Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

MiNiStRy wrote: Competition is good for the consumer.
If it breeds innovation. At the moment it's stagnating the market so that everyone is waiting for a result in the war before spending some decent money on quality HD titles.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

This is NOT THE FRICKEN GAMES INDUSTRY.

Sony are NOT t he exclusive backers of Blu Ray, the same way there isn't one company behind DVD.

There will be fuckloads of competition if there is only 1 format between the various companies making players and whatnot, once again THIS IS NOT THE GAMES INDUSTRY.

Plus if there is only 1 format the adoption rate will increase and the amount of movies released will increase, there are no negatives to a single format existing aside from early adopters of the other format not being able to buy new movies.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

So I got 300 on HD DVD the other day and about halfway through it freezes up and starts skipping. I checked on the net and apparently this is a common problem with 300 - has it happened to anyone else? I'm going to return it to Amazon for a refund - not going to risk a replacement.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I haven't tried mine yet. Is it a US release thing? I just bought mine here from ezydvd.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Is the Australian one a combo HD/DVD or just a HDDVD? They reckon the problem is due to it being a combo disc, so it might just be a US problem.

I didn't realise it was coming out locally, I would have just bought it here!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Came ouyt the same day as the US. Nah just a single jobby.

Now you have me worried about Hot Fuzz as that is a combo hd/dvd release.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Sonic Jam wrote:This is NOT THE FRICKEN GAMES INDUSTRY.

Sony are NOT t he exclusive backers of Blu Ray, the same way there isn't one company behind DVD.
Sony created blu-ray so there for they have all the exclusive rights to the format. I know there isn't one company behind it, but you only have to see in the stores over here that sony is the leader in getting the product out. How much money do you think they gave to jb to only sell blu-ray?

I wish that hd dvd had as much backing as blu ray, but with sony putting a lot of money into the ps3 and blu ray you can rest assured this format will come out on top. Sony don't want another beta flop on their hands
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

as awesome as 300 is, the fake film grain is kind of annoying. I understand the point of it, and made the film look great on the big screen, but on HD... I can see the grain man, it's destroying the definition.

So far Hulk has been the best looking film for me.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

i'm with you grey
I didn't see 300 on the big screen, seconds into the HD DVD I said to myself "wtf is this shit?"

Not the best looking HD DVD title, and the movie is overrated... WAAAAAY too overdramatic, it's like braveheart x218907236.
and to be honest I think the story is weak as piss.

the perky bewbs save it somewhat
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

I watched a few hd dvd titles on the weekend

I enjoyed it as much as the first time around and in hd was totally awesome. A great Action movie. Definately worth getting in hd

Happy Feet
Wow. The colours & the detail were mindboggling. A great visual feast indeed and not a bad movie at all

T2
Definately good, to see some extra details in the special effects such as arnie's face at the end was well worth the $50 i spent on it. They did a great transfer to hd dvd.

Equilibrium
I only watched the action scenes mainly but also another great transfer. Great colours.

But my pick was 300, great action. Loved the grain effect in the movie and in hi def it looked simply awesome. If Transformers didnt come out this year, it would be MOTY for me easy.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Just when you thought it was safe to go counting your chickens, Paramount and Dreamworks flip back to HD-DVD only.

Looks like the format war isn't over yet. HD-DVD has been thrown a lifeline in the form of Shrek and Transformers.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Rumor is warner will go hd-dvd exclusive soon too.

Apparently Java is still messed up and the new 1.1 spec splinters the bluray market.

Also the walmart deal that was talked off earlier is still happening, expect to see the us market flooded soon with cheap $150 hd-dvd players, while the new 1.1 bluray standard actually increases bluray player costs/prices.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

hd-dvd group must have pushed hard for this...

just when it seemed like day after day there was nothing but bad news for hd-dvd this turns up..

anyways fuck this format war..this is sacd v dvd audio all over again..

both are doing piss poor numbers and dvd is here to stay for a long long time..

newsgroups + HD rips = ftw
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Just when it looked like this format war was getting less retarded...
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Sony, Disney, Fox aren't going to budge from bluray anytime soon so it just further splits the market.

Maybe the best thing to come out of this will be JB selling HD-DVD. Maybe.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

:lol: Java .....
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

lestat wrote:Rumor is warner will go hd-dvd exclusive soon too.
That would end the war pretty much..
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Transformers on hd dvd FTW!!!
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Kabal wrote:
lestat wrote:Rumor is warner will go hd-dvd exclusive soon too.
That would end the war pretty much..
It would put them on a pretty even standing, thanks to Sony Fox and Disney still being BR exclusive, but it most definitely won't happen, Warner have publicly said may times how much they love being format neutral as it gets them more sales than the exclusive studios (250K+ for 300 etc) and they also said their movies are about 2:1 br vs hd in sales, so it just wouldn't make sense.

But then this boneheaded move from Paramount doesn't make sense either.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just got Heroes Season 1 today. Haven't put it in yet...

What's that Bluray owners? You can only watch the dvd version? Awww... sucks to be you.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Does it though? Heroes sucks ass.
mech

Post by mech »

Grabbed the Spider-Man trilogy today - all 3 movies on Blu-ray for $70. Not a bad price.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I bought Paprika on bluray last night, haven't watched it yet but I popped it in for a quick look as I was curious to see what the PQ is like, considering it's an anime movie.

It looks impressive, but not quite as impressive as I expected it to, I guess though there isn't too much more room to improve for animated stuff going from DVD to Bluray/HD-DVD as it's, well, just animated stuff.. so the clarity of the lines etc gets a boost but it's not a massive jump compared to something computer animated or filmed.

One thing that bugged me about it though, is that it accounts for any overscanning that your TV might do, by putting a small black border around the image, since my Sammy does 1:1 pixel mapping, if I display it in that mode like I normally do, I see that border around the image.

It's not a big thing, as when I drop it back to 16:9 screen omde it appears full screen, fine & dandy but seems kind of odd that they did it that way..
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

mech wrote:Grabbed the Spider-Man trilogy today - all 3 movies on Blu-ray for $70. Not a bad price.
Pity 2 and 3 are absolute trash.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Bluray deals-

Amazon- Buy One Get One Free on Disney/ Buena Vista titles. Here. PotC 1 and 2 + Chicken Little + Jay and Silent Bob= $60AU shipped :up: :up: :up: If you have the AU version of the PS3, check to see if your title is region free first here... for example Jay and Silent Bob is region locked.

JB- Buy Two Get One Free, but seems to include everything.