View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 Dec 2017 09:39 am



Reply to topic  [ 1307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 Hi- def movies you've seen lately 
Author Message
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:58 am
Posts: 929
Location: Melbourne
Now that the PS3 and the 360 HD-DVD addon are about to come out, thought it might be time to share high- def reviews. Put your flame wars somewhere else- this thread is about the movies, rather than the formats.

Will list my movies later, but... Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is worth importing from the UK (not available in the US yet)... the picture and sound quality is so much better than the standard definition, it's the first 'double up' for me.

A pleasant suprise was The Adventures of Robin Hood (the Errol Flynn one)... perfect Saturday afternoon movie. Plus has 2 classic WB cartoons as extras. :)

The Departed arrived last week... haven't watched yet.

_________________
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]


06 Mar 2007 12:00 pm
Profile
Team Wowboy
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 05:59 pm
Posts: 6510
Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
amba wrote:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is worth importing from the UK (not available in the US yet)... the picture and sound quality is so much better than the standard definition,

But the movie is still crap though right?


06 Mar 2007 05:30 pm
Profile
Conspiracy Theorist
Conspiracy Theorist
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 02:01 am
Posts: 119
Post 
Superman Returns on Xbox Live
Mission Impossible III thanks to Easynews
Also had Made in hidef but stupid XBL timed out early even though I checked it the day before I wanted to watch it :evil:


06 Mar 2007 05:36 pm
Profile
Conspiracy Theorist
Conspiracy Theorist
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 02:01 am
Posts: 119
Post 
btw the first two looked awesome. Love having a 1080p TV, esp for only $1000.


06 Mar 2007 05:37 pm
Profile
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:58 am
Posts: 929
Location: Melbourne
Twiztid Elf wrote:
But the movie is still crap though right?


Story wise, I preferred it to the previous one; although the cinematography in the Prisoner of Azkaban was technically better, I found it a bit cold.

But there is a danger of the next movie turning into teenage pap.

Okay, movie list.

The Adventures of Robin Hood
Ant Bully
Blazing Saddles
Casablanca
Clerks II
Corpse Bride
The Departed
Good Night and Good Luck
Goodfellas
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Last Samurai
Lucky # Slevin (Wrong Man)
Mission: Impossible 3 pack
Poseidon

_________________
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]


06 Mar 2007 05:48 pm
Profile
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jul 2006 11:15 pm
Posts: 10933
Location: Sydney
Gamertag: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: m00nwalker
Post 
I just ordered these from amazon.

The Chronicles of Riddick
Pitch Black (Unrated)
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
V for Vendetta
Batman Begins

Should arrive in time for when the hd-dvd addon gets released here. :up:


07 Mar 2007 05:48 am
Profile WWW
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:45 am
Posts: 9266
Post 
No Terminator 2? Both of you fail.


07 Mar 2007 08:16 am
Profile
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:58 am
Posts: 929
Location: Melbourne
Post 
Already have it. Plus the only hd-dvd version is the french one. Bluray, different story.

_________________
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]


07 Mar 2007 08:41 am
Profile
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jul 2006 11:15 pm
Posts: 10933
Location: Sydney
Gamertag: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: m00nwalker
Post 
I wanna pick up total recall and the rambo collection locally here on hd-dvd. T2 isn't listed for release on any format locally, I'm not sure who has distribution rights, might be studio canal/universal I think. In the US liongate have distro rights and it's on bluray. Although i hear the studio canal release is a better transfer.

Yep just checked T2 is universal here, also true lies is universal too. Now that's another arnie flick I'd love to get in HD.


07 Mar 2007 08:50 am
Profile WWW
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 11:08 am
Posts: 18400
Gamertag: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1
amba wrote:
Twiztid Elf wrote:
But the movie is still crap though right?


Story wise, I preferred it to the previous one; although the cinematography in the Prisoner of Azkaban was technically better, I found it a bit cold.


The story is great but the problem is that there was two movies worth of stuff crammed into 2 and a bit hours. Plus they had that stupid fucking Dragon chasing him go forever that I don't remember in the book.


07 Mar 2007 09:22 am
Profile
Immersion Patent Expert

Joined: 03 Jan 2007 06:05 pm
Posts: 4909
Post 
vision wrote:
btw the first two looked awesome. Love having a 1080p TV, esp for only $1000.


It's a fridge not a tv.


07 Mar 2007 10:29 am
Profile
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 02:16 am
Posts: 722
Post 
As soon as I upgrade my TV, and it'll be a big upgrade, Superman Returns will be the first HD-DVD I buy.


07 Mar 2007 07:40 pm
Profile
Obey your thirst
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2006 10:56 pm
Posts: 1658
Post 
lestat wrote:
I just ordered these from amazon... The Chronicles of Riddick...


Why?

Looking at getting the HD-DVD add on when it comes out... will nab Superman Returns and Serenity as my first two movies.


09 Mar 2007 08:03 am
Profile
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jul 2006 11:15 pm
Posts: 10933
Location: Sydney
Gamertag: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: m00nwalker
Post 
Darwi wrote:
lestat wrote:
I just ordered these from amazon... The Chronicles of Riddick...


Why?

Looking at getting the HD-DVD add on when it comes out... will nab Superman Returns and Serenity as my first two movies.

Why?

Because I like those movies. Both Riddick films are sensational imo, I think he's a great character and chronicles is meant to be one of the finest examples of hd on the format. The Mummy flicks are just great fun, both films too have lots of nice effects and would be great to watch in HD.


09 Mar 2007 08:18 am
Profile WWW
Immersion Patent Expert

Joined: 03 Jan 2007 06:05 pm
Posts: 4909
Post 
Pitch Black is pretty ordinary but I really like The Chronicles of Riddick.


09 Mar 2007 11:03 am
Profile
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jul 2006 11:15 pm
Posts: 10933
Location: Sydney
Gamertag: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: m00nwalker
Post 
I also just ordered black hawk down and kung fu hustle on bluray. They're having a 50% off on some bluray titles at amazon.

http://bluray.lindsite.dk/

To find out which ones are region free.


09 Mar 2007 03:20 pm
Profile WWW
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:59 am
Posts: 8090
Location: Hobart
Post 
Oh god now you've gone and done it!


09 Mar 2007 04:27 pm
Profile
Obey your thirst
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2006 10:56 pm
Posts: 1658
Post 
lestat wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Why?

Why?

Because I like those movies. Both Riddick films are sensational imo, I think he's a great character and chronicles is meant to be one of the finest examples of hd on the format. The Mummy flicks are just great fun, both films too have lots of nice effects and would be great to watch in HD.


I'll take the finest examples of HD answer.

Pitch Black is one of my all time favourite films... but Chronicles is up there with Highlander 2 in terms of sequels that not only suck... but also ruin the premise of the original.

You didn't have to justify the Mummy films... good fun they were... and they had the added bonus of birthing the Scorpion King.


10 Mar 2007 01:07 pm
Profile
The only seraph on the internet.
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 10:30 am
Posts: 2580
Gamertag: Seraphcon V
Post 
Darwi wrote:
You didn't have to justify the Mummy films... good fun they were... and they had the added bonus of birthing the Scorpion King.


And a new wave of fence sitters have just become Pro Choice.


10 Mar 2007 01:25 pm
Profile
Cheats
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:09 am
Posts: 18693
Location: 2113
Gamertag: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Mii: GenerationX_2k
Steam ID: Gen X
Post 
lestat wrote:
I wanna pick up total recall and the rambo collection locally here on hd-dvd.

Total Recall ftw! I've never found it easy to find on DVD, aside from a lacksture version, like the early dvd's that came out when everyone was sticking them straight freom VHS to DVD. Ram picked up some 5 disc Arnie set with T2, TR, Red Sonja, True Lies and Red Heat I think for about $25-30NZ. Bargain.

_________________
Image

selfish wrote:
Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.


Currently playing: Gran Turismo Sport


10 Mar 2007 08:38 pm
Profile WWW
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:45 am
Posts: 9266
Post 
t0mby wrote:
lestat wrote:
I wanna pick up total recall and the rambo collection locally here on hd-dvd.

Total Recall ftw! I've never found it easy to find on DVD, aside from a lacksture version, like the early dvd's that came out when everyone was sticking them straight freom VHS to DVD. Ram picked up some 5 disc Arnie set with T2, TR, Red Sonja, True Lies and Red Heat I think for about $25-30NZ. Bargain.


That's no bargain, Raw Deal and Red Sonja suck balls.


10 Mar 2007 08:48 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 19236
Post 
Chronicles of Riddick is excellent - but is the HDDVD version the Director's Cut? That made it much much better.

_________________
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]


10 Mar 2007 09:59 pm
Profile
Cheats
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 01:09 am
Posts: 18693
Location: 2113
Gamertag: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Mii: GenerationX_2k
Steam ID: Gen X
Post 
Scullibundo wrote:
t0mby wrote:
lestat wrote:
I wanna pick up total recall and the rambo collection locally here on hd-dvd.

Total Recall ftw! I've never found it easy to find on DVD, aside from a lacksture version, like the early dvd's that came out when everyone was sticking them straight freom VHS to DVD. Ram picked up some 5 disc Arnie set with T2, TR, Red Sonja, True Lies and Red Heat I think for about $25-30NZ. Bargain.


That's no bargain, Raw Deal and Red Sonja suck balls.

True, but the other 3 dont, so $8 each plus two free Arnie coffee coasters!

_________________
Image

selfish wrote:
Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.


Currently playing: Gran Turismo Sport


11 Mar 2007 01:18 am
Profile WWW
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:58 am
Posts: 929
Location: Melbourne
Post 
Candy Arse wrote:
Chronicles of Riddick is excellent - but is the HDDVD version the Director's Cut? That made it much much better.


Yes. Unrated Director's Cut.

_________________
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]


11 Mar 2007 07:59 am
Profile
que
que
User avatar

Joined: 08 Jul 2006 07:05 pm
Posts: 5475
Post 
When the Termintor series (T1, T2)comes to HD-DVD/BLU-RAY, it will be the day I pick up the next gen movie format.I would like to get the HD-DVD add on which is out locally very soon. Just a few questions which I hope hasn't been answered regarding HD-DVD.

Do you have to have your x360 on when you use the HD-DVD drive? (probably a stupid question) reason why I'm asking is well firstly the electricity bill :) and second the x360 makes enough noise as it is.

Does it plug into the USB drive? and is HD-DVD region free?

Is there any aus websites dedicated with movie releases/info/reviews on it?


11 Mar 2007 05:29 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.