Telstra free data today

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ben
Southpoor

Telstra free data today

Post by Ben »

Yo, bit late with the heads up but if anyone has a telstra mobile service post or prepaid, you've got free data until midnight tonight.

Is supposed to make up for network issues earlier last week.

I turned on my phone tether to my computer at 12.01 am this morning, and booted up steam as I haven't had home net for a while.. it was pulling down at almost 7MB a second, finished downloading my backlog of game updates at a total of 50GB~ by the time I got up :lol: probably not caning the same speeds now but going to go boot all my consoles and grab any outstanding system updates whilst I've got the free data.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Telstra free data today

Post by Cletus »

I'd love to take full advantage of this but I have 1TB on my home plan and 11GB on my mobile data, neither of which I'll ever come anywhere near hitting.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Ben wrote:Yo, bit late with the heads up but if anyone has a telstra mobile service post or prepaid, you've got free data until midnight tonight.

Is supposed to make up for network issues earlier last week.

I turned on my phone tether to my computer at 12.01 am this morning, and booted up steam as I haven't had home net for a while.. it was pulling down at almost 7MB a second, finished downloading my backlog of game updates at a total of 50GB~ by the time I got up :lol: probably not caning the same speeds now but going to go boot all my consoles and grab any outstanding system updates whilst I've got the free data.
Bet Telstra won't offer that again! :rollin:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Think I cleared about 100 GB in the end, the speed was pretty consistent despite my predictions.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

One of my workmates on the GC used to get crazy speeds on his 4G when tethered, was faster than any internet I've had, even my Cirign Fibre Optic 20MB so 100gb is believable.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Just surprised me as most of the times I'd phone tethered in the past I'd be happy with 1.5 mb/s, so seeing almost constant 5-6 seemed nuts.

I would have cleared slightly more if I'd realized how many humble bundles I had unredeemed because I hadn't bothered logging in to steam to punch in all the codes. Deadly Premonition Directors Cut waiting since July last year :lol:

Kind of amazed to still find my first humble bundle keys from years ago still valid as as well. Refrained from redeeming because I was being prissy about what was on my account and something like "crayon physics deluxe" seemed a bit wtf so left it there. Not so fussed now and yeah to my surprise the link still worked and the keys did too.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

man, I didn't even think to do that.

Apparently, Telstra users managed 1.8PB of data yesterday. Petabytes! Over mobile data! Fuck!
I bet the Telstra engineers are pretty happy with themselves. :lol:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Pretty good stress test for the network. Hope Telstra increases the data caps on all of their plans in the near future.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Hmm, well I don't know if the network has goofed or what but my prepaid service with no data left just let me back on the net.. previously if I'd tried I'd just get the "you need to recharge". I noticed when I had the email come through, figure there's probably no way I can get excess charges come through on prepaid and I have no auto-debit so I've tethered again and have pulled down about 8GB no worries! Fingers crossed it just keeps up until my credit expires on Friday :D

edit: boost website is down if you try and access account stuff or recharge. I think I'm fucken golden. 5mb/s.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

OK so it was just a boost prepaid fuckup, all my net was free though so pulled another 39GB :D steam library 100% downloaded and updated with rhe exception of maybs one or two beta versions of games that I already have the full version of.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

In honour of the old ISP wars, I salute you.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

:D I know unlimited plans are pretty common these days but since been lazy/poor and haven't got on a plan yet these kind of days are a delight!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Another outage! Good thing I'm not with Telstra ;).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-17/t ... rs/7256214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

We get another free data day for it too, though this time it's not coming until early April? Though that was a little weird.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

They want to wait until the end of the month for all the left over data that people don't use.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

either the network is thoroughly congested, or they've capped bandwidth today :(
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I wasn't getting amazing speeds but enough to keep me going. I only had a few torrents and digital games downloading so happy enough to have got those.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Shit speeds, virtually unusable. I hate Telstra
Last edited by Rorschach on 03 Apr 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Sorry about the service interruptions, to make it up to you your connection will be even worse for 24 hours!

- Telstra
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

That's what's even more annoying. I pay top dollar for my service so people on prepaid can smash Youtube silly and subsequently degrade my connection making it almost impossible to access the network? Smooth move. A decent company would have given people a break on their bills, $20 off or something.