I need a new ISP iinet goneburger

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

I need a new ISP iinet goneburger

Post by General Chaos »

Well so iinet have just informed me that I will be downgraded from 1500k back to a 512k connection unless I give them another $20. :fight

Apparently the quota they are giving me is very generous so I shouldn't complain and 512 is also better than some ISP's provide.

See explanation here http://www.iinet.net.au/products/recentchanges.html

SORRY NOT FUCKING GOOD ENOUGH! .... Oh yeah and FUCK YOU TELSTRA!!

So I'm on the hunt for a new ISP yet again and I figure there may be a few other on the board in a similar position as me.

What plans are people on these days? I'm looking at anything 1500/256 as there is no fucking way I can go backwards.

I promise I wont do a Corey and ignore your advice and sign up with Telstra.. :lol:
Pat

Post by Pat »

Netspace.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

OK I'll rephrase that. Anyone other than Netspace.. Otherwise you will want to give me a real damn good reason to trust them after my last run in with them and months of worse than modem pings in key gaming times.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

g-node
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

yeah my isp (exetel) is charging me another $10 thesed days, but i'm going to stick with them 'till they get ADSL2+ up and running in my area (end of the year).

ADSL stinks these days, it's getting more expensive and ADSL2+ is WAAAAAY faster and cheaper!
when will tassie get it? 2010-ish?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

The main exchange has ADSL 2 in Hobart though I'm not hooked into that exchange and I doubt very much they will rush to do other exchanges down here.

I'm more likely to end up on Broadband over Power before ADSL 2
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Well it seems as though paying the extra $20 to keep my plan will be a better option than switching ISPs as their equivalent plans all look to be the same as my inflated price and then I have to pay sign up fees and other bullshit..

YAY inflation FTW.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Internode dude...

Good fuckgin service and great quality.

Because ADSL2 is planned for my area, they slapt me on a preorder and dropped my price by $10.

:up:
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Yeah im hearing fairly good things about G-Node(New ISP).

I lot of people are jumping on the $69.95 20gig plan, with unlimited downloads between 10pm-7am
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Post by Spoonfan »

That sounds good Muzza. I'm getting a bit sick of Exetel but am sticking with them for the moment cos of the off-peak downloads.

I'll have to take a look at G-Node.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

G-Node don't seem to be on the list of Tassie Providers.

I'm going to be following this persons lead it would seem as I im in their exact position:
I'm currently on the 1.5M bundled Light Plan (10+10GB). With these changes I'll be down to 512/128.

So they want to sell me a 512/128 10+10GB plan at $49.95 with the bundled line rental of $34.95 for a total price of $84.90 a month?

And yet Internode HOME-512-Value ($49.95) + Telstra Homeline Plus (29.95) is $79.90.

Personally I'll be churning to the Internode HOME-1500-Value + Telstra Homeline Budget at $89.90. I'm guessing I won't be the only one

links to plans:

HOME-1500-Value

Testra HomeLine Budget
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Is this a tassie iinet thing because I haven't been advised of any changes to my account.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I'm on the Home 1500 Value (40gb) Chaos, it's highly recommended. :thumbsup:
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Cletus wrote:Is this a tassie iinet thing because I haven't been advised of any changes to my account.
Its affects Iinet users who are on the 1500/256 plan Cletus.

Existing Light plan users that are on 1500/256 (ie Grandfathered) will start receiving emails from iiNet advising of a speed reduction to 512/128.

They will have 21 days grace from the date of the email.

The only BB1 1500/256 plan now available is $109.95 bundled or $119.95 unbundled.

Basically, if you want to continue 1500/256 on iiNet BB1 then you will need to pay 120% more.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Internode FTW.

And you'll know what will happen to a startup like G-Node, every man and his dog will go to it cause it's cheap, so everything will either start slowing down with all the leechers or they'll lift their prices/add more restrictions.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Quick to pass the buck to Telstra, aren't they?

I'm on ADSL1 [christ knows why, dud exchange probably] and the Medium plan, so I didn't know about this until now. Are the other ISPs really doing a similar thing?
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Also, how does a contact centre become 'award-winning' when you have to wait 40 minutes to speak to someone??
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Yep only for their customers stuck on Telstra hardware Cletus. You are good to stay.

My exchange is listed as "proposed" in the dslam rollout so that is not happening any time soon.

I figure iinet would sooner ditch as many of their customers who rely on Telstra as possible. Then make extra profit out of the ones who stayof due to the price hike. It's bad for publicity but makes good business sense I guess.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to call their so called "award-winning" contact centre. Maybe I'll get the chance when my churn to another ISP turns horribly wrong. :P

Just looking around at ADSL pricing since my last churn a couple of years ago it would seem that it has stagnated or even gone backwards. I hope that whoever I jump ship to doesn't pull a similar swifty or I'll be mighty pissed!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Internode FTW :thumbsup:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I was with TPG and they did the same, wanted to downgrade me for an extra 20 bucks I could keep the same, so I went fuck that, changed to MomentumInternet (might be SA only) and am on ADSL2+ at 10gig a month for 39.95, much better value and they are local and no waiting on hold for help :)
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Oh and the first 3 months were bonus doubling of download limit.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I'm thinking westnet over internode actually:

Same quota, same speed, same price, cheaper churn, cheaper opt out within 6 months. Free Static IP.

Plus they have the Cardsy Seal of approval.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Scratch Westnet their Pricing is about to go up too according to http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 556252&p=1.

FFS.

I guess it's going to be pay a large portion more or go back to 512. In which case I may aswell unbundle my phone with them and pay the extra money for 1500 and sit it out for a month or two until the dust settles.

Hopefully due to this new price structuring unbundling does not = losing half my "Generous Quota".
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Ass-burger!!! Guess I will wait and see how much prices go up ... will most likely stay as I cbf hitting the churnz0r!!

You could always join now, get a contract stitched up for 12mths and as a result, stay on that pricing.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Well fiercely-loyal Cardsy has churned to Internode after three peaceful years at Westnet.

My plan was the heaviest hit (up $20 a mth) for no extra value.

Didn't want to bundle with Westnet fone, so I churned for $1 less than my plan was about to go up.

Here's hoping the 'node's network is as reliable as Westnet's.