NRL 2K17 - Boncos star on drug charges

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Re: NRL 2K17 - The Green Empire Strikes Back

Post by jizzlobber »

if the dragons pay that much for Hunt they are fucking crazy!
they are already overpaying widdop, he's shit
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Any team who signs Hunt, any team, is a collective pack of retards.

He is indeed damaged goods and I hope he stays right where he is.

It's about now where i'd be yelling about my own team even giving Dave Taylor a shot, but Ricky's track record at rehabilitating players since he took over at the Raiders has been pretty fucken good so he gets benefit of the doubt.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

As for Mullen, not surprised. He probably got on the gear to help with him getting injured every 10 minutes.

The guy came into the league like Braith Anasta - the next *insert great player here* - and never lived up to it.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Yeah my first thought is Mullen must be on something to help his recovery. Injuries destroyed his career. Has he played more than 10 consecutive games without injury? I swear he starts and finishes off every season on the injured list.

Will be a great thing for Knights. Hes on big money and hasnt ever delivered for them.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Brisbane Broncos halfback Ben Hunt is set to join St George Illawarra Dragons

MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
January 20, 2017 2:20pm

THE Broncos have lost the battle to keep Ben Hunt, with the Dragons trumping Brisbane with a massive $6 million deal for five years, with a one-year option.

Brisbane simply could not match the Dragons deal, and Hunt reportedly told the Broncos on Friday he would be heading to Sydney at the end of the season.

With a galaxy of stars to appease under the salary cap, the Broncos’ hands were tied in a bidding war against St George Illawarra, who are desperate to attract some high-profile playing talent after a couple of poor seasons.

Representative players Josh Dugan and Tyson Frizell are the Dragons’ two highest-profile players, and coach Paul McGregor had been banking on young halfback Drew Hutchison to lead a revival this season by joining Gareth Widdop in the halves.

But Hutchison tore his ACL in pre-season training, ruling him out for the year, leaving the Dragons light on for play-makers after Benji Marshall departed for the Broncos this season.

Hunt will not arrive in time to rescue their 2017, but Dragons officials believe he is the man to build the club’s future around and were prepared to pay him as their marquee star.

Brisbane simply could afford to do that, with big-name stars Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Corey Oates and Adam Blair all free agents at the end of the year.

The Broncos see Milford as their main man after two stellar seasons as the club’s five-eighth, and his terrific form will demand a pay upgrade to keep potential poachers at bay.

Hunt’s imminent departure will place enormous pressure on Brisbane’s depth in the halves, and potentially put them on course for a tug of war with the Gold Coast over the Titans’ pair of young halves, Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey.

Taylor was released early from his Broncos contract at the end of 2015 so he could chase an NRL opportunity with the Titans — ironically because Hunt and Milford stood in his way at Brisbane.

An injury to Elgey meant Taylor had to be thrown into the spotlight last season, and he excelled — winning the Dally M Rookie of the Year award and leading Gold Coast to their first finals appearance since 2010. Taylor extended his contract late last season, tying him to the Titans until the end of 2018.

Although he missed all of last season, Elgey had a similar breakthrough year in 2015, and the Titans held off a poaching bid from Manly to keep him at Robina until the end of 2018.

That leaves Brisbane with the prospect of going into 2018 without a recognised halfback to partner Milford.

Hunt was honest about his future at Brisbane before Christmas, saying he would test his value on the open market. He also admitted he was in no rush to sign a new deal with the Broncos as he confronts the most important contract of his career.

“You have to look around,” Hunt said. “I have to make the best decision for myself and my family.

“I love the club and the Broncos have been really good to me. If this is where I am in the future, then that’s it, but I’m going to take my time this time and make the best decision for my family.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 24df68cbea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Gus said... he's not worth that much. But if you're desperate then it's what you have to pay.

I honestly think he's worth $600k a season at most. Even then I think you would need to be desperate to want him. But $6m over 5 years... he's earning twice what he's worth.

More than half the teams in the competition would have 3 of their spine players on close to that combined. Hunt is a solid player... but that money is the money the games best shpuld be getting. That's what you throw at a Joey, Lockyer, Thurston or a Smith. This signing is the equivalent of Eels signing Sandow.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Dragons sign Ben Hunt

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the signing of halfback Ben Hunt, who will join the club in 2018 on a five-year deal following today's completion of all official documentation.

The Australian Test representative, Hunt, 26, will join the Dragons from the Brisbane Broncos at the completion of the upcoming NRL season.

A former Dally M under-20s Player of the Year, Hunt has played 166 NRL games to date since his 2009 debut.

St George Illawarra Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said Hunt's signature was crucial for the Red V moving forward.

"We were looking for a really competent, world-class halfback. It was about signing someone who has been a regular halfback and who has played at the highest level," Millward said.

"Ben's also a good family man and quite composed as a person. The Red V fans should be over the moon."
http://www.nrl.com/dragons-sign-ben-hun ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently Broncos offered him a 3 year deal but he knocked them back... and madmya was poking fun at Panthers for missing out on a player they never wanted. :laugh:

Although in all honesty the losers in this one are the Dragons. A 5 year / $6 million contract supposedly. No way is Ben Hunt worth more then 10% of the salary cap. The only players in the NRL worth that are Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Johnathon Thurston. Although at their current ages they would only be worth that for 2 seasons at most.

Wonder what they would have been willing to pay if he didn't cost his team a premiership in 2015. :shock:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:

What a waste of money.

This is also great news for the Boncos, who are now free to chase after more talent from other clubs like they usually do.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

mxlegend99 wrote: As Gus said... he's not worth that much. But if you're desperate then it's what you have to pay.
Funny how you took that as meaning the Panthers didn't want him when as you've described right there, it doesn't mean anything of the sort. Panthers did make an offer, just not to the extent as the Dragons which I think no one in the world could/would match. Well, I'm sure a European club would and could.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Madmya wrote:
mxlegend99 wrote: As Gus said... he's not worth that much. But if you're desperate then it's what you have to pay.
Funny how you took that as meaning the Panthers didn't want him when as you've described right there, it doesn't mean anything of the sort. Panthers did make an offer, just not to the extent as the Dragons which I think no one in the world could/would match. Well, I'm sure a European club would and could.
You're talking as much shit as the media do. They had nothing to backup their claims... but there's alot ohat suggests they are wrong. Including Gus and the Panthers flat out denying any interest. Panthers didn't make an offer and couldn't have made one. They don't have the cap space or roster spots available.

Our top 25 for 2018 only has 4 off contract players. The highest earning player is Dean Whare... and his contract was signed well and truly before he was an established NRL centre.

Player, year off contract:
1. Matt Moylan - 2021
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - 2017
3. Waqa Blake - 2019
4. Tyrone Peachey - 2019
5. Josh Mansour - 2018
6. Te Maire Martin - 2018
7. Nathan Cleary - 2019
8. James Tamou - 2020
9. Peter Wallace - 2018
10. Leilani Latu - 2020
11. Bryce Cartwright - 2021
12. Isaah Yeo - 2019
13. Trent Merrin - 2020

14. Reegan Campbell-Gillard - 2019
15. Tim Browne - 2019
16. James Fisher-Harris - 2019
17. Mitch Rein - 2018

18. Moses Leota - 2019
19. Sam McKendry - 2019
20. Peta Hiku - 2018
21. Dylan Edwards - 2018
22. Tyrone May - 2018
23. Dean Whare - 2017
24. Sitaleki Akauolo - 2017
25. Villiame Kikau - 2017

Even if we let all 4 players leave. Akouolo and Kikau are on minimum wage contracts and would need to be replaced by guys on the same money or more. They can't free up an cap space.

There's simply no cap space to target big name players in any position. Any spare cash we have needs to go towards upgrading our current players. We have a lot of players earning less than they could get if they were on the market today.
Gus likes to get in early and upgrade players contracts before they expire to keep the players happy and have them willing to commit long term to the club. The only changes to the Panthers roster in the next 3 seasons will be the fringe players in our top 25.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

This is a fucking retarded argument.

Penrith should be glad he's not there.

Brisbane should be elated he's leaving and secretly wish he left at half-time of the 2015 Grand Final.

St George fans should be reaching for a gun because their team has fucked themselves.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

You'd have to offload a player *cough* TMM *cough*.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Madmya wrote:You'd have to offload a player *cough* TMM *cough*.
That might be how the Broncos salary cap works. But normal clubs need to shed players just to upgrade and keep their best players. Players values go up with experience and development for the majority of their careers. Until they play on a year too long that is.

Offloading a minimum wage player doesnt free up cap space either. Every club must have 25 players on a minimum wage of $85k. Te Maire Martin was signed straight from Under 20s on a minimum wage NRL contract.

Well obviously at the Broncos things work differently. The salary cap isn't an issue for them other than setting the minimum they need to pay players.

Korbin Sims just quit a $400k contract to sign an $85k one at Broncos.
James Roberts passed up $450k a season at Dragons to play for $200k at Broncos. He was on more than that at Titans.
Benji Marshall rejected a $350k contract at Dragons as he felt he was worth more... signs a minimum wage contract at Broncos.
David Mead wanted to be fullback and get a big payrise so he knocked Titans back... signs for minimum wage at a club where Inglis couldnt even get the #1 jersey.

You know Dragons offered too much when Broncos couldn't match them.
Last edited by mxlegend99 on 26 Jan 2017 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Candy Arse wrote:This is a fucking retarded argument.

Penrith should be glad he's not there.

Brisbane should be elated he's leaving and secretly wish he left at half-time of the 2015 Grand Final.

St George fans should be reaching for a gun because their team has fucked themselves.
Im glad we didnt get him. I genuinely believe that Nathan Cleary will be a better halfback in 2018 and he will be costing a quarter of what Ben Hunt is earning.

Although I would like to see Hunt turn Dragons into a top 8 side at the expense of Broncos.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I'm disappointed Hunt left, but good on him. With those dollars I don't blame him at all. He's a sneaky good player who will get better. He's definitely not worth those dollars though, the Dragons are a desperate and poorly run club. Signing Hunt won't make players want to go there.

But I too want to see him succeed, mx. I'm not a sadistic cunt. I just wonder what the Broncos will do.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

mxlegend99 wrote:Well obviously at the Broncos things work differently. The salary cap isn't an issue for them other than setting the minimum they need to pay players.
We are the true Empire, Candy. I wish everytime we ran onto the field it was to the Star Wars Empire theme.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

mxlegend99 wrote: Well obviously at the Broncos things work differently. The salary cap isn't an issue for them other than setting the minimum they need to pay players.
Ain't this the truth :lol:

Here's what the Broncos will do - what they always do, which is poach a player that another club has developed, pay them oodles of cash because they ignore the salary cap each year and enjoy a friendly Friday night schedule in 2017 on their way to a painful loss in the finals.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I get the feeling Candy is talking about, and only about, Milford. We can't help he wants to play for a big time club instead of some minnow battlin' for scraps.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Milford? Never heard of her. We've got the best 5/8 in the league and that bitch Milford can take in the view as the Raiders, once again, dominate the NRL.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Madmya wrote:I'm disappointed Hunt left, but good on him. With those dollars I don't blame him at all. He's a sneaky good player who will get better. He's definitely not worth those dollars though, the Dragons are a desperate and poorly run club. Signing Hunt won't make players want to go there.

But I too want to see him succeed, mx. I'm not a sadistic cunt. I just wonder what the Broncos will do.
I never blame a player when they do what any sane person would do.

Especially when you're nowhere bear one of the games best players yet are getting a better contract then Thurston ever did.

To me the only blokes worth that are the guys who could have 16 fringe first graders thrown beside them and still turn them into a competitive team. Guys like Andrew Johns, Johnathon Thurston... and Darren Lockyer possibly. Hard to say really, he only ever played in sides full of rep players.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Agreed. Hunt is used to playing for a team with heaps of big name players and no regard for the salary cap, now he basically IS the salary cap on a team that abides by it and he'll have complete dregs all around him :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Milford?
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Hunt will be just fine... his $6million will ease the pain of not playing finals football any longer.

I fear what other players will think they're worth now though. Between Ben Hunt and Kalyn Ponga... they have both signed contracts that are fucking ridiculous considering their talent, experience and standing in the game. If every player that is similar in quality to them holds out for similar money, teams just aren't going to be able to keep them.

The thing that bothers me most is that Ben Hunt isn't even a match winner. He is terrible under pressure and I just feel like a million dollar player should be that bloke who is clutch under pressure and kicks that field goal. Not a bloke who has never kicked a field goal and doesn't seem to know what to do to win a tight game.

Anthony Milford is that player for the Broncos. He might go to another level entirely if he has a halfback who is better under pressure... that's actually scary from another teams perspective. Panthers beat Broncos twice by field goals in the last 2 years... throw in a halfback who can kick them and maybe the result goes the other way.

It's a pretty important skill for a halfback to have IMO. It can be the most important play of a game. Broncos should sign Trent Hodkinson. He is an average player, but put him in that Broncos team and let him do the basics well and you have a halfback that doesn't choke under pressure and can kick a field goal. Just make sure he knows that Milford is the man... and he is just there not to get in his way.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Madmya wrote:Milford?
Funny you post that while I was replying to Candy. For mine he is the bloke at Broncos worth $1m if anyone is.

He has proven himself to be a match winner under pressure in a tight game more often than not. No player is always perfect. But if the scores were locked, Milford is the bloke I would want on the field.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Some guy scoring against Newcastle - awesome.

I'm quite happy with the guy we have at 5/8. Milford can enjoy being the next Blake Ferguson who leaves the team that developed him to win a premiership but actually wins fuck-all while his original team lifts the trophy :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

In closing - fuck Milford, go Raiders.