Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Post by amba »

Now that the PS3 and the 360 HD-DVD addon are about to come out, thought it might be time to share high- def reviews. Put your flame wars somewhere else- this thread is about the movies, rather than the formats.

Will list my movies later, but... Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is worth importing from the UK (not available in the US yet)... the picture and sound quality is so much better than the standard definition, it's the first 'double up' for me.

A pleasant suprise was The Adventures of Robin Hood (the Errol Flynn one)... perfect Saturday afternoon movie. Plus has 2 classic WB cartoons as extras. :)

The Departed arrived last week... haven't watched yet.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Post by Twiztid Elf »

amba wrote: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is worth importing from the UK (not available in the US yet)... the picture and sound quality is so much better than the standard definition,
But the movie is still crap though right?
vision
Conspiracy Theorist
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by vision »

Superman Returns on Xbox Live
Mission Impossible III thanks to Easynews
Also had Made in hidef but stupid XBL timed out early even though I checked it the day before I wanted to watch it :evil:
vision
Conspiracy Theorist
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by vision »

btw the first two looked awesome. Love having a 1080p TV, esp for only $1000.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Twiztid Elf wrote:But the movie is still crap though right?
Story wise, I preferred it to the previous one; although the cinematography in the Prisoner of Azkaban was technically better, I found it a bit cold.

But there is a danger of the next movie turning into teenage pap.

Okay, movie list.

The Adventures of Robin Hood
Ant Bully
Blazing Saddles
Casablanca
Clerks II
Corpse Bride
The Departed
Good Night and Good Luck
Goodfellas
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Last Samurai
Lucky # Slevin (Wrong Man)
Mission: Impossible 3 pack
Poseidon
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I just ordered these from amazon.

The Chronicles of Riddick
Pitch Black (Unrated)
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
V for Vendetta
Batman Begins

Should arrive in time for when the hd-dvd addon gets released here. :up:
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

No Terminator 2? Both of you fail.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Already have it. Plus the only hd-dvd version is the french one. Bluray, different story.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I wanna pick up total recall and the rambo collection locally here on hd-dvd. T2 isn't listed for release on any format locally, I'm not sure who has distribution rights, might be studio canal/universal I think. In the US liongate have distro rights and it's on bluray. Although i hear the studio canal release is a better transfer.

Yep just checked T2 is universal here, also true lies is universal too. Now that's another arnie flick I'd love to get in HD.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

amba wrote:
Twiztid Elf wrote:But the movie is still crap though right?
Story wise, I preferred it to the previous one; although the cinematography in the Prisoner of Azkaban was technically better, I found it a bit cold.
The story is great but the problem is that there was two movies worth of stuff crammed into 2 and a bit hours. Plus they had that stupid fucking Dragon chasing him go forever that I don't remember in the book.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

vision wrote:btw the first two looked awesome. Love having a 1080p TV, esp for only $1000.
It's a fridge not a tv.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

As soon as I upgrade my TV, and it'll be a big upgrade, Superman Returns will be the first HD-DVD I buy.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

lestat wrote:I just ordered these from amazon... The Chronicles of Riddick...
Why?

Looking at getting the HD-DVD add on when it comes out... will nab Superman Returns and Serenity as my first two movies.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Darwi wrote:
lestat wrote:I just ordered these from amazon... The Chronicles of Riddick...
Why?

Looking at getting the HD-DVD add on when it comes out... will nab Superman Returns and Serenity as my first two movies.
Why?

Because I like those movies. Both Riddick films are sensational imo, I think he's a great character and chronicles is meant to be one of the finest examples of hd on the format. The Mummy flicks are just great fun, both films too have lots of nice effects and would be great to watch in HD.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Pitch Black is pretty ordinary but I really like The Chronicles of Riddick.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I also just ordered black hawk down and kung fu hustle on bluray. They're having a 50% off on some bluray titles at amazon.

http://bluray.lindsite.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To find out which ones are region free.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Oh god now you've gone and done it!
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

lestat wrote:
Darwi wrote:Why?
Why?

Because I like those movies. Both Riddick films are sensational imo, I think he's a great character and chronicles is meant to be one of the finest examples of hd on the format. The Mummy flicks are just great fun, both films too have lots of nice effects and would be great to watch in HD.
I'll take the finest examples of HD answer.

Pitch Black is one of my all time favourite films... but Chronicles is up there with Highlander 2 in terms of sequels that not only suck... but also ruin the premise of the original.

You didn't have to justify the Mummy films... good fun they were... and they had the added bonus of birthing the Scorpion King.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Darwi wrote: You didn't have to justify the Mummy films... good fun they were... and they had the added bonus of birthing the Scorpion King.
And a new wave of fence sitters have just become Pro Choice.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:I wanna pick up total recall and the rambo collection locally here on hd-dvd.
Total Recall ftw! I've never found it easy to find on DVD, aside from a lacksture version, like the early dvd's that came out when everyone was sticking them straight freom VHS to DVD. Ram picked up some 5 disc Arnie set with T2, TR, Red Sonja, True Lies and Red Heat I think for about $25-30NZ. Bargain.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

t0mby wrote:
lestat wrote:I wanna pick up total recall and the rambo collection locally here on hd-dvd.
Total Recall ftw! I've never found it easy to find on DVD, aside from a lacksture version, like the early dvd's that came out when everyone was sticking them straight freom VHS to DVD. Ram picked up some 5 disc Arnie set with T2, TR, Red Sonja, True Lies and Red Heat I think for about $25-30NZ. Bargain.
That's no bargain, Raw Deal and Red Sonja suck balls.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Chronicles of Riddick is excellent - but is the HDDVD version the Director's Cut? That made it much much better.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Scullibundo wrote:
t0mby wrote:
That's no bargain, Raw Deal and Red Sonja suck balls.
True, but the other 3 dont, so $8 each plus two free Arnie coffee coasters!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Candy Arse wrote:Chronicles of Riddick is excellent - but is the HDDVD version the Director's Cut? That made it much much better.
Yes. Unrated Director's Cut.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

When the Termintor series (T1, T2)comes to HD-DVD/BLU-RAY, it will be the day I pick up the next gen movie format.I would like to get the HD-DVD add on which is out locally very soon. Just a few questions which I hope hasn't been answered regarding HD-DVD.

Do you have to have your x360 on when you use the HD-DVD drive? (probably a stupid question) reason why I'm asking is well firstly the electricity bill :) and second the x360 makes enough noise as it is.

Does it plug into the USB drive? and is HD-DVD region free?

Is there any aus websites dedicated with movie releases/info/reviews on it?