questions regarding eBay

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Now just respond to the rest of the comments...
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Well, I don't have to, because I'm not interested in that part of the post, and under no obligation to, but I will anyway since I'm bored. :p
So if the bad people hijack a power seller account the feedback procedure I'm... ummm.... I'm protected?
Why wouldnt you be?

1. You paid the money.

2. You didn't recieve anything. So you'd get covered by the buyer protection thing.

So far nothing like that has happened to me yet because I research the seller before commiting to anything (common sense) and don't only buy stuff off auctions. (you may want to compare prices on ebay auctions with online shops for example) It's more like a last resort for rare or vintage items. If the seller doesn't know the account is hijacked, it is only a matter of time before he finds out and the problem is dealt with. The chances of it happening often...sound pretty remote. They would be using the thier account all the time.
So instead of having your money "locked away" (which its not because the CC company will recover the money from PayPal on my behalf and credit me immediately) the money I would receive from eBay as credit from their fraud protection program is now "locked away" while eBay conducts its lengthy fraud review process?

Again, dealing directly using cash and cash-a-like bank transfers is silly.
You're welcome to that opinion. As I said, I have had no problem with reputable power sellers yet. I only use DD mainly for sellers in australia and shops (not just ebay shops) that have a good enough reputation. For the small items under $400 I'm comfortable to take the risk. It falls under the buyer protection system, and you don't need to use the internet to make a purchase from auctions on ebay. So say an old lady wants to buy an antique or something, she can't accidentally get tricked by a hacker using a fake ebay website telling the old lady that she has to enter her details in and stuff where the hacker can access all her money. (there are people who may not have been aware of those tricks, falling for them and now scared to do any online shopping)

Anyway, my issue is more with paypal (never had anything against CC) as people have complained that their money wasn't immediately available because the account was permanently locked through no fault of thier own. (because paypal want to profit from the interest made from pooling all the money together, so it might be annoying for those who need to access thier money)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

GameHED wrote:you don't need to use the internet to make a purchase from auctions on ebay
Wait... what?
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

:lol:

I think he forgot what he was arguing :D
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The transaction happens in front of you at the legit bank when you fill out the deposit slip manually. (not the dodgy hackers spoof site on the internet, through your keyboard that an innocent person accidentally thought was a genuine ebay message requesting info, and which the hacker now has that person's details to be able to do some damage.. through phishing /url spoofing) It was in response to:
I've used ebay hundreds of times. Direct deposit is what I've always done as a buyer and a seller as I find it the easiest, 'most manual' way. Something seems low-risk about just walking into a bank(u dont even have to have an account with) with some cash. You see it all happen in front of you and there's no dodgy internet folk.
As long as you pass any bank in your day to day journey its by far the best way to use ebay. After all the money is in their account instantly and being cash it is limited to the ammount in your pocket - can't be accessed by some guy on the net who never got laid in highschool.
Never mind.. *escapes thread*
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

I'm more likely to get mugged walking to the bank than I am having my internet banking hacked.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

oh ffs... I got an eBay account and then got a paypal account so I could buy an item. I order the item and click on pay now... it doesn't work. I check Paypal and I have to vericate my account. So... not only have I given them my CC details they now want my bank account details. Would you like a pund of flesh? A litre of blood? maybe my first born!

ARGH!!!!

Why, why do you need this? WHY ARE YOU SO DIFFICULT!!! WHY WWHY WHY!!!! I think I am going to cry... I just want to buy a little plug for my sound system... waaahhhhh!!!!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Don't give them your bank details if you can help it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Well, I can't seem to use the paypal account unless it is verified with this system. Basically they want to put 2 small deposits into my account. I then tell them the information in regards to the 2 payments and that verifies that the account is mine. Why they can't just use the verification system for your credit card is beyond me. Verified By Visa is a great system, several websites use it and it is very easy. I have created an account with that system and all I have to do is type in a password and wow, my card is verified as my card.

I just find what paypal is doing is too slow. I want to be able to use the eBay system and apparently use an easy and safe way to transfer money from the word go. I don't want to have to wait a few days to verify a payment from them. This is too slow, *I have a business to run!!!

*I don't actually have a business to run, this was just the response many an agry customer would to say to me when I worked for an ISP and their precious email wasn't working.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Mew. Mew Mew.

Verify it once, and it's fine forever, who cares? Call the wahmbulance.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

you know what? I'm going to whinge some more!

To finish verifying my account I have to wait for a letter! A LETTER FFS!

God I could fly to America and buy the bit I want faster then this. This is bullshit! Why do people use this so called convenient service?

BLARGH!!@!!
mech

Post by mech »

Wait for a letter?

I don't remember any of this stuff... then again I set it up ages ago. Did you set it up as a credit card account or a bank account? If it's the latter, maybe that's why you're having issues. These security checks are in your best interest, means other people you're sending/getting money to/from are more likely to be legit.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Yeah mech to be verified on paypal, they need to send a letter to your address. I have a paypal account that isn't verified and just has my cc details on it for payment. But some people wont deal with you unless you have a verified account.

Funny thing is i requested a letter to get verified a while back, never turned up. So good luck with that grey.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

The problem is I can't use my paypal account at all. If I don't get this soon, I am just going to get my hosuemate to buy the plug for me.

I understand the security checks, I just didn't feel that there was enough warning of all these checks before signing up. From the impression I got, I could sign up at eBay and Paypal and be buying stuff that day.

If I was the average person I would be way more pissed off then this. As it is, I am alright about it, as I understand why they are doing it. I am a little peeved and do need to vent a bit. heh.