4G/5G wireless internet questions

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

4G/5G wireless internet questions

Post by BOOMY »

I'm hoping one of you clowns works at a telco or something, I such a noob :lol: I recently got myself an huawei E5786 as my shared housing situation has become unmanageable for online gaming. It gives me 30-75MBPS(its meant to max at 300MBPS assuming the signal is good enough and there is no traffic near by) which is miles ahead of the ADSL I was using before. It uses that fancy fast 4g they call 5g even though its still 4g.
I have questions.
1. Sometimes I will get a weird spike of lag that lasts for about 1 or 2 rounds of street fighter. Is this because someone else in my house is using their phone for 4g or something and it is interfering or just apart of this kind of connection?
2. I was able to play against someone in canada and someone else in china yesterday. The connection was stronger than it is with some people in Melbourne. Explain this madness? Was the chinese/canadian player connecting to the same satelite as me via the same method? Did they just have super fast inernet? Does the internet in melbourne just suck? *
3. I bought myself a cheap $25 antennae for it, it claims to have a 35DBi boost to the signal. (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/35dBi-3G-4G- ... SwOVpXV8ow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) When using the antennae the signal is 10-20 MBPS SLOWER, I haven't yet discovered if it more stable but I still get the lag spikes unless I turn my game matching to 5 bar connections only. My setup is not close enough to the window that I can have it properly mounted up against the window in a vertical orientation. *when I got the good connection to the chinese/canadian I had the antennae connected if that info helps your diagnosis.
3a. Is the poorer download/upload speed due to it being a shit aerial and I should just spend more money on one? Trying to determine if this is as good as it will get
3b. How about buying a usb extension cable to get it mounted up high on the window, would that help?
4. How does this type of internet truly compare, because I know my speed test reports better numbers but on an actual user experience it seems to flip flop from 10 times faster to 10 times slower. For example, the webpage might take a lot longer to send the request but once it starts moving the data it loads up faster (yet overall much slower due to the delay prior). I'd love a solution to get this thing as fast as it can be and I'll happily accept it how it is but I just want to know why it does what it does so I'm not working blind.

Come on games ranch brain trust, I know one of you has my answers ;)
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: 4G/5G wireless internet questions

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Online gaming via wireless internet is a big fat nope from me.
You will never get a consistent ping.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Trust me if I had an alternative I would be using it. I share the main line with too many idiots to go another way.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

You're left with playing Hearthstone then. It's not that bad.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Dunno where you got that from. Last night got SFV working more reliably than on ADSL without a single lag spike. 5 bar only match making settings were required. Just looking for answers to my questions.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Purchase the new Nighthawk.
https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mo ... ghthawk-m1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're $380 outright.
With typical speeds of 5-300Mbps in 4GX coverage areas, the Nighthawk® M1 brings us one step closer to 5G and paves the way for a new breed of mobile apps and experiences.