Help me choose a non iPod music player

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Help me choose a non iPod music player

Post by pilonv1 »

I'm not buynig an iPod because I want an FM tuner and I hate itunes. I was looking at Dick Smiths and JB today and saw some nice Creative ones. I'm looking for something small, 2GB+, no stupid software (drag+drop) with a decent screen so I can read the tracks.

I liked the Zen V+ and the Zen Neeon. Dick Smith had a 4GB Zen V+ for $270 (same price as the 2GB interestingly) and the Neeon 2gb was $220.

http://creative.com/products/product.as" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... duct=14327
http://creative.com/products/product.as" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... duct=15306

The big negative for the Zen V+ is that stupid joystick that brings back horrid memories of my K700i. I saw the Sandisk Sansa e200 one and it looked nice too. Any other suggestions or advice from people who have used them?
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

You've already made a great choice with Creative mate. I'd stick with one of them.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

What about your phone??? I reckon in 5 years time seperate music players will be extinct. Especially when you can buy a 4 gig mem stick for 200 bucks.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

lol @ mp3 players without a touch wheel to scroll
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I had a zen touch, loved it!
sold it to buy a cheap multimedia player, sound quality isn't near as good :(
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

I have a Zen V+, it's great, get one of them.
luro

Post by luro »

the cowon iaudio u2 and u3 are pretty cool. i think they had FM
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

My Zen Touch hasn't missed a beat so far. Can't go wrong with Creative.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Timbo wrote:What about your phone??? I reckon in 5 years time seperate music players will be extinct. Especially when you can buy a 4 gig mem stick for 200 bucks.
Yep that's what I've done. K750i + 4gb memory stick duo. All up cost me $480 and I'm one happy camper. :up:
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

K700i turned me off the Sony range, even though I know they don't have those flimsy joysticks anymore.

Zen V+ it is :thumbsup: Do you have to use the software for it MM? And what's the battery life like?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

The Sony w800i is an awesome phone/walkman with built in radio and presets as well as an mp3 player. 4gb stick and you are sussed.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

My Iriver has served me faithfully since I got it, though it's a lot bigger than you would require (at 40gb). It's drag-n-drop, has a nice FM tuner, all those other features etc., etc. You'd just have to find out if their newer models support the same "acts as a hard drive/flash drive when connected to a PC" behaviour.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

The DSE near where I work has it for $329 :(. I'll have to check back with the store in Newcastle where I saw it for $269 to make sure they have some or that the store here will match it.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

pilonv1 wrote:Do you have to use the software for it MM? And what's the battery life like?
I use Windows Media Player to put music on it. The battery seems to last forever, it charges when you have it plugged in via USB.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I'm not buynig an iPod because I want an FM tuner and I hate itunes.
Testify!
lol @ misguided apple love.

AFAIK virtually all the iRivers have drag and drop/hd styles, voice recording and fm tuner. There are a couple of (unfortunately uglier than the zen) smaller models than the 40gb mentioned in this thread.
Commodore(as in c64) also has a 1GB player out, dunno anything bout it but I just think its nifty they are releasing products under the commodore name with the c64 logo.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

the problem i have with mobile phones as mp3 players is the headphone sockets. Do they have the normal headphone jacks or are they their own gay one where you have to buy their own, shitty headphones?

Cos that's a pretty friggen big issue.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

I am loving my Zen Vision:M

The only piss me off thing is that you can only recharge it via USB... and I can't install the software at work... so I'm stuffed if it goes flat until I get home.

But anyway... a good resource for true-believers...

http://www.anythingbutipod.com
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I got the 4gb Zen V+ last night for $270, and it's awesome. I didn't need to use the software to put files on it which was good. However coming from a player that listed my albums/files in a normal directory structure I'm tearing out my hair trying to find tracks since I can only list them by artist/album/genre etc. I'll need to get some playlists set up I think.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Madmya wrote:the problem i have with mobile phones as mp3 players is the headphone sockets. Do they have the normal headphone jacks or are they their own gay one where you have to buy their own, shitty headphones?

Cos that's a pretty friggen big issue.
There are lots of adapters you can find now that converts the mobile phone headset socket into a standard 3.5mm headphone connector.

For example.

Currently i'm just using the default headphones that come with k750, i find they're pretty decent and the handfree comes in handy for making/receiving calls while I'm on the train listening to music.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Or to take lestat's idea one step further

3.5mm socket and you still get access to a remote.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

lol @ misguided apple love
well what's a better way of quickly going through a list as long as your arm on a portable device? buttons?

intuitive acceleration = speed *and* accuracy
Last edited by selfish on 08 Nov 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

pilonv1 wrote:I got the 4gb Zen V+ last night for $270, and it's awesome. I didn't need to use the software to put files on it which was good. However coming from a player that listed my albums/files in a normal directory structure I'm tearing out my hair trying to find tracks since I can only list them by artist/album/genre etc. I'll need to get some playlists set up I think.
Do your MP3s not have ID3 tags or something?
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

i concur
as far as i can tell, people's primary objection to itunes is that it relies on your music collection being organised i.e. properly tagged
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

mech wrote:Do your MP3s not have ID3 tags or something?
They do but a lot of them are named differently, and for some reason certain ones aren't coming up under the right tags. I'll sort it out on the weekend when I get some time.
mech

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:i concur
as far as i can tell, people's primary objection to itunes is that it relies on your music collection being organised i.e. properly tagged
I know...

Never been a problem for me, but I don't pirate nearly as much music as most people :D