Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Its a wonder wolverine didnt appear more often in that list.....he is in every other comic out there.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

werd Wolverine is over rated.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Well I actually prefer Hellblazer to anything Xmen but it would be like putting cocacola(hell even pepsi) behind 7up in a fizzy drink list.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Okay here is the stuff from The Spirit I was talking about.

First of all the artwork

This is worlds beyond what was out at the time., the lines and detail are amazing. Art back then was very simple, it was heavy lines, zero detail. Most people were just an outline. The close up of the evil doctor, the shading, the detail in his lab. It is fantastic.

Oh oh also notice how he doesn't stick everything in a panel. Things are allowed outside of the borders. Also, it's not a bunch of simple squares. He was redefining what a comic should be.

Next is the narration:

While the dialogue is very hammy and simple, he was allowed to add so much detail in telling the story. There is pages of this poetic detailed stuff. It is fantastic. I could imagine in 1940, you are used to reading "meanwhile" and "in the lab of Dr Morose", then BAM words and words of narration. It would have blown my mind at the time.

Nxt is for a bit of a laugh, the world really has changed since then.

If you drew that these days you would probably be arrested.

Last bit, just because it is cool... get your 3D glasses on!

I read a few pages and it works so damn well. Bring back 3D comics I say :D

From a single issue I can see why there is such a thing as The Eisner Award. The man really changed what comics were. He was telling deep stories in a world of squares and heavy handed art. Sheer genius... seriously, writing outside of his time... I guess that was a good thing though. It really showed people that comics were more than something on the back of the newpaper to amuse you.

heh... I have quickly become such a fanboy :)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like HBO has decided to not go ahead with The Preacher TV series.

From Mark Steven Johnson who was developing the series with HBO
"We were budgeting and everything and it was getting really close to going," Johnson told The Continuum. "But the new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point!”
Bugger... that would have been awesome.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

The Stand issue 1 is out this week.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

just finished the Civil War trade and it was heaps good. I think the last 5 trades i bort were written by Millar, he is genius. Currently reading:

Naruto vol 12 (its like crack)
Ultimates 2 Grand theft America (Millar)
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Just finished vol 2 of Garyh Ennis The Boys and all I can say is fuck me this comic is so funny and wrong at the same time. With riffs on all your fave characters and the invention of some truly original ones of their own this book goes from strength to strength.

In closing all I can say is hope we get more of 'Love Sausage' in future!

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Read Batman: The Killing Joke (2008 Deluxe Hardcover Edition) the other day.

Really enjoyed it. It's short, but enjoyable - the influence of this can be plainly seen in Chris Nolan's Dark Knight.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

The Boys is fantastic. I think Garth Ennis is the funniest writer out there. Like genuinely funny. Doesn't go for the obvious humour...

Ennis is a god IMO. His writing style is so fantastic. Read his stuff in Hellblazer. He really made the character for me.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Just finihsed the first volume of All Star Superman. Unlike the All Star Batman this effort is much more interesting that 'the goddamned Batman' that featured in Frank Millers writing. Quitely's art is brilliant as usual and Morrison's writing returns Supes to a proper sci-fi type universe with lots of cool experiements going on and things going wrong. Loved it.
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

The Boys is just brilliant! So glad they managed to find it a new home instead of cancelling it. Hope you guys actually pickup the graphic novels / issues when you see em so it stays not cancelled! :)
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

All-Star Superman is my favourite. Issue 12 is out this week.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yep, I am hanging out for issue 12 of All Star Superman. The All Star series one line of figurines should be out this week too.

I'm going to get myself a Quitely Superman :D

I'm going to add The Boy's to my comic bag. It's too damn good to not buy. I'll go back and get the volumes too. Hughie and the muff diving :D
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

i already hav the first 2 vols of The Boys. Did anyone check the Green Lantern Corps/Sinestro War when it was out in the shops? I really think I would dig and am waiting for the trade, was it heaps uber-cool?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Oaky bit more research on The Stand. Cause I thought 3 comics was kind of short.

It is a 3 part series, but each part is divided into a few comics each.

First part is Captain Trips which is 5 issues. So those who are looking for this series, please keep this in mind.

I've gotta get myself into the city and pick up my comics... I am so lazy. Also I wanna see if they have any figurines.

Oh, while I am thinking of it... this weeks comics for Kings Comics in Sydney had an order malfunction with Diamond (they are the big comic distributor). Apparently Diamond accidently sent most of their order to other stores... so if you buy through Kings (and I order a bit online from them) you might have to wait until next week to get your comics.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

just got this off ebay cuz it was cheap as hell due to bad listing and wrong catagory. Image
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

GreyWizzard wrote:Oh, while I am thinking of it... this weeks comics for Kings Comics in Sydney had an order malfunction with Diamond (they are the big comic distributor). Apparently Diamond accidently sent most of their order to other stores... so if you buy through Kings (and I order a bit online from them) you might have to wait until next week to get your comics.
I can't stand Kings Website. It is soo slow and messy. It looks like it was made in 1999.

Havent checked out this thread in a long time. Kudos on the Upkeep GreyWizzard.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just reading through DC's Bloodlines, and I was thinking that it would be awesome if a company did another series like this. Gave writers a chance to get some new ideas down and see how the public receives them.

Look at Bloodlines, we got Hitman :D

But it would be cool to see some new heroes step into the more popular lines.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Hitman was a lot of fun until the 6-issue SAS story arc, then it became a mess of bad art (a shame because I like McCrea's style, Dicks was fucking awesome) and slow plotting, Ennis at his lowest. I wish someone with some balls at DC (looking at Morrison) to bring Tommy back, maybe give him a position in Constantine's sphere of influence.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

ooohh

The Stand Captain Trips Issue 2 is out this week.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

The Boys 23, I like where this story is going :D

Next months double cover is an homage to Animal House.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

December 08

Garth Ennis

Steve Dillon

The Punisher War Zone

'nuff said.
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

I went into the local store today (Quality Comics, Perth) and found that they are shutting down. So everything is 50% while they try to clear it all out. Managed to pick up a sweet Spider-man zombie statue for $50.

I'll have to try and find other alternatives to get my comic fix.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

oh shit dude your local is closing? I hope this doesnt happen in Hoabrt.