I'm cursed by the number 11!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

David Carney

I'm cursed by the number 11!

Post by David Carney »

It all started about a year ago. My mate was remarking about how everytime he looks at the clock, it's 11 past something. I shrugged it off until I started to see it for myself. For the past few months it's been happening to me too, about 70-80% of the time I look at a clock it's 11 past. My brother had a theory that it's built into my sub-conscious and that I'm always 11 minutes late :lol:. But even when I'm in my car, with two clocks in there (with a 20 min discrepancy between them), my eye always looks at the one that says 11 past, even though I know which one is correct and which one is slow. :shock:

Strange coincidence or something much more sinister? Actually, I don't believe it means anything - but am wondering what the significance of "11" is. :?
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Damn, i have a similar thing with 12:36. That used to be what time the bell rang at school for lunch... and since then, it seems like nearly every time i look at the clock in the middle of the day, it's 12:36.

Whenver i look at the time and see 12:36, i can't help but smile. The odds are so unlikely that it should happen.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Re: the 11 thing, maybe you only remember the times you look at the clock when it's 11 past because of what your friend said? Quite often I do things like look at the clock without even realising it.
skinner

Post by skinner »

I went through this stage where I kept checking the time and it appeared to be mostly at exactly 9:11. I think it was just because of how much that number has been used, it just stuck out more than say 2:45. :)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

It's the human body clock. It is an amazing thing. You can actually tell the time without a watch or a clock.

Most people don't actually need an alarm clock. I can tell myself to wake up a specific time. If I say 7am, I will wake up usually within 10 mins either side of the time.

What is most likely happening is that your body clock is recognising what the time is, and you will look at a clock. If you know there is a 20 min time difference in the clocks your body will know when to look.

There is also the bit mech brought up, generally the human brain will only remember certain things. Because it is at the front of your unconcious mind you will remember it more readily then when you look at the time during other parts of the day.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Yeah, I've had the same thing happen. 9:41

Fucking odd.

Also, there's been the odd occasion where I have correctly guessed the exact time (well, to the minute anyway). Obviously it's an educated guess to do that, with other events as a reference. So it's not that special.

Your body clock is generally very accurate, and you are always noticing little events that can clue you in to the time of day, perhaps even clocks that you dont pay attention to.

Another thing that's easy to do:

Before you go to sleep, repeat to yourself (out loud or in your head, doesnt matter): "Wake up at 5am, wake up at 5am, wake up at 5am".

It works.
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Does repeating in my head "Don't wake up at 3 am to take a piss, don't wake up at 3 am to take a piss, don't wake up at 3 am to take a piss" work too? :P
mxlegend99
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

If it does, just hope you dont take a piss at 3am anyway :P
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Post by Spoonfan »

It's 10:24 for me.
ebe
XBL ID: ebeonline
Steam ID: ebe

Post by ebe »

Don't listen to Grey, he's part of the conspiracy.

This is just like the number 78.
MCWrang
XBL ID: MCWrang
Steam ID: MCWrang

Post by MCWrang »

11:11 for me. As has been said, you will look at a clock a hundred times before the number comes up, but beacuse you have pretty much assigned that number to your head you will notice it when it comes up.
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Well I've only seen 11 past twice today, and the other day I managed to avoid it altogether... Something always seems to happen at 11 past though... :shock:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Mmm it is like last night, I have been in Sydney on business and I have to get up earlier than normal (usually get to work about 9:30 sa time) and had to get up at 7am EST so at least an hour before I get up normally. I woke at 1, 3 and 6 with my body making sure I didn't sleep in like something would tell me to wake up. Generally when I go away I usually get up at 7est and I always will wake around 6:30 - 6:50.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
mech

Post by mech »

David Carney wrote:Well I've only seen 11 past twice today, and the other day I managed to avoid it altogether... Something always seems to happen at 11 past though... :shock:
OMG IT'S GOD OR FATE OR SOMETHING