New South Welshman Skiiers - I Need Your Help!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

New South Welshman Skiiers - I Need Your Help!

Post by Talez »

So anyway,

I'm thinking about taking a friend to the snow this year and I was thinking of going to the NSW highlands since WA gets snow only once every 50 years in some random square kilometre. Currently looking at heading to Thredbo for about a week, maybe two. Basically we won't have any transportation (or at least its not on the cards) and it seems like the town is fairly small so this hopefully won't be a problem.

My questions are this:

* Where is a good place to stay?
* What is the earliest you could go and still expect there to be some snow and decent cover
* Anybody know anyone who deals specifically with this sort of stuff that can get 4.5 star accomidation reasonably cheap
* Anybody know if there are any other ski towns that can be reached by train instead of coach?
* Anyone stayed somewhere that was particularly nice and reasonably priced?
* How much are things like lift passes, ski/snowboard hire
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

I have been to the snow in NSW 3 times. Twice to Thredbo and once to Perisher. In my opinion Thredbo>Perisher, although Perisher is alot bigger I think.

Your best bet would probly to stay at some accomodation at Thredbo or Perisher, Im pretty sure they have a range of accomodation right up to 5 star. I know perisher has a train, not sure if Thredbo does.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Go to Hotham, teh awesome. VIC FTW.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: New South Welshman Skiiers - I Need Your Help!

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Talez wrote:* Where is a good place to stay?
* What is the earliest you could go and still expect there to be some snow and decent cover
* Anybody know anyone who deals specifically with this sort of stuff that can get 4.5 star accomidation reasonably cheap
* Anybody know if there are any other ski towns that can be reached by train instead of coach?
* Anyone stayed somewhere that was particularly nice and reasonably priced?
* How much are things like lift passes, ski/snowboard hire
1. Anywhere but Jindabyne.
2. I wouldn't go any earlier than the last two weeks of the pre-peak shoulder, or later than the first two weeks of the post-peak shoulder. You can really save some cash getting in the two weeks either side of the peak, and can get some awesome snow. If you're not really worried about cash, just book during peak.
3. ? But http://www.ski.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the best online Aussie snow community.
4. Train? wtf? There is the tube that runs from the carpark up to Perisher and Bluecow. I don't know about trains that actually go there without getting a bus...
5. Smiggins Chalet Apartments is probably the best on-snow accomodation I've stayed at. http://www.ski.com.au/smigginschalet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Self catering tho. If you're ok with that, you can save heaps more money on food.
6. Haven't been for a long time, but it was about $300-$500 for a weeks lift pass and another few hundred for all the gear (board and jacket/pants and crap).

Between my wife and myself, we've been to every ski resort in Australia except Chalottes Pass (yes - we've even been to Selwyn), and we'd never, ever go back to anywhere except Perisher (best in NSW) or Falls Creek (best in Vic).

Seriously, you can get some great info here: http://www.ski.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the folks on their boards are usually very friendly and helpfull to newbies.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

mech wrote:Go to Hotham, teh awesome. VIC FTW.
Not if you are a beginner it's probably not the best.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Personally, I think the Wombats Ramble at Falls Creek is the best, longest, and widest beginners green trail in Australia. No steep bits at all, not like Burke St at Buller or Front Valley at Perisher.
Smiggins is awesome for beginners though.

The beauty of Perisher is that you get all four resorts for the price of one. Perisher/Smiggins/Guthega/BlueCow.

Talez, if you're looking for some nightlife aswell, Smiggins is probably not a good choice for accomodation.

If you're completely new, make sure you do take a lesson or two early in your holiday aswell. Once you get the basics down (ski or board), you can go off and do your own and enjoy yourself.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Hey twiztid who are you on moosh?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I don't post there. My wife does - or used to anyway.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Yeah. I've been thinking about how much everything is going to cost too.

I've been thinking of going in the shoulder and I think the 2 weeks before the peak season might end up being a good idea price wise.

At the moment its about a grand for two weeks each for the accom and another grand and a bit for the passes and gear. If I end up having to pay for my friend because they can't rack up the dough I might have a problem though.

Is this Smiggins place any cheaper than a grand a week on the shoulder for a decent place?