Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Last week... hmmm... Kings Comics is getting shit.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Seeing this thread reminded me I have a whole box full of nearly 200 Sonic comics from years and years ago stashed away in a cupboard.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

I got Maus: The Complete Collection a few days ago. It's good, real good.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah, Maus is one of the best bit of literature I have ever read.

side note, people should get into New Universal. It is awesome. Issue 3 is out this week. Also if you want to get a bit political but also enjoy seeing superheroes kick the shit out of each other, grab the mini series Squadron Supreme: Hyperion V Nighthawk. Good look at some of the horrible shit that is happening in Africa.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Give me back the "normal" X-men with one of Kubert's and i'll be happy....
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

This is generally a one sided thread and I get that... I mean, it's comics... but just out of interest, for the comic readers, what are your:

Favourite Writer

- Garth Ennis, for his over the top work, and also detailed characters
- Brian Michael Bendis, the man can write a real conversation.

Favourite Artist

- Alex Ross, nuff said.

Favourite Character

- Superman :D first comic I ever read, inspired me to learn to read.

Favourite Comic

- Watchmen
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I'm not a huge comic book reader, but for me:

Favourite Writer

- Frank Miller (except for The Dark Knight Strikes Again which is the dictionary definition of craptacular)

Favourite Artist

- Alex Ross

Favourite Character

- Batman

Favourite Comic

- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
- Kingdom Come
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I'm not really keeping up with 'releases' and have just decided to keep getting as many trades of series I like instead. Oh and ofcourse the public library always supplies me with a bit of new release marvel.

I dont have a huge knowlege of the industry but my list goes:

Writer - Garth Ennis (based off what I've read of the darkness, witchblade and punisher.)

Artist - Eric powell(the goon, billy the kid, other dark horse random shit)

Character - Ghost rider(kinda cheesed there is a movie coming out, just like batman and spiderman the characters appeal is cheapened around the release of a big movie)

Comic - Rob Zombie Spookshow international
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Alex Ross is my favourite artist I have a few of his pieces at home. One of all the Avengers and the other of Superman.

Did anyone else get Spider-Man: Reign #1? See the penis shot in it?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

The official season 8 of Buffy is out now.

Darkhorse comics. Careful not to get ripped off by the variant cover. I prefer the original cover, buffy and the sword thing nto buffy and the big scary demon thing.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I have to recommend this to every one, Girls by the Luna Brothers. It is frigging amazing. Such a great story and some great dialogue.

Do what ever you have to do to get your hands on it.

It's up to ep 23 so far. Issue 24, the final ep, should be out next month :D Oh man it is so awesome. I love it.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I read the first trade of Girls, not that impressed by it. The artwork was very clean but not really inspired. Storytelling was also a little flat. I read Ultra as well and felt the same. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I just think it is a great small town scifi monster story :D It floats my boat heh.

I guess it might now be for everyone... I just love the dark humour and many "oh fuck" moments.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Recent purchases:

Marvel Zombies: Dead days - Was really excited to see some more marvel zombies stories written in their own style/art/universe rather than more crossover stories. I thought it was an enjoyable read that suffered the same problems as the original marvel zombies series. A snowballing story that reaches an anticlimax in order to wrap things up in time. Although I am yet to read the UFF which has zombie FF entering the ultimate universe and am less familiar with the FF than 'core fans'; I found it very weak and out of character there is just a page devoted to explaining why the FF decided to embrace the virus. Its virtually unexplained. Poor ending but yea still enjoyed seeing more marvel zombies in that inky style of drawing from the first.

The goon: Satans Sodomy Baby - short on content for the cover price but will make you laugh in the way only the goon can. There is much better goon out there but this had me laughing and had the usual 'animated' jokes. I just love how 'alive' eric powells work is.

Witchblade compendium edition - issues 1-50 for $70, totally worth it. weighs bout 3 kg, heh. Great series, finally collected in an easy way. Just dont trust the binding on such a big book - as I use alot of comics as reference material I dont think it will last the hard yards and eventually I think pages will start falling out.

I also read Fantastic four: Books of Doom from the library. Tells the story of Dr Doom. I really enjoy these sorts of comics that reveal the history of a character and clear up alot of questions. This book draws me ever closer to a real FF fan, something I am not sure I am proud of.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just finished Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show. Holy crap, what an awesome comic. Such a great story and such awesome characters. I can highly recommend it.

Waiting for my copies of Stardust and I am Legend to ship... stupid Stardust is on backorder...

Which is also tied to my order of Batzarro and Bizarro figurines... man I so want them... based on the Superman/Batman comic series from Jeph Loeb.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just read the mini series (2 issues) of JLA/Hitman.

Hitman was the greatest comic series ever written. I loved Preacher but Hitman was just a million times better. Reading this new comic really makes me realise just how much I love that series... it just brings back so many awesome moments... so many funny moments and so many touching moments.

If you ever decide to start reading comics, I suggest Hitman is the place to start.

Hopefully if sales go well with JLA/Hitman DC will release trade paperbacks of Hitman in its entireity. That would be the most awesome thing ever.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Mark Millar has a new series out called Kick-Ass. I highly recommend this comic series. Only 3 issues in and it has already been picked up for a film adaption.

It's about a comic book fan who decides to one day don a suit and become a hero. The title of the comic says it all really. Cause it truly is kick arse.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Been reading the Death Note manga, really enjoying it. I normally dont bother with manga because so little individual personality goes into the way its drawn but I flipped through the first few pages of the first book of this and story has totally gripped me. Cant seem to get each new book fast enough.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

cool, I have watched a few eps of the tv series and it has me intrigued.

I haven't tried reading manga... I mean I have read some stuff by Udon but that doesn't really count.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Yea either had I (tried manga) till now. Get to your local library and or torrent site and give it a shot. I think western comics are probably better at telling the story visually but Deathnote definately succeeds at being a gripping and fast paced story line. Which I was surprised by, as I find the animated version of manga to be far too still and slow paced. Reading it actually made it all far snappier and entertaining.
Last edited by BOOMY on 08 Jul 2008 02:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Death note movies are good too, Asian Eye cinema has a two-movie set out.

Naruto is a fun read if you haven't got in to manga, but srsly if you have never read any you are missing out on the biggest amount of comics in the world.

Lone Wolf and Cub will rock your world if you can find some of those volumes about, plus Lady Snowblood, Masamune Shirow stuff. Those authors espesh, when you are reading them its like reading a movie, I cant think of any other way to describe it, with the sounds and angles and the way the Jap authors aren't scared of having several panels/pages of silence, its a different more adult world when compared to the US industry for sure. No disrespect to Western comics, they rule too, but the general concensus is still one of 'comics are for kids and nerds' despite superhero movies being the flavour of the month.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

On advice I picked up death note manga. It is hard getting used to reading right to left. The speech bubbles threw me the most.

All good, I really like the pacing in it too.

I have always been interested in Wolf and Cub so I might track that down too.
van

Post by van »

I finally got around to reading Millar's Wanted series the other week. It's alright, I guess. Wasn't disappointing, but it didn't really have much of an impact on me.

As for manga, I have to recommend Vagabond. It's by Takehiko Inoue, the creator of Slam Dunk. Don't let that put you off though (in case any of you don't like Slam Dunk), it's really damn good. Follows the life of a fictional version of Musashi Miyamoto, the legendary Japanese swordsman. So damn good, and the art! Fwoar.

Other faves are Hajime no Ippo (boxing), Crying Freeman (absolute classic), Great Teacher Onizuka (damn funny), Over Rev! (a driving manga), Yakitate! Japan (bread baking hahah), Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō - aka YKK (visually stunning, slow-paced slice of life manga), Hikaru no Go (the Japanese board game Go), 20th Century Boys... what else... Akira obviously, that's a given. Can't think of what else I've read.

90% of manga is absolute shit, you can trust that. But then, a hell of a lot of US comics are absolute shit as well. So you just gotta trust in your friends to refer you to the right titles!
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Lone Wolf and Cub ruuuuuuuuuuuuuulzzzzz! :mental:
Reka

Post by Reka »

Yeah Grey - Kick-Ass is awesome. #3 ended so well and I'm eager for #4 to come out.

Everyone even slightly interested in Superhero comics should read it. :up:
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]