Transformers Toys

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Transformers Toys

Post by GameHED »

Thought I would make a whole new thread devoted to TF toys because I don't think it is appropriate to call them mechs given they are living entities with bodies that are electromechanical. Plus given how large the fansbase is for TF with many dedicated websites on news about new toys and reviews about them on youtube, I think it is big enough to have its own thread to be honest. (a lot of this has to do with the fact that the michael bay movies helped raise the profile a little bit of the toyline for newer generations but whatever)

Anyway as the first post I thought I would post review (peugh) of the new Megatron Materpiece ver.2
I am very impressed here of how toon accurate the mold is and it is good to see they fixed the issue with the older Masterpiece Megs tiny legs which looked like crap even for the time it was released.

I salute you HasTak. This is 10 out of 10.

It's impressive enough that it has gotten me back into collecting the MP stuff again. (I occasionally buy the retail stuff though because it has gotten better each time)
With this release done and getting great reviews I hope they revisit Optimus Prime again and see if they can do a version 3 Masterpiece Prime. I sold off my Masterpiece Starscream so I have space for another high detail figure to display.

In future however, do not paint stuff if you can mold the plastic to get the needed colour. Very important so the toys don't get paint chips.

Anyway It's an amazing time to be a G1 fan. Fuck michael Bay's movies. Fuck humans. And for goodness sake put armour on those naked robot bodies you dumb american designers. We shouldn't have to see their internal organs hanging out like that. Save those for zombie transformer race or something haha

As for Titans Returns line all I have to say is....
And I was impressed with Combiner Wars shit. Still have Combiner Wars Megatron displayed on shelf. (I always preferred him as the Tank rather than the Pistol)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: Transformers Toys

Post by Froggy »

Yeah Titans return have been a good series, haven't bought any though haven't been able to find any I want locally for a good price. Collecting most Masterpieces and any encores of G1 that I am missing or want but haven't had anything in a while.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Recently bought Titans Returns Sixshot. A very G1 accurate toy for those who wanted an updated version of the guy.

In the japanese headmasters show he is the ninja robot that is base commander for Trypticon. Never got a chance to buy him as a kid but the TR version is basically a improvement over the original G1 edition but with the head master gimmick added. However the beauty of that is they let you completely ignore the head gimmick. (obviously they knew older g1 fans would be getting it for the g1 homage more than for the story in the comic or whatever the current toy is based off of. (smart move - they know the power of nostalgia)
older g1 toy review:
tribute to sixshot:
he can adapt to any situation with all the modes he has making all the other decepticons pretty much obsolete imo (note that each mode is practical and not really about just disguising yourself but killing people in creative ways which is why I like him so much. He is basically the opposite of soundwave who just follows orders with no original idea of his own :P )

...and lets not forget how he owns ultra magnus (noticed that nobody gave a shit when he died in the g1 animated movie but they did for Optimus Prime lol)
Yeah fuck you ultra magnus. You need Hotrod to do all the bloody leading because you are to incompetent to do it yourself lol you're just a dumb generic cannon fodder soldier who doesn't want any responsibility and expects everyone else to lead. No wonder you fucking lost! Plus you are so scared to get hit that you have to put on so much fucking armor all over your body which limits your speed and agility while Prime could beat up decepticons naked while in mid air. :P Take the trailer off chickenshit and then maybe you can avoid getting hit once in a while.. They could have given him a more *heroic death than just standing there but nooo he looks so incompetent.

*Armada Starscream (AKA badass version of starscream where he has some self respect) comes to mind:
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

This has to be the year of "Megatron not being shit" because the Voyager sized Movie megatron looks badarse:
Better than the leader version of this guy. Also good to see they are going back to making toys with lots of steps to transform them)

Looked at the other figures and they look like crap.
The last movie had a decent optimus prime (the engineering on the skinny optimus prime was great)

Never thought I would care about any of the Last Knight figures but this guy looks as good as non-movie stuff. (ie not a mess of junk pieces scrunched together by the Junkions during a cyclone and an earthquake going on at the same time while the blueprints were held upside down)

They've finally gotten over their spindly robot phase and making serious-looking characters people can identify with. (the whole lego bionicles look of movie toys was a real turn-off for me.) Star Fighter mode looks pretty cool too. Although I have always thought of Megatron as the Tank because of the heavy firepower and tough exterior of his stats. (star scream is the speedy guy always avoiding danger anytime he can for survival)

Only other figure that doesn't look too shit: (big Skylinx vibe from this guy)
Ad for the figures:
I love it. Sounds like they all went off to war to die and we must remember their heroic patriotic sacrifices to save earth. Why can't all toy commercials be like that? They should hire some war veterens to narrate the story of how they were there when optimus saved them from alien raid on a military facility to obtain the last energon supplies and the emotions of all the soldiers when they realised they could die any second if not for the transformers helping them flee in time before the roof collapsed on all the unlucky people that got crushed when grimlock had to smash the decepticons with a final desperate attack to prevent them accessing it. The autobots were not perfect heroes and got many humans killed from accidentally stepping on them, but as giant robots they had fulfilled an important duty to protect the last surviving important ones who wouldn't be alive to tell the story if that robot hadn't been there in time to rescue them. *camera zooms into the old man's face as tear runs down his cheek as he relives the horrorifc experience of robots dying to save him and his powerless buddies* "I hope violent alien robots are never forgotten and that kids learn to respect the dead robots who hid amoung us so they too will hide from danger when giant robots invade in future wars so they can call for help instead of trying to kill them all by themselves with primitive shitty human guns and waste their life like we tried to in the old days. When you see danger...fucking run ! Stop shoting them. They only get angry and squish the shit out of you like pathetic insects and laugh. Just let the autobots do all the work if you want earth to be safe."
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I can't do the movie lines, I hate what Bay has made them look like and the toy lines have a real cheap look and feel, compare the TF5 movie lines with the Titans return ones, there's a big difference in the quality.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Found TLK Hound today. The voyagers seem to be priced at normal price but they've upped the cost of Deluxe size transformers to $40 at Toys 'r Us. Is it because they seem to be doing a better job of paint application (ie instead of using stickers and expecting you to place them?)

review here:
The engineering on hound is ingenious on the feet. This once seem to have the same attention to detail in trasnformation complexity as the optimus prime voyager from Age of Extinction. (whcih I loved because it is so damn compact. Some may not have liked the overall look of Prime in robot mode because he seems so spindly but the engineering in the transformation was very well thought out)

One thing I do not like are the "shell"-former types of transformers figures because it reeks of laziness. True transformers to me are where the robot = the vehicle parts actually becoming the robot's actual body by reforming in position to get the robot mode. Not a robot's skeleton hiding in a vehicle shell that is just the skin of a vehicle/monster/alt mode itself wrapped around the robot skeleton posed in a stupid fetal position.

Yes visually the bayformer toys look ugly, but it seems a few of the toys that don't appear in the movie actually get the usual treatment and can be as good as the non-movie designs. I think I read in a comment section that voyager class Hound (who really should be called bulkhead imo) is a retool of Fall of Cybertron deluxe size Onslaught.

Hound has wrist swivel, waist swivel, and ankle pivot. Not bad for a fatty. lol

Picked him up at Aspley HyperMarket for those in Brisbane and who are looking for him. (only two at the time I went there which was today. Was trying to find voyager Megatron. I like the fantasy style axe-sword combo weapon. Reminds me of the weapons the Uruk-kai were using in the Lord of the Rings movie.

Also spotted Titans Return Trypticon too. Would love to get those bigger base transformers if I had the space.

Recently got Titan's Return Perceptor and Kup at big w chermside. These were the last of the lot. :( On the bright side I now see dozens of Triggerhappy everywhere which I think is the best in the deluxe Titan's Return line. He's got GERWALK mode and GERWALK 1.5 mode. How can you not like this guy. And Perceptor has a secret tank/artillery cannon mode. If you see them you should definitely get them.
Still haven't seen any Voyager Blitzwing from Titans Returns. (only Megatron which is just Blitzwing with megatron head and different turret)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Fuck the chinese knockoff of Megatron looks bloody good.

What it is is an oversized version of the Voyager version of Megatron. Most people can agree that the voyager megatron has better body proportions than the leader class version. What this toy does is just enlarge the Voyager sized toy for those who want a bigger voyager. Pretty cool.
I don't support knockoff toys generally but if you really like that mold this one is the one Hasbro should have made as the true leader class over the current leader class one we actually got with the oversized arm cannon. Hasbro should do a poll that asks fans whether they would like to see a new Leader Class Megatron with a voyager body proportions and small arm cannon. I think the Voyager Megatron looks better in robot mode. This will help people who care about the original company getting the $ instead of buying the knock off. Having said that the knock off has the positive effect of forcing the original company to do BETTER and care about what fans want by introducing competition. If I were a poor chinese kid I would have no problem buying the knock off. At the end of the day collectors aren't going to care who gets the money they will just buy the toy because it's the best version. So hasbro-takara should seriously think of making one that is better than this oversized version. Don't do diecast just give us smaller boxes to save money.