2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo query...

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ben
Southpoor

2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo query...

Post by Ben »

Would I be stupid for considering to buy any of these??

I saw the 2GB pro duo for sale on Play-Asia for $100 and thought that was pretty fucking cheap, considering the last I remembered of 1GB sticks was $120.... so I checked out ebay, and there are as I linked to a bunch of them for sub-$100.

I hadn't really looked around for cards or anything for a while, as I've used my PSP just for normal stuff since I upgraded and hadn't used the video/music etc very much, but at that price I'm very interested..

I was thinking though, where is the catch?? Is there a catch? I thought they might have super hiked up postage costs, and to an extent they do, around $20-$30, but it still comes in at under $100 for most of those...
So aside from the usual feedback checking, is there anything dodgy about these? Or have the memory stick prices just fallen shitloads since I last looked?[/url]
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Avoid eBay, avoid international sellers, I'd recommend only buying from australian computer stores. So much counterfeit crap out there it's ridiculous.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Yup... I got a counterfiet one, albeit a pretty good one. Luckily, mine seems to run fine in my phone (k750) but I seem to be in the minority. I've heard that many reports of people who can't use the full capacity or their card dies within the first week... definitely stick with Aussie retailers. If you're looking at a place like play-asia, check for reports from other customers to make sure they're selling legit cards.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Apparently there are a lot of fake sony memory sticks out there, especially on ebay. From what i have heard they're just generic memory sticks branded as sony ones. They could work fine but may not perform the same transfer speed wise as official sticks. It's really hard to tell if you got a legit stick or not too. From benchmarks i've seen too the sandisk ones appear to be better performers vs the sony ones and usually you can get em cheaper than official sony sticks.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

hmmm, I wondered why there was so many cheap ones on there.. Play-Asia have been very reliable for me in the past, I'm not sure they would be selling counterfit ones but I guess you never know.

From memory I bought my last stick from ebay, though it was only a sandisk 512MB one.
I thought the missing capacity of cards was just inherent in the way they were designed? kind of like how HDD's have a small amount of data missing too?

I'm still really tempted to pick up one at those prices.. $65~ for a 2GB sounds awesome.. but it's probably too good to be true.
mech

Post by mech »

Exactly dude, if it's too good to be true, it is. The last few cards I've bought from overseas that have been branded with a well-known company have been counterfeits. They generally work but every now and again shit themselves and lose all your data. Ironically, it's the "no-name" cards which are less likely to be counterfeit.

You'll almost certainly regret it if you do buy from one of these mega-cheap sellers. Just use http://www.staticice.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find cheap aussie sellers (blows my mind how few people seem to know about this search engine)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yeah I think I'll give it a miss, cheaper, but the potential for a lot more wasted.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Also never forget that time is money. Go local go express post (if you have to) and be up and running much faster.

OK OK so I'm impatient!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I think I got a fake mem card. It had good data transfer rates and didn't f up once. I was really happy with it.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p