The Anime Thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

So I've been watching a bit of anime lately. Solty Rei is my current fave- lots of throwbacks to Astro Boy, likeable characters, occasional severity and just the right amount of anime stupidity (a little but not much).

Afro Samurai- slick production but it just wasn't that interesting to watch. Can't see myself ever going back to it.

Black Cat- Only watched the first couple of episodes so far, it seems pretty cool. The whole limited-ability-to-see-the-future thing is always good.

Coyote Ragtime Show- The blonde investigator is pretty annoying, but otherwise I've enjoyed the three or four episodes I've watched. Nice and short, I think it's twelve episodes in total.

Ergo Proxy is up next. Oh, and I tried to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya... I'd read SJs warning about the weirdness of the first episode, and I thought it was ok (could have stood to be half as long), but the first "proper" episode didn't impress me at all. I plan on watching the rest of the disc, but yeah, it's not off to a good start in my eyes. I usually like the first couple of episodes of any anime show more than the rest of the series too, which is a worry.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I caught an ep of Ergo Proxy on ABC2 one night, and it seemed pretty cool. But then I saw a bit of another ep and they didn't seem to have anything in common and I was very confused. But it looked pretty...
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Yeah that's about where I'm at with it. I've seen what I assume is the first episode. It could still go either way, but I hope it's good because I really like the look of it.
van

Post by van »

Just bought the complete Lupin III tv series for 60 bucks :D

Disc Format: 6-DVD Boxset
Region Code: All Region
Episodes: 1 - 155 End
Audio Track: Japanese
Subtitles: English/Chinese On/Off
van

Post by van »

And now for Macross.

There's a new series. News of its coming has been around for a while now, with various images rearing their heads online, but the first episode was aired in a bit of a surprise moment in Japan, and subsequently subtitled by the fansubbers and put up on the torrents.

It's amazing. A little Gundam-like in its focus on child/teen characters (though Macross 7 did that as well - I guess I'm just to in love with Macross Plus to think about it), but that's not to be considered a flaw in my opinion. They've done it all so very well. Or at least, from what I can tell. It's only the first episode, after all. But the animation is phenomenal!

Unlike Macross Zero, it's a direct sequel to the ongoing linear Macross storyline, taking place after Macross 7 (which takes place after Macross Plus, and features both the YF/VF-25 and the YF/VF-19 seen testing in Macross Plus). While Macross Zero was great in its way, this will get things back on track! That said, there appears to be virtually no connection to the specific events of Macross 7, beyond they simply having happened in the same general timeline (though X amount of years removed).

Here's the torrent for the first episode, subtitled (grab the Shinsen one): http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1147.html

Here's a discussion thread at Macross World:
http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24559

Here's a discussion thread at Anime Nation:
http://www.animenation.net/forums/showt ... 569&page=5

Quoting a user at Anime Nation:
First episode of Macross Frontier is really good, much better than the first episode of Macross Zero. There's so much to discuss about this new episode, I don't know where to begin. The VF-171 is awesome, the VF-25 is even better if that's possible and the CG work is absolutely stunning! The characters are interesting and the story really hooks you in. I'm loving this new direction for Macross and hope that the other episodes live up to this first one. Wow! I can't believe that this show is a TELEVISION series. The animation is insane!

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Thanks Van. Was wondering what happened to the new macross series. Haen't been keeping up to date on the news about it. Please god, don't make this suck..

Actually I just watched the ADV dvd version of SDF: macross with the new american dub recently. The japanese VA for minmay does the voice for minmay in english but with a chinesey sounding version of english. It's really funny. Global is really gruff sounding and loud rather than calm and thinking to himself. Hikaru sounds like a 12 year old kid. heh

I know lots of purist macross fans will want to hang me for saying this but I actually like the old robotech VA for some of the characters more than these newer ADV ones..

Anyway glad to hear the animation for this new tv series is smooth. I want something at least like what we got from Eureka 7 with the crazy micromissile swarms. I gather in the future (plus and mac7 onwards) the yf19 which was once the top fighter must be a cannon fodder mech for the average pilots by this time?)

Will be downloading this ASAP..
van

Post by van »

I love Robotech, and I'd probably have a hard time getting used to any other version of it! A lot of my love for it is no doubt due to the fact I grew up with it, but nonetheless, Robotech is how I like it to be. I generally pretend in my mind that Robotech is the opening story in the whole Macross saga, and that every Macross story into the future is directly descended from Robotech. I know it isn't accurate, but that's how I like to see it all, haha.

I don't remember seeing either the VF-19 or the VF-22 (aka YF-19 and YF-21 if ya prefer :)) in Frontier, but the main valk does look awfully similar to the 19 when in jet mode, especially the front section of it. Not remotely similar in battroid mode though, and frankly not as cool looking, if you ask me!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The purists have issues with HG not giving credit to the original creators of macross in the credits of RT as well as the general confusion RT generally causes when mixing it with macross terminology. RT = the butchered bastard child of the three super dimension series and lives in a universe unique to itself (which isn't bad) while macross by itself is really just about the cool transforming jets. (macross imo was the best of the three - didn't much care for the characters in SC and mospeada as much) The HG rights issues are also causing grief for US fans of original SDF: macross because they can't seem to get the cool toys and merchandise (dvds books comics etc) until recently, due to HG wanting to block them from sale. (I think HG wants anyone outside japan to only recognise the RT universe, ignoring that there are fans of SDF:macross outside japan that much prefer it over RT and don't even know what RT is because they were exposed to macross first) Thanks to the net, it's easier to get access to them though.
I don't remember seeing either the VF-19 or the VF-22 (aka YF-19 and YF-21 if ya prefer Smile) in Frontier, but the main valk does look awfully similar to the 19 when in jet mode, especially the front section of it. Not remotely similar in battroid mode though, and frankly not as cool looking, if you ask me!
Technicallly the yf-19 and vf-19 are similar but actually different planes. VF-19 (the production fighter) sprang from the yf19 (experimental) seen in macross plus after general galaxy lost the competition. (brainwave controls are too dangerous and unstable)

By the time of macross 7 these vf-19s, and vf-17 were for the good pilots and vf-11 became the cannon fodder planes. (so I assumed for this series the vf-19 was going to be cannon fodder while the new one was for good pilots in similar fashion of "cannon fodder getting the hand-me-down")

You'll still see one or two VF-22/yf-21 in macross 7, however only the leet pilots like max, milia and gamlin have these. (and no brainwave controls in these versions because of the 'danger' issue)

Overall the VF-11 is my fave! Shitty battroid mode though :D (there will be a decent transforming toy of this coming soon along with yf-21)
It makes sense I guess that the planes look similar based on the company behind them so it looking like the yf/vf19 doesn't really bother me any more than the battroid mode of the yf-21 looking like the qrau due to the zentradi influence. (alien robots seems to be more rounded while humans prefer the boxy look)

Hopefully this series kinda gets a new generation of fan into macross as it's pretty much dead as a franchise. Gundam seems to get all the love (a new gundam, "00" series is just out) but imo it's not as good as macross, just milked more so that's why it's more popular.

I would love to see sega make a proper macross game for home console actually. I usually avoid Licensed games but if its decent and plays ok, I can accept. (were the robotech games any good? never tried them..)

EDIT:
Just watched it. Impressions:

Yep just as I imagined. It would look like macross zero but blended in better with the hand-drawn characters. The fights have that sense of speed that people liked in macross zero and the camera shifts with the actions as all kinds of fire and exposions are whizzing by and the pilot dodges it like in the 2d cartoon animation. (as opposed to realistic sim dogfights where impossible things can't happen) ie this leaves a lot of space open for fancy things like the Queadluun Rau zigzags and fancy missile swarm dodges you often see in the more traditional (non-cg) anime that people *missed.

*for example when ace pilots like max/milia/dyson go into a fight they are not restricted to just what is possible in the real world. Because cg gets us closer to realistic appearances of a plane there may be that pressure to try to lose that exaggerated cartoon movement which imo is not necessarily better. (the battroid fight in macross plus is one example where the battroids can move quickly if they want to, changing modes almost instantly and making sharp, sudden, movements naturally (without too much stress on the machine) and that is how I imagine they would move, not slow and lumbering like the destroids which are your traditional "real robot"-type robots that unlike the "action hero" robot, is more weighed down by gravity, left to be a mere background robot designed to sit on its arse and explode more than to kill stuff effortlessly)

Posted some thoughts on the MWB thread too.

When robotech can have an idol as original minmay:
http://www.hitube.net/video/Macross/Gzn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... mber_Love_
...then maybe you'd have a chance to convert a macross purist to robotech. I don't think Macross F will have a pop idol that will top minmay from DYRL though. Even though mari is 40, she is hot. I'd do her.

EDIT: Just for Nostalgia sake:
here is a torrent for "Macross: Do You Remember Love" with more accurate subs added (Gray_Phantom):
http://grayphantom.edwardk.info/%28G_P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;% ... v2.torrent
thanks hurin from the MWB (the best version floating out there, superior to the dvd and cleaner than it)

(not a licensed anime so relax mods)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

A bit more Macross Frontier news trickles out:

Graham off MWB uploaded some magazine scans from Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby Magazine:
click
click here for a larger scan

Mecha shown:
-VF-171 (new variant of the vf-17 from macross 7, which is stealth-themed Variable fighter)

-New varient of the Queadlunn Rau (female zentradi powered armor for macronised/giant pilots)

and...my fave...

VB6 Konig Monster (artillery mecha: a 3 mode variable version of the MK II Monster Destroid seen in SDF:macross, and "Macross VF-X" playstation macross games)

All these will appear in the Macross Frontier tv series. (maybe that = bandai making some high detail toys of some these? The variable Monster has already done by yamato though..maybe the exposure in a tvseries = boost in sales of that which didn't do too great)

update:
Seems to be more info coming out again on the character, mecha, ships in macrossF

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t&p=561054
more info from the official site:
M-Frontier = Macross 25(= Macross Quarter,S.M.S' battleship?)+ Frontier(City, Island 01?)+ Island02/03

other battleship:
Battle 25(= Macross 25??)
Glendale
Gentory
Amagi
Belleauwood
And mecha stats. Needs a better translation. Lots of updates to the MF website.

VF-25 (normal configuration, Alto and Ozuma-types)
Successor to VF-171 in NUNS. Developed as the next generation VF. Details are still confidential.

Weapons: Beam cannon, head lasers, gunpod.

Fighter
Length: 18.72m
Width (full wingspan): 15.5m
Height: 4.03m

Battroid
Height: 15.59m (with head lasers included)

Full Armor
Additional armament and dedicated special equipment. The VF-1 Full Armor was limited to battroid-use, but the VF-25 remains variable and it is possible to fly. Detailed data has not been disclosed.

VF-171
Based of VF-17. Developed as a multipurpose heavy fighter. Most popular current variable manned fighter / bomber in 2059. Macross Frontier's NUNS main VF. VF-171 is highly versatile and easy to pilot.

Macross Frontier
Macross Frontier is a large-scale immigrant fleet of the total 10 million people scale. Flagship is called "Island 1/One".
It centers and it is being composed by big and small, various spaceships. About half of the population in the resides in Island One.

EX Gear
It is a reinforced exoskeleton type powered suit. Special suit that becomes pilot seat and lifesaving for new model VF units.
Variable small jet engine and large wing. Flight is also possible.

Bisei(translation) pilot training course in the high school campus It is assumed that one can board a new VF and train using the EX-Gear.
Because a basic performance is the same standard as the military use, though equipment has been simplified. Collaboration is possible in untouched new model VF a cockpit.
Very interesting that the Full Armor for vf-25 can still be used in other modes. Weakness of the GBP was that it had to be ejected for fighter mode usage.

pics from: http://www.macrossf.com/mechanic/mechanic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VF-25:
Armor: (able to be kept on while in all modes)
VF-17: (confirmed as the new cannon fodder - all pilots seen in these will die :D)

space monsters: (macross' version of the inbit?)

an update:

The raws for macross frontier episode 1 should now be floating out there. It seems to be edited differently to fit the time limit compared to the Deculture edition.

Info gathered so far:
link
^hobby japan scans of the armored vf-25. Big images.
translation of text:
"heavy armor attachment system designed to expand weapons capability, designed for the VF-25. it has overcome the main weakness of the vf-1's armor system, which was limited to battroid mode. it is able to transform and fly with the armored parts still attached. further details unknown."

vf-25 caption:

"next generation variable fighter being developed to replace NUNS' VF-171. in keeping with all the previous series, it transforms into 3 different modes depending on the situation. weapons that can be confirmed include machine gun(s), beam cannons, machine gun lasers, and a newly designed gunpod. as it is a top secret unit under development, details are unknown. one of it's unique features is it's ability to link with a pilot wearing the ex-gear exoskeleton suit."

ex-gear

"reinforced exoskeleton powered suit that protects the pilot and increases his/her mobility range. it is capable of flight using its small jet engines and variable wings. it is possible to link up (pilot) with the VF-25 while still being worn, and can be used to eject from the vf-25 in emergencies."

vf-171 caption:

"heavy multi-role variable fighter based on the VF-17 (appeared in macross 7). it is the most commonly used manned variable fighter/bomber in 2059, and is the main fighter of NUNS in the frontier fleet."
Main difference in this show is how the controls work for battroid mode. Seems to take on the style of the robot from Aqaurion where the pilots must use it like an exo-suit. (the "EX" of EX Gear) In the past it was just your typical two stick arrangment for battroid and HOTAS for gerwalk/fighter mode.

more translated info (stuff that is mostly old news for fans):
link

One thing to keep in mind is that vf-171 is now more suitable for atmospheric flight. The vf-17 is mostly space use fighter so the changes for vf-171 make it more useful for fighting out-of-space. (a similar thing happened with variations of the vf-19 where the wings were shortened and there was more reliance on vernier thrusters in space to move, than the usual control surfaces on planes to move in flight. The Qrau is another robot whose superior manueuverability is more due to better thrusters for space, which is why it always seems to have more agility than other mecha) Performance of vf-171 is lower than a vf-17 (which was a fighter for the elite pilots in macross 7) but it's "easier to pilot". VF-171 is the main fighter for the Frontier fleet. (ie just like how the VF-11 from macross plus and macross 7 were the main fighter for cannon fodder pilots)

The mag also explains the retconning to make the series more interesting rather than accurate to history, so fanboys "back the fuck off" :D
Another thing is how the mention of the vf-25 being faster than the yf-19 and vf-21 (as seen in macross plus) which were fighters that were too dangerous to be flown at the highest speed without killing the pilot. This is important to note because there could be some new technology in the timeline to allow a pilot to not be killed and still fly faster than what you expect from macross plus. I'll wait for the official explanation than take in all the speculation. (perhaps the EX-Gear suit iteself helps in some way?)

Another thing confirmed: The human race unofficially knew and expected the bugs from some previous enouncter which is why they looked prepared for the bug attack in the deculture episode. (just like in SDF:M, where the VF-1 robot transformation was a secret up until the giants began their attack on earth - ie how could they have made giant-killing robots if they didn't have some info about giants in the first place?)

Also of note is that it looks like the character Michael is the new Max in terms of skill. That would make Alto the new hikaru (if he looked like a chic), and the other guy Kakizaki. Ozuma would be roy and act as the older brother figure to Alto.
In macross DYRL each character was "colour coded" with a unique stripe: Hikaru ("Rick Hunter" from RT) had the red triming, max had the blue trimming, and kakizaki (Ben from robotech) was green, and Roy had yellow trimming. (to make them noticable from within the robot) So going by that "code" which you would be familiar with from previous shows, you can predict who might die horribly and who survives in Macross F since this attempts a gundam seed-like "reboot of events similar to SDF:M" (SEED's was considered a reboot of the old MSG) but with new people. :D heh

reviews of raw of episode 1:
link
link
link

The "Deculture" episode seems to have more time to play with (no ads) so it is more detailed. Not surprising the first ep didn't match the excitement for deculture edition. The part where the ghost drones are getting beaten was sacrificed for more scenes with the characters. The DVD cut might be different again.

other useful Macross F related links:
-----------------------------------------

^the new opening to MacF

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- macross compendium now has a wiki. All canon macross info is held here. The only reliable and correct english source for macross info. Updated regularly. The wiki makes it much more convenient.

For fans of macross: I would advise you use this site for info, and Mr. March's site for images and lineart. (seems to get the best quality lineart so far)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I thought this might interest hard science fiction anime fans. From anime world order podcast:
interview with noboru ishiguro

click

Space Battleship Yamato / starblazers
SDF:macross
Megazone 23
Legend of the galactic heroes
Orguss
etc

pay attention to about 50% into the interview the bit where he says about how it is hard to give a sense of mass and he told the animators to not compromise on those things. That's one thing I liked about the old school animes where things moved with a certain realism that I liked which I miss. Yeah ok I will say why: cuz today's animation is a bit too floaty especially some of the movement of the cg objects and stuff. ie it looks like toys fighting, not giant robots :D. Robotech shadow chronicles is guilty of cheap looking fx for explosions as an example. This is why I want more weight in the mecha/sci-fi combat of today's anime just like the old stuff rather than the watery and floaty action.

In the interview also talks about differences between the old animation and the digital stuff and what he thinks.

Also talks about how the matrix rips off megazone 23. :D

ign reviews of macross frontier
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 has started. Its great and im already confused lol

Just as a refresher i watched season 1 again and its still an amazing series. Theres so much detail that i missed the first time around. I know its based from on the novels bit I have a feeling that they've planned these new episodes from the very start because ep2 from s1 seems to reference the new episode from s2.

And Mikiru is just too cute.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: The Anime Thread

Post by t0mby »

I'm jumping right in the deep end here. I've watched very little anime in my time, I know what I like, I just can't find what I'm looking for with all these silly movie titles.

Anyways, the reason why I said I am jumping right in, I came across this...

and am going to watch it tonite. I just watched the first few minutes up to the movie title and ok, it's only a few minutes, but I'm loving the art direction so far.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Looks interesting.

Have you seen Akira? Some of the greatest japnese animation ever.

Anime covers a wide variety of genres from porn, drama, kids robot shows, adult mecha shows (for bigger kids), adaptations of stories from comics games and novels, mystery, horror, action, sci fi and a whole heap of other things.

I reckon you should watch some magical girl animes like sailor moon, or maybe dragon ball Z (fighting). Maybe fist of the north star (post apoc fighting anime - like double dragon with bruce lee in it). Why? I dunno. That's what lots of people watch or know so it would be like you can have a conversation with the generic dude who cosplays as the character from them and know what they are on about.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Here is a good site on anime news for you:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

entry for mind game.

Here are my faves (from what I have seen):
you can categorise these under scifi/war
Gundam
Armored Trooper Votoms
super dimension fortress macross (more like a space opera really, not much emphasis on the tactics)
Legend of the galactic heroes (based on some novel and gets quite deep)

sci fi:
Cowboy bebop
Ghost in the Shell tv series
Space Cruiser Yamato (AKA Starblazers in US)

fighting:
fist of the north star (the excessive violence and western theme to it)
kenshin series and movies
dragon ball z
ninja scroll
street fighter animated movie

action horror:
vampire hunter d
blood

action
black lagoon
Lupin the Third

Right now I am watching gundam 00. Been falling behind most of the anime community.

What I'd like to see is anime that cover seriel killers. Something like a mix between dexter and ninja scroll with a bit of vampire hunter D, where you have a lot of violence and horror and action but you are disgusted by watching it because it's a very detailed animation like Akira which is hard to forget. The quality of the animation has to be really good for me to care. (at least try to get close to disney levels)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

interesting podcast:
how post WWII japan influenced anime:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-07-16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's very true...many of the japanese guys in the animes were sort of the 'suicidal' hero who would sacrifice himself to achieve his objectives. Today's anime characters seem more flat compared to the ones in the 80s. (Okita from space battleship yamato vs any of the invincble boyband kids in gundam wing :D )
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Seen the entire series of Starblazers (Yamato) back in the early 80's when it used to be on ABC at about 5pm'ish and loved it back in the day. Don't know if I would sit through it now though.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I'm not the most up to date anime fanatic. I just think the 70s-80s were some of the best anime years. (it is considered the boom years of anime) So that's why there is a lot of old stuff in my list.

All the cool people agree with me and reckon the 90s and beyond sucks. Of course thats a big generalisation, (there will always be something good) but I reckon it's the time you should have been a fan the most. Today's anime (especially remakes of old shit like the new bubble gum crisis for instance) pales in comparison to the old shit.

Oh and as for that astro boy movie: should have been live action (with cg fx) FFS.

I think ninja turtles would be better in all CG because they are mutant beings, but asto boy could have been like a boy version of iron man or something, and they could have updated it for today's kid so that it takes place in a more dark future and where robots are a bit more unhappy and angry like the megaman games rather than happy slaves to the humans. (but that's what battle angel alite is going to be I hope) You would view this all through the eyes of an innocent kid robot as an introduction to the world. (and the villains would be more powerful than astro but he feels sorry for them when he kills them sort of like harrison fords character in blade runner)
Purists would hate it, but nothing stopping them from rewatching the old toons.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I look at the anime selection when I'm in JB, but nothing jumps out. Some of the names are familiar, I remember when the Cowboy Beebop ones came out and Initial D (Seen about the first 4 or so eps of ID) but I don't really like the cutesy humor shit, it's not really my cup a tea.

That said, I've just watched the first hour of Mind Game, the video I linked above and it's without a doubt one of the most bizarre things I've watched, but I am liking it. It's got some awesome variety in art styles, story is way out there but I'm lovin' it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Samurai Champloo if you haven't seen it. It's worth it.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yeah I liked that one.

Tomby:
yeah mind game got a high number of 'masterpiece' rating on anime news network.

My taste is usually stuff that involves war, fighting, death, politics, drama, and it can get a bone-us if there is boobs in it.

Comedy can be there, but not necessary. Some of my faves are ones that have lot of horrible death scenes in it and the characters act very casual about it. They are not comedy but the character can be funny.

Take ninja scroll for instance, the main character get his face punched in, almost dies several times, but tries to talk and reason with the bad guy while he is dying and shit. Most characters just fight without the talking or jokes. But because its a serious show its more funny in that sense. It's got the R rated demon sex in it too so if that turns you on/off that might not be a good one for the family. :D But I recommend this just as an example of how you can add comedy into a serious show through situations the people are in and what they say. It can be ugly and funny.

If you can mix a bit of that serious stuff and the character is not a big single-minded psychotic guy (batman) but just a normal-sounding guy (ie more spiderman-ish) who says funny things you will more likely want to watch a show.

An example of this is in macross shows: macross plus is more popular with non-japanese fans partly I think because people who don't watch animes, are not japanese, can identify with the main character than your silent characters who are serious all the time. But you look at shows like macross 7 and the non-japanese western fans hate the character because he's so serious all the time and too hardcore. Yet its popular in japan.

I think you'd want to go for animes that look like they can be watched by international crowd first. Don't just watch shit "cuz its foreign" and you want something different. Go for what makes you laugh, cry, pee your pants etc. Most of the best stuff has all the comedy, drama, action, big-titted chic, the squeeky-voice loli characterer (panty sniffing crowd), in one place anyway. (try not to judge based on genre)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I thought we had one...

I've been playing a fair bit of TvC lately and am thinking about seeing some "classic" anime. What do people recommend? Specifically... what we would know as the 80's anime (which sometimes turns out to be the jap 70's).

Also... where is a good place to find this stuff? Would prefer to see if it in it's original format where possible.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I watched Claymore on Bru-Lay a little while ago.

It's basically chicks with swords caning demons, but as they use more of their power they eventually become a demon themselves, and are hunted by their former peers. There's an over-aching conspiracy of some kind that frustratingly isn't brought to closure in the first season (and apparently season two sucks), but it's still a good watch.

There's a DS game (Claymore: Gingan no Majo) that kind of looks like a poor mans Castlevania, but without being able to read the dialogue I don't think I could get into it.
van

Post by van »

Trailer for the upcoming anime-styled Thundercats series. Produced by WB, but animated by the peeps behind the Animatrix, etc.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'm acquiring the ADV versions of Gatchaman. Full uncut episodes with new translations and 5.1 sound. Can't wait to watch :D

I think I remember seeing these in JB's... Alex Ross did the cover art for the series...

Oh man... They have all 18 volumes on Amazon... Added to my list of things to purchase when I have money again <sigh>
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

i just marathon watched season 1 and 2 of melancholy of harahuhi suzumiya. (eng dub this time)

My head hurts trying to piece it all together. Certain events take place out of order. This is one of those shows that I'd mostly watch late at night on a rainy day when your full attention can be given to it. I don't know if there will be a season 3 but I can see why people like this. Japan is a strange place, and this is a strange anime.
I really wish there was an evil organisation for haruhi to fight against or something though. There is way too much focus on the everyday events that happen at a school. And why is kyon not like "WTF?" Isn't it strange he is calm?