Comics!

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Re: Comics!

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Picked up the Final Crisis and Blackest Night trades this arvo, I am a full on DC fanboy!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just read Kurt Busiek's Secret Identity. Excellent comic that captures life so well.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Interdimensional, universe ending, Time travelling crises are what DC does best! Final Crisis frikkin rules!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

After watching Under The Red Hood I thought I should read Under The Hood.

It's crazy how close UTRH is to UTH... huge chunks of dialogue, some of the same framing... just fantastic. I do like how they ammended Jason's return though, it makes more sense and it doesn't require a crisis. The comic has some better moments due to being able to use the entire DC universe, but I think the movie has a better Joker. The scene with Black Mask and the Joker in the interrogation room is amazing. Joker at the end... ehhh... it could have had more Joker work.

Great comic, but I think the movie tells it a little better. Although I do miss the massive amount of inner monologues that you find in a Batman comic.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Grabbed Final Crisis and realised that I had never read 52, so am going to work through that first.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Comics!

Yeah I should have finished that first too.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I decided to read Final Crisis, and then thought that maybe I should read 52, but then I thought I should probably read Infinite Crisis... and OMG I just read Countdown to Crisis, with the Blue Beetle... holy fuck... I was guessing it was going to happen to Kord, but jesus, I really wasn't expecting it to be like that.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Comics!

Word.

DC for life.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just finished Infinite Crisis. It's okay... there were some very cool moments in it, but it didn't feel big enough. Yeah there were all the lead up bits which were pretty sweet... but after Crisis on Infinite Earths it felt a bit weak. Maybe I need to read some of 1 year later or something... I dunno. I do like how the whole Death of Superman was used as the point where comics started getting darker and more realistic. Then the bit with Earth-2 coming back and the heroes there saying how clean and bright it all is.

Some good moments, but it wasn't big enough for me. Maybe more in the actual comic series, and less in the side line comics.

Alright, time to start on 52.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I wasn't that excited by Final Crisis... to be honest I wasn't really sure what was going on half the time. Just seemed a bit rushed and not fleshed out. But to be honest I didn't read the count down to Final Crisis.

I liked Infinite Crisis, and 52 was pretty freaking awesome too.

I decided to read Battle For The Cowl before reading Blackest Night. I didn't mind Battle. Cool to see Grayson become Batman. Time to start on Blackest Night. This better be awesome!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

About halfway through Blackest Night, I've read issue 4 and have just finished the Guy Gardner Red Lantern Green Lantern Corps story line... so far this series has been brilliant. I'm hoping it ends on the high that it has been hitting so far. If it does it might be one of my favourite story lines ever.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Comics!

Tell me what's the word, Word Up!

Was in Melbourne Australia last week for metallica and picked up a few kilos of comics, including an extra Secret Invasion I forgot I'd fucken read it whatta bum, 30 dollar and it's yours, hardback edish.

Anyway got the Walking Dead omnibus coz I've only got the first trade, got some new Cap stuff, Kubert/Donner supes, Frank Cho pics of girls (splooge!), and the Kick Ass trade which was a bit different from the flick but suitably ahem kick ass.

ALso might be getting the 1/4 scale Batman statue from DC direct for Xmas, saw it in Comics R Us in Prahan and it was pretty sweet.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Kick Ass comic is way better than the film. Better ending, no stupid jet pack I'm a super hero now bullshit.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Oh man! Blackest Night was fucking awesome!

Wooo!!!
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Comics!

Cool new shirt from last exit to nowhere.

I want one heaps:

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I've read it before... but I must not have appreciated it last time or something...

John Byrne's Elseworld Saga "Generations"

All three series are just frigging amazing. So much awesome. It's about a DC universe that progresses in real time. Starts with Superman and Batman in 1939... So awesome.

Series 1 jumps in 10 year increments, series 2 in 11 year increments and series 3 in 100 year increments.

I highly recommend this to any fan of awesome comic books.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I was just reading through the first page... I was right into the whole talking about comics thing...

Just in case anyone is interested, Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #1 is out this week.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Reading the new Darkwing Duck series. This is just fantastic. It's like a massive love letter to the DW nerds.
van

Post by van »

Just finished reading the first issue of Nate Simpson’s Nonplayer six-issue comic miniseries, which follows a young woman as she deals with the realities of the future world she lives in, and the adventures she gets up to in a hugely advanced version of today’s MMOs.

Things take a turn when shit begins happening in the game that shouldn’t happen.

Excellent concept so far (I’m reminded of Cory Doctorow’s work), smooth dialogue, absolutely stunning and hugely detailed art, along with very nice type treatment.

Get your hands on it, online or off.

Nate Simpson interview at io9
Nonplayer preview
Nonplayer website
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Whoa! I dig that art, got detail out the wazoo like Masamune Shirow.
van

Post by van »

Yeah, he actually quotes Miyazaki as one of his influences in terms of detail and so forth.

But yeah, this is really worth checking out. I even paid for it, and you know that if I pay for something... well usually it's because I have no choice, but this time I had a choice and I totally bought it anyway.

US$2.99 digital version at https://comics.comixology.com/#/series/5807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
van

Post by van »

You fuckers checked out Nonplayer yet?

Just finished reading issue 1 of Infinite Vacation, a very cool take on the whole multiverse idea where we swap into the lives of alternate-reality selves courtesy of the right amount of money, and a convenient smartphone app.

Review: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ew&id=3076

The concept reminds me a little of that cheap ol' sci-fi film from 2001, Xchange. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242150/-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it seems to be a pretty good approach, so far. And I enjoyed Xchange, anyway.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Oh, I got a couple of trades over the weekend. The Boys volume 7, continues to be a depraved satire of superhero genre I mean Homelander ripped a dudes cock and balls off and raped people WTF then took some 'win dinner with homelander' winners up in to the sky told them it was all bullshit and dropped them screaming in to the ocean!!!

Oh and I got Punisher BORN. Frank Castle's origin as a sergeant in Vietnam. Pretty wikid.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I tried the first issue of Infinite Vacation... It seemed cool but just couldn't get into it.

I'm pretty much just stuck on the Ultimate universe for comics. They be killing Peter Parker :(
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I know I'm more mainstream these days... but is anyone else reading the Ultimates Universe at the moment? This Death Of Spider-Man story line is awesome. Bendis and Millar are just writing up a storm.