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Went into two shops today - would classify it as controlled chaos. People everywhere - the keyboard I had my eye was still there but the max discount they were giving was 40% off and KB was marked at $199, bugger that. The DSE brand TVs were bargain basement prices but I wouldn't touch them, after being burned by Soniq, will never buy a budget brand TV again. Kind of sad to see the Dick Smith brand die, I remember when it was more like Jaycar back in the day and it was event to go there when I was in primary school. Even after the move into consumer electronics there was the odd good deal to be had. It was only when they made the fully fledged transition into what I'd call 'bogan-electronics', you know, the cheap shit headphones, bluetooth speakers and phone chargers that they were always going to die.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I have a DSE branded tv and for a featureless tv (motion blur and that shit) it's fairly decent.

Great response times too. Good for a secondary gaming screen.