Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Really? I'll have to check that out, I skipeed to the next episode when the credits rolled.

And yes how fuckin awesome was that shark :D
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Who in Sydney are actually stocking HD-DVD in stores?

This is actually a serious question because I really want to check out the latest releases on HD-DVD.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Yeah, good luck with that.

HD-DVD is even more fucked than Blu-Ray in Australia. Don't think it's even officially launched here yet...?
mech

Post by mech »

Oh, they were going to have a relaunch that never happened.

http://blogs.theage.com.au/fastforward/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ssing.html
Back in March, Toshiba's general manager of its information systems division, Mark Whittard, told me HD DVD would re-launch in Australia on April 1.

"From the first of April we [local HD DVD sellers] will be broadening the distribution of the products ... [and] promoting very heavily," he said, adding that Toshiba - the main backer of HD DVD - would then introduce its second stand-alone HD DVD player, the $1599 HD-XE1.

Around the same time, Liz van Hooven, managing director of another HD DVD backer, Universal Pictures Australia, said additional HD DVD players would hit the market during the first quarter of this year.

That didn't happen. There is still only one stand-alone HD DVD player on the market, Toshiba's HD-E1, not counting the HD DVD add-on for the Xbox 360.

Further, there are far more Blu-ray movies available to buy from Australian stores than there are HD DVD flicks, and I haven't seen one local ad for HD DVD yet (although that doesn't mean they don't exist).

By contrast, there are at least four different Blu-ray players available, and a local Blu-ray consortium is streamlining promotions among all Blu-ray partners.

In March, Whittard told me a similar consortium for HD DVD was being created, but it's unclear whether that went ahead either.

While it's understandable manufacturers would be hesitant to go all out with HD DVD or Blu-ray at such an early stage (demand, after all, isn't exactly skyrocketing), it irks me that Whittard made those promises in March when he most likely knew there was little chance of making true on them by April.

So I approached him about it this week. He said the HD DVD re-launch delays stemmed from the recent handing over of Toshiba's local audio-visual business from distributor Castel to Toshiba Australia, which was delayed "due to final contractual negotiations".

"In regards to our promotional plans a major media campaign is scheduled throughout the next few months," he said.

"Announcements regarding our go to market, promotional plans and launch activities will be progressively made over the June/July timeframe."

I'm not holding my breath.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

i've had planet earth for a while now, I love docos.
I won't watch it again though... ebay time.

the intro shows most of the best scenes from the series.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Talez wrote:Who in Sydney are actually stocking HD-DVD in stores?

This is actually a serious question because I really want to check out the latest releases on HD-DVD.
I saw an HD DVD at Target once. But if you want to check out the latest releases, go to amazon.com.
mech

Post by mech »

Hmmm, looks like the "Planet Earth Diaries" thing is just on the DVD box set or some shit? Poor form.

Also these discs are Blu-Ray 25s - booo-urns.

Aaaand it shits me when some material is obviously SD.

Still awesome though.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

No point in it being on BD50s since they only wanted to do 1 transfer for both HD DVD and BRD I guess?

Some content is indeed SD, but it's a very small ammount, most of it is extremely awesome.

No idea what that other thing you mentioned is.
mech

Post by mech »

Planet Earth Diaries = making of I was talking about. It's mentioned in the Amazon listing for this.
mech

Post by mech »

Watched Letters from Iwo Jima today. Amazing movie, I highly recommend it.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

So I did my tax today, ordered the HD DVD addon from dvdcrave.....pre-ordered 300 and Face off ( Amazon.com ) and Batman Begins.

Virgin Stores and Some Myer stores have HD DVD and Blu-ray on special at the moment!!...2 for $50!!!!....I bought The Mummy and The Mummy Returns...bargain!!!!

edit: The virgin store I went to had HD DVD and the Myer store I went too had HD DVD & Blu-Ray
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
mech

Post by mech »

mech wrote:So I got the Fifth Element and "Nine Inch Nails - Beside You in Time" on Blu-Ray yesterday.

Fifth Element looks barely better than DVD, at best. Very crappy transfer, looks like it was copied from old, used film, and the bit rate is woeful - around 15-16 meg usually, i.e. not that much better than DVD (while trying to encode a 1080p signal using MPEG2, ugh), and it's only a 25 gig Blu-Ray. Quite disappointing, but at least it was cheap.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... d_i=404332

You think you're pretty funny, don't you Sony?
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Wait... so they had an original release of Fifth Element on BR, then they remastered it and released THAT?

Fucking joke.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Watched Total Recall on the weekend- pure fun, not a bad transfer (not a great one either). There have been some reports on issues with the audio but seeing as I haven't seen it in a decade, I can't comment on that.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

They are swapping the old Fifth Ellements over for the new ones for free if you send it to them actualy, it's not a joke it's been handled perfectly if you ask me.

I guess you would preffer them leave it as a shitty transfer forever? It was a launch blu ray so I'm cutting them some slack on the original shit transfer.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Looking at the pics sonic on avs, the new version doesn't look much better. Doesn't seem like the created a new master, just re encoded it with high bitrate avc. Just lacks the punch we've seen in recent hd releases. If you picked up an old copy it's good news, otherwise it's probably better to wait for a better transfer they'll do down the line.

Anyways I'm not buying hd movies anymore. I don't know if I've mentioned this but I've been using http://www.quickflix.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my hd movie needs. They have every single bluray/hd-dvd released locally and that's how I've been checking out the latest blurays/hd-dvds. It's a pretty good service, for around $37 bucks a month I get around 12 hd movies a month. I could be more aggressive with my viewing/returns and get more monthly but i don't have the time too.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Sonic Jam wrote:They are swapping the old Fifth Ellements over for the new ones for free if you send it to them actualy, it's not a joke it's been handled perfectly if you ask me.
Oh, I had no idea... I just assumed they were double-dipping or something. That's alright then :)
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Fifth Element was a 2.39:1 Super 35mm print so it wasn't exactly off to a good start.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Toshiba A2 players are US$99 for this week only.

:lol: How desperate are Toshiba getting to get these things out there? :D

They're still not sure if its a general thing or just for show atendees though. Either way it's still hilarious.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

It's for people going to the home media expo only Talez. But it does suggest that rrp for players by year end could drop to $199. You can laugh all you want, but the mass market is in that sub $200 price point. Honestly neither hd format is going to even dare challenge dvd until price points for players drop to that level and lower. Same goes for the movies themselves, prices of discs need to drop too.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Picked up the fast and the furios and the mummy from the 2 for $50 deal at all sanity stores on hd dvd, good transfers too.
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

So Sanity are doing the 2 for 50 as well as Virgin?, its a pity that it is only a limited selection you can pick from, Batman Begins should of been in there ffs!!
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Yeah i would of grabbed that in a flash.
Mightycooper
The Sorrow

Post by Mightycooper »

I watched The Matrix the other night on HD DVD. Im not up with all the technical talk with transfers etc and this is the first HD dvd i have watched through but i was impressed with the jump over DVD quaility. The movie looked sensational, i cant wait to watch the other 2 movies in the trilogy.
Theres a technique for everything
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

just ordered T2 ( french version ) on hd dvd, it comes with the theatrical version with forced french subtitles on disc 1 and on disc 2, extended version with NO forced subtitles at all as well as Equilibrium ( Japanese version ) with no forced subtitles. Take advantage of the high aussie dollar!!.

If anyone wants to have a look, the site is....

http://www.xploitedcinema.com