Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I doubt they would compare to a dedicated store Grimey, but Borders has a decent collection.

I bought Watchmen there. Great story, really can't wait for the movie.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

I am seeing how much capital I can raise. I wouldnt mind having a look at their books to see if it is worthwhile taking the place over.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'd love to own a comic store...
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Coolest job eveeerrr
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Anyone wanting to own a comic book store needs to read the following columns:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fascinating stuff.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just read issue 1 of Punisher War Zone by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. OMG it is pure genius. It just remind you how great Welcome Back Frank was. Garth's writing is as witty as ever, and Dillon's artwork is fantastic. Over the top gore, and I love how he details Frank's face. He just captures the old war horse. Fantastic.

I've always had issues with the similarities of characters in Dillon's work.. but I dunno... he just captures Frank Castle so damn well.

It's a weekly comic, 6 issues, the return of Ma Gnucci, and The Elite for special fun :D
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Anyone been reading Final Crisis?

Major Spoiler Warning for FC #6 so don't click if you don't want to know

[Click to see hidden content]
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

fucken I would be reading it dood if I had the cash flow, I need to go back to the start of 52 and start again.

Can has a MEGA-trade with all ishooz?

Last edited by BruceCamblzChin on 15 Jan 2009 05:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

I read all of 52 but dropped Countdown all together.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

omg... I want that cover as a massive poster. JG Jones just blew me... away.

I haven't read any of this 52 crisis final crisis stuff. I tend to shy away from the mainstream storylines.

Maybe I should read it all... Are there convenient trades I can pickup?
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

52 is in two trade volumes
Countdown is still going (I think)
Then there is one more issue of Final Crisis before they bundle all of that up.

That wasn't the cover...that was the final page for that issue
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

If you want to fully understand what is going on with Final Crisis you have to read the following (preferably in order):

Batman/Superman - There is trade that details the rise and fall of Luthor as President - can't remember the name of it though, it collects the first 10 issues or so. It is the first time since since the first crisis that hints it is about to begin again.

Identity Crisis - Pretty much kicks off the return "Crisis'" to the DCU. Fantastic story as well. Links heavily to Infinite Crisis and 52

Green Lantern: Rebirth - Not absolutely necessary to read but it reintroduces Hal Jordan to the DCU and is one of the best stories ever written. Links into 52.

Seven Soldiers of Victory - Its continuity is a little muddled but it does take place before Infinite Crisis (by about a week I think) and it shows the New Gods are on Earth in human form. Links heavily to Final Crisis.

Infinite Crisis - Not as Earth-shattering as everyone was expecting but still a great story and I loved the ending.

52 - I thought it would be a gimmick but it turned out to be fantastic, one of the best series ever written. There were some bum notes here and there but it managed to reinvigorate the DCU without the Big 3. Links into Final Crisis.

Countdown - I actually recommend you don't read this series because it was a mess, badly written and its continuity was rendered moot by the first issue of Final Crisis. It does explain why Mary Marvel became evil and the return of the Monitors though.

Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps - Geoff Johns is IMO the best writer of the last 5 years, this story was fantastic. It expands on Alan Moore's prophecy of the end of times for the GLC and sets up storylines current in the FC series (Red Lanterns specifically).

Final Crisis - For obvious reasons.

I haven't read many of the tie-in books this time but I managed to read Batman RIP and Rogue's Revenge (great story). I forget the name of the book but I recommend the book in which the Martian Manhunter dies, it was a nice story, particularly the end. What happened in FC6 has been hinted at for a long time now so it wasn't surprise. Him being my favourite character in the DCU I was pretty disappointed though.

It worked for Captain America though.
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

The thing with that can be confusing with FC is its reference to SSoV.

I have never been a fan of Green Lantern but Sinestro Corps is awesome and I am looking forward to Darknest night. I can have a good guess who the new black lantern :wink:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

What day do comics come out in the US?

I've always wondered this...
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

They usually ship on a Wednesday.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I forgot to add Countdown to Infinite Crisis One-Shot. A really touching story of how the 2nd Blue Beetle bought it.

Regarding Batman I can't see him being gone for long because he isn't actually dead, he is just trapped in the Omega Sanction like Mister Miracle was recently. And if, like one comment I read, Mister Miracle can escape then Batman should have no problems at all
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

man DC and Marvelshouldpublish their comics like shonen jump do I would buy them heaps if they didnt charge me like 5 bucks for eachchapter of the story I dislike individual issues.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Street Fighter Legends Chun Li issue 1 came out last week.

I just had a read of it, awesome Sagat with 2 eyes :D

I'm more interested in the Hibiki side story then the Chun Li story... how strange is that? I guess it is because I know more about Chun Li then Dan.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just read the first issue of the new G.I. Joe series. I kinda like it. It seems like it is going to be a pretty cool reboot. The Joe's are the best of the best of the best and don't really have any major league bad guys to fight. There are whispers of a new criminal group called Cobra. I think the first few story lines could be completely kick arse.

I like that everone is in army greens instead of outlandish outfits... except for Snake Eyes. He has to wear the suit, it's a requirement.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I've decided to go through all the What If? comics again. Oh man the world was different... So much "you're just a girl Sue" and "We won't go into the details of our escape at this point in time".

It's pretty cool though, interesting to get all these other ideas out of the marvel universe. I just wish it was a little more out there though... kinda like Elseworlds, the greatest alternate universe series :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Interview with Garth Ennis, about Hitman. It's a little old, he is talking about just finishing about the JLA Hitman crossover.
More just an overview of the series than anything else. But still pretty good.

I really wish DC would collect this series and put it out there. I would snap it up in a second. I love good bromance.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Exiles V4 came out last week... or the week before... But it's completely awesome. Morph is the timebroker.

I can't wait for more. One of the best most creative series to ever come out of Marvel IMO.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Hey check out my mates blog.

http://tuckercomics.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is a comics artist in Newfoundland, Canada and a mate of mine from Japan. He is working on a few graphic novels at the moment as you can see and has published work with Viper comics.

Give him love!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Anyone been reading the Noir series from Marvel? I read Spider-Man, which was okay... but I just read the fierst ish of Wolverine. OMFG! It's is bad arsed old school detective. So damn good, just hits the noir genre so well. Totally in love. :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Another question to the empty space...

Has anyone read any fo the Grimm Fairy Tales series? I was originally drawn to it by the sexy as covers. Hot busty chicks in tight outfits... but it turns out the comics are really fricking awesome. Each comic is a self contained story. You have a real world situation and then this mysterious woman shows up and either reads a story to the protagonist, or leaves a copy of her book with them. It will be one of Grimm's fairy tales and I am guessing the stories are closer to the original than the stuff we get in books today. The stories are really well told and you are left thinking about moral choices at the end of it... it pretty good, all the artowrk is kick arse, the writing is top notch and the chicks in the comics are drawn hot as.