Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Today I got:
The ultimates annual #2, still to read it.

Zombies Feast #3, Im pissed off! Gone are the high quality almost photo like backgrounds and highly detailed characters, relpaced with thick lined pics that look like they were done in flash by some teenager 5 mins after the pencil sketch. They changed artist from Chris Bolton to Enrique Lopez, the whole reason I was drawn to this miniseries was how good the art was - now not only does it look less detailed and ALOT less polished but they can't seem to keep the characters looking like themselves for more than 1 panel. In Issue #1 and #2 there is this skinhead with a swastika on his forehead, in every shot he looks like the same guy as you'd expect - in issue #3 every shot of him looks completely different not even retaining the same headshape. I guess that explains the big delay since issue #2, but I am pissed! I would rather it be canned than picked up by someone else who has clearly molested it till its no longer worth molesting. I was looking forward to 5 issues of high quality art, but now about the only thing I give a shit about is completing the set and connecting the 5 covers together.

The walking Dead #30, I dont really have much idea what is happening but I thought I'd just check out a couple of walking dead issues and track down the collection of it if it grips me/has good zombie pics. Its also cool that is only completed to the inking stage and no colour was added, this always makes it easier to use the poses and expressions as reference for your own drawings.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

My housemate got my comics for me while he was in the coty today, what a nice man :D

I was erading Comic shop news, and they said that there is a "My Name Is Earl" comic coming. I think it will all be one shots.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

big releases this week are:

From Vertigo we have American Splendor # 1

Marvel Has 1602 Fantastick Four #1

other titles you can debate amongst yourselves :P
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I wnat Major bummer back, fucking DC getting rid of good shit. Least Lobo is coming back.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Has anyone read Trasnformers Evolutions? Set on an alternate reality, where the transformers are awoken in the 1800's. Steam Gears!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

In comics this week:

PRIDE OF BAGHDAD
Written by Brian K. Vaughan Art and cover by Niko Henrichon From one of America's most acclaimed comics writers - a startlingly original look at life on the streets of Baghdad during the Iraq War inspired by true events. In this provocative graphic novel, Vaughan examines life on the streets of war-torn Iraq. The experience is made all the more evocative by the lush, spectacular artwork of Niko Henrichon (BARNUM!). In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from the Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives. In documenting the plight of the lions, PRIDE OF BAGHDAD raises questions about the true meaning of liberation - can it be given, or is it earned only through self-determination and sacrifice? And in the end, is it truly better to die free than to live life in captivity? Based on a true story, Vaughan and Henrichon have created a unique and heartbreaking window into the nature of life during wartime, illuminating this struggle as only the graphic novel can.
Sounds pretty interesting.

BATMAN GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT
Written by Brian Augustyn Cover by Mike Mignola Art by by Mignola, Eduardo Barreto and P. Craig Russell Presenting for the first time the adventures of the Victorian Era Batman in one 112-page edition! This volume includes the breakthrough Elseworlds specials GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT and MASTER OF THE FUTURE that pit the Dark Knight againt Jack the Ripper and a death-dealer from the skies over Gotham!
I've read these batman comics and they are both a ripper of a yarn.

SUPERMAN INFINITE CITY SC
Written by Mike Kennedy Art and cover by Carlos Meglia Don't miss this softcover edition of the acclaimed hardcover written by Mike Kennedy (Star Wars: Underworld) and featuring distinctive visuals by Carlos Meglia (ACTION COMICS)! Welcome to Infinite City, where futuristic technology and magic co-exist. But can Superman defeat his doppleganger, the Warden, so that he and Lois Lane may return home?
ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP ULTIMATE COLLECTION TP
ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP ULTIMATE COLLECTION TPB Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS Penciled by MATT WAGNER, PHIL HESTER, MIKE ALLRED, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, JOHN TOTLEBEN, CHYNNA CLUGSTON-MAJOR, JIM MAHFOOD,TED MCKEEVER, TERRY MOORE, DAVID MACK & RICK MAYS New Cover by LEINIL YU Collecting all 16 issues of Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, plus the star-studded Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special! Teenager Peter Parker may just have started out in the crime-fighting game, but there are plenty of heroes and villains already doing their thing. And it doesn't take long for Spider-Man to encounter these strange new allies and enemies - including Wolverine, the Hulk, Iron Man, the Punisher, Daredevil, the Fantastic Four, the Man-Thing, the X-Men, Doctor Strange, the Black Widow, Shang-Chi and more! Take a wild tour through the ever-exciting Ultimate universe, as Eisner Award-winning writer Brian Michael Bendis teams up with the comic industry's greatest artistic talents! Through the eyes of Peter Parker, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up showcases all the Ultimate heroes. From uncanny mutants to gleaming Avengers to rampaging green brutes, this volume has it all! Collects ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP #1-16 and THE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL. 448 PGS
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I just read the Clerks special edition comic. Tales From the Quick. If you haven't read it, it gives details of the funeral scene. It is some of the funniest stuff I have ever read. Kevin Smith knows comedy.
van

Post by van »

Damn Grey, that's some old comic action right there! Very good read though :)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I just want to say Brian Michael Bendis is one of the greatest comic writers ever.

moving on...

This week in comics:

from Dark Horse

PERHAPANAUTS TP
There are places in this world where the fabric of reality has worn thin, where strange and terrible creatures have crossed over to lurk in the shadows and the night. There is an organization dedicated to finding these creatures and sending them back from whence they came, sealing the rift behind them, and maintaining the integrity of those borders. The organization is called BEDLAM. Its agents are . . . The Perhapanauts! • Now, for the first time ever, collected especially for you in this widely popular trade paperback format, the critically acclaimed, highly sought after four-issue miniseries that started it all--The PERHAPANAUTS! And, if you act now, we'll also include the never-before-seen (well, seen by a few…) unaired, original pilot, '7 Months Earlier.' Also included are rare outtakes, character bios, pinups by some of the industry's brightest stars, and an introduction by comics artist and reader, Mike Wieringo (Spider-Man; Tellos; Fantastic Four).
From DC Comics

WETWORKS #1
WETWORKS: WORLDSTORM #1 Written by Mike Carey Art by Whilce Portacio & Trevor Scott Cover by Portacio & Richard Friend Variant cover A by Ethan Van Sciver Variant cover B by Portacio Fan-favorite artist Whilce Portacio's legendary special forces team returns in classic fashion, aided and abetted by acclaimed writer Mike Carey (HELLBLAZER, LUCIFER)! Dane, team leader of Wetworks, is on a mission. He's forming a new team with the best of the worst. It's a bad world, filled with vampires, werewolves and all manner of nasty creatures. Someone's got to keep them in line. That's Wetworks' job - and it's not going to be easy.
QUITTER SC
THE QUITTER SC Written by Harvey Pekar Art and cover by Dean Haspiel 'Pekar's most poignant and satisfying effort to date.' - The New York Times Book Review 'A searingly honest memoir… Pekar's work dignifies the struggle of the average man.' - Publishers Weekly (Starred Review) 'The brilliance of THE QUITTER rests in how Pekar unironically exposes the tragedy of missed opportunities and the general ridiculousness of human behavior. Grade: A.' - Entertainment Weekly 'Brutally honest…' - Rolling Stone Don't miss this new softcover edition of the award-nominated graphic novel telling the story of Harkey Pekar's troubled teen years for the first time. With gritty, atmospheric artwork by indie-comics luminary Dean Haspiel (American Splendor, Opposable Thumbs), THE QUITTER is both Pekar's funniest and most heart-wrenching work yet.
KRYPTO THE SUPER DOG #1
KRYPTO THE SUPERDOG #1 Written by Jesse Leon McCann Art by Min S. Ku & Jeff Albrecht Cover by Scott Jeralds Flying in from his hit TV cartoon, Krypto the Superdog arrives with a fun-filled 6-issue miniseries! Follow the exciting adventures of the Last Pup of Krypton as he arrives on Earth, meets his host family and friend Kevin, and fights crime with his stalwart companions!
From Marvel

UNION JACK #1
UNION JACK #1 (of 4) Written by CHRISTIOS GAGE Pencils & Cover by MIKE PERKINS Spinning out of CAPTAIN AMERICA, Britain's premier super hero has mere hours to prevent multiple terrorist attacks on London by an army of super-villains! UNION JACK leads SABRA and the new ARABIAN KNIGHT into battle! But when his boss at MI5 risks innocent lives to bring down the enemy, Union Jack faces a tough choice--and the fate of London itself rests on his decision. Don't miss the limited series that redefines Union Jack for the 21st century, with stunning pencils by fan-favorite CAPTAIN AMERICA ARTIST MIKE PERKINS! Guest starring: SABRA, ARABIAN KNIGHT, BATROC THE LEAPER, MACHETTE, ZARAN, BOOMERANG, CROSSFIRE, JACK O'LANTERN, SHOCKWAVE, and more! It's all here, baby!
BLADE #1
BLADE #1 Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM Penciled by HOWARD CHAYKIN Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC Spider-Man-a vampire! Dracula, Lord of the Undead! A classroom of bloodsucking 4th graders! And that's just the first five pages! Join Howard Chaykin (Avengers, American Flagg) and Marc Guggenheim (Wolverine, CSI: Miami) for a new series featuring the popular character who has launched three movies and a TV series. This self-contained first issue is perfect for both new readers and longtime fans.

Just one thing, I know a lot more comics then this come out every week. I am just highlighting the any new series' that are starting up or any TP that are comign out.
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

No word of Civil War #4 this week?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yes, civil war #4 should be out this week.

along with

civil war Xmen # 3

Civil War: Amazing Spider-Man - Decisions (I think this is a reprint)
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Ok better head in and find out what Thor is up to.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

DC are reimagining Gen-13! awesome-o! I might grab myself a copy on the weekend.
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Finally Ultimates #12 came out. Have been a little behind getting my books with being OS and all
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Oh, also out this week from Marvel Ultimate Power #1. Reed Richards punches a hole into the Supremeverse while trying to find a cure for Ben. I love what Marvel has done with the old Squadron Supreme, it has been one of the best series in such a long time. Also Brian Michael Bendis (Alias, The Pulse, Powers) is writing it. This should be a pretty damn cool mini series.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Holy crap! The supergirl bust is also out this week. Oh man, I haven't been to the comic store in ages. So much cool stuff to get.

$70, it's so mine!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Transformers Movie Adaption Vol 1 is out this week. It has all new artwork and has some fresh new scenes. Done by the guy who did the 80's transformer comics.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Darkhorse is releasing a Hellgate London comic series based on the soon to be released video game.

synopsis
Years have passed and humanity's war against the invading demonic forces continues to rage with no end in sight. Men of arms and magic have sought to bring to an end the reign of hell the demons have brought to the once proud city of London. Humanity's last hope lies in discerning the true nature of an arcane symbol known as the SIGIL. Inscribed somewhere upon the very face of the city, the sigil's focal points are marked by potent artifacts of unearthly energy. If it is to survive, the surviving humans must discover the true nature of the sigil or be damned to oblivion!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I should just do edits...

DC is releasing a Texas Chainsaw Massacre comic. It comes in two different covers.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Transformers Evolutions: Heart Of Steel TP comes out this week. I can't wait to get my hands on it, Set in an alternate dimension, The Transofrmers awaken in the steam age :D Megatron is a cannon :D
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I was at the book exchange recently and got excited when I saw some new Transformers comics. I then realised upon opening them that they were only reprints of the original US series.

Which then got me thinking....what in the fuck happened to my awesome collection of TF toys and comics? Piles of toys in spic and span condition, piles of comics from the US and UK....gone. I suspect I can last trace them back to when we moved from Cairns to Canberra at the end of 1990. I suspect my parents tossed them out.

I also wonder why I didn't ask WTF happened. Was I abducted by aliens?
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

If anyone is interested, it has been mentioned that Jeph Loeb will be writing Ulitmates Series 3.

Jeph Loeb of Heroes and Teen Wolf Too fame.

I can't wait for more Ultimates... when did comics become like TV shows and have off seasons?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

In other comics book news, I picked up Newuniversal from Marvel. It is a reimagining of New Universe Marvel did back in the 80's. Written by Warren Ellis.

So far seems to be centred on 3 main characters, awesome to see Starbrand back in a comic :D I am hoping they have him fight the dude who was becoming as dense as a star. That fight was so awesome when I was a kid.

I can't wait for issue 2, due out very shortly apparently.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Spider-Ham Infinite Crisis is due out this week. Co startting Wolverham! It sounds pretty tragic, I might have to get it.
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

It came out last week. It was shit.