iPhone

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Vodafone site is meant to be http://iphone.vodafone.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it just redirects to the store.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Bang, I'm signing up on the Optus site.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

MCWrang wrote:Ok, so amidst the banter, has anyone gone into a a Voda or Optus store to get a pre-order down? I noticed that Optus' iPhone website up and running, but there isn't a hint of info on the Voda site (which is what I am waiting for given they are my current carrier). And yes, I will be getting one for sure, I managed to hold off long enough with the last version. [/apple fanboi]
Thats what I like to hear. Not some defensive rant justifying an inferior product. Vote 1 MCWrang!
mech

Post by mech »

The iPhone is a damn good phone. Any of the people comparing it to a K750i actually used one?
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Probably not.
We have 2 people with them in my office. I have compared it to my last 2 phones (k750, k850) and it shits on them, even if I take my Apple coloured glasses off. The interface is that fucking good. I have used my G/F's iPod Touch heaps too; it is surprisingly easy to get adept at using quickly and intuitively. And I want MobileMe!
And who's to say that all these software 'features' that people are complaining it doesn't have (c&p, MMS, etc) won't be added via the App Store/OSX iPhone Update? MMS = App (it's already been done for the first-gen iPhone.) Remember Apple have a habit of (mostly) waiting until they are totally happy with something before they implement it. Also: TomTom have announced their GPS software will be available on the iPhone 3G. HELL YES!
mech

Post by mech »

Yeah the interface IS amazing, you can't just read a checklist of features against it and go "oh noes, 2mp camera, no mms, it's worse than a k750i!!!"

How about all the shit the K750i doesn't have that the iPhone does?
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

BOOMY wrote:Itunes, no ringtones, no copy and paste, no MMS, 2MP. Summary = still a gimped k750i, an ancient phone.
On the fucking money.

itunes? I wouldn't be using it for music anyway. 2mp camera? Mobile phone lenses are shit so cf=0. But no MMS is barmy, no ringtones is purely wtf and no copy/paste is inexcusable.

(also itunes is a very good music app)
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

mech wrote:How about all the shit the K750i doesn't have that the iPhone does?
That would be fine if they were launching at the same time. But they're not and things that are industry standard now are absent on the iphone.

its like comparing a gba to a psp.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Vzzzbx wrote:no copy/paste is inexcusable.
I've been pretty quiet this thread but I just want to expand on this.

If you've ever used Windows Mobile you'd know just how critical copy and paste is because WinMo has no real sharing between the different apps on the phone.

The iPhone interface on the other hand is highly contextual. If you start at your contacts and click on the address it'll bring up a Google Maps window. On my WinMo phone the address box isn't smart enough to do that so copy and paste becomes an absolute necessity. Tap an email address in any app and iPhone starts up mail.

The interface has become smarter, less of an obstruction and as a result copy and paste is rarely missed outside of editing seriously large amounts of text and who really wants to do that on a mobile device?
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Me.

~98% of my current phone use is for web browsing and email. If I can't copy and paste text, it can fuck off.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

As stated its a fine product. But they could have done more. If dated phones like the k750-850 series have very basic convinient features that the iphone is missing you gotta question, why dont they finish the fucking thing before releasing it? :D

Note: I am just being facetious cuz I hate itunes. I am biased, winamp all the way baby!
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

This is why it's sooo annoying. They've worked hard to produce an exceptional device, and if it weren't for a couple of really dumb oversights that should have been addressed before v1.0 ffs, I'd be first in line.
Texas

Post by Texas »

There is no MMS because it's web/email based. (remember it automatically switches to wifi if you are in range of an open AP/your AP) And, as I said, there is an MMS app for the first-gen one, so I bet there are several on the App Store when it opens. Who here really uses MMS extensively? I mean more than a drunken pic of your arse every now and then...
(Here's where I'd make the 'floppy drive/iMac comparison,' but it will fall on deaf ears... :D)
C&P is a fail to an extent, I will agree, but as nobody has played with the final hardware for any more than 10 minutes yet and the new SDK update has only just been seeded we don't know all the details. It may be in there, or one of the point updates. They are probably trying to make it work well in the Multi-Touch environment. It will be on the Tablet Mac which is rumoured to be releasing later this year, and that will most likely use OS X iPhone to some extent.
And I can't believe everyone is still bringing up the ringtones shit: APPS, kids! They have ringtone apps on the first-gen, they will be on the second-gen in the app store.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Texas wrote:copy and paste is rarely missed outside of editing seriously large amounts of text and who really wants to do that on a mobile device?
Texas wrote:Who here really uses MMS extensively?
If you complain about a Windows feature, a Windows user will try to give you an answer.

If you complain about a Unix/Linux problem, a Unix/Linux user will probably fix it for you.

If you complain about an Apple issue, the Apple user says 'why would you want to do that?'

Every. Single. Time.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Few years ago I was using OS X 10.1 and the pointer speed was painfully slow.

I asked for help on some Mac tech forums, and guess what every response was. Go on.
Texas

Post by Texas »

1. First quote is Talez, I want c&p.
2. It was a serious question, and MMS has a solution. There will be a third party app. If there was not going to be one I'd suggest Apple would have built it in.

And it should read:
If you complain about an Apple issue, the Apple user says 'why would you want to do that? That's so Windows. We do it like/with this...'
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Vzzzbx wrote:
Texas wrote:copy and paste is rarely missed outside of editing seriously large amounts of text and who really wants to do that on a mobile device?
Texas wrote:Who here really uses MMS extensively?
If you complain about a Windows feature, a Windows user will try to give you an answer.

If you complain about a Unix/Linux problem, a Unix/Linux user will probably fix it for you.

If you complain about an Apple issue, the Apple user says 'why would you want to do that?'

Every. Single. Time.
:awesome:

:lol: That is gold!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

why does MMS have to be a third party solution? It's a Phone With A Camera. It should be capable of MMS natively - hell, you could send MMS before cameras were in phones, even!

And for the record, I send and receive MMS quite regularly. I used to send them a lot more frequently, until my friend rather foolishly bought an iPhone Alpha (which subsequently couldn't receive the funny Directory Assistance listings I was sending to him from work)
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Texas

Post by Texas »

Ok, cool, I just hardly ever use MMS, hence the reason I asked, and hence the reason it ain't no biggie for me. As for why no MMS and therefore third patry, I have never read any concrete answer as to why it wasn't put in:
- the US hardly use MMS
- Apple are pushing the 'internet device' so they forsake it for email
- Steve Jobs hated the drunken arse crack pictures Woz sent him all the time so he ordered it removed

The 3 most requested things to be added to the iPhone were apparently 3G, GPS and better battery life, which are all in this one.
Gr8ness

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

That's another thing that shits me about Apple, actually... they are so USA-centric - which is fair enough really, given that their largest market is there, but to the point that they impose American trends and ideals on their "superior product" is just annoying.

No 3G in the first iPhone because it hadn't really taken off there yet.
No MMS because it's not that popular there
No video recording because... why?
No front camera because nobody over there uses it much (see point one for the reason why, ffs)

OK, it's fair enough for Apple to want to concentrate on the internet side of the device, but to drop a bog-standard feature like MMS to do so? It's not as if it would have required many man-hours of effort to implement; probably just a few additional lines in their SMS sending app. Hell, why not at least allow the damned thing to receive MMS? It's clearly capable of doing at least that, yeah?

...I dunno how many people know this, but up until the last (I think) firmware update, the original iPhone wasn't even able to receive special service SMSes, of the sort that you get from your network provider, to let you know your bill's overdue or whatever.
That's some quality field testing there!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Texas wrote:1. First quote is Talez, I want c&p.
agh it was too, sorry.
Texas wrote:2. It was a serious question, and MMS has a solution. There will be a third party app. If there was not going to be one I'd suggest Apple would have built it in.
Apple should have built it in.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

unfnknblvbl wrote:That's another thing that shits me about Apple, actually... they are so USA-centric
e.g. 'Made in California'
unfnknblvbl wrote:No video recording because... why?
Cost, I assume. Different hardware.
unfnknblvbl wrote:No front camera because nobody over there uses it much (see point one for the reason why, ffs)
And for 90% of people it's a gimmick, and it would take up extra space.
unfnknblvbl wrote:OK, it's fair enough for Apple to want to concentrate on the internet side of the device, but to drop a bog-standard feature like MMS to do so?
Fanboy excuse, I think.
unfnknblvbl wrote:Hell, why not at least allow the damned thing to receive MMS? It's clearly capable of doing at least that, yeah?
On another forum I read an account of someone who has an iphone and can't retrieve MMSes because a) it won't process MMSes and b) he can't even c+p the provided url into Safari because there's no c+p.
unfnknblvbl wrote:...I dunno how many people know this, but up until the last (I think) firmware update, the original iPhone wasn't even able to receive special service SMSes, of the sort that you get from your network provider, to let you know your bill's overdue or whatever.
Massive massive massive massive plus.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

So let me get this right, no camera, no MMS AND you have to use that fucking iTunes? Fuck that.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
friick

Post by friick »

I've had my iphone for about 6 months now. It's a great device. sure it's missing some features but you really can't go past how streamlined this thing is...

Must admit I thought the new version would have some more features. I'm going to wait for the next revision before upgrading...
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

When my last contract was up for the W810i, I took ages trying to find a new phone. Basically, it had to answer 2 criteria: 1) Is it better than my previous phone? and 2) Will I regret buying it in 2 years time? And I couldn't find anything.

Eventually when my mobile died I went and got a N95 8GB because I had to get something, but I bought it outright so I wasn't in contract in case something came along. Specifically, a new iPhone. And I still think the N95 is fugly. So I was definitely going into the announcement with an open mind.

Fast forward to yesterday. And whilst including the 3G took away a dealbreaker for me, there's this nagging feeling that it's close enough, but not quite there yet.

It is a beautiful device, with an incredible interface. But the things that are missing will piss me off on day one, and will certainly piss me off on day 700. MMS missing now means that I would miss photos and messages from my friends and family. I think that the advances in video will be the next frontier, and will move beyond Youtube, having looked at things such as Qik, uStream and Seesmic.

I do think I will get an iPhone one day, but not yet. It's ready to replace my organiser. It's just not ready to be my phone.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]