View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Jan 2018 05:59 pm



Reply to topic  [ 5649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226  Next
 Movies you've seen lately. 
Author Message
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:15 pm
Posts: 7027
Location: Perth, WA
Gamertag: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside
Vince wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:
If no one apart from maybe GameHED gets your point, you might have issues.

So you'd have the same concerns if Rose was a white woman? Although maybe in that case you'll feel the best actress was chosen? So why crap on about an Asian woman kissing a black dude?


So basically what you're saying is, is that if I don't like Rose and believe she is a pathetic character shoehorned in for no reason at all, I'm racist? Hollywood has "whitewashed" for many many years. We all know it. Doesn't mean we need to shoehorn in diverse characters just cause they're not white. Who gives a fuck what nationality they are? I want them to be worthy for the role. She wasn't. It's not cause she is Asian. It's cause her character was trash and the storyline she was involved in never needed to be there...

As for the prequel bashing, now you Disney Star Wars lovers know what I have had to hear for many many years. I enjoyed the prequels and their stories. The lore was grand and it really brought out the inner child in me. It gave me the same feels as when I was a kid watching the OT. Script was poor. Acting was sub par. But God it was fun. These new films look gorgeous. Have acceptable acting and not too cringy scripts (for the most part). Yet they are not good films. They LOOK like good films but they are hollow crap made by committee to try please as many drones as they can. Much like pop music today which is, on the whole, disposable crap. But please, don't accuse me of racism cause I hate this pathetic film. You like It- fine. Just can't understand why it's defenders are so ardent in attacking people who hate it...


I don't think that someone is racist if they hate a particular character. She was a bit of a nothing character for me personally. It's the Froggys and GameHEDs who seem to believe that casting an Asian woman is part of some sort of anti-white (male) conspiracy I find ridiculous.

_________________
Image


02 Jan 2018 01:10 pm
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Ambrose Burnside wrote:

I don't think that someone is racist if they hate a particular character. She was a bit of a nothing character for me personally. It's the Froggys and GameHEDs who seem to believe that casting an Asian woman is part of some sort of anti-white (male) conspiracy I find ridiculous.


I don't recall anyone being upset with the diversity quota in Rogue One?

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/rogue-one/260795/how-diversity-makes-rogue-one-a-better-star-wars-movie

Makes some very good points about diversity and that while it's clear that some people feel as though diversity is being shoe-horned into the series.. I'm self aware enough to recognise that Star Wars doesn't belong to me and me only. The idea that having a diverse cast may make others who have never been represented feel included actually makes me really happy. I could be getting shitty that there are no gay characters in the franchise.. EVER... but I realise that as everywhere as gay people are.. I don't demand representation.. and since gay people look like everyone else.. you could just as well assume one of the extras in a scene could be gay... we don't need to be front and centre... I'm still holding a torch for StormPilot but if it doesn't work out.. I'm not packing up my Scattergories and going home in a huff.

Rogue One nailed it in it's look and it's cast. I don't see how the diversity in that film was okay yet it wasn't in TFA and TLJ.


02 Jan 2018 01:31 pm
Profile
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:54 am
Posts: 4097
Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Vince wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:
If no one apart from maybe GameHED gets your point, you might have issues.

So you'd have the same concerns if Rose was a white woman? Although maybe in that case you'll feel the best actress was chosen? So why crap on about an Asian woman kissing a black dude?


So basically what you're saying is, is that if I don't like Rose and believe she is a pathetic character shoehorned in for no reason at all, I'm racist? Hollywood has "whitewashed" for many many years. We all know it. Doesn't mean we need to shoehorn in diverse characters just cause they're not white. Who gives a fuck what nationality they are? I want them to be worthy for the role. She wasn't. It's not cause she is Asian. It's cause her character was trash and the storyline she was involved in never needed to be there...

As for the prequel bashing, now you Disney Star Wars lovers know what I have had to hear for many many years. I enjoyed the prequels and their stories. The lore was grand and it really brought out the inner child in me. It gave me the same feels as when I was a kid watching the OT. Script was poor. Acting was sub par. But God it was fun. These new films look gorgeous. Have acceptable acting and not too cringy scripts (for the most part). Yet they are not good films. They LOOK like good films but they are hollow crap made by committee to try please as many drones as they can. Much like pop music today which is, on the whole, disposable crap. But please, don't accuse me of racism cause I hate this pathetic film. You like It- fine. Just can't understand why it's defenders are so ardent in attacking people who hate it...


I don't think that someone is racist if they hate a particular character. She was a bit of a nothing character for me personally. It's the Froggys and GameHEDs who seem to believe that casting an Asian woman is part of some sort of anti-white (male) conspiracy I find ridiculous.


You are deliberately misrepresenting our arguments, welcome to being a racist Vince. My issue with rose has nothing to do with men its back to my point you pointed out yourself with Tilda that the diversity checkbox is no 1 and then bend the stories and roles around it to the detriment of movies. I feel Oceans 8 will be a great example for 2018 of diversity sjw checkbox then movie plot and roles bent to fit ending in a nightmare. Watch the trailer to see the car crash unfolding and no that one isnt because its an all female reboot of oceans thats not even an issue they have too mamy other virtue signals to ram in.

Im surprised any asians like star wars at all what without being able to see someone who looks like them on screen all these years, next time Im in Japan Ill ask them why they have so mayn star wars items for sale as hoe could they possibly enjoy it? I forgot GCF lives nesr a large Vietnamese community so in his none racist way he knows whats best for them, that isnt insulting at all or anything though right?

" Hey Vietnamese peopl eI feel so great for you now you can finally enjoy star wars and feel included because we threw in a character for no other reason then you could look at someone similar on the big screen, I feel warm inside for you it males me happy"

but they reply looking confused that we already loved star wars but at least you like Rose as none of us do.

_________________
Vzzzbx, you lose again!


02 Jan 2018 01:56 pm
Profile
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:15 pm
Posts: 7027
Location: Perth, WA
Gamertag: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside
Froggy wrote:
... you seriously can't admit to yourself that there's some high level social engineering going on with SW since Disney took over and let's face it nearly every other Disney property is going through the same in lieu of content ... It comes back to Rose and her complete inclusion only to have a non hot Asian female in a main role as a love interest for a black dude ... How's about we go back to picking the best actor/actress for the roles that fit the scripts instead of bending the scripts/roles out of whack to make sure we have checked all the boxes on our list thus ruining a fucking ton of movies thus the problem with Disney Star Wars and many other IP's these days.


Froggy wrote:
issue with rose has nothing to do with men its back to my point you pointed out yourself with Tilda that the diversity checkbox is no 1 and then bend the stories and roles around it to the detriment of movies.


So the belief that Disney are deliberately picking actors/actresses that aren't the best actor/actress for a particular role because they'd rather pick a "non hot" Asian girl to pair up with a black dude, that they're actually changing movie plots to make them worse all because of some diversity checklist , isn't a belief in a Hollywood conspiracy aimed at overhauling the status quo through dastardly social engineering?

My apologies for misrepresenting your (not Vince's) argument. When will the sheeple wake up and stop handing over a billion dollars every time a new Marvel or Star Wars movie comes out???

_________________
Image


02 Jan 2018 02:25 pm
Profile
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2006 09:05 am
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!!
I think i'm done here with this discussion. I'm not too pleased with disliking a movie and then being told that it's due to diversity which we all need because we all need to have someone to look up to... This discussion had NOTHING to do with diversity. It's due to people trying to defend it against people like us, and accusing us of wanting only white actors/actresses (am I allowed to say actresses or is that sexist???) without diversity is wrong.

As I've explained earlier, my fav heroes in sci fi (and 3 of my fav films) feature FEMALE PROTAGONISTS! Aliens and T1/T2. I didn't worry about the main character being a female so I couldn't look up to them because I am a male. I loved them! They were great. And you know why? Cause the films were AMAZING! They were great characters who fucking did better than any of the guys in those, or any other action/sci fi films. I don't need heroes to look up to cause they're just fucking movies ffs.

And please don't try talk down to me to explain why diversity is so important. I experienced racism all my life growing up in rural Victoria. It was tough. But I didn't go home and watch films to see a fucking hero I could base my life on. I watched Indiana Jones. Luke Skywalker. Played Aliens with my brothers. Had a great time pretending we were those characters even though they represented NOTHING about my character or my heritage. And I would've loved any of those characters if they were black, white, hispanic, asian or whatever! As a matter of fact, I enjoyed Rogue One even though I know they forced diversity in that film. It was a well done film that told an interesting story regardless of their nationality. Point is, I don't care what the colour or nationality is of the person, I want the character justified. In TLJ, Rose wasn't needed. No point in her character or her story. To me it appears as though they only put her in to fill the diversity quota, and that's OK! I really don't care. I was even hoping Poe and Finn were revealed as gay characters in this film. Something different. But alas, that's maybe going too far for some in hollywood...


02 Jan 2018 02:25 pm
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Froggy wrote:

You are deliberately misrepresenting our arguments, welcome to being a racist Vince. My issue with rose has nothing to do with men its back to my point you pointed out yourself with Tilda that the diversity checkbox is no 1 and then bend the stories and roles around it to the detriment of movies. I feel Oceans 8 will be a great example for 2018 of diversity sjw checkbox then movie plot and roles bent to fit ending in a nightmare. Watch the trailer to see the car crash unfolding and no that one isnt because its an all female reboot of oceans thats not even an issue they have too mamy other virtue signals to ram in.

Im surprised any asians like star wars at all what without being able to see someone who looks like them on screen all these years, next time Im in Japan Ill ask them why they have so mayn star wars items for sale as hoe could they possibly enjoy it? I forgot GCF lives nesr a large Vietnamese community so in his none racist way he knows whats best for them, that isnt insulting at all or anything though right?

" Hey Vietnamese peopl eI feel so great for you now you can finally enjoy star wars and feel included because we threw in a character for no other reason then you could look at someone similar on the big screen, I feel warm inside for you it males me happy"

but they reply looking confused that we already loved star wars but at least you like Rose as none of us do.


And you are deliberately speculating about how they decided to write this movie. Oceans 8 sounds like they are cashing in on an existing franchise.. I have no interest to see it mainly because I've had never had an interest in the franchise.. I have no issue that there will be women in it.. but if they are trying to target women to be their primary audience.. good luck to them.

And I think you will find I said I live 10 min away from a huge "Asian" community. Asia is a big place the community in my area has heaps of of Chinese, Japanese, Indian and an increasing number of Burmese people... you know.. people from ASIA. If you're going to take a swipe.. make sure you've got your facts right eh?

And what are you inferring about me knowing what is best for them? The difference here is that I have spoken to them. I go there every year.. A country that doesn't really get much external media.. the idea of seeing someone from your country.. as small a role as it was for Ngo Thanh Van.. and to have Kelly Marie Tran as a Vietnamese-American.. that is something that quite a few of the younger people were interested in. One of the young ladies at the homestay we were at in November said that she never had seen Star Wars but was interested since it was made known that she was to be in it. I thought at the time she was referring to the actress playing Rose.. I was kinda on a Star Wars black out so not to ruin it. They actually had Star Wars stuff in the larger shops there too.. which we've never noticed before.

IT's the first time Disney organised a promotional event in Vietnam.. so clearly they are trying to introduce it to potential new fans.. do you mind explaining why that is racist or insulting?



Froggy wrote:
" Hey Vietnamese peopl eI feel so great for you now you can finally enjoy star wars and feel included because we threw in a character for no other reason then you could look at someone similar on the big screen, I feel warm inside for you it males me happy"


If that's what you took from me saying that I like the idea of people feeling included.. well that shows that you are deliberately being a racist cunt. Well done.


02 Jan 2018 02:32 pm
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Vince wrote:
I think i'm done here with this discussion. I'm not too pleased with disliking a movie and then being told that it's due to diversity which we all need because we all need to have someone to look up to... This discussion had NOTHING to do with diversity. It's due to people trying to defend it against people like us, and accusing us of wanting only white actors/actresses (am I allowed to say actresses or is that sexist???) without diversity is wrong.

As I've explained earlier, my fav heroes in sci fi (and 3 of my fav films) feature FEMALE PROTAGONISTS! Aliens and T1/T2. I didn't worry about the main character being a female so I couldn't look up to them because I am a male. I loved them! They were great. And you know why? Cause the films were AMAZING! They were great characters who fucking did better than any of the guys in those, or any other action/sci fi films. I don't need heroes to look up to cause they're just fucking movies ffs.

And please don't try talk down to me to explain why diversity is so important. I experienced racism all my life growing up in rural Victoria. It was tough. But I didn't go home and watch films to see a fucking hero I could base my life on. I watched Indiana Jones. Luke Skywalker. Played Aliens with my brothers. Had a great time pretending we were those characters even though they represented NOTHING about my character or my heritage. And I would've loved any of those characters if they were black, white, hispanic, asian or whatever! As a matter of fact, I enjoyed Rogue One even though I know they forced diversity in that film. It was a well done film that told an interesting story regardless of their nationality. Point is, I don't care what the colour or nationality is of the person, I want the character justified. In TLJ, Rose wasn't needed. No point in her character or her story. To me it appears as though they only put her in to fill the diversity quota, and that's OK! I really don't care. I was even hoping Poe and Finn were revealed as gay characters in this film. Something different. But alas, that's maybe going too far for some in hollywood...


Diversity may not be important to you.. but feeling represented and included is for others. You don't like Rose. Fine. Whatever. Can you consider that her inclusion has actually been a good thing in some way.. somewhere for a group of people who aren't you? Well done for surviving racism.. I genuinely say that. But you know what? When I was able to play Commander Shepard and (finally) have him as gay.. that was something incredibly powerful for me. Finally I didn't have to follow the standard guy and girl romance.. I felt so happy about it.. but wait no.. just because YOU don't work that way.. it voids everybody else's approach.


If Rose wasn't needed - that's fine.. but you've already stated you aren't interested in shoehorned in diversity... even if there are benefits to it and you know.. allowing others to feel represented? Because you DO realise that is what making movies is about? Studios are all about representing the people they want paying to see their movies. Why Hollywood has such a problem with white-washing... How do you stop white-washing? You make an effort to be diverse and to represent what it really is like in the world. If I was to take a snap shot of all my clients past and present.. it's incredibly diverse. It's amazing. I just know the positive feeling I get when it feels like I am included and represented. It obviously doesn't mean anything to you.. but it does to me and it does to others. So again.. Star Wars doesn't belong to you and only you.. nor to me.. but the difference is.. I think it belongs to everyone and everyone should be able to included and/or represented.


02 Jan 2018 02:53 pm
Profile
Regular Member
Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2006 05:19 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: Sydney
Gamertag: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard
I actually feel that the diversity quota didn't go far enough. As with TFA it was all X-Wings and standard Ties with the token A-Wing thrown in.

The B-Wing and Tie Interceptor communities must still be feeling pretty under-represented.


02 Jan 2018 03:07 pm
Profile
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2006 09:05 am
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!!
stanard wrote:
I actually feel that the diversity quota didn't go far enough. As with TFA it was all X-Wings and standard Ties with the token A-Wing thrown in.

The B-Wing and Tie Interceptor communities must still be feeling pretty under-represented.


That I can agree with you on! :D


02 Jan 2018 03:33 pm
Profile
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:15 pm
Posts: 7027
Location: Perth, WA
Gamertag: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside
:lol:

_________________
Image


02 Jan 2018 03:45 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 19343
Personally I'm not concerned about fat Asian chicks kissing black dudes, I'm concerned about the entire story arc being fucking pointless and the movie itself being a Bay-esque clusterfuck of a shambles.

First and foremost this movie's issue is that it sucks. Fly Leia, flyyyyyyy!


02 Jan 2018 04:11 pm
Profile
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:15 pm
Posts: 7027
Location: Perth, WA
Gamertag: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside
Flying Leia *shudder*

I still don't think the Rose/Finn plot was pointless. Their mission failed but it served its purpose of showing that missions with crazy one in a million odds of success don't always work which is quite different from most Star Wars plots where Threepio has a fit but the heroes still manage to somehow pull it off and no one cares they didn't follow orders because the ends justify the means.

But yeah, it could have been better. I read somewhere that instead of space horses they should have been podracers. That would have been awesome :)

_________________
Image


02 Jan 2018 04:25 pm
Profile
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:54 am
Posts: 4097
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:
Froggy wrote:

If that's what you took from me saying that I like the idea of people feeling included.. well that shows that you are deliberately being a racist cunt. Well done.


No, how on earth that it's racist is beyond me. Yes, I'm saying you are being condescending to a minority becuase you feel good thinking that they feel great about seeing someone who looks like them on screen. You like it because you feel all warm and fuzzy, meanwhile none of them care, it's down right insulting (quite racist actually, that word you love to throw around) for you to tell them they need to see someone looking like them to be able to feel included. You should check your white privilege.

None of your inclusion reasons can explain why the white supremacist star wars was/is so popular in Asia before being properly cast? I don't know how those Asians possibly related. There's a pretty damn good reason Star Wars might not be too huge in Vietnam, can't quite imagine what might have been the issue near the OT that might have meant they missed out though.

You know again missing the point, Shep being gay didn't alter him being a great character or what he did or anything. It made you like him more but he is still Shep and still great gay or straight. If you want a proper analogy then say they whacked in a woman shep equivalent who was straight and black and asian and made you do 10 main missions as this character. After completing the missions over 5 hours about animal cruelty and income equality you go back to being main Shep and pick up exactly where you left off before you were forced to be the diversity character who'se story arc turns out to have zero impact on the overall story at all.

_________________
Vzzzbx, you lose again!


02 Jan 2018 04:48 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 19343
Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Flying Leia *shudder*

I still don't think the Rose/Finn plot was pointless. Their mission failed but it served its purpose of showing that missions with crazy one in a million odds of success don't always work which is quite different from most Star Wars plots where Threepio has a fit but the heroes still manage to somehow pull it off and no one cares they didn't follow orders because the ends justify the means.

But yeah, it could have been better. I read somewhere that instead of space horses they should have been podracers. That would have been awesome :)


The entire arc padded the movie out for no payoff.

Wait...there was a payoff - a forced cheesy-as-fuck kiss in the middle of a battlefield when their friends were on the verge of being slaughtered by Kylo Ren and crew.

Fucking lame. Star Wars is now at the level of the Transformers movies - incoherent bullshit. Hey, maybe in the next one ghost Luke will come back and set something on fire? The movie set if we're lucky :lol:


02 Jan 2018 05:25 pm
Profile
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:54 am
Posts: 4097
Now now Candy, you can't criticise that kiss, it made Black people and Asian people feel included in the Star Wars universe. I can't have been the only one hoping that one or both of their space pod things at that point would get obliterated to end that arc.

_________________
Vzzzbx, you lose again!


02 Jan 2018 05:35 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 19343
I thought Finn was going to sacrifice himself which actually would have been a VERY impactful and memorable scene...until Rose basically spear tackles him out of the way and then you have that stupid as fuck kiss scene.

Under normal circumstances it would easily have been the worst part of an awful movie, but nothing can possibly top Princess "Mary Poppins" Leia magically flying through space into her ship.

Shit movie.


Last edited by Candy Arse on 02 Jan 2018 05:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.



02 Jan 2018 05:39 pm
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Froggy wrote:
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:
Froggy wrote:

If that's what you took from me saying that I like the idea of people feeling included.. well that shows that you are deliberately being a racist cunt. Well done.


No, how on earth that it's racist is beyond me. Yes, I'm saying you are being condescending to a minority becuase you feel good thinking that they feel great about seeing someone who looks like them on screen. You like it because you feel all warm and fuzzy, meanwhile none of them care, it's down right insulting (quite racist actually, that word you love to throw around) for you to tell them they need to see someone looking like them to be able to feel included. You should check your white privilege.

None of your inclusion reasons can explain why the white supremacist star wars was/is so popular in Asia before being properly cast? I don't know how those Asians possibly related. There's a pretty damn good reason Star Wars might not be too huge in Vietnam, can't quite imagine what might have been the issue near the OT that might have meant they missed out though.

You know again missing the point, Shep being gay didn't alter him being a great character or what he did or anything. It made you like him more but he is still Shep and still great gay or straight. If you want a proper analogy then say they whacked in a woman shep equivalent who was straight and black and asian and made you do 10 main missions as this character. After completing the missions over 5 hours about animal cruelty and income equality you go back to being main Shep and pick up exactly where you left off before you were forced to be the diversity character who'se story arc turns out to have zero impact on the overall story at all.


So what.. it's condescending to feel good when you see someone else feel good? Are you one those bitches that snarl when someone in the office gets flowers or something?

Meanwhile none of who care? Who said they need to see someone? Like I said in a previous post that you clearly didn't bother to understand is that some people like seeing a group they belong to represented.. I mean for fucks sake.. we see it all the time.. in TV.. movies and sport.. Why do people generally support the team from their town?

In terms of Star Wars being popular in Asia.. I wasn't aware that I asked to "explain why the white supremacist star wars was/is so popular in Asia before being properly cast?" .. Japan was saturated with The Force Awakens stuff when I was there in 2015. My belief would be that with Disney at the helm.. they would be looking to cast a wider net in terms of market capture. China has a lot of money.. so again I would expect them to try and engage that market also.

In terms of why Vietnam has never engaged in Star Wars.. it's a very different country especially back then.. and YEAH... I get the Vietnam war reference... and I also have read perspectives that A New Hope was a protest of sorts against the Vietnam War. However that does not excuse your bullshit by inferring that it's ridiculous to consider that the inclusion of a Vietnamese and Vietnamese American could not be seen as something that vietnamese people could enjoy and be inspired by.

And way to miss my point about Shep and you're showing your lack of knowledge about my point also.. it's like you keep missing the point on purpose to be a shit stirrer. In the first game.. Bioware were gutless and did not include the option for Shep to be a gay male. They only allowed it in Mass Effect 3. The whole point of Mass Effect was to play Shep YOUR way.. and for the first two games.. you could.. but if you were gay.. you only had female romance options. To have Bioware FINALLY grow a spine and allow me to play Shep as a gay character.. that meant a lot to me. And they actually did it really well in terms of character development in terms of the male romance options of Kaidan and Cortez.


02 Jan 2018 05:40 pm
Profile
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 09:15 pm
Posts: 7027
Location: Perth, WA
Gamertag: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside
I can't wait for the next shit storm when the Han Solo movie comes out.

He better shoot first all the way through, that's all I have to say.

_________________
Image


02 Jan 2018 05:44 pm
Profile
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:54 am
Posts: 4097
Meh I don't watch prequels and prequel character story movies so I won't know or care. As I said (which seems missed by the must defend SW at all costs crew) is that I enjoyed this movie it just made no sense in Star Wars land. I think the next big shit storm will be ep 9 because they'll have to win the neckbeards back after they have stewed on this for 24 months.

General my point is Star Wars was mega popular in Japan before TFA without being told they weren't included by the likes of yourself because no one looked like them. That's the problem with Disney and identity politics is your line of thinking and it's really condescending. It is OK feeling that way, you need to box people and that's OK until it gets to the point where it's the first and most important thing in creating a movie which is where we are at. I get what you are saying about Vietnamese being happy someone from their country is in a big movie, no different to when we lose our shit when Aussie Hugh pops up in fucking Xmen or our Nicole or adopted Russ do but at least they were filling roles that fit the story. Angela Bishop has a pair of Factor 5 waterproof panties for those announcements it's that big for some people.

Following your posts you think Disney put her in so they would open up the Vietnamese market which kind of just confirms the characters story was forced in. I doubt they'd chase Vietnamese market that way though, it's not exactly gonna fill the coffers.

_________________
Vzzzbx, you lose again!


02 Jan 2018 06:01 pm
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Actually I haven't been discussing Japan really at all.. it seems as though that is your strength in terms of knowledge and you are generalising everything based on that.
I've not been discussing Japan.. so I suggest you stop making out that Japan = all of Asia. Disney have been making a push into China.. as to why they haven't latched on to Star Wars like other countries.. I can only speculate.

I seriously doubt they put these characters in for Vietnamese market and nor did I think that.. but if you think it's condescending that I would be pleased that certain ethnic groups get a look in to something they have previously not been involved in... I think that says more about you than it does about me.


02 Jan 2018 06:47 pm
Profile
Elite Ginger
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 08:41 am
Posts: 19343
Ambrose Burnside wrote:
I can't wait for the next shit storm when the Han Solo movie comes out.

He better shoot first all the way through, that's all I have to say.


He'll be a pacifist who would rather solve the galaxy's problems via Twitter.


02 Jan 2018 06:56 pm
Profile
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:54 am
Posts: 4097
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:
Actually I haven't been discussing Japan really at all.. it seems as though that is your strength in terms of knowledge and you are generalising everything based on that.
I've not been discussing Japan.. so I suggest you stop making out that Japan = all of Asia. Disney have been making a push into China.. as to why they haven't latched on to Star Wars like other countries.. I can only speculate.

I seriously doubt they put these characters in for Vietnamese market and nor did I think that.. but if you think it's condescending that I would be pleased that certain ethnic groups get a look in to something they have previously not been involved in... I think that says more about you than it does about me.


Seems my reply disappeared so I'll write a short version..

Most of Asia that actually saw the OT are fans, I mention Japan because its the worlds most homogeneous country (or close to it) and they absolutely love it. Now if they love it and there's no Asians in it how does that work with you telling them they aren't properly included?

You are being condescending, hey little people, isn't it great you can now see someone who looks like you do in this film, it makes me so happy. I bet it must make you happy to because before now there was no way you'd feel properly included. I feel so warm and fuzzy inside for you because I know this is what you need to relate to a fantasy film set in another galaxy.

_________________
Vzzzbx, you lose again!


02 Jan 2018 09:16 pm
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Froggy wrote:
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:
Actually I haven't been discussing Japan really at all.. it seems as though that is your strength in terms of knowledge and you are generalising everything based on that.
I've not been discussing Japan.. so I suggest you stop making out that Japan = all of Asia. Disney have been making a push into China.. as to why they haven't latched on to Star Wars like other countries.. I can only speculate.

I seriously doubt they put these characters in for Vietnamese market and nor did I think that.. but if you think it's condescending that I would be pleased that certain ethnic groups get a look in to something they have previously not been involved in... I think that says more about you than it does about me.


Seems my reply disappeared so I'll write a short version..

Most of Asia that actually saw the OT are fans, I mention Japan because its the worlds most homogeneous country (or close to it) and they absolutely love it. Now if they love it and there's no Asians in it how does that work with you telling them they aren't properly included?

You are being condescending, hey little people, isn't it great you can now see someone who looks like you do in this film, it makes me so happy. I bet it must make you happy to because before now there was no way you'd feel properly included. I feel so warm and fuzzy inside for you because I know this is what you need to relate to a fantasy film set in another galaxy.


Japanese people would have a variety of reasons to love Star Wars.. from the heavy cinematic borrowings from Samurai films to various influences in terms of symbolism and let's not forget that Japan has a love for robots and technology. Your insistence on asking why the Japanese love it yet there are no Asians in the OT is a bit like asking why black people might have liked A New Hope. The question would be better to ask how they felt when someone of their race were to be shown in it. Why Have I loved Star Wars and yet there has never been any gay people in it? Well that's simple.. because I enjoy space ships and sci-fi. If Poe Dameron ended up being a gay character.. I would absolutely be happy about it. Having a strong gay character who isn't tied to stereotypes would be incredible and yeah - I'd feel as though it would be a representation of me and what is important to me. There was also an inkling that he could be.. I don't think it will happen.. and I don't really mind if it doesn't - but if it did - I wouldn't feel that it is out of place for the character given what we saw in Force Awakens (StormPilot) and it would be a true landmark in terms of having a central, heroic gay character in an action film.

If anyone is being condescending - it's you.. since you insist on saying "little people". You're actually being a total cunt. I mean.. how dare I be pleased that we are finally seeing some more balance and equality in films in terms of race and also gender. I mean yeah.. how condescending? Seriously.. fuck off with that shit. But hey.. you're a straight white male.. what would you know about being seen as less? You have the gall for having a go at me because I have said that I like diversity.. and that I like seeing equal representation.I am part of a minority group... so I kinda understand the idea of what it feels like to be included and the happiness that can bring to people...

I have a soft spot for Vietnam because I love the place and would consider living there later in life.. and what.. that makes me condescending because I am happy that there was some Vietnamese representation in a movie that I like?

What - am I being condescending when I say that I am really happy that Bioware and now other studioes are making it possible for LGBT people to be included and represented in videogames? It's the same thing.

Exactly how would YOU say that you appreciate and enjoy seeing equal representation in something you love without being as you put it - "condescending".


02 Jan 2018 10:28 pm
Profile
Regular Member
Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2006 08:12 pm
Posts: 1389
Location: Melbourne
Gamertag: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin
It's more about representing the people in the same country as the film's origin rather than other markets. Otherwise we'd be asking why there aren't more white people in Asian and Indian films.

I'm a firm believer that a character should be that character though. Not a fan of pandering by changing sex or race of established characters. Create new ones to be awesome in their own right.

_________________
Image


03 Jan 2018 11:05 am
Profile
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:54 am
Posts: 4097
Mavy, you can't use sound logic like that against racists like General Cyberfunk who think it's somehow not racism to single out white people if they don't like a movie.

_________________
Vzzzbx, you lose again!


04 Jan 2018 11:19 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 5649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.