iPhone

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

It's all smoke and mirrors. The price isn't cut in half at all because you have to pay $10 more a month. Thats $240 more without tax just for the contract.
And it does sound like these new iphones will be locked right down.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

amba wrote:Activation is also now done at the carrier store, not at home, and Apple aren't selling them online, just at the stores (first one opens in Sydney next month). I think that it's going to get harder to get an unlocked phone.

My guess? $200. On a $69 cap plan for 24 months. Not including data.
Plans will vary: I know Vodafone have said that they will offer it on prepaid...

Also: $10 for Super Monkey Ball for the iPhone....
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

$200 on a $69 cap is ok I guess. Will depend on how much more data caps are
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

I'll be grabbing mine through Vodafone Pre-paid. I have a year or so left on my Vodafone $79 cap from when i got my N95... so i can just throw the sim they give me with the phone.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Does Voda prepaid have data available?

Does any 3G prepaid have data available?

This phone really needs data. And what I said before aside, I think that they will offer on around a $70 cap, but include about 500MB of data, which is plenty. That would equate in value to similar products.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

I think Telstra is the only carrier that offers prepaid data packs at the moment.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

oooh! oooh! oooh! I called it!
unfnknblvbl wrote:Knowing Apple, they'll remove some feature that makes 3G worthwhile, on the claim that nobody uses it or somesuch...

note: video calling may or may not be worthwhile, but it was one of the initial selling features of 3G...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Texas

Post by Texas »

amba wrote:Does Voda prepaid have data available?

Does any 3G prepaid have data available?

This phone really needs data. And what I said before aside, I think that they will offer on around a $70 cap, but include about 500MB of data, which is plenty. That would equate in value to similar products.
Voda prepaid works by taking $1 off your cap for each 5 minute block you use, otherwise you can get data packs of 100meg for $12
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

$12 for 100MB? Fuck, that's expensive!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Yeah fone data is expensive ... you don't tend to use as much though if you browse mobile pages.

Prices are slowly coming down though (very fucking slowly).
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I pay $10/month for 300MB data from Virgin, ffs!

...and while I feel like attacking Apple, what's with the charging for iPod Touch firmware updates? :thumbsdown:
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

That's not prepaid though is it.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

No, but do you pay more for calls on prepaid? If not, why should you pay more for data?

...if so, then why?
Texas

Post by Texas »

You do pay more for calls on prepaid, usually.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Cardsy wrote:Prices are slowly coming down though (very fucking slowly).
A little perspective please. 5 years ago I was paying cents per kilobyte over GSM/GPRS. 3 years ago when I first got my 3G mobile I was paying a grand total of $4/meg and had a 10 meg data pack for $12/month. 2 years ago I could pay $20 for 100MB. 1 year ago I started paying $20 for 500MB. Today I can get a gig a month plus a free USB modem for $15/month.

Mobile data pricing has gone from complete shit to blowing low end DSL out of the water in the space of about 5 years. Nothing else has ever improved so much in the value stakes so quickly.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Texas wrote:You do pay more for calls on prepaid, usually.
Three times as much?
Texas

Post by Texas »

It's all done to try and get you to sign up to a contract.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

You reckon?
I'd like to see some stats on how many contract phones there are in Australia, versus prepaids (in regular use).
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

mech wrote:2mp camera is fine for a camera phone, you're not going to get much better real res out of a camera that tiny anyway.
I dunno about you, but I noticed a massive difference between the 2MP camera on my old N70 and the 5MP on my N95... and even comparing the quality of the current iPhone's camera to the N95, the Nokia comes out on top.

I'm curious as to why it doesn't have a flash...
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

Damn the iPhone 2 is still lame. 2mp was the standard way back 3 generations of mobile phones ago.
:rock:
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ticle.html
6. What does all this mean for the iPod Touch?
Until now, the iPod Touch has delivered all the goodness of the iPhone (except the phone part) for less money. But things look dicey for the Touch in its current form at its current price point: It doesn't have the iPhone 3G's GPS, and the 8GB and 16GB variants now cost $100 more apiece than their iPhone counterparts. If you're happy with your current phone and have no desire to lock yourself into a pricey two-year voice and data contract to score an iPhone, you might still be interested in a Touch, I guess. But it's hard to imagine that it will stay popular at its current price--and since Jobs didn't mention a price cut today, I wonder if its days are numbered.
I wish Apple would clear this up. I'm happy with my el cheapo Nokia phone, but would love to buy a Touch in the near future.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Itunes, no ringtones, no copy and paste, no MMS, 2MP. Summary = still a gimped k750i, an ancient phone.

Iphone is probably a fine product, especially for those with selective hearing/seeing (i.e. Apple fanboys). But I dont see why we should pay premium prices for common features that are missing. If the phone were good enough that its features provided incentive to use the horrible Itunes, I may feel differently. But in its current form, it is unfinished.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

iPhone 2.0? More like iPhone beta
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Check out Optus data charges if you want to see a rip off.....
MCWrang
XBL ID: MCWrang
Steam ID: MCWrang

Post by MCWrang »

Ok, so amidst the banter, has anyone gone into a a Voda or Optus store to get a pre-order down? I noticed that Optus' iPhone website up and running, but there isn't a hint of info on the Voda site (which is what I am waiting for given they are my current carrier). And yes, I will be getting one for sure, I managed to hold off long enough with the last version. [/apple fanboi]