Good, reasonably priced headphones?

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ben
Southpoor

Good, reasonably priced headphones?

Post by Ben »

A mate of mine just picked up these headphones, http://www.skullcandy.com/product_info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... cts_id=498 and they look pretty decent, well aesthetically they looked nice, but readinga couple of reviews they seem like they mightn't be all that great. (well actually it's just bass response mainly I suppose...)

I tried them with my PSP and they seemed a little quiet but otherwise OK... and having no luck in the past with headphones (picked up some shitty ones from EB for $25 in a 2 for $50 sale, even @ $25 they weren't worth it and were promptly returned) and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations?

Around the $100 mark I guess I'd be looking.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Koss KSC-35s are far and away the best cheap headphones i've ever used, they actually sound better than a pair of $200+ headphones I had (so I sold them).

If you can't find them, go for the KSC-75s. Almost as good.

Should be able to get 'em for $40-50.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Hmm, know of any over the head, headphones? I've never been a fan of the clip on style personally.
I see the Sennheiser name thrown about a bit, but mostly in reference to their $900 pair of headphones, anyone know if the lower end stuff holds up aswell?

Looking at those KSC-35s now, I think my brother might actually have a pair of those... wil have to try them out, see if it can't change my opinion.

cheers for the suggestion though :)
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Dude, anything called "Skullcandy" would be shit, take it from me. IMO, the Sennheiser HD25s are awesome, but you're looking at paying around $350 for 'em. I think you can get them cheaper online, but definitely worth searching for... they have bottom-end up the wazoo!

PS Whatever you do, DON'T get the HD25 SP cans... terrible.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

A guy here at work raves about the AKG K26P headphones. Says they are as good as headphones worth hundreds of dollars for about $80

Anyone know anything about these?
RIGHTEOUS FURY
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

i recommend spending as much as possible on headphones, it's the sort of thing where the money you spend you are rewarded for in the form of build quality, comfort, sound quality and overall satisfaction.

i have 2000 dollars worth of headphone.

hearing loss hear i come.

spend 250 plus on a pair of either technics (or panasonic), Sony, Seinheiser etc and you're going to have a sweet piece of kit.
-------------------------------------
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

2K???? WTF???
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yeah looking through the Sennheiser range the HD515 or HD555 look like they'd be my bag, they look solid and comfy too. I just hope they'll be loud enough for portable stuff like my PSP & iPod etc. Though reading a couple of reviews they might be more suited for movie watching rather than games/music.

It's hard to know what to believe though so I'll be looking around on Thursday when it's late-night shopping to see if I can get an idea of what might appeal to me. Sennheiser sounds to have a good rep so I'll start there and see what they have to offer first.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Sennies are good, as are Pioneer/Technics and Sony
Been DJing for 12 years, have used Sony, Pioneer and Sennies. (and blown them all up!)
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Texas wrote:Sennies are good, as are Pioneer/Technics and Sony
Been DJing for 12 years, have used Sony, Pioneer and Sennies. (and blown them all up!)
:lol:

Well I won't be cranking mine that hard so hopefully once I get a pair they'll last me a decent while. I'm just sick of using these absolutely shit ipod standard earphones.. argh..

I broke an okay pair of Sony earphones that I had a while ago because I was exercising hard and some sweat got into the earpieces and yeah, screwed them up. But I don't have any other replacements bar the ipod ones (which I don't mind fucking up exercising, but having to use them all the time is irritating me and I've always wanted a nice pair of headphones.
Texas

Post by Texas »

You want the in-ear type, yeah?
Gr8ness

Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Texas wrote:You want the in-ear type, yeah?

Nah I want over the ear style like this;

I was just saying that I've only had earphones in the past because they were more convenient, but I want to gun some big nice headphones now.

.... unless I've confused terminology. I always refer to earphones as these;

and headphones as above. :)
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Anyone use canalphones?
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

I own a pair of Etymotic 6isolators, great for plane trips due to their noise isolation, just takes a bit to get used to having things shoved up your canals.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

pilonv1 wrote:Anyone use canalphones?
I have a pair of Shure e4g's, they're fantastic but a particular sound (not mega bassy).

They are sound isolating canalphones and block a shiteload of sound out when you get a good seal (with practice). Great for commuting, shit for crossing the street if you not paying attention to visual cues!!!
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

That's what I'm after, I was thinking of the Sennheiser ones that are around $70, which is what I'm looking to pay.
flipswitch
que
que

Re: Good, reasonably priced headphones?

Post by flipswitch »

Just bought a pair of sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones.All other models of different headphones I wanted were out of stock.
Payed $148.99 plus $19 shipping (received it the next day)and it was still cheaper than JB's$195.

Build quality is ok, happy with the sound but the headphones do clamp your head a bit, so I wouldn't recommend wearing them for long sessions.

'twas listening to some soundtracks, such as Brad Fiedel's T1 & T2 score and they sounded fantastic, it was an amazing experience!.

I also bought them to plug into my guitar amp.

Amazon has them for like $99.95 if you're up to waiting a bit longer for them.

Overall I was very happy with them.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Can I pop in here to pimp the Comply foam tips for in-ear headphones? Means you always get a good seal, AND they're 10x more comfortable than the plastic tips.

Got the apple in-ear headphones on the advice of a friend (hint: hugely overpriced, don't get them), improved frequency response across the board, not to mention isolation 100x better with the foam tips.

http://www.complyfoam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DOOOO ITTTTTT
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I saw those when I was ordering my new Audio Technica's last night

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?search=comply+400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's the difference between models?
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

I...have no idea. Mine are the rounded on the ends ones. I think the other ones might be for people with bigger ears or something?

Here's the info page: https://www.complyfoam.com/premium-earphone-tips/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine don't have the wax guard thing, they don't really need it - the main issue is wax on the outside, but you just pop them off and (carefully) wash them with detergent and warm water.

So worth it. I'd probably base my next headphone buying decision around these things. Isolation works great on a plane too, I have noise-reducing TDK things, in-ear and everything...and I prefer using these instead.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Got my headphones today, they do come with a pair of them that look like they don't have a wax guard either. Will try them out tonight and see how they go.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

What AT headphones did you get? I've got a pair of ATH-M50s that I've had for ages... thinking it's time to upgrade.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

These ones for commuting

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also got the AD-700s for home use.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I can't use those ear canal headphones, they make me want to vomit. It's the strangest sensation :(