Black Mirror

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Black Mirror

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Meh to putting this in the TV Shows thread. This show deserves its own thread.

Season 1 and 2 were UK Channel 4, and season 3 is an Original Netflix show, but they're all on Netflix. Absolutely worth blowing a 'free month' of Netflix on this if you don't already have it.
Essentially Twilight Zone mixed with modern technology.
Up there with Game of Thrones and The Office (US) as one of my all time favourites.

Top tier episodes:
The Entire History of You
White Bear
White Christmas
Shut Up and Dance
Hated in the Nation

Good tier:
Fifteen Million Merits
Be Right Back
Nosedive
Playtest
Men Against Fire

OK tier:
The National Anthem
The Waldo Moment
San Junipero
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: Black Mirror

Post by Madmya »

Well, I forgot you had a list of better episodes so just watched the first one, The National Anthem, and thought it was just some sick depraived person getting their shit idea on a TV screen. I'm annoyed that someone thought this would be a good pilot. Fuck me.

Wish I watched a different episode.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, I thought that first episode was contrived and over the top. It's like they intentionally went out of their way to be as controversial as possible to generate buzz for the show, and that episode suffers because of it. Having said that, although the show never really goes back there, pretty much every episode is challenging and will leave you thinking and uncomfortable.
Spoiler!
Two points about that episode itself.
1) It was no surprise to me that when the event happened, the public were disgusted with themselves for watching it. I don't believe that everyone would watch it. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have. I would have said 'fuck that I'm not watching that.' and would have encouraged people to not watch it.
2) Me being me, I don't really buy into the moral dilemma. Do something disgusting and shameful to save a young woman's life? It's not even something to consider. If it was me, it's done already. (Although getting it up in that situation might be a challenge - lol). It was no surprise that his popularity skyrocketed afterwards.
Actually, come to think of it, there are a couple of episodes through the show that are what I consider to be flawed in the storyline or delivery, or the science/technology is falsified in order to sell a point. I'll have to think which episodes they are.
Spoiler!
For instance, the very last episode (which is one of my favourites) is about Bees and Colony Collapse Disorder, but in reality, scientists now now the cause on CCD and it's being resolved.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Added this to my watch list, will make sure I skip the pilot episode till later, that is assuming it's not part of an overall plotline and won't affect my enjoyment.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

It's not necessary to watch every episode in order. Each episode is a stand alone story in it's own right.

However, someone on GAF said that there is tonal development as the series progresses, and there are nods back and minor easter eggs to previous episodes. I do agree with this. It is not game breaking, it won't spoil the 'enjoyment' or spoiler anything, but it is something to consider when deciding to jump around on the episodes.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I just don't want to put the missus off with the first episode if it's not that good. She nearly gave up on Stranger Things after 20 mins cos the kids were playing Dungeons & Dragons. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's not that it's bad TV tomby, I just found that episode offensive and in poor taste. I don't enjoy feeling uncomfortable whilst watching TV shows or movies regardless of whether it's actually good or not (e.g. I stopped watching Breaking Bad purely because I didn't enjoy constantly following the stories of shit people). But I would start on a different episode regardless, may as well give yourselves the best chance possible of liking it.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Oh I know, it wasn't for my taste, but because me and the missis try and watch something together in the evening, because she goes to bed early a movie is out of the question unless you split it over 3 nights (and that's for a 90 min film! :lol:). She loved First season of True Detective (haven't tried the second), Stranger Things and Deadwood, thought shed enjoy a show with twists.

Tonight we watched "The Memory of You" and liked that but went to bed during "White Bear", nek minute the twist was there. I admit, it was a weird episode, although I did roughly pick the ending within 10 mins of it starting, well good enough.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I randomly found my partner watching this today. She told me not to watch the first episode. :|
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

:lol:
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

I've watched the first few eps... It certainly didn't deserve it's own thread.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I agree. I've watched it and thought it was mediocre. Gave up by season 2. 15 million credits was ok...ish.