MP3 player advice please.

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

MP3 player advice please.

Post by Seraph »

Looking at buying an mp3 player. I'll try to cover the main things I need/want/don't want briefly, in point form.

Needs:
large capacity. 30gb+.
large song capacity (15,000 songs).
good quality.
plays mp3s of various types (bitrates, frequencies, CBR, VBR, etc.)

Would preferably have:
wma and/or ogg support.
decent screen for seeing song names etc.
ability to use as a HDD (in other words, store files other than mp3s)
ability to view text

Don't want:
cumbersome programs required to move files (hello iTunes)

Not worried about
phsyical size/weight (will be in a backpack)
video playback (PSP > iPod screen).
price (as long as quality warrants it).

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

That's exactly what i was looking for when i bought my player, the iRiver H340. I know they're a bit old now, but I'm yet to see anything that even comes close to being as versatile as the H340 (but then i havent been looking :P).
It's 40gb, I dont think it does Ogg, The screen is great quality (And can playback video if you downsample a lot and use a newer Korean firmware (still in english though)), you dont need to install ANY software for it, you can just drag and drop, it acts like an external HDD, plays pretty much every mp3 i throw at it, and it still has quite a following.
http://www.misticriver.net/ <-- THE iRiver community site.

Dunno if it's exactly what you're looking for, but its a fantastic little gadget if you want an alternative to the iPod.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

30 or 60 gig iPod. You don't have to use iTunes (there are nifty winamp plug-ins) and it's the best value for money by far. It's ridiculous what other people charge for their HDD players, and how chunky they are. Get yourself the student discount (10%) or look on http://www.staticice.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the best deals. Don't pay full retail.

Only thing you'll miss out on is WMA or OGG support, but I think that might be supported under iPod Linux now...?
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

If you are feeling a bit geeky, you can use a 3rd party OS on it called Rockbox. I still don't "get it" completely, but did manage to install it on there and have a small muck around with it. Will play MP3s using a standard folder structure (no need for iTunes or anything else for that matter) and completely skinnable. Oh, and it plays OGG too.
Might take a little while for you to get it up and running, but well worth looking into.
http://www.rockbox.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Thanks for the help so far.

I'm still not sold on the iPod - I don't like having to pay extra for a charger, and I'd really prefer being able to just plug it in to any old PC and drag'n'drop files, rather than having to bring drivers/plugins whenever I move around. I'll have to see what else is around, first, naturally, but the less in the way of installed software, the better.

It'd also be nice if the mp3 player came with decent headphones, or at least a set with the little remote prev/next/pause control thing halfway down the cord. But I can always buy them seperately, or perhaps use the PSP one? Will depend on whether or not it has that little extra bit on the plug. You know what I mean. :)
mech

Post by mech »

How often do you need to plug it into other PCs? Worst comes to worst you can dump the MP3s on there and sort it out later, or as Shaneus said, you can run a 3rd party OS (which does play OGG).

Decent headphones - unlikely to happen, you can buy an pair of Koss KSC-75s for $40 delivered off eBay anyway, which will sound better than any bundled headphones.

It is a problem with the iPod that it doesn't have a remote anymore, but they've made it so small now it'll fit in your pocket anyway, so I haven't even missed my remote since I got a 60 gig video. All remotes are proprietary AFAIK, so you'll have to buy another one.

Re: the charger, it does come with a USB cable, so I haven't missed having a charger just yet, but yeah, it is shocking they don't include one. I've never run out of juice though, as it's usually plugged into a computer or my 360.

Anyway, I can guarantee you you won't find another hard disk player as small as the iPod and for as good value. $559 without student discount for the 60 gig and $540 delivered from Apple with the student discount.

Although if you don't care about size or battery life, there's always things like this:

http://flashmemory-store.stores.yahoo.n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -60gb.html

Hahahaha. Cheaper, but massive.

Edit: the Creative Zen Xtra is cheaper than the iPod by about $50 if you shop around, but is massive in comparison.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Yeah, as I said in the original post, physical size doesn't concern me, as it will be in my backpack at all times anyway (which is why I want a little remote, as it will also minimise handling and therefore chances of droppage/breakage).

USB charger is mainly annoying because I don't leave my PC on at night, so that's why I want to charge it at the wall.

So far, the leader of the pack is this device: the Cowon/JetAudio iAudio X5L.

Reviews and product specs make it sound great (sound quality is apparently the best of any device, plays mp3s, ogg, wma, flac, etc.), drag'n'drop file transfer, etc., but I have never heard of the brand and don't know how available it is locally (and if, heaven forbid, it needs repairs, that could suck). I should note it's also apparently pretty sucky for video playback, but pfft PSP > * in that regard so that's a non-issue.
Headphones it comes with also suck, apparently, but again, I'd rather my own (assuming I can get that remote thing for it).
mech

Post by mech »

Fuck Seraph, did you even use the price crawler URL I gave you?

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/sea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... iaudio+X5L

Sounds like a rip-off.

30G iPod is 104 x 61 x 11mm and 136g, this thing is 103.7 X 60.8 X 18.3 mm and 180g.

But if you want to pay $140 for a larger device, go ahead. A charger plug for your usb cable isn't going to cost you $140 :) But if a remote and drag and drop is that important to you...

Make sure you actually try it out first if you can, because usability issues can destroy things that sound great on paper (like incredibly slow loading times, etc).
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

I'm adding another vote for the iriver H340. Build quality is like a brick, drag and drop support, you will get a cradle but you can charge it at the wall too, MP3/OGG/WMA/ASF/WAV support. Also has text function, although the screen is a bit small for prolonged reading. Only thing really missing is a LCD remote to see the song titles if you're keeping it in your bag, but I think you can do a search and get one elsewhere. Does have a regular remote, though. It has the best options for recording of any player out there, full stop (that was the main consideration when I bought it on behalf of someone).

The website doesn't say much about it, but it's still available at JB.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Fuck, mech, no I didn't. :D I assumed it was iPod only, iven the context of the post.

Now that I look at the site, I notice that the iPod starts at 421 bucks while the X5L starts at 529 bucks. Hundred bucks seems reasonable for the extra things it has.

I appreciate the help you've given, as it's always good to see another person's POV on things like this. But for me, multi-format support, drag'n'drop functionality, remote support, away-from-PC charging, and the ability to quickly take it from one PC to another with minimal software setup are important features, whereas physical size and drop-resistance aren't. I personally find the listed features to be worth the hundred extra bucks they are asking for - but as you said, the real dealbreaker will be how convenient/cumbersome the device's OS is. Mind you, if the remote works then I won't need anything other than volume up/down and play/pause/prev/next.

Time to do some old-fashioned legwork. Who knows, I might find another, better player while I'm looking.

Edit: Looks like I'll have to look at this iriver thing too, thanks :)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I'm with you on the Itunes hate/drop'n'drag love. I tried it at the suggestion of an apple fanboy and was eager to uninstall it a week later, just got in my way with its 'advantages'. I just have too much music coming in at a constant rate to be tagging things pedantically just so i can use the program as effectively as I used winamp. That is my experience with the program and it wont change so I'm not looking for any sort of arguement here, thats just what Itunes is to me.
mech

Post by mech »

iTunes is indeed shit, but tagging your MP3s correctly isn't. There are automatic program to do it, and if you're doing things legally (like I am) it's not an issue anyway, because CDDB fills out the details when you rip the CD. Wah wah wah.

Anyway, like I said, plenty of iTunes alternatives.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Legally? There are people who actually have legitimate MP3s? :shrugging:

I've backed up a few CDs i had from years ago. But 99% of my MP3s aren't exactly legal :redface:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I have the older H140 iriver and I use rockbox and it's awesome. Personally the sound quality out of the iriver is a lot better than the ipods i've listened too, i love my ogg and the rockbox firmware it's very cool. Plus I'm not a fan of using tags to sort/find music. I have my mp3's structered in a folder structure and i find that much better to find my music. I've had it for 2+ years now and it still goes hard, great 5 year lithium polymer battery in it versus the lithium ion batteries that have a shorter life.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

mech wrote:iTunes is indeed shit, but tagging your MP3s correctly isn't. There are automatic program to do it, and if you're doing things legally (like I am) it's not an issue anyway, because CDDB fills out the details when you rip the CD. Wah wah wah.

Anyway, like I said, plenty of iTunes alternatives.
Part of my collection is a 1500+ assortment of videogame remixes from http://www.ocremix.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, so there's not really a legal "buy from iTunes/rip from cd" option.

Damn, more and more this iRiver 340H is sounding like the go. Sort by file and folder structure, you say? :D
mech

Post by mech »

If those people didn't tag those MP3s correctly they should be shot*.

That's a bit gross that 1500 songs from your collection are video game song remixes tho :/

*Scolded.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Have you heard alot of music from that site Mech?

I have more than Seraph does, sure some of them are bad but there is ALOT of really really good stuff there, it's nice to listen to sometimes.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

oh, so we're gonna start paying people out for their taste in music now, eh?

Well mech...

I have a lot of VG tracks,
And it seems my legal stance is lax,
but I aint no Hollerback Girl,
I aint no Hollerback Girl.

I'd ditch iTunes for drag'n'drop,
But my songlist won't attract the cops,
And I aint no Hollerback Girl,
No, I aint no Hollerback Girl.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

ZING!!!
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Harsh, but fair.

I wonder if Mech has heard any good OC remixes, some of them are really brilliant and I'd say better than alot of official game music released these days.
mxlegend99
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Seraph wrote:oh, so we're gonna start paying people out for their taste in music now, eh?

Well mech...

Burn. :rollin:
mech

Post by mech »

Sonic Jam wrote:Have you heard alot of music from that site Mech?

I have more than Seraph does, sure some of them are bad but there is ALOT of really really good stuff there, it's nice to listen to sometimes.
Mmmm that may well be, 1500 songs is a lot though. I only have around 3800 songs on my iPod. But then I paid for almost all of mine and get rid of the chaff so my standards might be a bit different.

Awww, Seraph made a song for me <3
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Seraph wrote:oh, so we're gonna start paying people out for their taste in music now, eh?

Well mech...

Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Well I doubt you would keep the entire OC Remix collection on your IPOD at any given moment, but the number is easy to reach considering how many are available at the site.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Go Creative mate. Great quality, good price and easy to use. You will not regret it.

Have a look at the Creative Zen line mate.

Will post a good one later when im at home.

ZEN Vision M

ZEN Touch..(my choice)