iPhone

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Re: iPhone

Post by Pointy Cat »

You don't know what it's benchmarking? The phones of course? I'd make you a chart showing their performance without the influence of their OS but a chart where every bar reads 0 is pretty pointless. I'm just pointing out that you can't disregard those charts because it's not only testing what actually matters but also there's no viable alternative way to benchmark their hardware in a way that would mean anything.

I'm not here to debate the iOS vs Android thing, partly because it's boring and partly because I mostly agree anyway. iOS6 is the most boring iOS update yet, map lulz aside. But if you want to go down that road I can say you dismissing those charts seems a bit too much like wanting to ignore one of the major remaining advantages iOS has just because it puts iOS on top of something for a short time. Don't worry it's not that bad having an iPhone up top of a chart for a bit, as GCF points out I'm sure there will be a new Android phone out soon enough that beats it. All will be well again soon!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Well I've blatantly mentioned how it outlines just how quick iOS6 is to use so what am I ignoring? I was under the impression that the convo was about hardware, maybe I'm wrong though, I don't know.

Look I've been brought up on a diet of science, and benchmarking systems without constants seems stupid. Whoopdey fucking doo if iOS6 performs better if it's a far simpler platform? Is that too hard to believe? I'm just trying to get a better grip of the situation, cos to be honest I'm a little astounded that it outperforms the S3/One X. I'm not surprised RE: One X because I'd imagine Sense requires more love from the hardware but to me it gives an overall better experience.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

I dunno, it just seems pointless to benchmark a phone without the OS. If someone managed it and it turned out iOS6 was all magical and the A6 was really a lump of shit or the other way around then so what? I'm sorry but it really does seem pointless to raise this as an issue, especially since there is no viable alternative. Do you raise the same issue when people compare running costs of various cars because not all of them are using the same fuel? Unlike something like video cards you can't compare everything on a purely hardware basis.

Also iOS and Android are performing the same tasks more or less. Android has a feature advantage yes but it's not like those extra features make it vastly more complex. It's not like we're comparing iOS and Windows machines here, so try not to overplay the "well iOS is more simple so that's why!" line.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I largely agree with what you're saying, but I still just don't think it's right. At least, I don't think it's worth trumpeting. Honestly, yes I would expect a car test to be using the same fuel. That makes sense. All variables must be kept constant if you are able to. I can understand that they can't keep things constant with a phone, if you say so, I don't know. But I just find it rubbish is all. Surely there's an alternative to benchmark the hardware. iOS has always had its limitations, mostly tactical I believe. Apple has always wanted you to use their hardware how they want you to and it's resulted in an extremely well-made product that works to a level that they've tested and expected. Android, on the other hand, is open and is susceptible to many more variables.

Cool shit, iPhone5 runs amazingly. But it's iOS. I'm not impressed.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

:shock:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Madmya wrote:So just to confirm, it's safe to disregard those benchmark tests as being inconclusive?
You can conclude that IOS6 brought in some very impressive javascript performance improvements. 4S got a nice 30% performance boost in sunspider.

Once you take out the better more up to date javascript engine, the cpu performs at A15/Krait level, which is to be expected. You either go more IPC(A15) or more Cores(A9) to get performance on the same die space.

GPU is fast, ipad level fast but compared to older MP400/adreno225 designs. Adreno 320 looks a tad faster and the Mali6XX series chips will be faster again. This is the true competition for the A6 heading into the next year.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Talez wrote:Image

:shock:
With more people using the internet on the go, this is why the NBBO is such a waste of money.

This is only the first generation of LTE, we'll see near 100mbit speeds in the future.
GW2cameout

Post by GW2cameout »

lestat wrote:
Madmya wrote:So just to confirm, it's safe to disregard those benchmark tests as being inconclusive?
You can conclude that IOS6 brought in some very impressive javascript performance improvements. 4S got a nice 30% performance boost in sunspider.

Once you take out the better more up to date javascript engine, the cpu performs at A15/Krait level, which is to be expected. You either go more IPC(A15) or more Cores(A9) to get performance on the same die space.

GPU is fast, ipad level fast but compared to older MP400/adreno225 designs. Adreno 320 looks a tad faster and the Mali6XX series chips will be faster again. This is the true competition for the A6 heading into the next year.
North Korean levels of damage control coming out of this one. "It's competition is next year's handsets!". The rest of the market is two years behind PowerVR and Samsung were nimrods for ditching it post-Hummingbird.
Burnzoire wuz right
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Update the iOS on my Iphone4 last night and it seems to improved the way it runs. Typical cunts act on Apples behalf on not making all the new features available to earlier models, considering majority of the stuff is software based and can easily run on the iphone4. I will be fucked if I will upgrade, considering there is fuck all difference and my 2 year old phone is still working well.

Having seen all the launch day shit last week on TV, gotta say the cunts that work at the Apple stores have got to be the cuntiest cunts I have ever seen. Seriously if I had to work there, I would properly kill myself...
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

You know... I can understand getting excited about launching something but I have to agree, apple store employees irk me.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Talez posts dodgy benchmarks as damage control and then tells Lestat he's all about damage control to Nth Korean levels. I guess that makes Talez like the Syrian dictator of damage control any comment against Apple comes back 10 fold with fudgy stats
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Fucking idiots :)

The first test was stupid, gs3 landed right on the screen, iPhone 5 on the end
The liquid test was interesting though, wish my iPod fared that well, sat in a little puddle on my basin and never recovered
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ugh, what is wrong with people.

Having said that, my Desire is a champion when it comes to resisting damage. Poor thing has put up with a lot of shit from me.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Couldn't fault my Desire, it went through hell even went through the washing machine and never gave up on me!
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Looks like the iPhone fared better in a lot of those tests due to its smaller screen. Like the edges of the screen/phone took the impact instead of the centre of the larger wider screen on the GS3. I think they needed to drop things directly on the screen itself to see how well it fares.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

http://www.lightwoodgames.com/blog/2012 ... GHi3FHTJ7G" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flipswitch
que
que

iPhone

Post by flipswitch »

Just realised the 4s also gets the panorama feature.You fat people should enjoy this.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Played around with my workmates new iPhone 5 today, we have a Telstra tower just outside our shed so he is getting fucking ridiculous speeds, 4g is awesome.

The phone itself feels cheaper to me compared to my wife's 4s, maybe it's because it's lighter... I prefer the look and feel of the 4/4s
Also, my mate is saying the battery doesn't last as long as his 4 did, maybe it's the 4g, or maybe he's just playing with it more being new and all that.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

I relish all the iPhone hate. iPhone 5 is more than the sum of its parts. Love the 'widgets fo life, yo' arguments against it.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I don't hate the iPhone 4S, I told my wife tonight that she isn't missing much, its still one of the best looking phones out there.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

No jab at your comment champ. Just at staff at work who can't bring their devices devices in at work on BYOD basis.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Android banned as BYOD? :)
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Is in Gov. No DSD evaluation = no bloody way.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I think my work mate is a bit dissapointed with his 5, he tried to show me something today and his screen was all the way down, I asked if it was to save battery and he said its the only way it'll get through the day, he turned the brightness up and by lunch it was at 7%!! Fucking crazy, maybe his phone is fucked, or is it the 4g?

Also he dropped it and it has a huge bit of damage, it'll be very tough to keep these from looking beat up.

Anyway my mate didn't say it but I can tell he is dissapointed.