What music are you listening to at the mo bro?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: What music are you listening to at the mo bro?

Post by unfnknblvbl »

OK guys, you know me. I like metal. I like rock. I like my music to be loud and heavy. Yeah? That shit fucking rocks my word.

Now, I'm going to talk about something of an anomaly in my musical tastes. I know I've talked about this chickieboo a bit here in the past, but I'll do it again.

Basia Bulat.

I like artists that don't use autotune. I appreciate real artists who write their own music... but I don't normally go for this folksy indie stuff, but I really, really like this chick.

She first came to my attention in a fucking Volkswagen Eos commercial of all things. The Australian version of the ad had a brief refrain from a song off her first album Oh, My Darling. This somehow got stuck in my head for ages, so I had to look her up and download the whole album.

Turns out it wasn't a mistake. Her first album is full of wonderfully melodic, and thoroughly delightful folky music. From the opening of the first track to the end of the whole album, it's full of wonderfully listenable tunes that you just want to hit the 'repeat' button for each one. She used unusual instruments throughout the whole album, and it just made the experience all the more special. I mean, I'd never even heard of an autoharp before this chick, and now I want one of my own!

A couple of years later, she released her second album, Heart of My Own.
This sophomore effort was almost nothing like the debut album. There were rollicking beats and lilting melodies aplenty. Bulat's vocals had really come into their own, and she had seemingly put a band together between the albums and was putting them to full use, while still using the weird, unheard-of instruments. The lead single of the album, "Gold Rush" was an excellent showcase of her new style; a thumping drumbeat pounding away under a rich contralto performing vocal acrobatics. Compare this this later, with a musically sparse "The Shore" which used a weird hammered autoharp thingie, or the bonus a capella track "Hush", and we have another great album full of musical and stylistic contrasts.

In 2013, she released Tall Tall Shadow.
I think it's fair to say that this is a troubled album. Thematically, it seems to make little sense, and the music is dark and strange. The title track is really quite excellent, but from there the album seems to get bogged down in a pit of self-examination. It has a few highs, and many great moments, but it's ultimately a murky musical journey that suddenly becomes clear when you listen to the last track, "From Now On." This is a kind of musical coda that serves to underscore the rest of the album - title and all - and encourage an immediate relisten (not that I understood it much better the second time through...).

Basia Bulat is an incredibly talented musician, songwriter, and vocalist. She has wonderfully rich contralto voice that somehow speaks to my very soul. Against all odds, she's become one of my very favourite artists ever.
What makes me like her even more is that her live performances (of which there are plentiful recordings of on Youtube) are often vastly different to her album recordings. Many of them sound like whole new songs, as she breaks them down to different instruments and solo performances.

A few days ago, she released her fourth album, Good Advice
The good news is that she's moved on from that weird neoexperimental stuff that comprised the third album. She hasn't ditched it completely, but used it to enhance her already considerable songwriting talents. The second track, "Long Goodbye" actually manages to make me feel like I'm listening to a real-instruments version of some 16bit-era chiptunes at times, and this happens a few times on the album. Not bad for a folk-rock chick.

Guys, I think everybody should have a listen to Basia Bulat. She's amazingly talented, stylistically diverse, and criminally unrecognised.

The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Not sure what prompted me back to this band.. the first song I ever heard from them is fucking amazing though. Coupled with this film clip it is absolutely fantastic. I cannot rave about it enough.
Their full album is great also
Kwoon - Tales and Dreams
I just bought their 2009 album - When the Flowers were Singing.
Loving it also - Great Escape and Frozen Bird have been the stand outs for me so far but I think it's a fuller album than their previous one. I bought it on itunes which is something I NEVER do.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Back in 1994 ( I checked, don't worry, my memory is not that good) my best mate bought Sometime Anywhere, by The Church. He's always been a fanatic when it comes to them. I listened to that album, it's a good album. But there's this song. It's one of my all time favourite songs ever. To this day I cannot work out what the girl says at the end and I have a feeling it's probably the actual meaning of life, but because I can't figure it out, that great awakening eludes me.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

One new release and several LTTP pick ups.

Toothgrinder - Nocturnal Masquerade. Normally I don't like albums with predominantly harsh vocals, but this one just does it for me.
In The Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad. A 2013 vintage album which I'm amazed it took me this long to find (I think it was mentioned randomly on Reddit in /r/progmetal)
Voyager - V. Known about them for ages but never took the jump, decided to as they have a new album coming out this year. Hooky melodic metal.
Nothing More - Nothing More. More straightforward commercial-rock style than I usually listen to, but was in the mood for it and enjoy the album.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

shit, what a song.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Violent Soho - Waco

This album is good fun. It's pretty much 90's/00's punk rock, but they're from Brisbane so that makes it even better.

Deftones - Gore

Their best album since White Pony (which is massive), and I can't see any album topping this in 2016. A grower, and fucking awesome.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

R.I.P Prince :(

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Prince... This one hits really hard. He was my childhood. My young adulthood and my life up to now. He influenced so much of what I listen to. He was a genius. There have never been nor will there ever be anyone like him. He influenced the shape of music like almost no one else. So I'm listening to Prince. :cry:
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

I'm not a fan of Prince, but i have always enjoyed his music. I can respect him and he is a true musical genius, unlike that overated douche today who runs around claiming he is a musical genius.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Around the World in A Day will always be one of my favourite albums. :(
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, this one hits a bit hard. As much as I like Jackson and Bowie, Prince was better.
Game. Blouses.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

On topic though, I've been listening to a LOT of Ween lately.
Those first three albums, GodWeenSatan, The Pod, and Pure Guava, fucking genius all three.

And just because, PUSH THE LITTLE DAISIES AND MAKE EM COME UP.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Ween. :up:
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Ween were of course huge fans of Prince. Yesterday I listened to L.M.L.Y.P. out of respect.

"by far, hands down the greatest living guitarist in any genre-Prince Rogers Nelson. Prince does so many things well that it’s easy to forget that he is also a world class shredder." - Dean Ween
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I was 12 when I first heard Push the Little Daisies and I was convinced it was the worst song ever made. Fast forward to today, and there are obviously many worse songs on the planet. However, it is still a piece of shit.

Regards, Madmya.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Haven't listened to Batman from Prince in a while. Loved it as a kid. Still love it today. Really under appreciated album in my opinion. And fuck could Prince wail on that guitar. He also slapped a mean bass!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Well I didn't like Prince initially based on his image, I only remember liking ELO. But when I was 14 the kid who lived up the road played me this song because at our age, it was a pretty dirty song, I guess. Sold!

Mya, the first time I heard it PTLD, I thought "what an utter piece of shit". Then I heard it again. It's genius. I loved these two songs too when I heard them.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Mutiliated Lips is such a brilliant song. And the album The Mollusk - back in '97 and my 16th Birthday, and had some bday money to spend- enough to buy an album. I was tossing up between that and OK Computer. I chose the latter and well, Ok Computer and Radiohead have dominated my musical tastes ever since. Only a few years ago did I finally get around to getting The Mollusk. It's a great album, but I definitely think I made the right choice at the time.

And speaking of Radiohead...
:nana: :up: :nana: :up:
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Bought a new record player and setup. Been playing some Mad Season

Mad Season recorded last year with Seattle Symphony. Chris Cornell replaced Layne Staley
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I was discussing the Axl Rose leading ACDC thing with my wife the other day and I said the best choice they could have made was get Chris Cornell as their new lead. Either way, Axl might smash it and be awesome. I don't really care, I'm not a fan anyway. But it should have been Cornell if they could have gotten him on board.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCK.

I want to BUY 2 Ween albums - GodWeen Satan and The Pod. I've got my credit card on my belly ready to go.
Do you think I've got a hope in fucking hell?
Because they're old and obscure - nowhere on the *non-official* places either.

FUCK THIS SHIT. Like I said, we're regressing back to waiting for Footy scores on Sunday afternoon.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Both albums are on Amazon, iTunes, and the torrents (search for discography - no-one's gonna upload one album).
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

no seeds on KAT for the Ween Discography...that was the only place I looked though.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

On Google Play music too.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Thanks for the tips guys.
We can't buy music off Amazon. Discography torrent is unseeded. I didn't even know Google music was a thing - I'll have to check into that.
I ended up paying the big $$$ on iTunes for them. I wanted to avoid that, as I want to play them on my android phone. But I fucked around and got some other app called Rocket Player that can play M4A's.
All Ween'd up.
:nana: