Coronavirus thread

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Coronavirus thread

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Candy Arse wrote: 03 Feb 2022 08:42 pmNext thing you know they'll start talking about how around 75% of "covid" deaths in NSW are double and triple vaccinated.
They do, they just point out what you continually refuse to: Over 90% of the general population are vaccinated.
On the face of it, it seems confusing: data shows there are more vaccinated people than unvaccinated people in ICU in Victoria and New South Wales.
It's only confusing if you're dumb or a deliberate peddler of misinformation.
Between November 26 and January 8, 215 double-vaccinated people were admitted to intensive care, compared with 55 unvaccinated people, according to a recent COVID-19 surveillance report.

But those 215 people make up less than 0.1 per cent of fully vaccinated COVID-19 cases recorded in that period, while the 55 make up about 1.5 per cent of unvaccinated cases.
Oh
That might not sound like a big difference, but it's like a 1 in 1,000 chance of being admitted to intensive care if you're double vaccinated, versus a 15 in 1,000 chance if you're unvaccinated.

In other words, if you contract COVID-19, you're 15 times more likely to end up in ICU if you aren't vaccinated.
Oh

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-03/ ... /100800114

The craziest part about this was that this was pointed out to you:
Hercy wrote: 17 Jan 2022 02:57 pm You have to account for the fact that 93.8% of NSW over the age of 16 is vaccinated. There's about 6.7 million people over 16, so 6.25 million are vaxxed and 0.45 million are not.

Therefore the chances of dying are:
11 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 695k
Unvaxxed: 1 in 225k

12 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 480k
Unvaxxed: 1 in 55k

13 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 445k

14 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 330k
Unvaxxed: 1 in 45k

15 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 390k
Unvaxxed: 1 in 115k

16 Jan:
Unvaxxed: 1 in 75k

By all means talk about low numbers of deaths and fear mongering if you want but it's just silly to say that vaccines aren't reducing deaths. The last week of NSW data shows that you're about 6 times less likely to die when vaccinated.
To which you responsed:
Candy Arse wrote: 17 Jan 2022 04:58 pm Good data, thanks for that Hercy. Can't argue there that the vaccines are reducing the likelyhood of dying from/with covid (whatever the metric is on the day).
:run:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Ambrose Burnside

Been hilarious watching that cunt ScoMo suck McGowan's dick like a drowning man all week too.

Must be an election coming and that useless prick ScoMo has seen which way the wind is blowing in the west, and rather than stand on principles, has done what he does best.

Because he has no principles.

But he was doomed the moment he backed Clive Palmer in court. The implosion of the Federal Libs in the west since (Christian Porter, Linda Reynolds) has done the rest.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 05 Feb 2022 09:52 am
Candy Arse wrote: 03 Feb 2022 08:42 pmNext thing you know they'll start talking about how around 75% of "covid" deaths in NSW are double and triple vaccinated.
They do, they just point out what you continually refuse to: Over 90% of the general population are vaccinated.
On the face of it, it seems confusing: data shows there are more vaccinated people than unvaccinated people in ICU in Victoria and New South Wales.
It's only confusing if you're dumb or a deliberate peddler of misinformation.
Between November 26 and January 8, 215 double-vaccinated people were admitted to intensive care, compared with 55 unvaccinated people, according to a recent COVID-19 surveillance report.

But those 215 people make up less than 0.1 per cent of fully vaccinated COVID-19 cases recorded in that period, while the 55 make up about 1.5 per cent of unvaccinated cases.
Oh
That might not sound like a big difference, but it's like a 1 in 1,000 chance of being admitted to intensive care if you're double vaccinated, versus a 15 in 1,000 chance if you're unvaccinated.

In other words, if you contract COVID-19, you're 15 times more likely to end up in ICU if you aren't vaccinated.
Oh

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-03/ ... /100800114

The craziest part about this was that this was pointed out to you:
Hercy wrote: 17 Jan 2022 02:57 pm You have to account for the fact that 93.8% of NSW over the age of 16 is vaccinated. There's about 6.7 million people over 16, so 6.25 million are vaxxed and 0.45 million are not.

11 Jan:

12 Jan:

13 Jan:

14 Jan:

15 Jan:

16 Jan:

By all means talk about low numbers of deaths and fear mongering if you want but it's just silly to say that vaccines aren't reducing deaths. The last week of NSW data shows that you're about 6 times less likely to die when vaccinated.
To which you responsed:
Candy Arse wrote: 17 Jan 2022 04:58 pm Good data, thanks for that Hercy. Can't argue there that the vaccines are reducing the likelyhood of dying from/with covid (whatever the metric is on the day).
Nailed it.

This was always going to be about protecting those who are vulnerable which usually was those who have underlying conditions. My dad has emphysema. He is vaccinated. BUT his underlying medical condition makes his risk of getting very ill and dying higher. When you consider that we do have a significant population of ageing Australians.. and that this particular demographic lived different lives to us in terms of knowing and understanding health like we do now. My dad smoked and drank since he was 12. There is a huge number of Australians in their 60's and upwards that probably did not have access to education or consider their health as a priority and they are now living with those decisions by way of medical conditions. I see those people daily. Poor health combined with getting old which does indeed reduce our overall resilience due to our bodies... it goes without saying that the vaccine is about bolstering our ability to prevail the infection.

We have had this problem of people cherry-picking one piece of data and refusing to connect it up to other stats because it weakens or completely debunks their position on the topic. It's frustrating but it also really does show that ignorance.. plus the idea that it doesn't affect them - so it isn't important. It's staggering to consider how many people have shrugged their shoulders about other nameless people who have died or potentially will die.. it apparently only counts if you or someone you know is doing the dying.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 03 Feb 2022 09:48 am Derp.
'nuff said.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

stanard wrote: 03 Feb 2022 10:57 am
Madmya wrote: 03 Feb 2022 07:07 am
Ambrose Burnside wrote: 02 Feb 2022 09:39 am Only one level of government has actually done *anything* this pandemic.

It's the only reason we know the names of all the state premiers for the first time ever.

Scotty from Marketing split Australia up into its constituent parts because old "I don't hold a hose mate" couldn't be arsed , so it'll be interesting to see what happens next.
Sure, we should have had the federal government taking this outbreak on by themselves. Localised outbreak in Melbourne? Standardised nation-wide lockdown. :up:
Shows how little you think of the fed government that that's all they're capable of :lol:
Of course, I'm taking it to the simplest and most ridiculous scenario, but go from there and you'll soon see it makes sense to leave it to states. Muppets in Canberra aren't going to be suited to micro-managing each state, I thought that was obvious. And that was the conclusion reached in National Cabinet wasn't it?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 05 Feb 2022 10:00 am Been hilarious watching that cunt ScoMo suck McGowan's dick like a drowning man all week too.
This is why he's a poor leader.

He should be smacking the weak cunt down, but he's left it to the business sector to do it for him.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

stanard wrote: 03 Feb 2022 10:33 am
Madmya wrote: 30 Jan 2022 05:45 pm Gees imagine wall-to-wall Labor. We'd still be locking down.
Last I checked there were still 3 Lib state governments.
For me it's wall-to-wall Labor.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Madmya wrote: 05 Feb 2022 08:18 pm
stanard wrote: 03 Feb 2022 10:57 am
Madmya wrote: 03 Feb 2022 07:07 am

Sure, we should have had the federal government taking this outbreak on by themselves. Localised outbreak in Melbourne? Standardised nation-wide lockdown. :up:
Shows how little you think of the fed government that that's all they're capable of :lol:
Of course, I'm taking it to the simplest and most ridiculous scenario, but go from there and you'll soon see it makes sense to leave it to states. Muppets in Canberra aren't going to be suited to micro-managing each state, I thought that was obvious. And that was the conclusion reached in National Cabinet wasn't it?
No one has been asking them to micro manage each state. Just proactively do the top level federal stuff that they're responsible for.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Like what? Aged care? So we're going to have states running everything in their state but not aged care, that's for the feds? Makes zero sense.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Federal Government were responsible for Aged Care, Vaccine Roll out, and Quarantine.

They have failed to manage all three effectively and the states HAVE had to pick up the slack because of the shit management and delayed response from the federal government.
Ambrose Burnside

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote: 07 Feb 2022 12:24 am Federal Government were responsible for Aged Care, Vaccine Roll out, and Quarantine.

They have failed to manage all three effectively and the states HAVE had to pick up the slack because of the shit management and delayed response from the federal government.
This.

Bizarre jump from "do your job" to "ScoMo can't micromanage everything for everyone".
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I swear everyone just rolls out these words without actually thinking about how it would work in reality, or without the context of what the current circumstances were. Sure things could have been done better, but it would be hard to find a government who managed the pandemic to perfection. You won't even find it on any level in this country.

At least I think the majority of the country has grown, and now it feels like we're finally heading towards a goal together. Except WA, they're still stuck in the mindset of two years ago.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Which words are getting rolled out?
If it’s my Aged Care, Quarantine and Vaccine Roll Out... these words get brought up because these responsibilities belong to the Federal Government. There is no disputing this.

The Govt continually made errors in managing these... they had such poor forethought on how to handle it. The examples of poor decision making and blatant inaction is unforgivable.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yep, those words. Aged Care is an example... from what I can tell people started frothing over it because Victoria had a lot of deaths in the Aged Care sector and the blame quickly shifted towards the Government once Chairman Dan started to cop some heat. I get that Aged Care is a federal responsibility, but it was made clear at the beginning that the states would take care of their own territories. This made sense. What makes no sense is to then have these little buildings dotted all over the place that work under different rules because they are run by the federal government. That's what I mean.

Vaccine Roll Out... you'll be pressed to find countries who haven't been slammed over this. Even the left's darling, Jacinda Ardern, was behind Australia on this front. Captain Hindsight can swoop in and say what should have happened, but in reality we had certain CHOs undermine the AstraZeneca vaccine which created an air of vaccine hesitancy, as well as Pfizer distributing their supplies to countries who needed them more urgently.

How's Anna's quarantine facility out at Toowoomba going?
Ambrose Burnside

The demonisation of AstraZeneca was unforgivable.

But it's OK now. ScoMo has called in the army to sort out Aged Care. Let 'er rip :up:

With everything going on in Australia and the world at the moment, the most pressing thing for ScoMo and his band of fundamentalist fruitcakes is the legal discrimination of the gays.

What a guy.
Reka

Post by Reka »

So QLD hit their target of 90% vaccinated yesterday.

I was under the impression the restrictions on the unvaccinated would get lifted or eased once their target was reached. I mean, what's the point of a target if it's meaningless?

There's been pretty much no mention of the milestone being hit or restrictions on the unvaccinated being eased. So what's the deal?
Ambrose Burnside

You expected restrictions to be lifted on the unvaxxed now? :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Absolutely they should be. If 90% of the population is not enough, then nothing will ever be enough. It's ridiculous.

I'd say it'll happen in a couple of weeks, though. Hopefully mask mandates disappear soon too.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 09 Feb 2022 10:18 am The demonisation of AstraZeneca was unforgivable.

But it's OK now. ScoMo has called in the army to sort out Aged Care. Let 'er rip :up:

With everything going on in Australia and the world at the moment, the most pressing thing for ScoMo and his band of fundamentalist fruitcakes is the legal discrimination of the gays.

What a guy.
You realise you were complaining about him doing nothing before and when he does something you're complaining again.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

....that makes no sense and you know it :lol:

Must be nice to have such low expectations of our politicians.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's some low-hanging, pointless fruit. :P
Ambrose Burnside

He also washed a woman's hair for some reason :loco:

And yes, restrictions will ease, but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect them to while the ink is still drying on the termination paperwork of those who proved totally unqualified to work in health, aged care, education etc.

And while (I'm assuming, I could be wrong) restrictions remain for those who did the right thing.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 05 Feb 2022 09:52 am

It doesn't sound like a big difference because it isn't a big difference.

0.1% vs 1.5%.

I certainly do understand that 15x more likely makes for better hysteria so I can see why we roll with that. I also totally understand how for some people the risk analysis makes it more worthwhile to get jabbed, and I support that.

Of course, my problem has never been with vaccines in general, much moreso insane government policies, overreach and ridiculous mandates.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 05 Feb 2022 09:52 am The craziest part about this was that this was pointed out to you:

11 Jan:

12 Jan:

13 Jan:

14 Jan:

15 Jan:

16 Jan:

To which you responsed:
I do indeed recall this, in fact I went so far as to turn those numbers into percentages to add some extra context -
I've spent the time (aka used my computer) turning these chances into percentages for shits and giggles.

11 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 695k - 0.00014%
Unvaxxed: 1 in 225k - 0.00044%

12 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 480k - 0.00020%
Unvaxxed: 1 in 55k - 0.00181%

13 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 445k - 0.00022%
Unvaxxed: 1 in 55k - 0.00181%

14 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 330k - 0.00030%
Unvaxxed: 1 in 45k - 0.00222%

15 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 390k - 0.00025%
Unvaxxed: 1 in 115k - 0.00086%

16 Jan:
Vaxxed: 1 in 445k - 0.00022%
Unvaxxed: 1 in 75k - 0.00133%
And of course I can totally understand why you didn't copy those into your post :run:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote: 05 Feb 2022 03:23 pm It's frustrating but it also really does show that ignorance.. plus the idea that it doesn't affect them - so it isn't important. It's staggering to consider how many people have shrugged their shoulders about other nameless people who have died or potentially will die.. it apparently only counts if you or someone you know is doing the dying.
You're right, it doesn't affect me -

My wife who, because of the ban on elective surgery in Victoria, lives in pain on a daily basis due to her severe Endometriosis and has to wait until our overlords decides people like her are worthy of a quick day trip to the hospital to be worked on by a surgeon who currently can't work because the ban on elective surgery rules out the procedures she actually does.

Going a step further, this surgery is preventing my wife and I from starting a family which we have been working on for some time now, but Endo can throw a massive spanner into the works as far as fertility goes so she needs the operation in order to assess if she can conceive naturally or if we need to look at applying for IVF.

But hey, we aren't affected by this because we didn't die from covid. We've both had it (unvaxxed), but didn't die. Our bad yo.

Or friends of mine who have had to shut their businesses down and find other lines of work due to the crazy amounts of lockdowns that people in Victoria have endured. In specific cases, a male friend of mine who I've been supporting and counseling who attempted to take his own life because of how his mental health spiralled after the 5th lockdown that was the one that put the final nail in the business coffin.

Doesn't count I guess because he didn't die, let alone die from covid.

Or some of my nieces and nephews whose development, social skills and mental health clearly suffered with things like playground closures, crazy amounts of at home schooling, not being able to see friends or family members.

I could go on about things like people dipping into their super to pay the bills because they were declared non-essential workers for months on end, or a family member who was hospitalised after a major car crash and was not allowed to have any visitors the entire time in hospital BeCaUsE cOvId but I have no interest in turning this into a pity party because it isn't, needless to say my point is that the effects of ludicrous, nonsensical government overreach and policy extends far beyond "covid" deaths, and in addition to that just be careful assuming that if someone is against mandates, against hysteria, against wacky policy etc that it must not affect them.